This Topic Will Only Get Hotter

from Anthony J. SanFilippo at the Times Herald,

The Flyers and bitter rival Pittsburgh Penguins are on the same team for once — and this isn’t a late Halloween hoax.

The two teams are joining forces to challenge a proposal supported by NHL commissioner Gary Bettman that would realign the divisions in the league beginning next season and as a result have the two team split up in different divisions.

Bettman’s plan, which would have to be supported by 20 of the 30 members of the league’s Board of Governors, would reduce the number of divisions in the league from six to four — creating an eight-team and seven-team division in each conference.

In the East, the Flyers would remain with the New York Rangers and New York Islanders as well as the New Jersey Devils, but would also add the Washington Capitals, Carolina Hurricanes, Tampa Bay Lightning and Florida Panthers to their division.

The Penguins would be shifted into a division consisting of the Columbus Blue Jackets, Toronto Maple Leafs, Montreal Canadiens, Boston Bruins, Buffalo Sabres and Ottawa Senators.

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, NHL Talk, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Evilpens's avatar

Dogs & Cats Living together, Mass Hysteria ! LOL

Posted by Evilpens on 10/31/11 at 09:19 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

...The two teams are joining forces to challenge a proposal supported by NHL commissioner Gary Bettman that would realign the divisions in the league beginning next season and as a result have the two team split up in different divisions…..

I’ll see your pens /flyers complaint about playing less games against each other ...and raise

you the Wings/Leafs, Wings/Habs, & Wings/ Bruins playing once every three seasons!!!

In my book 4 original six teams not playing each other regularly trumps any complaints that

pitt,philly,columbus,or nashville have about whatever division they ultimately end up in.

Hey nashville/columbus, if your teams still exist 5 years from now, then maybe you can lobby

the league for a move to the east.

Posted by Down River Dan on 10/31/11 at 09:20 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Oh yeah add ...add Wings/Rangers to the once every three season schedule. Sorry blueshirt fans.

Posted by Down River Dan on 10/31/11 at 09:22 PM ET

phillyd's avatar

It’s really not that hard, Nashville to the Southeast, Minnesota to the Central, Winnipeg to the Northwest. I don’t understand all the hawing and hemming on this. Tennessee gets with more natural geographic rivals in the Southeastern part of the US. Minnesota joins the Norris II, Winnipeg the Smythe II. I do understand no longer having Detroit/Toronto, but the other “original 6” regular matchups died about 30 years ago.

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 10/31/11 at 09:36 PM ET

Holy sh*t.

Posted by godblender on 10/31/11 at 09:40 PM ET

but the other “original 6” regular matchups died about 30 years ago.

Posted by godblender on 10/31/11 at 09:49 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I wouldn’t expect any playoff contenders in the east to want Detroit to come over and take a spot.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 10/31/11 at 10:04 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

I don’t care how much of a whiny fan boy I am for saying this… I’m sure I’ll survive the withering criticism.  And so…

The Pens have been getting nothing but gravy from the NHL brass for five or six years.  Now its their turn to shoulder some of the load and take one for the team this time.  They wouldn’t the first team to be severed from a traditional rival.  I’m sure the schedule could be worked out to make sure they see Philly often enough.  After all, the NHL is sure to bring Pittsburgh to Columbus and Detroit every year.  I dunno, maybe this b***h fit will get the other owners to go along with the plan out of spite.  A boy can dream, can’t he?

And before I hammered for wearing a foil hat, no I don’t think the Pens are getting breaks from the refs nor do I believe in a pro Pens conspiracy by the commissioner.  Just talking about all the fringe benefits the Pens have been enjoying since the Crosby era began.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 10/31/11 at 11:07 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Just had a great idea!  How about moving Pitt and Philly to the central (or whatever it will be called) and moving Detroit and Chicago to the northeast?  Sounds like a winner.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 10/31/11 at 11:12 PM ET

Awesome reporting.  Do the Philly writers know there is a Western Conference?

Posted by Jerry on 11/01/11 at 01:27 AM ET

Russian Rocket's avatar

Posted by bezukov from Wings Fan in exile: Columbus, OH on 10/31/11 at 10:07 PM ET

Just so you’re aware the Penguins have had to limit this rivalry in times past by leaving the Flyer’s division. It’s happened twice before actually, asking them to do it a third time seems a bit much.  It’s not just the Penguins opposing this, the Flyers are against it as well.

