Predators Continue To Make History

from David Climer of The Tennessean,

OK, OK. I realize that right now they’re rolling their eyes about all this in Montreal, Toronto, Detroit and those other NHL cities that own multiple Stanley Cups.

To them, the thought of celebrating a first-round playoff victory is a punch line.

Note to all you hockey snobs: Stick it. Or high-stick it, if you will.

continued

OK, OK, David Climer, I gave you a pass yesterday when you mentioned Stanley Cup and Toronto in the same sentence, but today, you must stop.  Do you realize when the Leafs last won the Cup, there were six teams in the league.  Please, if/when you write about hockey, do some research and no, I am not a hockey snob.  But understand, more hockey people than ever will be reading your columns, so be prepared.

One more thing, Montreal does celebrate a first round victory, all you have to do is follow the game to know that.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Nashville Predators, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Congrats to the Predators and all, but the worst thing about the win for them yesterday was that, at the end of the game, the audience had to do their whole “Hey! YOU SUCK!” song to the defeated team.  I understand doing that during the series, but, come on, show some sportsmanship.  Your team won, no need to continue the taunts.  This isn’t college.

Posted by BuzzFledderjohn on 04/25/11 at 10:33 AM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

Catfish on the barbie.

Posted by Rdwings28 on 04/25/11 at 10:42 AM ET

Primis's avatar

Let’s be fair here.

This is a milestone for sure for the Preds.  To make it finally to the second round, an achievement for sure.  Any “first” like that is noteworthy.

However, if we’re being fair and honest still…. how is it that they went THIS long?  They were still in that rarified air with the Jackets and Thrashers with no series wins, and the Preds have had a ton more opportunities and quitew frankly better teams.

And let’s also be fair:  they still aren’t serious contenders for anything meaningful..

Baby steps yes, but this is like a baby taking until 8 years old to finally start toddling…

Posted by Primis on 04/25/11 at 10:48 AM ET

Congrats to the Preds, can’t be easy to be a hockey faithful in a non-traditional market with plenty of places trying to poach their team, but they do have at least one series under their belts.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 04/25/11 at 10:56 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I’m pretty sure they’re rolling their eyes in cities that don’t have multiple Stanley Cups as well.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/25/11 at 11:02 AM ET

Forlorn in VA's avatar

Good lord.  I don’t think anyone is “rolling their eyes” about the fans celebrating their first round victory.  I KNOW I’m rolling my eyes at this article and it’s author.

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 04/25/11 at 11:27 AM ET

bezukov's avatar

I know its easy to generalize in sports, and I know that every team has its share of low life fans, but I don’t know of any other NHL city that does this.  Now I’m not going to go and say that Bubba is classless, but any time I start finding myself giving the Preds a little respect (they do have a good team this year after all) that cheer brings me right back to square one with them.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 04/25/11 at 12:22 PM ET

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

David Climer is the Mitch Albom of Tennessean sports writers.

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 04/25/11 at 12:25 PM ET

w2j2's avatar

Congrats to the Predators!
They are a very good team;  not only now, but year in, year out.
They battle hard, they forecheck hard, and they always play tough against the Wings.
David Poile and Barrie Trotz are among the best.

Posted by w2j2 on 04/25/11 at 12:28 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I like that they’re pumpin’ their tires right now.. I like that they’re letting themselves get pumped over the 1st series win..  Should make it harder for them to start on time next series against a team that’s hungry for nothing less than the Stanley Cup.. They’re a tough team but they were hoping for round two, not to win it all.. just a matter of time now.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 04/25/11 at 12:57 PM ET

Incognetis's avatar

True, Paul, but they also flip and torch cars if they lose smile

Posted by Incognetis from Delaware... Hi... I'm in... Delaware on 04/25/11 at 12:59 PM ET

pwnicholson's avatar

Climer is an embarrassment to the city of Nashville. We’ve got some decent (still not good) writers at the Tennessean for the Preds, but Climer usually bothers to write a non-Titans piece about once every 4 months. Your criticism is spot on. He’s the ultimate bandwagon (local) journalist.

Posted by pwnicholson from Nashville, TN on 04/25/11 at 01:07 PM ET

pwnicholson's avatar

Posted by BuzzFledderjohn

Agree. That’s a frustration I have, and I sit in the “Cell Block” who starts those chants. I’m all for taunting opposing goalies, but we spend more time after every goal telling the other team they suck than telling our team we support them. We do plenty of “Let’s go Preds” chants during the game, but at the biggest moments of celebration we get all petty.

