Video- A Night At The Opera Broke Out At A Hockey Game

I was not going to post this but after reading how much this lady was raked over the coals, I had to come to her defense.

Saturday night, the Senators had soprano Measha Brueggergosman sing the Star Spangled Banner and O Canada.

Different? Sure, especially for a hockey game, but I found it a bit refreshing, you know, adding some dignity to our game.

Now I am sure many of you would have rather watched this “Night At The Opera”.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Ottawa Senators, Hockey Related Stories, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: measha+brueggergosman

Comments

Hockey Night in Australia's avatar

You cna see Crosby cracking up at the 17 second mark, twerp!

Posted by Hockey Night in Australia on 03/25/12 at 07:41 AM ET

Evilpens's avatar

I would have rather listened too Queen’s a night at the Opera. Gawd Awful anthem singer & Gawd Awful “performance’ by the Pens

Posted by Evilpens on 03/25/12 at 08:41 AM ET

Forlorn in VA's avatar

She has a nice voice, unfortunately, she tried to turn both anthems into arias, and neither is meant to be sung that way.

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 03/25/12 at 09:04 AM ET

It was horrible and it took forever.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 03/25/12 at 11:01 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

I’ve seen her before on Canadian TV, and I don’t know what that says about me, but I’ve seen her and seen her prior to the Olympics. She’s not exactly going to sweat the criticism given that she’s a brand name.

I’ve got to be consistent, though, in my criticism of anthem-singers, and regardless of whether it’s a sixteen-year-old trying to audition for American Idol or a mezzo soprano, the American national anthem’s meant to be belted out, and O Canada isn’t supposed to be dragged out like that.

Give me Slash jamming the anthem out on guitar (which he does very faithfully) instead.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 03/25/12 at 11:05 AM ET

Bleeding Gums Murphy taking twenty minutes to sing the national anthem immediately comes to mind. Oh and Frank Oz.

Posted by kk-downing on 03/25/12 at 11:07 AM ET

HockeyFanOhio's avatar

I was thinking about the Marx Brothers when I read the topic title.  Thanks for including that clip too!

Posted by HockeyFanOhio from Central Ohio on 03/25/12 at 11:09 AM ET

You would think someone with such credentials could pick a proper tempo.

Posted by sabresinger from New York on 03/25/12 at 11:36 AM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

You would think someone with such credentials could pick a proper tempo.

Chuck D could arrange that!

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/25/12 at 11:49 AM ET

I thought it was beautiful. Thanks for posting it, Paul.

Posted by manitobaredwingfan on 03/25/12 at 11:54 AM ET

JBytes's avatar

I guess there aren’t many classical music lovers amongst you hockey fans, eh?  Anyway, I say ditch all these pre-game anthems; they ought to be used during international matches only, not club play.  I’d much rather have the puck dropped on the hour or half past, rather than twenty minutes later.

Posted by JBytes on 03/25/12 at 12:39 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I love classical music when it’s written to be classical.

I’m as big a fan of turning an anthem into classical music as I am of turning a classical song into a dubstep remix.

Which is to say…. ehhhh, maybe sometimes.

This was crap.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 03/25/12 at 12:44 PM ET

Norskirama's avatar

1.  She got the words right—even the French ones!
2.  She asked everyone to join in.
3.  Bet the Sens get her back for future games against the Pens.
4.  A little slow, but hey, both anthems in about 3.5 minutes—none of that fancy frilly voice gyration garbage, and she stayed on key.  Better than most anthem singers.

Posted by Norskirama from Lincoln, Nebraska on 03/25/12 at 01:35 PM ET

Anyway, I say ditch all these pre-game anthems;

No,no, no.  Your inability to wait a few minutes to honor our nations would cheat home fans out of these moments.

http://youtu.be/7TxpxFqAV4I  had to work a little grapes in

http://youtu.be/POHIqWyik50  The league’s best anthemist, a great lady and cancer survivor.

and of course http://youtu.be/sRMtXUgVp0c

Posted by Cubanpuckstopper on 03/25/12 at 01:55 PM ET

pensfan29's avatar

My dog just ran out of the room crying. She messed up words to the SSB. Awful anthems. I think the canadian flag made 2 laps around the arena. 4 minutes is too long for the anthems.

Credit to Beyonce though. Had no idea she knew french.

Posted by pensfan29 on 03/25/12 at 02:45 PM ET

The Hurricane's avatar

Far be it for Cindy Rosby to recognize true talent and skill.
I think the fans were confused too….heck who can blame em, they’re used to Bieber and Celine.

Posted by The Hurricane on 03/25/12 at 03:38 PM ET

I liked it, Oh Canada doesn’t work as well in this form, too slow. The American anthem worked well. If you are going to do anthem’s, over the top is the best. Chicago, Boston, Vancouver and Philadelphia (Kate Smith combo) come to mind. Most of the others are sleep inducing or terrible.

Posted by timbits on 03/25/12 at 03:38 PM ET

Her performance was thrilling, actually.

Posted by Tiger Al on 03/25/12 at 03:54 PM ET

I’d much rather listen to this than some American wanker doing their best (worst?) impression of someone like Christina Aguilera and trying to hit notes that aren’t even remotely in their range.

Posted by godblender on 03/25/12 at 04:07 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

I still don’t see the need for these songs before games outside of IIHF and other international leagues.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 03/25/12 at 04:32 PM ET

Primis's avatar

That was awful.

Posted by Primis on 03/25/12 at 05:32 PM ET

Buck's avatar

Better than Roseanne Barr.  I know that ain’t sayin’ a whole helluva lot, but perspective, people.  Perspective.

Posted by Buck from The High Plains of New Mexico on 03/25/12 at 05:32 PM ET

Terrible. Players on both benches and half the crowd trying to contain their laughter. Dupuis almost bites his neckchain in half and Karlsson’s laughing so hard he’s shaking. I wonder how many people flipped over to the Montreal game until this was over (I did).

What’s most-bizarre about this is that Borgiogorso or whatever is so confident and oblivious to how badly she is butchering these.

You need to do 4 things to make an anthem in a sporting event work
1) get the words right
2) get the notes right
3) finish it relatively quickly
4) don’t make the anthem about yourself

She flunked all 4 (she was slightly sharp).

Posted by larry from pitt on 03/25/12 at 07:58 PM ET