Wings In Need Of Offense, Call Up Nyquist

from Bill Roose of DetroitRedWings.com,

With Fabian Brunnstrom clearing waivers this afternoon, the Red Wings’ brass has decided to do something that they typically don’t do – call-up a first-year pro.

Rookie forward Gustav Nyquist has played in just 17 pro hockey games, but he’ll get his NHL indoctrination Tuesday night when the Wings host the Minnesota Wild at Joe Louis Arena.

The 22-year-old forward, who scored two goals in the Wings’ preseason finale, has nine points in nine AHL games this season for the Grand Rapids Griffins.

The Wings, who have scored 10 goals in the last five games, will be looking for scoring from their up-and-coming your star.

“We need to score some goals,” Wings general manager Ken Holland said.

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, Detroit Red Wings, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: gustav+nyquist

Comments

tell zetterberg to stop eating hamburgers

Posted by callmedrw on 10/31/11 at 05:40 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Great news.  And the Wings re-signed Kronwall for 7 years!

Posted by MsRedWinger from the State where Tigers roam in the Spring on 10/31/11 at 05:42 PM ET

Keyser S.'s avatar

Just got back from the game. Nyquist looked real good while scoring a hat trick. This kids a player. *Spoiler alert* The wings won 3-2.

Posted by Keyser S. on 10/31/11 at 06:11 PM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

The Wings, who have scored 10 goals in the last five games,

A somewhat deceiving statement.  Pure sugarcoating on the 4 goals in the last 4 games.

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 10/31/11 at 06:25 PM ET

Posted by godblender on 10/31/11 at 06:36 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

It’s exciting that they want to give the kid the nod now.

Posted by MoreShoot on 10/31/11 at 06:47 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Cant hurt. Now paging Henrik Zetterberg, Johan Franzen, and Happy Hudler.

So who sits? I’d send Bertuzzi to the press box.

And can anyone reference the rules here? He gets 9 games before sacrificing waiver exemption I think?  And how does that jive with his time in college hockey instead of juniors/minor leagues?

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 10/31/11 at 06:54 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Waiver rules are very complicated, but the basic rule here is that he gets 9 games before this counts as a year of NHL experience for getting him closer to UFA/Waiver-eligible status.

There is not a way to make Gustav Nyquist eligible for waivers by the end of this season, but it’ll cut a year off the time he has to wait before coming unrestricted.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 10/31/11 at 07:20 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Posted by J.J. from Kansas

Well I was half mixed up. Thanks for clearing that up.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 10/31/11 at 07:24 PM ET

Franzen should sit. Lazy as hell. Oh but wait…any year now he’ll be healthy, put forth some semblance of effort and score 40 goals!....right?

Posted by godblender on 10/31/11 at 10:54 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

It’s just nice to see Bill Roose credited for writing his own words.

wink

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 11/01/11 at 01:30 AM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Nyquist needs a shot, but not at Hudler’s expense.

Everyone knows I’m one of, if not THE biggest Hudler supporter here (or anywhere), but I can’t abide by one of the better players of the first few games getting shafted for no good reason, while Zetterberg, Cleary, “Lazy Ass” Franzen, and Todd “OMFGIHAVETOTAKEASTUPIDPENALTYRIGHTNOW” Bertuzzi get free passes from Babcock.  Sit one of them (probably not Zetterberg, so yeah) for Nyquist.

Will it happen?  Probably not.

Posted by RedMenace from The Lightly Soiled South on 11/01/11 at 01:45 AM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

I’m stoked to see Nyquist up.  From how he played in the preseason, he deserves a shot.  Let’s hope he gets his ice time.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 11/01/11 at 03:01 AM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

Sounds like the Wings have hit the panic button.
According to what they said when the season started,
Nyquist was not in their plans for the regular season.

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 11/01/11 at 04:07 AM ET

Nyquist needs a shot, but not at Hudler’s expense.

Why not?  Franzen has disappeared since the first five games, but so has Hudler.

I would say that playing like shit for the last five games is reason enough and doesn’t at all qualify as being shafted…

Posted by Garth on 11/01/11 at 11:17 AM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Posted by Garth on 11/01/11 at 09:17 AM ET

Dude, it’s a catch-22; he has a “slumpy” game and a half, and gets demoted, after which he has another “slumpy” game or so, then gets demoted again, where he continues to “slump.”

His “playing like shit” has been better than Franzen, Zetterberg, and Cleary, who are absolutely brutal right now, yet still get free passes from everyone.  Nice double-standard there.

