Your Big Chill At The Big House Primer

from Jeff Arnold of AnnArbor.com,

You have had the date circled on your calendar for months. You have your Big Chill At The Big House tickets in hand and even secured the obligatory T-shirt announcing to the free world that you were part of the largest crowd to ever witness a hockey game.

OK - so before you go out and purchase five copies of the Guinness Book of World Records to back up your shirt’s claim, let’s step back for a minute.

What do you actually know about what you are going to see Saturday at Michigan Stadium?

Maybe you are among the die-hard hockey lovers that can’t wait to see the puck drop on Michigan and Michigan State on Saturday (3 p.m., Fox Sports Detroit). Maybe you have committed both teams’ stat sheet to memory just to impress your friends.

But for the rest of you, oh, give or take 80,000 ticket holders who are coming along for the ride, we figured we would help you out.

continued

Filed in: Non-NHL Hockey, College Hockey, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

SnLO's avatar

Stupid observations and musings:

Not to denigrate Red Berenson or the Michigan program, but I find it an interesting observation that so many children with an association to the Detroit Red Wings are at MSU.

I may be looking too deeply at this: the Wings bring on Michigan alumni like Knuble and Ward, and don’t retain them. They pick Miller off waivers and (so far) hang on to Abdelkader (not that there is anything wrong with these guys).

I would think with Red being a Wings Alum that there would be a more natural relationship between the U of M and the DRW. I wonder if there’s more to this. I’m just saying…

Posted by SnLO from the sub great-white north on 12/09/10 at 04:18 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Yea SnLO, Wings could have signed Marty Turco!  cool grin

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 12/09/10 at 04:21 PM ET

SnLO's avatar

Wings could have signed Marty Turco!

LOL! Right!

Posted by SnLO from the sub great-white north on 12/09/10 at 04:26 PM ET

Yea SnLO, Wings could have signed Marty Turco!

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 12/09/10 at 01:21 PM ET

Or Manny Fernandez.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 12/09/10 at 05:08 PM ET

YzermanZetterberg's avatar

Other than Ward—who was constantly in Scotty Bowman’s dog house—I think a lot of it has to do with the right fit at the right time, availability and cost. For example, when Knuble was traded in 1998, he was still pretty young and green (remember, Scotty liked veterans, and the Wings have carried on that tradition). Knuble didn’t really break out as a scorer until he’d been in the league for 5 or 6 years. I talked to him at a U of M alumni game several years ago and congratulated him on his new (at the time) contract with the Flyers. I added that as a Michigan and Wings fan, I was hoping he’d sign with the Wings and he said he had talked to them, but they couldn’t get together on salary.

In other cases, the Wings’ focus on drafting and developing Europeans and their perennially low picks have worked against Michigan players wearing the Winged Wheel. For example, in 2001, Mike Cammalleri was picked 49th by LA. When the Wings had their first pick at #62, they took Igor Gregorenko. Who knows if they would have taken Cammalleri if he was still available, but he sure seems like the type of skilled player they like to target. Another example is Jack Johnson, who was long gone by the time the Wings picked Jacub Kindl at #19 in 2005.

As the rules regarding the developmental rights of European draft picks have changed, the Wings have shifted some of their focus to U.S. college players, ala Abdelkader. In Miller’s case, they were able to pick him up extremely cheap and its worked out great.

Finally, I’m not sure if he did it this year, but I know Uncle Mike has had Red Berenson participate in Wings training camp to pick his brain in recent years. So, I don’t think there’s any bad blood or “anti-Michigan” feelings with the Wings.

Posted by YzermanZetterberg on 12/09/10 at 05:29 PM ET

SnLO's avatar

when Knuble was traded in 1998

Yeah, I seem to remember roster space being an issue and management (I think Scotty at the time) having to choose between Homer and Knuble, we know how that turned out. I recall Scotty saying (paraphrasing) Knuble would be a good player, but there weren’t enough roster spots. I was living out of state, so my knowledge and memory of stuff from back then is kinda fuzzy.

The whole observation (Um v DRW) is quite a bit of a stretch anyway, that’s why I led with “Stupid observations and musings.” Especially, considering I had to reach back to Ward and Knuble for a contemporary comparison on which to try to base my argument. But there’s still enough for me to give pause and wonder when taking into consideration the Kings GM (Lombardi?) making derogatory comments of the UM program last year, combined with the lack if UM players / prospects /signings in the Wings system and the children of the Organization are all playing in Lansing, not Ann Arbor. It’s all just enough to make me go “Hmmm” but that’s about it.

So, I don’t think there’s any bad blood

Agreed