Report- Draft Headed To Pittsburgh

via Pierre LeBrun of ESPN,

The NHL will announce later this week that the June 2012 NHL draft will be held in Pittsburgh, two sources confirmed to ESPN.com Tuesday.

It has been rumored for months that the annual draft would be held at the new CONSOL Energy Center, but now the league will finally make it official.

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported as much in Sunday’s edition, while the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review also reported it Tuesday morning.

This past year’s draft was held in Minnesota. The event last visited Pittsburgh in 1997, when Joe Thornton was selected with the first overall pick by the Boston Bruins.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Pittsburgh Penguins, NHL Talk, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

awould's avatar

I think it’s long past time for the NHL to shine a spotlight on Pittsburgh. Most casual hockey fans probably don’t even know they have a team. The 2012 Who’s-The-Next-Crosby Annual NHL Lottery sponsored by the Commissioner’s Crosby Fan Club and hosted by Sidney Crosby should be a big hit and give the NHL an opportunity to finally showcase the one true talent in the NHL. I hear Sidney Crosby might be there.

Posted by awould on 10/25/11 at 03:43 PM ET

Primis's avatar

The hell?  They hosted in 1997, and they get it again already?

Wouldn’t Winnipeg make more sense if the league really wants to make a splash there?

At this rate, I’m really starting to hope Crosby never comes back because this has gotten beyond asinine.

Posted by Primis on 10/25/11 at 04:09 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

You guys think this is bad.  Wait until they announce that Pittsburgh will be hosting the 2013 Winter Classic.

Would anyone be surprised?

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 10/25/11 at 04:51 PM ET

You poor little Wings, why are you guys so upset everytime you read Pens. The world is against us, the world loves Pitts, boo hoo, you guys are the biggest babies in sports. Don’t care for Pitts, not my team, don’t have a team, have to say though, can’t stand the Wings, because the fans and this attitute that the NHL hates us.
Shut up already, we get it, you hate Crosby and Pitts, yada yada yada, cry a river.

Oh, my word to type at the bottom starts with 87, kuklas loves Sidney, what the hell, so sick of this, next time it will be 71,

Posted by Roboshow on 10/25/11 at 05:06 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

I guess the formula for getting the draft/winter classic/all star game, and a winning team is to file for bankruptcy twice almost lose the team twice and then arrange to get the #1 and #2 overall draft picks three or four times. How is this league surviving without #87 ??????

Posted by Down River Dan on 10/25/11 at 05:43 PM ET

awould's avatar

good one! i’m sure if that made sense it would be hilarious.

Posted by awould on 10/25/11 at 05:48 PM ET

Well, if some guy who can’t even take a stand and pick a team doesn’t like Detroit fans then we’d all better change our ways.

Posted by awould on 10/25/11 at 03:48 PM ET

HAH!

Posted by Garth on 10/25/11 at 06:46 PM ET

awould- for those not logged in, you have to write in the scramble word to post, my word happened to start with your favorite # 87.

Garth- your right, I can’t stand up and pick a team, such a loser, I wish I could wear a jersey with some guys name on it and when I talk about the team, include myself as part of the team, the “we” complex. http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7116518/what-do-mean-we

Posted by Roboshow on 10/25/11 at 07:21 PM ET

awould's avatar

Posted by Roboshow on 10/25/11 at 05:21 PM ET

Thanks for clarifying. If you have to explain a joke, it isn’t funny. Which was sort of my point.

I can’t stand up and pick a team, such a loser,

I agree, you probably are. You can’t find a team to cheer for yet you can find a team to hate on. That says a lot. And hating on the Red Wings puts you on a pretty large bandwagon, so at least you won’t get lonely.

I wonder what it feels like to watch a game and not care who wins?

This is like a grab-bag of generic anti-sports themes. You clearly have nothing useful to offer.

Posted by awould on 10/25/11 at 07:32 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

The NHL’s continuing fellatio to a city that almost lost its franchise, twice, continues unabated.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie, MI on 10/25/11 at 07:43 PM ET

OH NO A NEW ARENA IS HOSTING EVENTS

Posted by JBM on 10/26/11 at 05:24 AM ET

Whoa…..WIngs fans have their bitterness on today! I guess 2 ugly losses in a row will do that to you.

I am always amused by the bipolar-ness (if that’s a word) of the Wings fans, alternatively martyrs because the NHL done did them wrong and yet smug and selfrighteous about their team. You all really need to get over yourselves. When you complain this much about every little percieved slight, you make yourselves look really bad and undermine the great tradition that the Wings have.

Posted by VAHockeyFan on 10/26/11 at 12:23 PM ET

Russian Rocket's avatar

People are actually upset over this? Get over it. It’s the draft! When Detroit gets a new building you can bet they’ll be hosting a draft and an All Star game.

PS don’t be surprised to see Pittsburgh get an ASG game in the next handful of years.  It’s common sense, not favoritism.

Posted by Russian Rocket on 10/26/11 at 01:39 PM ET

awould's avatar

People are actually upset over this?

I’m not upset about it at all. I don’t care where they have the draft. I just think it’s become a parody of itself how much the NHL shoves Pittsburgh down our throats.

a new building you can bet they’ll be hosting a draft and an All Star game

Obviously a new arena deserves attention, it’s good to show off a new arena wherever it is. Unless, apparently, it’s a new arena in Phoenix, where they’ve never held an All-Star game or a draft. You’d think a new arena in Phoenix, where Bettman has gone out of his way to get a foothold, would’ve been given the opportunity at least once.

Posted by awould on 10/26/11 at 02:05 PM ET