You want to talk about who’s “slumping?”  How about the fact that even though he hasn’t scored in five games, he’s still tied for 4th among forwards in scoring?  Or that he’s got a better plus-minus than the “golden children” of Zetterberg, Datsyuk, and Cleary, and is tied with Franzen, Holmstrom, Emmerton, and Bertuzzi?  Or that he’s got more hits than Zetterberg and Franzen, and is only 1 behind Filppula and Helm?  Or that he’s got 2 giveaways, which is second only to Helm for players who’ve played all 9 games?

ALL of which he’s done while playing increasingly limited minutes (he’s 8th in time on ice per game and total time on ice).  You can toss your blind hatred around all you want to, but the facts remain.  You don’t like him because he’s not a big, bruising power forward, or that he went to the KHL for a year, or he’s got dark hair, or whatever other lame bullshit excuses you want to use.

Posted by RedMenace from The Lightly Soiled South on 11/01/11 at 01:31 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

News on twitter that Hudler is the scratch.

I disagree with Babcock’s decision here. I absolutely would have scratched Bertuzzi, despite that Bert can still bring a physical element that Hudler can’t.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 11/01/11 at 01:47 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

I say sit one of Z or Dats.  Babs needs to do something to wake this whole team the fuch up.  They haven’t been producing either.  By sitting one of them out for a game or two may open some eyes.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 11/01/11 at 01:52 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 11/01/11 at 11:47 AM ET

... and the lulz just keep on coming.

Detroit needs to just get rid of Hudler for the sake of his career.  Babcock obviously has it out for the guy, and it’s not doing him any good to be in the doghouse of an obstinate coach.

Posted by RedMenace from The Lightly Soiled South on 11/01/11 at 01:57 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Well personally, I don’t care about the good of Jiri Hudler’s career. I just think that Hudler has given better effort and focus than Bertuzzi and that it would actually send a better message to the club to scratch Bert.

If this ends up ruining Hudler as a hockey player, the extent to which I care is the extent to which is affects the Red Wings.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 11/01/11 at 02:05 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 11/01/11 at 12:05 PM ET

You don’t want to see players succeed?  Helping him is helping the team, and obviously getting rid of him would help the team as well.

Yeah, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, but come the *#$%@& on—the anti-Hudler bias around here is ridiculous.  The guy is a good player and is getting shafted.  He can help the team given the proper opportunity, and he’s just not getting it.

Posted by RedMenace from The Lightly Soiled South on 11/01/11 at 02:18 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Sorry, meant to say “.. and apparently getting rid of him would help the team as well.”

Posted by RedMenace from The Lightly Soiled South on 11/01/11 at 02:27 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I want to see Red Wings succeed.  Once they leave the Red Wings, I don’t care much about them. There are others that I flat out root against because of how they left the team (Leino).

Don’t misread me though.  When I brought up that he’s the scratch, I said I thought it was a mistake and that I would rather Bertuzzi be the one sitting.  I still think that.  Red Menace knows as well as anybody around here that I’m not one of the anti-Hudlerites. I think he can bring good to the team and I think he’s been showing very good effort. He needs to shoot more, but that’s a focus and confidence thing (where I think Bertuzzi actually has been skating lazy for the last two games and has taken frustration penalties).

It’s probably better to take up the fight against the anti-Hudler bias with somebody who doesn’t think Hudler should be playing tonight.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 11/01/11 at 02:34 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Sorry, I didn’t mean to direct that “anti-Hudler” rant at you; your post just happened to trigger it.  I know you’re a pretty fair (snicker) guy when it comes to actually judging players by their actual skills, and I did read the part where you thought it was a mistake.

Fair enough about the not caring after they leave… honestly, I haven’t gotten attached to a player like this in quite a while.  I think it might be because he’s very much an underdog around these (and other parts), and for whatever reason I just feel the need to stick up for that sort of person whether it helps them or not.

FYI—I am RedMenace… :-p The good of the team is the ultimate goal, hence my name change.  Do I want Hudler to succeed?  Absolutely.  At the expense of the team’s success?  Absolutely not.

Posted by RedMenace from The Lightly Soiled South on 11/01/11 at 02:42 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Understood.

We both agree that he can help the team and that we both think benching him instead of somebody else was a mistake.  I guess he’s just going to have to work that much harder than his teammates when it comes to staying in the lineup.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 11/01/11 at 02:50 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 11/01/11 at 12:50 PM ET

The major hurdle now appears to be actually getting the playing time…

Posted by RedMenace from The Lightly Soiled South on 11/01/11 at 02:54 PM ET