Put Your Team Sweater On

You can officially be a ‘homer’ with this one.

Most of you have a team you consider as your favorite, so tell me who is the MVP so far this season and why.

This is not a vote for the MVP of the NHL, just your team.

For the Wings, I would vote for Jimmy Howard, no questions asked.  Without him, Wings would probably be very near or below the .500 mark.

Filed in: NHL Teams, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

EDJ's avatar

Jimmy Howard with Lidstrom deserving a mention as second.

Posted by EDJ on 11/30/11 at 05:35 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Jimmy Howard with Lidstrom deserving a mention as second.

I second.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 11/30/11 at 05:35 PM ET

For the Sharks it would be Joe Pavelski without a doubt.

Posted by Spencere from San Jose, CA on 11/30/11 at 05:35 PM ET

Patrick Elias - stability and production on a team where the stars are underachieving.

Posted by Pete K from South Jersey on 11/30/11 at 05:40 PM ET

Zaze's avatar

For the wings I’m gonna pull a gary and not nominate howard (even though he probably should be).  Ian White has been fantastic, +11, 4-7-11, and a puck to the face.  He gets my vote.

Posted by Zaze on 11/30/11 at 05:46 PM ET

EDJ's avatar

Although I’d like to say: a lot of people put down Ian White when he got signed, saying that (obviously) he’s no Rafalski, but I always thought he’d fit right in. Although he doesn’t put up the same offensive numbers, I’d go so far as to say he’s played more responsibly in his zone than Rafalski did in the last season, although Rafalski’s failing back had a lot to do with it. Without his solid play and Filppula’s emergence (finally… hold your breath and hope he sustains it), the Wings would be even further out. If the Wings get some guys to step up in the locker room, Kindl gets some more trust and Jimmy Howard doesn’t get injured (God forbid… can you imagine Conklin carrying the team through the playoffs?), I see the Wings making some waves in the playoffs. Recently we’ve gone through Datsyuk and Zetterberg droughts but I can confidently say for most of the players that they are locks to kick up their game come playoff time. It’s a question of mental resolve, and it’s unclear whether it’ll trickle down from the top guns like Lidstrom, Zetterberg, Datsyuk and Kronwall to the younger guys without someone like Draper disperse the gasoline and light it up.

Here’s to the journey…

Posted by EDJ on 11/30/11 at 05:48 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Filppula

But seriously, Lidstrom.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 11/30/11 at 05:48 PM ET

EDJ's avatar

Zaze, I was writing my comment while you posted yours. Obviously I agree that White has played excellently, but I can’t agree that he’s meant more positive contribution than Howard has.

Posted by EDJ on 11/30/11 at 05:49 PM ET

Zaze's avatar

Yea I hear ya.  If you ask me 5 mins later who I think the MVP of the wings is, the answer will probably change.  That’s just how I roll wink

Posted by Zaze on 11/30/11 at 05:52 PM ET

aaron in phoenix's avatar

Mike Smith for The Coyotes. I was nervous coming into the season with him as the starter, but he has played amazingly well, and way above my expectations.

Posted by aaron in phoenix from Section 102 on 11/30/11 at 05:52 PM ET

EDJ's avatar

I don’t remember who said it, maybe Friedman, but they wrote an interesting article on why the Coyotes signed Mike Smith. It had to do with the goalie coach and how he thought he could best teach a player with a build similar to his own. Mike Smith apparently fit that description.

I have been quite impressed with his play.

Posted by EDJ on 11/30/11 at 05:56 PM ET

aaron in phoenix's avatar

Yes. Tippet knew him from his days in Dallas, and Sean Burke (goalie coach) wanted Smith and his input sold GM Maloney on him. Burke likes bigger goalies, and knows how to train them. Smith is something like 6’3’‘.

Smith has never played more than 42 games in a season though, so the second half of the season should be interesting. Hopefully Labarbara can get his game going.

Posted by aaron in phoenix from Section 102 on 11/30/11 at 06:02 PM ET

BrendonR's avatar

I agree with Paul.

Posted by BrendonR on 11/30/11 at 06:07 PM ET

Link_Gaetz's avatar

Pittsburgh Penguins—-> Marc-Andre Fleury.

Fleury has always had the tools, but he would let in soft goals at the worst possible times. Since last year (namely the second half), he has been lights out. He rarely lets in soft goals, while continuing to make the game-saving stops he always made. He definitelty carried the team through their injury troubles.

Posted by Link_Gaetz on 11/30/11 at 06:09 PM ET

phillyd's avatar

Flyers - Giroux, although I’m beginning to think Jagr might be the unsung MVP, if that’s even a category. No one knew where the offense lost by the departure of Carter/Richards would come from but Giroux has more than made up for it and also kills penalties etc. However, the more I read about the team and listen to the team talk, the influence Jagr has on the growth of not only Giroux, but the other youngsters on the team as well has me thinking it may be him for more than just the on-ice actions.

