The Other Side Of Twitter

I’ve been quoted numerous times that I would not be on Twitter unless I had to, and yes I need to be on it in order to follow the latest hockey news.  Otherwise, I would have no use for a 140 characters.

Last night, probably a few seconds after Joel Ward scored the racist and vulgar tweets started (the N word is prevalent).

I checked everyone of those Twitter accounts this morning, making sure the person who tweeted was not following me, if they had been, they would have been blocked.  Luckily, none of them were.

Some of the accounts have been deleted but the majority are still up and running.  I would hope a fellow co-worker or student would take note of what was said by somebody they know, but then again, most of them probably don’t work or go to school.  They just exist, a dot on the face of the earth, just taking up space.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Washington Capitals, Hockey Related Stories, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: joel+ward

Comments

I’m a bruins fan and this is just sad.  I was more pissed that Dale Hunter’s team beat us, it had nothing to do with race.  Twitter is just a way for people to troll in 140 characters.  These idiots do exist but twitter gives them a voice.  It’s all about “oh look at how many people are following me!”  Controversy sells and the media propagates it.

So please don’t think that all bruins fans are racist assholes.  We’re just assholes.

Posted by Jeric on 04/26/12 at 09:58 AM ET

glad you brought this to our attention—once again—sports is a great thing, lots of fun, but some people take it a little too seriously—these people are dopes, just like the jackasses in SL who made fun of Gordie & Vlady & their disabilities - you can carry all this stuff too far—
enjoy the game, root for your team, have fun—but there is no place for this kind of crap- I hope that one day they might realize how the only thing this shows - is that they might qualify to be the King of all the Morons

Posted by howie young from up north on 04/26/12 at 11:18 AM ET

I’m sure every single one of those so-called Bruins fans couldn’t tell you who Willie O’Ree is. Great to see the progress that’s been made in the last 40-50 years.

Posted by JBM on 04/26/12 at 11:55 AM ET

calquake's avatar

Posted by JBM on 04/26/12 at 09:55 AM ET

And that my friends is what you call irony.

Posted by calquake on 04/26/12 at 12:07 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

One of the great shames of life is that it only takes one moron to sour the milk, and we had several in on the act last night.  I’m tired of seeing something racist come out of the hockey world every goddam year.  These people need to stop peeing in the human gene pool.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 04/26/12 at 12:16 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Stay classy Bruins fans. There is a reason they are called Massholes. Disgusting.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/26/12 at 12:22 PM ET

Thank you for calling them out. Time to spread the word and get them booted as well as get people to grow up already. Bunch of idiots they are.

Posted by CV on 04/26/12 at 12:24 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Sad. Just sad.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 04/26/12 at 12:31 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

Reading the comments on the link to the hate was awesome. A couple of those racist idiots are high school hockey players. These tweets likely violate their code of conduct pledges that most high school athletes have to sign.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 04/26/12 at 01:16 PM ET

hockeychic's avatar

I actually got off Twitter last night nad thought about deleting my account (as I’m usually only on during hockey games anyway).  I saw the hatred directed at Anson Carter and then some of the other crap and was just disgusted.  Really people, it is just a game.

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 04/26/12 at 01:32 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

In the same vein, I would hope the exact same level of shame and disappointment is being applied to those who have responded to these few spiteful idiots with claims like “Boston fans are racists”, as that falls into the exact same category of stupidity.

I’d actually prefer to have not been made aware of this (and this isn’t a dig at Paul, I knew about this 20 minutes after the game ended last night thanks to being on Twitter).  I specifically don’t follow racists.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/26/12 at 01:32 PM ET

Paul's avatar

J.J,, I waited to see where this went before posting it, could have made readers aware of it last night but hoped maybe it would die down.

It didn’t, so therefore because it became a “news” story, readers needed to know about it.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/26/12 at 01:37 PM ET

Paul's avatar

via Mirtle at the Globe and Mail,

Ward’s agent Peter Cooney called the situation “beyond unfortunate” on Thursday, saying he couldn’t believe this was an issue.

“It’s appalling,” he said. “Where we are in North America now, it’s hard to believe we still have that prejudice. It’s disturbing. It’s really disgraceful.”

Cooney added that Ward is doing his best to ignore the comments.

“He’s put it in his back pocket so to speak,” Cooney said. “He knows he’s going to have interviews and people talking about it. He’s heard about it, but he said ‘Peter, don’t worry - that stuff never bothered me.’ ”

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/26/12 at 02:36 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Oh absolutely.  It’s definitely gotten big enough to be news, especially when you have the owner of the Caps taking to his blog to discuss the issue.  I just wish it didn’t have to be.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/26/12 at 04:07 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Bruins statement,

“The Bruins are very disappointed by the racist comments that were made following the game last night. These classless, ignorant views are in no way a reflection of anyone associated with the Bruins organization.”

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/26/12 at 04:59 PM ET