Video- Datsyuk With The Bullseye Backhand

I just returned from the JLA and it was a great game.  The crowd was into the action and Habs fans were sprinkled throughout the rink.

Some of the hockey people I talked to during the game stated Datsyuk made this goal look easy, but in full speed, they marveled at what they witnessed.

added 10:57pm, Same goal, but with Jim Hughson and Craig Simpson of HNIC can be watched below…

Filed in: NHL Teams, Detroit Red Wings, Montreal Canadiens, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: pavel+datsyuk

Comments

SK77's avatar

i was watching (i think) hockey night in canada and was really surprised that the commentators didn’t make a bigger deal over this goal.

a lot of guys in the league couldn’t consistently hit that corner with their forehand. pavel nails it on the backhand like it ain’t no thang against a pretty decent goalie that had the percentages covered.

Posted by SK77 on 12/11/10 at 12:58 AM ET

UMFan's avatar

The dying art of a backhanded shot. Not many players would have even chosen to go backhand in that situation, let alone be able to top shelf it.

Posted by UMFan from Denver, Colorado on 12/11/10 at 01:12 AM ET

Paul - agree this game was probably the best atmosphere at Joe Louis all year. If the Wings were in the East we might get this more often. Sorry but the Nashville/Columbus/Phoenix games just don’t do it.

Posted by mc keeper on 12/11/10 at 01:35 AM ET

Flashtastick56's avatar

That’s a Crosby-esque backhander right there.  Whew.  Pretty.

Posted by Flashtastick56 from Meriden, CT on 12/11/10 at 02:58 AM ET

Glad you were there, Paul.  Happy to hear you had a great time.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 12/11/10 at 03:19 AM ET

Mojo Tooth's avatar

Sublime goal

Posted by Mojo Tooth on 12/11/10 at 04:21 AM ET

That’s MF’n Datsyuk, not that digitally rendered Crosby garbage from NHL.com.

And, the CBC crew talked up both Datsyuk and Zetterberg all night. The best line line from the broadcast was something like this: “I was talking to one of the Wings teammates, and he said ‘Datsyuk and Zetterberg could easily be the top two scorers in the league, but they care more about the two points.’”

Kronwall had a beauty too

Posted by Jesters Dead on 12/11/10 at 04:37 AM ET

That’s MF’n Datsyuk, not that digitally rendered Crosby garbage from NHL.com.

Crosby’s scored this particular goal at least twice in actual games. I’ll link videos if I have to.

Posted by StevieSteve on 12/11/10 at 06:16 AM ET

SK77's avatar

okay, HNIC called that one better than I remembered (obviously).

Posted by SK77 on 12/11/10 at 07:18 AM ET

Chet's avatar

it’s real. this guy is quietly the best player in the league, bar none.

check out his two line cross ice pass right onto (i think) cleary’s (or fil’s) stick a few games back. maybe anaheim, or san jose. maybe franzen…

but: he lifts it two and a half feet off the ice, through four guys, right onto his teammate’s tape. i could do this maybe one time in 100 when i was 25, in shape, and played every day.

goals are goals, but that pass is the play of the year for me.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 12/11/10 at 09:05 AM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

Paul,  Glad you went I was in row four section 109, what a blast. Every year my forum buddies from the Detroit News Wings Talk Forum get together for a game. What a night to get together. The “Go Habs Go” chants must be what it’s like for Pheonix and C’bus fans when the Wings show up. Closest I have ever sat to the ice, what a treat ($120.00), and it’s a degree nicer than Griffin’s Glass. Got Home very late but am so glad I went. My Wife, her sister, my brother in law leave Grand Rapids at noon to watch the BiG Chill today in AnnArbor. Maybe I will go the Griffin’s Sunday for full saturation.

Posted by Rdwings28 on 12/11/10 at 11:09 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

Pavel should be called The Human Highlight Reel.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 12/11/10 at 01:20 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

My favorite post-game moment: Trevor Thompson interviewing Pav after the game; he asks him to watch his goal on monitor and ‘take us through tube play’. Datsyuk says : ‘I shoot’.

Posted by MoreShoot on 12/11/10 at 02:33 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Mick pointed out the other night that about twice a game Datsyuk makes a play along the boards where he’s surrounded by opponents, but brings it out anyways and gets away untouched.  Ajnd rarely does anyone comment on it.

He literally does it so often I think he’s a bit underappreciated, honestly.  He makes defenders look so silly, and he steals the puck from them so often… I think it maybe loses some of the “Wow” factor with people after time.  That shot… there are maybe 4 guys in the league that could make that, and I’m not sure if any of them could have at that speed.  There’s no defense against it, as a goalie.

He is simply the most-complete player in the game.  There’s not a single thing he can’t do, but there’s plenty he can do that nobody else in the league (or world) can.  Could you imagine him playing in the 1980’s?  Let’s just say Gretzky would have had serious competition with all his marks….

Posted by Primis on 12/11/10 at 03:00 PM ET

blammo's avatar

Pavel Datsyuk is not under-rated. He might be under-promoted. But every player in the league and every knowledgeable fan knows he is one of the best.

That is a beauty goal. I love how he keeps his stick flat on the ice the whole time as if he is going to pass, keeping his cards close to his chest, and at the last second curls the blade back to roof it. Ace in the hole.

Posted by blammo from Vancouver, BC on 12/11/10 at 04:05 PM ET