Wings’ Dmen Involved In The Offense

from Ansar Khan of Mlive,

Defensemen are jumping up into the play more than ever for the Detroit Red Wings, firing pucks and scoring goals at a higher rate than any team in the NHL.

Of Detroit’s 69 goals, 20 have come from the defense. That leads the league—four more than Vancouver’s blue line and more than twice as many as most other clubs.

Nicklas Lidstrom and Niklas Kronwall lead the way with six goals each, followed by Ian White (four), Brad Stuart (three) and Jonathan Ericsson, who scored his first goal of the season in Wednesday’s 4-2 victory against the Tampa Bay Lightning, Detroit’s season-high sixth in a row.

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, Detroit Red Wings, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Primis's avatar

Kronwall is really the one aberration I guess.  Stuart always quietly puts in a goal here or there, and White’s could effectively be said as replacing Rafalski’s.

Posted by Primis on 12/02/11 at 11:36 AM ET

shanetx's avatar

Stuart
08-09:  2
09-10:  4
10-11:  3
On pace this year for… 11.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 12/02/11 at 11:56 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

thank you shane, so I didn’t have to.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 12/02/11 at 12:25 PM ET

red_wings_49's avatar

I think I nearly shat myself when I saw Ericcson’s goal go in…

Did anyone else see him give the puck away on the very next play?

Posted by red_wings_49 from Mad Heights, MI on 12/02/11 at 12:48 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

lmao I thought for sure that 5 I saw was Kronners.. ‘bout shit myself too when I saw it was E

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 12/02/11 at 12:52 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Kronwall is really the one aberration I guess.

I’m not sure I’d call that an aberration as much as an emerging trend…I hope. He had 11 last year, and he’s finally coming into his own as a top-flight offensive defenseman. The trick with him is staying healthy, and that’s improved too (Maybe because he plays smarter now?).

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 12/02/11 at 01:35 PM ET

SK77's avatar

Stats aside, I’ve watched a lot of WIngs games on TV this year and seen a few in person ... and it’s pretty interesting how often you’ll see a defensemen actively participate in the offensive zone. Some opponents have seemed to struggle with all five skaters being this active and it’s offered up some good opportunities. It seems like a good strategic/coaching adjustment they’re working with this year.

Posted by SK77 on 12/02/11 at 02:14 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Did anyone else see him give the puck away on the very next play?

Posted by red_wings_49 from Mad Heights, MI on 12/02/11 at 10:48 AM ET

Yeah, it was Ericsson making up for doing something good.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 12/02/11 at 02:37 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Stuart
08-09:  2
09-10:  4
10-11:  3
On pace this year for… 11.

Posted by shanetx on 12/02/11 at 09:56 AM ET

This is a dumb point to argue on.  He won’t get 11.  He’ll probably get 6 or 7.  Having 3 already isn’t a sign of a real trend for him.  Having 3 already is not exactly eye-popping.  Ericsson’s 1 is more eye-popping than Stu’s 3.  The point was that Stuart’s 3 isn’t what’s driving the blueline scoring.

Kronwall on the other hand is “on pace” for what, 23 or 24 goals.  He had a career high of 11 Goals last year, and 6 or 7 the three years prior to that.  That’s a HUGE difference.

Kronwall’s production step-up is the key… not taking anything away from White, who has fit in nicely IMO but like I said he’s essentially filling Rafalski’s scoring (and done so quite well).  And Lidstrom is Lidstrom, so we expect things like his numbers.

Posted by Primis on 12/02/11 at 02:51 PM ET

SK77's avatar

Posted by Primis on 12/02/11 at 12:51 PM ET

Okay, so you say there’s no way Stuart will keep his “on pace” numbers but then you go on to talk about Kronwall’s production like he will keep “on pace”.

Just pick one approach and stick with it. Either Stuart is on pace to get 11 and Kronwall is on pace to get 23 goals—which would essentially be 3x Stuart’s career high, and 2x Kronwall’s career high ...

Or we use your “formula” on bagging Stuart’s “on pace” numbers and apply that to Kronwall as well, which means roughly 7 goals for Stuart and 15 goals for Kronwall. That has Stuart doubling his career high and Kronwall increasing his by 33%.

When you apply the same formula to both defensemen Stuart’s uptick actually looks a lot more impressive… but at the end of the day what’s really most important is the team as a whole is playing better defense AND the defense is chipping in more goals. Good stuff all around.

Posted by SK77 on 12/02/11 at 03:19 PM ET

Coach Mike Babcock said the harder the forwards play, the less they turn the puck over, the more active the defense will be.

“Obviously, it’s important,” Babcock said. “We think those guys got that skill set.”

Play smarter, too, gents.  Wings defensemen have between the ears as well.

Posted by SYF from the C7.R, flyin' low and feelin' mean on 12/02/11 at 03:46 PM ET

Posted by some kid on 12/02/11 at 01:19 PM ET

I agree with the point you’re making, but it should be pointed out that Stuart’s career high in goals is 12 (05-06) and he’s also scored 10 and 9 in previous years, so 11 wouldn’t be triple his career high.

But yes, the point of the article was that Detroit is getting a lot of scoring from the blue line and three of the top four are on pace to have career years and even though he’s not on pace for a career year, he IS on pace to more than double his previous best output as a Red Wing.

Posted by Garth on 12/02/11 at 03:47 PM ET

SK77's avatar

Posted by Garth on 12/02/11 at 01:47 PM ET

Well that was obviously a big oversight on my part not checking out all of Stuart’s season stats ... still, it’s good news that he could double his output as a Red Wing and match previous career totals.

And I’m not trying to take anything away from Kronwall either. If he can get 20+ goals that’s fabulous news. On top of that he really does look strong on both ends of the ice and has matured into a key figure on the Wings—both statistically and in a leadership role.

Posted by SK77 on 12/02/11 at 03:53 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by some kid on 12/02/11 at 01:19 PM ET

*sigh*

I love Staurt and think he’s the most-underrated d-man DET’s had for years, but I’m sorry, Kronwall’s uptick in production has been far more-valuable than Stuart’s.  And that’s the whole point here, is how it’s affected their blueline scoring.

Kronwall’s stepped up and is the big reason for DET"s increased d-man scoring.

Quite frankly I’d prefer if Kronwall DIDN’T get 20+ goals because then it’d mean some of the other bums like Z, Bertuzzi, Cleary, etc are actually scoring and not just converting oxygen into CO2 on the ice…

Posted by Primis on 12/02/11 at 05:06 PM ET

WTF?
Do you think the Wings are destined to score a particular number of goals, Primis?
I would love to see some of our D score 50 goals.

Posted by teldar on 12/02/11 at 10:03 PM ET