What’s New At The Joe Louis Arena?

Detroit, MI… The 2011-12 NHL campaign is right around the corner and Detroit Red Wings fans are about to be treated to a whole new game day experience at Joe Louis Arena. A new-and-improved customer service program, compelling in-game activities, exciting giveaway promotions and extensive renovations at the arena itself are but a few of the improvements citizens of Hockeytown can look forward to enjoying during the upcoming season.

“Whether it’s a complete renovation of a large area of our suite level or the first impression of how we greet our guests, our focus this year will be trying to control the little things - the attention to detail and all the moments where we interact with people,” says Olympia Entertainment President & CEO Tom Wilson.  “We very much want to cultivate a championship-caliber lineup off the ice and do everything possible to show our fans how much we appreciate their continued loyalty.”

Changes fans can look forward to this season include:

-      Implementation of ‘Guest Connect’, a new customer service program designed to optimize fan satisfaction
-      Arena doors opening 90 minutes prior to puck drop
-      Renovation of several concession stands throughout the arena
-      Nightly-branded promotions, including Military Mondays, Two-Fer Tuesdays, Bobblehead Thursdays, Fathead Fridays, Meijer Kids Nights and Social Saturdays
-      A new Bud Light club area on the suite level at JLA
-      An enhanced sound system with additional speakers which will provide better audio quality throughout the arena
-      Expanded menu in the Executive Suites which will include a build-your-own Tex-Mex option entitled ‘Fiesta in the D’ as well as gourmet-style dessert options such as Bananas Foster
-      Entertaining new intermission events, including remote control truck races and the ‘Motor City Music Minute’ along with the traditional and popular youth shootout and Score-O.
-      A new DAS (distributed antenna system) which will allow for better AT&T cell coverage throughout the building
-      The new Volunteer Energy Red Patrol - an energetic promo team designed to amp up the crowd and coordinate all in-arena activities
-      Refurbishment of select merchandise stands
-      The addition of a family restroom on the East end of the JLA concourse
-      The ability to provide instant fan feedback on the in-game experience, as Red Wings Executive Producer, Event Entertainment Ayron Sequeira will be accepting suggestions/comments via her Twitter feed at @AyronAtTheWings. The Joe’s longtime DJ T. Campbell will be also be taking in-game song requests via Twitter (@TheHockeyJockey)

Filed in: NHL Teams, Detroit Red Wings, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Red Winger's avatar

That’s great…but did you do anything to alleviate the fact we have to miss half a period of hockey just to take a piss?

Of course not.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie, MI on 10/05/11 at 11:49 AM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

It sounds like progress. Last year for fan appreciation night we got a ridiculous foam rubber puck…..

Posted by Rdwings28 on 10/05/11 at 12:04 PM ET

w2j2's avatar

My only criticism is the loud volume of the sound system.
Last year at H2H2, sitting in the top rows, the music (noise) from the speakers was painful.

Posted by w2j2 on 10/05/11 at 12:32 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

I hope this is not cheerleaders.

Posted by MoreShoot on 10/05/11 at 01:39 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

Ugh. Bad idea. My local AHL affiliate has this. Let the hockey be the center of attention!

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 10/05/11 at 02:15 PM ET

calquake's avatar

I agree with MoreShoot and redxblack…. if I wanted a circus I’d go see Ringling Brothers.

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake, workin' on my manifesto on 10/05/11 at 02:44 PM ET

UMFan's avatar

My goodness. So I guess the aim of this is to stop people from being able to hear themselves think. Maybe I am just getting old, but if I wanted my ears to ring from more blaring speakers I’d go to a concert. Just once, maybe even for a period, I’d like to experience a game with no music blaring out of the speakers so I can talk to the people I go with and enjoy the game.

Posted by UMFan from Denver, Colorado on 10/05/11 at 02:59 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

You are old, but you’re not wrong.  Unfortunately, this is just the trend in all sports: why have the crowd be self-directed when you can dictate every moment of the game.  They take it to ludicrous degree at the United Center where they pump electronic drums when a fight starts on the ice, presumably to amp up the fight moment.

Posted by MoreShoot on 10/05/11 at 03:02 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Here’s an idea:

How about eliminate all the unnecessary bullsh*t so I can maybe afford a ticket to a game?

Posted by Primis on 10/05/11 at 03:45 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

I wish the comments on this thread were from decision makers in the league. I’d much rather attend the games WE would put on than the clown shows the NHL is dumbing down for us.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 10/05/11 at 03:57 PM ET

Primis, I wish i could thumbs up your comment…will just have to settle for Agreed!

Posted by wingsluver4ever from TC on 10/05/11 at 04:51 PM ET

Baroque's avatar

I bet it IS cheerleaders. The same direction everyone else is going in.

Posted by Baroque from Michigan on 10/05/11 at 09:36 PM ET

[quoteAn enhanced sound system with additional speakers which will provide better audio quality throughout the arena]

At least it won’t sound like AM radio anymore, now if they play tunes that came out after Ronald Reagan was President it would help.

Posted by timbits on 10/05/11 at 10:06 PM ET

Aside from adding a new (family?) restroom (do you have to be a family to use it?), not a single one of these changes means a single thing to 98% of Wings fans.

Posted by DrewBehr from The Mitten on 10/06/11 at 05:06 AM ET