Referee Auger Retires

NEW YORK (June 15, 2012) – National Hockey League referee and Montreal native Stephane Auger announced his retirement today, citing a desire to spend more time with his wife and three children.

“After 13 exciting years as an official for the National Hockey League, I have made the difficult decision to retire from this position in order to take a more active role in the growth of my three young children,” said Auger. “Time away from home during their adolescent years has become more and more difficult each season. Being closer to home will enable me to help my wife, Josée, and allow me to be a more present dad.”

“I would like to thank the NHL for allowing me to realize a childhood dream. The League and its officials have provided me with many fantastic memories that I will forever cherish.”

Filed in: NHL Talk, NHL Officiating, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: stephane+auger

Comments

the guy should have been forced out a few years ago.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 06/15/12 at 02:57 PM ET

Yup gtl. Good riddance.

Posted by loojay on 06/15/12 at 03:23 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

the guy should have been forced out a few years ago.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 06/15/12 at 12:57 PM ET

The down side, as if there is one, is that the replacement zebras suck much more than the guys calling it a career.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!! In ’13

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 06/15/12 at 03:24 PM ET

Primis's avatar

“I have made the difficult decision to retire from this position in order to take a more active role in the growth of my three young children,”

“The decision was made so much easier for me though when the NHL chose to not renew my contract.  They would have fired me outright earlier for my own gross incompetence, lack of class and tact, and severely tarnished reputation which resulted in several absolute embarrassments for the league… but thankfully I am part of a absurdly-powerful union of officials that saved my job and delayed the inevitable until the contract was up.”

“I have lived the dream.  I got to screw over players and teams I didn’t like at the highest level, and do so without fear of consequences.”

Brian Stubits over at CBS Sports probably says it best though:

“Unfortunately for Auger, he leaves with not the most stellar of reputations in the league. I admit to not knowing all of the refs the league has, but I know of Auger. The guy has been that notorious in his role for the NHL. Any time I was at a game and Auger was on the list as the referee, I invariably heard some form of groan from the other people in the press box.

Put another way, in the 13 years he was an NHL ref, Auger only did 10 playoff games. That is probably a good indication of things there.”

Good riddance you arrogant, unintelligent, blind idiot.

Posted by Primis on 06/15/12 at 03:25 PM ET

No doubt Alex Burrows has already passed along his best wishes to Mr. Auger on the occasion of his retirement.

Posted by mc keeper on 06/15/12 at 03:37 PM ET

Oh thank the hockey gods.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 06/15/12 at 03:46 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Retiring as a famous referee is almost never a good thing.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 06/15/12 at 04:04 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

No no J.J.  He’s INfamous.

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 06/15/12 at 04:12 PM ET

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

He’s INfamous

“Infamous” means “more than famous”.

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 06/15/12 at 04:21 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Not sure what dictionary you use Chris, but the quoted definitions for infamous are “having an extremely bad reputation;deserving of or causing an evil reputation; shamefully malign; detestable”, all of which I think apply to this particular d-bag in spades.

Posted by Hootinani on 06/15/12 at 06:29 PM ET

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

Not sure what dictionary you use Chris

I’m using the “dictionary” from the movie The Three Amigos.  It’s a funny scene. I know what “infamous” really means.

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 06/15/12 at 06:46 PM ET

Aphaea's avatar

I’m surprised to find out Auger lasted 13 years. Good riddance indeed.

@Hootinani: The Three Amigos define “infamous.”

Posted by Aphaea on 06/15/12 at 07:26 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Posted by Hootinani on 06/15/12 at 04:29 PM ET

Since when do you have to have a good reputation to be famous?  smile

But that’s semantics…so when in Rome…

I have no idea what San Diego means.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 06/15/12 at 07:59 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 06/15/12 at 04:46 PM ET

I knew right away. Amigo.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!! In ’13

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 06/15/12 at 08:31 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Sorry Chris, the only thing I remember from that movie is the “My Buttercup” scene, and the invisible swordsman.  In my defense, I was only 9 when that movie came out.

Posted by Hootinani on 06/16/12 at 01:01 PM ET

Wonder if he was given a nudge?  He wasn’t exactly a star.

Posted by 13 user names on 06/16/12 at 01:32 PM ET

Paul's avatar

He was 13.. David Shoalts has more info...

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 06/16/12 at 01:34 PM ET