The Bryzgalov Contract

via Bob McKenzie tweet,

Bryzgalov contract with PHI is done. 9 years, $51 million.

Update 5:40pm ET: TSN

The Philadelphia Flyers are banking on Ilya Bryzgalov being the elite goaltender that they’ve sought for so long.

The 31-year-old, whose rights were acquired from the Phoenix Coyotes earlier this month, avoided free agency by signing a nine-year, $51 million deal with Philadelphia.

He posted a 36-20-10 record with the Coyotes last season, but was swept in the first round of the playoffs by the Red Wings. Bryzgalov had a career year in 2009-10, when he racked up a career high 42 wins.

This will be his sixth season in the NHL. He broke into the league with the Anaheim Ducks, but was picked up on waivers by Phoenix midway through his second season.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Philadelphia Flyers, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: ilya+bryzgalov

Comments

Luongo-is-my-hero's avatar

way too much for bryzgalov, the term is too long as well

Posted by Luongo-is-my-hero on 06/23/11 at 05:52 PM ET

way too much for bryzgalov

I don’t know about that, $5.6M isn’t an outrageous cap hit…

Posted by Garth on 06/23/11 at 05:53 PM ET

Wings_in_NYC's avatar

They got their goalie. Too bad they just traded their two best players. Wtf?

Posted by Wings_in_NYC on 06/23/11 at 05:58 PM ET

They got their goalie. Too bad they just traded their two best players. Wtf?

Classic case of we had to bomb the village to save it.

Bobo has to wonder what he will do for 9 years as well.  To acquire a mentor for a few years was the original plan.

Posted by Cubanpuckstopper on 06/23/11 at 06:03 PM ET

This contract could be much worse than Luongo’s, although it will be interesting to see how it is structured. Based on Luongo’s structure (it’s *pretty* clear that he will walk away from the last 2 to 4 years of it), it would not be terrible for the Flyers though.

And I also think that most (level-headed) people would say Luongo’s the better goalie, so the cap hit of 5.67 (more than Luongo’s 5.33) should be tough to swallow for Flyers fans…

Posted by Mike from Toronto on 06/23/11 at 06:04 PM ET

I’m not going to say I think Bryzgalov is better, but they have almost identical GAAs and Save % in both regular season and the playoffs, so I don’t think either one is far above the other.

And, well, I guess since I consider Luongo’s contract to be pretty awful for Vancouver, I have to say the same about Breezy’s…

Posted by Garth on 06/23/11 at 06:18 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Yep 31 year old is signed until he is 40! Sure that isn’t cap circumvention

Posted by Evilpens on 06/23/11 at 06:19 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

The real cap circumvention is knowing that Bryzgalov isn’t likely to play more than five of those seasons before running back home to mother Russia.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 06/23/11 at 06:25 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

These goaltender contracts are getting really crazy.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 06/23/11 at 06:34 PM ET

Luongo-is-my-hero's avatar

i have no problem with his contract if it wasn’t for 9 fricken years.  I always had a issue with luongo’s contract being what it is.  I don’t think bryzgalov is as good as luongo, and his cap hit is still a tad higher with a shorter contract, but 9 years is nothing to scoff at.

Posted by Luongo-is-my-hero on 06/23/11 at 06:44 PM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

his stupid nickname will still be “BREEZY”

Posted by Rdwings28 on 06/23/11 at 06:45 PM ET

Ha. Ridiculous.

Posted by godblender on 06/23/11 at 06:57 PM ET

Bosephus's avatar

I predict regret in Holmgren’s future.

Posted by Bosephus from Behind enemy lines, Denver, CO on 06/23/11 at 07:23 PM ET

I predict regret in Holmgren’s future.

Posted by Bosephus from Behind enemy lines, Denver, CO on 06/23/11 at 06:23 PM ET

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 06/23/11 at 07:45 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Seriously, when Bryzgalov bolts back to Russia, I hope the Flyers get punished for this contract.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 06/23/11 at 07:53 PM ET

Chris in A^2's avatar

Star goalies are nice, but you know what is even nicer?  Having two star centers on your team.  Pheonix tried this route already.  Good luck with that.

Posted by Chris in A^2 from Nyquist Puck Control on 06/23/11 at 10:06 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

At least this salary won’t be subsidized by the “competing” teams.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 06/24/11 at 01:18 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

How are the Flyers any better now than they were a month ago?

I say they are significantly worse. Has nobody watched Bryzgalov play in the playoffs? He is not a goalie worth this contract (arguably, no goalie is).

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 06/24/11 at 12:38 PM ET