Video- Carcillo Hit On Gilbert

Daniel Carcillo received five for boarding and a game for this hit on Tom Gilbert tonight.

Carcillo’s suspension record via TSN,

2008/10/17 Suspended by the NHL for 2 games.
2009/12/06 Suspended by the NHL for 4 games.
2010/03/30 Suspended by the NHL for 2 games.
2011/05/17 Suspended by the NHL for 2 games.
2011/10/29 Suspended by the NHL for 2 games.

added 10:21pm, The Oilers tweeted Gilbert has a right knee injury and will not return.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Chicago Blackhawks, Edmonton Oilers, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Carcillo makes some of the most bone-headed plays..  I’m not even mad at him, it’s more like a Lenny from Of Mice and Men deal.. poor retard didn’t stop to think about what he was doing.  Hope he gets the book thrown at him, before he ends someone’s career or possibly his own.  How many times do you have to be suspended before the lightbulb clicks on?

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 01/03/12 at 01:22 AM ET

I don’t know that I would understand less than somewhere in the 12 game range for a suspension for this guy. He’s already been suspended twice this year for illegal hits. And 3 times in the previous 3 years? Consecutive suspensions should be escalating, not decreasing.

He has a history of being a danger to anyone on the ice and he shouldn’t be playing if this is the crap he does. I’m happy he injured himself on this one, it will give him less opportunity to end someone else’s career.

Posted by teldar on 01/03/12 at 01:25 AM ET

Carcillo just…doesn’t…get it.

Posted by SYF from Ball's Hill on 01/03/12 at 01:25 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

This one should definitely be the longest suspension of the season.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 01/03/12 at 01:27 AM ET

Oilers Rock's avatar

i think it was an intent to injure… his eyes were on gilbert the whole time… made no effort to go after the puck… i think its an easy one for shanahan here

Posted by Oilers Rock from Edmonton, Alberta on 01/03/12 at 01:27 AM ET

Carcillo had been so much better this year, but I can’t say this stupid play surprises me at all. Since he came back from his “upper body injury”(concussion) he has been playing stupid again. Not saying there is a connection, just saying that he seemed to be back to his old ways after sitting out for a while. This penalty probably costs the hawks the game as the Oilers scored twice on the powerplay. The longer the suspension the better, he needs a lot of time out, and from the looks of it he is hurt anyway.

What is the repeat offender statute of limitations? They wont take the 2009 stuff into consideration most likely, or even the 2010. And he has only been suspended once this year, the other 2011 suspension was in the playoffs.

Posted by pstumba on 01/03/12 at 01:38 AM ET

Dunno if there is a statute of limitations in Shanahan’s mind. He frequently mentions the previous year in handing out his suspensions.
I would be surprised if the previous year didn’t make a difference, but then, the suspensions have seemed to have been fairly random after preseason.

Posted by teldar on 01/03/12 at 01:50 AM ET

From the NHL CBA, Exhibit 8 section 5d)

[S]tatus as a “first” or “repeat” offender shall be re-determined every eighteen (18) months. For example, where a Player is suspended for the first time, he is a repeat offender if he is suspended again within eighteen (18) months of the first incident. If he is not suspended a second time within this eighteen (18) month period, he will no longer be treated as a repeat offender for disciplinary purposes

so not sure if they only take into consideration incidences within the 18 month period or since carcillo hasnt made it 18 months without being suspended in his career that they take it all into consideration or that they just take into consideration he is a repeat offender.

With the Torres suspension they just mention that he had been fined recently and didnt call him a repeat offender, so maybe none of it matters when it comes down to it. But i feel like the NHLPA would get mad if Shanny is overlooking the CBA.

Posted by pstumba on 01/03/12 at 02:06 AM ET

The way I would read that is that anything past 18 months is thrown out. I don’t believe, from the wording, that older infractions than 18 months are ago are considered. I believe they should be as they show a pattern of behavior.

Posted by teldar on 01/03/12 at 02:58 AM ET

bezukov's avatar

This is another who should be playing in the beer leagues.  Shanaban him into the stone age Brendan.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 01/03/12 at 03:07 AM ET

I was at this game tonight and after the hit I was hard to see what actually happened.  Thought it could have been a mere accident, but after watching it I believe Carcillo should be suspend for this one.  But seeing that his season is probably over for the year, He should be suspend until he his heatlhy and ready to come back, then hit him with a lengthy suspension.  That was just bush league!!!

Posted by joe from chicago on 01/03/12 at 04:13 AM ET

I usually don’t wish for career-ending injuries, but in Carcillo’s case I’ll make an exception. I hope his knee is beyond repair. This guy is a POS and doesn’t deserve another minute in this league. It’s only a matter of time before he ends a decent player’s career.

Posted by Seaner from San Jose on 01/03/12 at 04:50 AM ET

I smelt desperation when the Khawks picked up the TNT Kid.  The only problem with his knee injury is that he may not be around to take timely penalties in the playoffs.  Let’s hope he returns to hurt their cap space because after some deadline shopping this cocky little team is gonna be a bit scary.

Posted by Guerin'sBackcheck on 01/03/12 at 06:56 AM ET

Couldn’t happen to a nicer guy.

Give him 5 once he’s been re-activated.

Knowing Shanny, Carcillo will serve his 2 game suspension while he’s offline…

Posted by Marc10 on 01/03/12 at 11:40 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

I think the thing about his past suspensions that date past 18 months is, they would be ignored if he hadn’t had two suspensions in 2011. But since he does have 2 suspensions within the last year, he’s open to added scrutiny, and his record out past 18 months shows one of repeated carelessness.

I can’t watch the video right now, but just based on his record, I have to think the bidding starts at a minimum of 6 games.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 01/03/12 at 12:26 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

This is why team after team Gets rid of him starting with the Pens who drafted him.

He is a Brain Dead idiot

Posted by Evilpens on 01/03/12 at 12:49 PM ET

For fuch’s sake…that’s as reckless a hit as I’ve seen this season. If the league has any real intention of putting an end to this stupid sh*t now is a good time to really law down the law. If it were up to me I’d say 20 games given this twits history.

Posted by godblender on 01/03/12 at 05:07 PM ET

2 players going for the puck at top speed. Carcillo DID NOT hit Gilbert from BEHIND, but he will be judged from past bonehead plays. Both players shook up.The Ovechkin hit from BEHIND on Campbell was much worse, and dirtier. What did he get? A 2 game suspension? It’s a tough game. Should they just take hitting out completely? I don’t think so. Carcillo is one of the very few Hawks who plays with grit. He will be missed.

Posted by russ hook from Penticton on 01/03/12 at 06:43 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

2 players going for the puck at top speed.

Carcillo’s peripheral vision must be astronomical.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 01/03/12 at 06:48 PM ET