That being said as a fan I have 0 problems getting away from the Flyers and their shenanigans.

Posted by Russian Rocket on 11/01/11 at 09:46 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

This is a horrible idea. And no, not because it leaves Detroit in the West (as truly realistic, feasible proposals go, phillyd’s makes sense and is okay with me, even though it leaves the Wings in the West).

The reason this plan sucks is because the divisions are uneven. Ask the NL Central how that feels.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 11/01/11 at 10:19 AM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by Russian Rocket on 11/01/11 at 08:46 AM ET

Can’t say I blame you on that count sir.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 11/01/11 at 11:46 AM ET

Evilpens's avatar

@ Russian Rocket   NO bezukov think the Pens are Gary’s Favorite team since Sid was GIVEN to the Pens by Gary sick

Posted by Evilpens on 11/01/11 at 11:58 AM ET

awould's avatar

The structure that this article is about could be solved very easily by sticking Philly in the same ‘conference’ as Pittsburgh, Columbus, Montreal, Buffalo, Boston, Ottawa and Toronto. No matter what though, if a huge restructuring of the entire league happens, not every team will get what they want. I like the basic idea of this plan, though.

As far as the east/west conferences and travel, without a doubt it affects teams like Detroit and Columbus who have to travel so much all season and even more in the playoffs, while some teams in the northeast can drive to like 20% of their away games.

Posted by awould on 11/01/11 at 12:55 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by Evilpens on 11/01/11 at 10:58 AM ET

I think if you go back to our previous conversation Evilpens, you’ll find that I never said that.  In fact, I think a fair minded person would say that I was rather complementary of the Penguins’ accomplishments considering that I despise them.  Its the constant promotion of the Penguins by the NHL that I have a problem with, and I stated that as monosyllabically as possible.  That has nothing to do with what the Penguins have accomplished as an organization.  As I’ve said before, they have earned their success. So allow me to recommend that you get an appointment at your local optometrist, your myopia is getting worse.

I may be a shameless homer, but I do try to be straightforward about that.  I made that disclaimer in my first post on this thread so people can take my words at face value.  So I think its a little rude to reduce my comment down to the lowest common denominator when I’ve already been respectful enough to tell you what my opinion is worth.  I’m courteous enough not to misrepresent your opinions or put words in your mouth.  So before you pull out the standard line about my being a whiner, I’d just say I would appreciate the same deference I show you.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 11/01/11 at 01:36 PM ET

awould's avatar

Posted by bezukov from Wings Fan in exile: Columbus, OH on 11/01/11 at 12:36 PM ET

The Typical Lines

Old Red Wings Line: Yankees on Ice! They buy their Cups!
New Red Wings Line: They’re old! Man, they are old!
Next Red Wings Line, after KH spends his money: Yankees on Ice! They buy their Cups!

Old Penguins Line: Please somebody save our team, please!
New Penguins Line: Our team’s the greatest ever, always! Haters are just jealous! We’ve earned it ALL and it had nothing to do with stacked draft years!
Next Penguins Line: Realignment screwed us! Why does everything bad happen to us!?

Posted by awould on 11/01/11 at 01:47 PM ET

Primis's avatar

I’m all for any plan the Pittsburgh Penguins are against.  They get enough of their way with the league as it is… and adding Philly in to it as well only reinforces to me what a good plan it must be then because as we’ve all seen for decades now Philly can’t make good hockey decisions.

Posted by Primis on 11/01/11 at 03:44 PM ET

A couple of expansion teams whining, big deal. Toronto and Detroit were bitter rivals before they were broken up.

Posted by Davisrc19 on 11/01/11 at 04:22 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

@bezukov

Is that not part of your post from above ?

Posted by Evilpens on 11/01/11 at 04:27 PM ET

SnLO's avatar

This really makes good sense because Pittsburgh is in the West and Philly is in the East. Quite the pragmatic solution.

Posted by SnLO from beyond the M-1 on 11/01/11 at 04:59 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by Evilpens on 11/01/11 at 03:27 PM ET

My words are here for all to see, sir.  If you want to be a jerk and make yourself look ridiculous, thats your prerogative.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 11/01/11 at 05:16 PM ET