Take This In Consideration Before Complaining About ASG Players

via Brendan Shanahan tweet,

Without mentioning teams/players, the answer is yes. NHL was approached by certain players thru their GM. Battling injuries & need to heal.

What I would have liked is a player like Pavel Datsyuk, selected to the team then replaced due to injury.

Datsyuk is scheduled to return right around the time of the All-Star Game and probably would have opted-out even if he happens to play a game or two before the break.

Filed in: NHL Teams, NHL Talk, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

I don’t get why it’s ok for a GM to ask for a certain player *cough*Zetterberg*cough* to be left off the list, but it wasn’t OK for players who were nursing injuries to skip the game and rest up a bit.

Posted by Garth on 01/11/11 at 05:06 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by Garth on 01/11/11 at 02:06 PM ET

I don’t get why Crosby got special consideration while hurt for the ASG and not playing, and special warning and urging from the league, while they just simply suspended Lidstrom and Datsyuk without any warning even though they were actually injured.

Posted by Primis on 01/11/11 at 05:28 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

There was warning, Ken Holland just chose not to pass that warning on to the players.

Of course, perhaps things would have been different if Lidstrom and Datsyuk had gotten personal calls from Bettman instead of having a “league rep” call the GM like what they did do.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 01/11/11 at 05:37 PM ET

Lindas1st's avatar

Hmm, was that a little passive aggression JJ? If so I like it.

Posted by Lindas1st from New England on 01/11/11 at 05:43 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Perhaps just a little.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 01/11/11 at 06:41 PM ET

Mandingo's avatar

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 01/11/11 at 02:37 PM ET

The real question is: Why is this OK this year, but wasn’t in 2009? I.e., why were GMs “warned” in 2009, but are fine to hold out players this year?

I mean…not that I’m complaining, but what is the difference now?

I refuse to accept the idea that the NHL realized it made a mistake and corrected that mistake. It goes against everything they stand for. smile

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 01/11/11 at 06:44 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Well the important part is they didn’t actually admit to making a mistake. Nothing to see here. Move along.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 01/11/11 at 07:55 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

I mean…not that I’m complaining, but what is the difference now?

Holland called their bluff last year.  Despite consequences, he held his guys out.

There’s really no more obvious declaration of the All Star Game’s uselessness than that.

This year, it’s allowed, because if not allowed it would happen anyway.  And the NHL really can’t lose face any more at this event; it is important to them from a sponsor and marketing standpoint even if it’s the biggest farce in the game.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 01/11/11 at 10:37 PM ET

Primis's avatar

The REAL question is:  WTF does the NHL insist on having this useless, embarrassing debacle of an event still, one that will draw poor ratings and mocking from the rest of the media, and one everyone will have forgotten about in 2 days?

Posted by Primis on 01/11/11 at 10:45 PM ET

Forlorn in VA's avatar

The only complaint I have is that Lids was selected.  I would have been happy if no Detroit players participated.

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 01/12/11 at 12:12 AM ET

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 01/11/11 at 09:12 PM ET

What started out as a small but vocal MINORITY has become a very large and very aggressive MAJORITY to keep Wings players out of this farce.

I like it.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 01/12/11 at 05:05 AM ET