None of that was as disappointing to me as ‘fans’ throwing their rally towels on the ice after the ENG with 9.2 secs left. Delayed the end of the game and the real celebration and showed no respect for either team on the ice. (I wouldn’t have done it, but also have no problem with people tossing the towels on the ice *after* the game ended).

It’s a franchise on a rapid climb in the last year. Bandwagon is growing and we’re attracting the associated newbies. (continue to) Be patient with us.

Posted by pwnicholson from Nashville, TN on 04/25/11 at 01:11 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

My thoughts exactly.  I expect Nashville will just be happy they made it next round.  Remember when the CBJ finally made the playoffs in ‘09?  They didn’t wake up until the third period of game three.  My money is on whoever draws Nashville in the next round to get a pass to the WCF.  I hope the Wings get them, because I think they’ll be low hanging fruit, and this Wings fan will take it.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 04/25/11 at 02:21 PM ET

@pwnicholson - That was very big of you. Your two comments actually gave me hope as to the Preds becoming a solid franchise with some fans with class to back it. I was happy to see them win. Mostly I have to admit, because I hate Anaheim, but a lot of it is I respect Weber’s crazy shot, and your goalie Rinne is scary.

Now that the pleasantries have been handed out, LET’S GO RED WINGS!!!!!

Posted by Kyran on 04/25/11 at 02:24 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

Congrats to preds fans and PW. I’d like you guys more if you’d ban whistles in your arena. I’m hoping for a sweep against, not because I hate your team or your fans, but I hate hearing those damned whistles when Tootoo is on the ice.

But winning a series is a big deal. Columbus has yet to win a single postseason game.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 04/25/11 at 02:32 PM ET

pwnicholson's avatar

@redxblack - Starting a couple of weeks ago they started selling vuvzelas in the pro shop. If you think the Tootoo whistles were bad…  Honestly I kinda like them though, especially during the long standing O’s. As long as they aren’t right next to my ear that is.

Posted by pwnicholson from Nashville, TN on 04/25/11 at 02:41 PM ET

Being a sunbelt, non traditional market team that gets constantly trashed by the Great White North and American hockey snobs, a bit of pre-emptive trash talking about Montreal, Toronto and Detroit is appropriate. Being offended by it is questionalble behavior unless he has hit a sore spot.

Posted by timbits on 04/25/11 at 03:35 PM ET

Oh, and yelling “you suck”  after winning is classless unless you are yelling it at Anaheim. Other than Teemu, Anaheim is classless!  You also need to take into account they only know to yell “you suck” during the Hey song in unison and they didn’t know what else to yell. Preds need to replace the Hey song with something else AFTER the game and the problem goes away.

Posted by timbits on 04/25/11 at 03:43 PM ET

pwnicholson's avatar

@timbits - Actually, we only did the “You Suck” after “Rock and Roll part 2” (aka ‘the hey song’) for the empty net goal. All this year, at the conclusion of a win game ops has played DJ Khaled’s “All I Do Is Win” (which is why Preds fans on twitter frequently post “hands go up!” after wins).

Posted by pwnicholson from Nashville, TN on 04/25/11 at 04:15 PM ET

But it’s not a pre-emptive strike, it’s pre-emptive defensiveness bordering on an inferiority complex.

Posted by Garth on 04/25/11 at 04:19 PM ET

for the empty net goal

Good point, it just appeared to run long and carry over to the after game celebration. Kudos to Nashville, this kind of criticism only comes when you win. Keep it up, and you don’t owe any apologies to anyone for celebrating a win!! The rest of the hockey world doesn’t need to approve!!

Posted by timbits on 04/25/11 at 04:32 PM ET

If you were paying attention to the past 5 years of treatment by the media and Mr. Ballsillie you would be sensitive to it as well!!!

Posted by timbits on 04/25/11 at 04:33 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I just wish sports teams would stop using ‘Rock and Roll: Part 2’

I know it’s not completely related, but look up the guy who wrote the song (Gary Glitter)

I wouldn’t want that kind of a name attached anywhere near my team.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/25/11 at 04:43 PM ET

And that has what exactly to do with what?  Why does that mean that anyone should not be proud of winning their first playoff series, or that for some reason that you should expect franchises that have been around for a hundred years are going to shit on you for celebrating such a milestone?

Posted by Garth on 04/25/11 at 05:06 PM ET

All I want to know is if the person who threw the catfish was ejected and fined, if not then who cares.

Posted by selke13 on 04/25/11 at 06:14 PM ET