Video- Asham vs. Beagle

Jay Beagle started strong, but Arron Asham finished the job.

What do you think of Asham’s gestures after the fight?

Filed in: NHL Teams, Pittsburgh Penguins, Winnipeg Jets, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: arron+asham, jay+beagle

Comments

cs6687's avatar

Before people get their panties in a bunch, a quote from Asham…

“Wanted to get my bench going. Classless move on my part.”

Posted by cs6687 on 10/13/11 at 11:16 PM ET

Gutless.

Posted by Julie from Halifax, NS on 10/13/11 at 11:25 PM ET

cs6687's avatar

Asham also said “I didn’t mean to hurt the kid.”

He got caught up in the heat of the moment. He apologized. Nothing to see here.

Posted by cs6687 on 10/13/11 at 11:27 PM ET

cs6687's avatar

Also, if you’ve ever been in a fight, you know how emotions can get the best of you. In fact, that’s probably why you were fighting in the first place. Not saying it’s classy or justified. It isn’t. But it’s not uncommon for someone to get caught up in the moment at the end of a fight.

Posted by cs6687 on 10/13/11 at 11:35 PM ET

I was gonna say I hope Asham didn’t see Beagle laying there when he celebrated.  I think he just skated away immediately without noticing, but pumping your team up or not there’s really no place for celebrating while someone’s laying on the ice.

Either way good for him addressing it immediately.  If he considers himself classless and doesn’t make a similar mistake then there really isn’t any better recourse imo.

Posted by JBM on 10/14/11 at 12:16 AM ET

Anybody else feel like getting their hands up high on Letang or Malkin?

Posted by NathanBC on 10/14/11 at 12:26 AM ET

Lindas1st's avatar

Dude wanted to dance, so Asham obliged.

Posted by Lindas1st from New England on 10/14/11 at 12:32 AM ET

Crow's avatar

Glass jaw + Perfect hit= Knockout!  You don’t see a lot of that anymore.

On a side note, guy with the name Beagle shouldn’t starting fights.. wink

Posted by Crow on 10/14/11 at 02:10 AM ET

Nate A's avatar

I don’t find the gesture any big deal, but good on Asham for backing off after finding out what happened. Sucked for Beagle, but its a risk you take in a fight.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 10/14/11 at 02:26 AM ET

edillac's avatar

heat of the moment

Posted by edillac from isolation on 10/14/11 at 03:14 AM ET

edillac's avatar

what does Mario have to say?

Posted by edillac from isolation on 10/14/11 at 03:25 AM ET

This is the type of attitude that lights the fire for critics of fighting in the league.  Yes, Asham did what he needed to do (although Letang could have stoof up for himself too) but skate off the ice like a respectable human being not like an NFL player would.

Posted by gordie from not pittsburgh on 10/14/11 at 04:26 AM ET

Not crazy about the gestures but he did them about 2 seconds after the fight.  He was pumped up and he apologized afterwards.  I’d say that should take care of it.

Posted by tbassett on 10/14/11 at 08:13 AM ET

Evilpens's avatar

GOOD F’N LORD Pens Haters he said IT WAS CLASSLESS !! & was caught up in the heat of the moment sick

Posted by Evilpens on 10/14/11 at 09:15 AM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by cs6687 on 10/13/11 at 10:35 PM ET

I’ve been in a lot of fights (and not in the hockey sense either).  And I don’t ever recall ending one with taunting gestures, even after I broke someone’s nose, wrecked a football player’s knee (football coach was not happy), or tried to throw a guy out a window and had him halfway out (don’t ask).

If this honestly is just “part of fighting” then I’m sudenly finding myself in the camp that doesn’t want fighting I guess.

If I wanted to see nonsense like this I’d watch the NFL or NBA with their overspoiled children, thanks.

Posted by Primis on 10/14/11 at 09:57 AM ET

Posted by Primis on 10/14/11 at 08:57 AM ET

First of all, shit man, you’re one tough hombre. I’m glad that was Jay Beagle and not you, for Asham’s sake.

Second, this fight was in front of 18 000 fans cheering for him, with his team down by one in the third, against one of their rivals.

Posted by NathanBC on 10/14/11 at 12:07 PM ET

If Beagle wasn’t hurt and got back up right away it wouldnt have been an issue.

Posted by callmedrw from detroit on 10/14/11 at 12:11 PM ET

With things going they way they are, I can see a suspension for the gestures. If he left it at the first gesture, probably nothing, but the sleeping gesture after he obviously knocked the guy out is a bit much. You can’t say he didn’t know he knocked him out, cause he actually pulled a classy move and let up on the guy knowing he was in big trouble. He followed the classy move with the unclassy move, followed by two more classy moves. He tapped his stick on the glass as Beagle got up, showing support, and he manned up to his actions after.

The heat of the moment is no excuse. What if in the heat of the moment a caps player saw him do those actions and came over and jumped him? All is ok with that?

If you can get a suspension for miming a bj or gesturing a throat slash I see nothing different here. Probably just one game, and that’s all it needs.

The fight pumped up the team and crowd enough already, this isn’t a wrestling match or a football game(as mentioned above) where every little play is celebrated with a dance or an elaborate re-enactment of the battle of gettysburg or something. Just throw your arms up, tha’ts enough.

Posted by pstumba on 10/14/11 at 12:33 PM ET

Faux Rumors's avatar

1) Was Beagle wearing a face shield?  Regardless of the fight outcome players who wear a shieled(or even a helmet) should be required to remove them if they decide they want to fight.
2) As for the taunt, Big deal!  Its hockey folks, not The Bolshoi Ballet out there. Big boys playing a tough violent game. Sometimes those well compensated folks get injured inthe course of battle.

Posted by Faux Rumors from Globally- Here, there, Everywhere on 10/14/11 at 01:09 PM ET

I dont see anything wrong with Asham gesture…I bet alot of the haters out there are the same ones that scream in approval as their defensive lineman nails a quarterback and then does his funny dance as the qb is layin on the turf trying to remember what day it is

Posted by JR from Mich on 10/14/11 at 01:25 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

The gesture was classless. Asham knew it and reflected on it right away. I’d have loved to see a 2 min unsportsmanlike conduct. If Avery had done this, people’s heads would have explode.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 10/14/11 at 09:33 PM ET