Tuesday Thoughts On Thursday

from Elliotte Friedman of CBC,

• Here’s the deal with Oren Koules: Koules was involved in Matt Hulsizer’s attempt to buy the Phoenix Coyotes before that deal fell apart. There are some serious questions as to whether or not the St. Louis deal will happen. “No guarantee,” two different sources said. But, if it does, Koules will be a partner.

• A member of the Avalanche organization sat down with Paul Stastny after last season and advised him to improve his foot speed. “He told me I’d be a more dangerous player,” Stastny said, being better prepared to do things like charge in behind the play to create scoring chances. Stastny listened, spending the summer doing plyometrics.

Who was this advisor? He smiled and wouldn’t say. But I’d bet his name rhymes with Moe Trakic.

• The Red Wings showed a really interesting five-on-three power-play look last Friday against Columbus. As Niklas Kronwall held the puck at the left point, both Henrik Zetterberg and Nicklas Lidstrom lined up to his right along the blueline. Kronwall passed once and Zetterberg shot it. They tried it again, and Zetterberg let it go to Lidstrom, who shot it. Didn’t score there, but it’s creative and going to cause a lot of problems. Jeff Blashill, one of the new assistants, used that setup at Western Michigan.

more plus should goalie masks be changed….

Filed in: NHL Teams, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Is this guy’s involvement in hockey going to have more sequels than the “Saw” franchise?

Posted by Lloyd Davis on 10/27/11 at 04:24 PM ET

By “this guy,” I meant Oren Koules.

Posted by Lloyd Davis on 10/27/11 at 04:25 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

I wasn’t able to watch the game, but watched the condensed version yesterday on Game Center. Sure enough, when I saw that PP rotation I thought that has Jeff Blashill written all over it. That PP setup gave CCHA teams fits last year.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie, MI on 10/27/11 at 05:32 PM ET

Been there, done that.

“The Red Wings showed a really interesting five-on-three power-play look last Friday against Columbus. As Niklas Kronwall held the puck at the left point, both Henrik Zetterberg and Nicklas Lidstrom lined up to his right along the blueline. Kronwall passed once and Zetterberg shot it. They tried it again, and Zetterberg let it go to Lidstrom, who shot it. Didn’t score there, but it’s creative and going to cause a lot of problems. Jeff Blashill, one of the new assistants, used that setup at Western Michigan.”

Correct me if I’m wrong.  Think I’ve seen the Wings use this the last couple of years on the PP.  Usually it’s a pass from the winger on the 1/2 boards through the high slot where Zetterberg winds up,fakes shot, and lets it slides through to the far D man who one times it.  I’m sure the Broncos used a version of it, but I know I’ve seen Detroit use it, mostly 5 on 4 powerplays.

Posted by wolverine from hockeyheaven on 10/27/11 at 05:56 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie, MI on 10/27/11 at 06:27 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Wolverine, you’re right about the Wings using a somewhat similar play on a 5-4 PP. On that one, they go into umbrella formation, with the high-guy (usually Lidstrom) controlling the fluidity and flow of the other secondary-high guys, depending on his movement.

I don’t remember seeing that one utilized much by the Wings last year.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie, MI on 10/27/11 at 06:36 PM ET

‘If it’s a 5-on-4 PP then it probably isn’t the same. By the nature of the number of men on the ice the execution will be different.’

I’m going by the nature of the powerplay.  When you run a play where a pass is made to a player who looks like he’s going to shoot it, and he lets it slide through to someone else, then it’s the same idea.  It worked 5 on 4 so they’re using it 5 on 3.  It pulls 2 defenders out of position.  Zetterberg draws the attention of the collapsed winger AND the goalie.  Far side D, if the pass slides through, should get a good shot.
Hockey version of the Statue of Liberty play.

Posted by wolverine from hockeyheaven on 10/27/11 at 06:39 PM ET

“On the 5-3 PP, however, it works almost as an inverted umbrella, where there is no real QB to control the puck, but any of the three high guys will shoot, and are constantly in motion.”
Redwinger, you are probably right, I didn’t get to see the game so don’t know the set up you just referenced.

Posted by wolverine from hockeyheaven on 10/27/11 at 06:45 PM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

Don’t know why, but I was just checking Washington’s schedule.
They do not have any B2B games until mid-January.  Then it is 3 B2B in a row, 6 games in 8 days.
Now I remember,
I was checking their upcoming schedule because last year when the Wings were blown-away by a hot team, that hot team went on a 5 game losing streak starting with their next game.    Caps play Edmonton tonight.  The Oils are not the usual pushover they have been for the last few years.

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 10/27/11 at 09:10 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Washington won the game, no doubt about it… if the Caps and/or their fans are feeling on edge about the Wings on the back end of a B2B, then that is their own inferiority complex.

My advice for both Caps fans and Wings fans, since both are overreacting dramatically to this game in opposite directions, is to remember it is October. Detroit played two bad games, and is still at 5-2. The Caps look great but have 70+ games ahead of them—they will look bad on a few nights as well. The NHL schedule is too long and parity too high for it not to happen.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 10/28/11 at 11:03 AM ET