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 11/30/11 at 06:35 PM ET

James F. Howard.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 11/30/11 at 06:38 PM ET

Da lil Guy's avatar

Ottawa - Erik Karlsson (22pts in 24 games, leads the team in ice time and has improved his defensive game quite a bit.)

Hon. Mentions to Milan Michalek (currently 14 goals, 20 pts. and more imporantly 6 pts ahead of Heatley) and Jason Spezza (taken a real leadership role, and has 9 goals and 14 assists).

Posted by Da lil Guy from Guelph, Ontario on 11/30/11 at 06:43 PM ET

WingMan's avatar

Leafs - Kessel

Unsung:  Lupul, Phaneuf, Bozak, Gunnarson & Gardiner

Posted by WingMan from The Q C on 11/30/11 at 07:01 PM ET

christpuncher's avatar

I’m on the “Howard train” as well!

Posted by christpuncher from Detroit, MI on 11/30/11 at 07:03 PM ET

WingMan's avatar

Leafs - Kessel

Unsung:  Lupul, Phaneuf, Bozak, Gunnarson & Gardiner

Reason, easily has been best offensive player on team and has visibly put in an effort to be more responsible defensively.  Shows less attitude, which comes with maturity.

Posted by WingMan from The Q C on 11/30/11 at 07:03 PM ET

Itrusteddrrahmani's avatar

Tough not to choose Howard for this, but if I had to pick second place I’d go with Flip.

Posted by Itrusteddrrahmani from Nyc by way of A2 on 11/30/11 at 07:12 PM ET

dickshilling's avatar

Flames: uhh….give me a sec…surely i can think of something

Posted by dickshilling on 11/30/11 at 07:25 PM ET

penguins - dupuis
runner up - cooke
HM - neal

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 11/30/11 at 07:26 PM ET

TKShreve's avatar

Lidstrom and Jimmy split the award for me.

Posted by TKShreve from East Uptown on 11/30/11 at 07:45 PM ET

kings40's avatar

KINGS - J Quick, possibly the most under-rated goalie in the league

Posted by kings40 from Los Angeles on 11/30/11 at 07:47 PM ET

Da lil Guy's avatar

Quick is on 3 of my four fantasy teams, and I was able to get him late in all of them.

Also my all-star vote for goaltenders.

Posted by Da lil Guy from Guelph, Ontario on 11/30/11 at 07:53 PM ET

Flashtastick56's avatar

Neal or Fleury.  Dupuis has been really good, too…

Posted by Flashtastick56 from Meriden, CT on 11/30/11 at 07:59 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

I’ll throw Howard the nod as well, but mainly just to salt the wound that the NHL doesn’t consider him an All-Star.

I personally think Datsyuk has been incredibly important to the team, even though he’s not lighting the lamp enough. He’s remarkably responsible defensively.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 11/30/11 at 08:19 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Hands down jimmmaaah.. with king lidas as a second

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 11/30/11 at 08:20 PM ET

Jimmy Howard hands down. The Wings would be dead in the water without his outstanding goaltending. No matter how bad things got during the losing streak Howie still had the same swagger and it should be safe to say he’ll hold on to it.

Posted by selke13 on 11/30/11 at 08:33 PM ET

Pens - Fleury.  He has been amazingly consistent to start the year.

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 11/30/11 at 10:17 PM ET

For the Flames, the only player worth mentioning is Kipper. Absolutely no one on the team, including Giordano, is playing up to their potential.

Posted by Iggy_Rules on 11/30/11 at 11:08 PM ET

Savage Henry's avatar

J. Howard.  His play is the only thing that kept The Wings form being laughingstocks during their down times this season.

Posted by Savage Henry on 12/01/11 at 12:53 AM ET

For the Canucks, Cory Schneider right now. Making up for Luongo’s weak start to the season, pretty nearly unbeatable the last several games.

Posted by surreal78 from vancouver, bc on 12/01/11 at 02:01 AM ET

Brian Elliot has been great.

Posted by die hard blues fan from Louisiana on 12/01/11 at 11:56 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

MAF = this generation’s Osgood

And that is a compliment. He appears maddening at times with the soft goals, but he fits his team well, makes huge saves, and they continue to win. He won’t have the fanfare of Luongo, Price, Miller, and Lundqvist, and maybe for good reason, but in the end everyone will be having the conversation about, holy crap, look at this guy’s numbers… he’s a HOFer.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 12/01/11 at 12:21 PM ET