Oh No Dan Boyle

Avs/Sharks in OT, Boyle attempts to backhand the puck behind his own net from the corner, instead, he was a bit off target and beat Evgeni Nabokov on the shortside.

Colorado wins 1-0, up 2-1 in the series.

added 12:33pm, Boyle post game, “pretty much the worst thing that can happen to a player.”

added 12:49am, Watch the goal…

Filed in: NHL Teams, Colorado Avalanche, San Jose Sharks, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: dan+boyle

Comments

ouch!!!!

Posted by skip on 04/19/10 at 02:36 AM ET

Osrt's avatar

As much as I hate them and want to laugh…man…that is just a rough rough moment for Boyle; he played a really solid game too.

Doug Wilson should be put on suicide watch.

Posted by Osrt on 04/19/10 at 02:36 AM ET

Steve Smith is probably calling Dan Boyle right now.

Posted by FlyersFan on 04/19/10 at 02:41 AM ET

San Jose owned every aspect of that game and Anderson slammed the door. He was unbelievable.

...but being beaten three periods by a goaltender, only to have one of your own players finish you off in OT. That may be one of the most unbelievable hockey moments I’ve ever witnessed.

Posted by Da lil Guy from Ottawa on 04/19/10 at 02:43 AM ET

Sharks completely outplayed the Avs all game, saved only by Anderson, and then this happens.  So rough. Straight up bad luck.

Posted by SJ Fan from SJ on 04/19/10 at 02:43 AM ET

Of course it happens to San Jose, the team which probably had the most fragile mindset in the playoffs given their history of flaming out in a big way.  I can’t even imagine what my mindset would be if I were a SJ player right now, or even a fan.

Posted by Dan from Pittsburgh, PA on 04/19/10 at 02:44 AM ET

Oh man the refs in this game…oh wait…forget that.  Cue the Nabokov beach ball pictures for real this time.

Posted by stoneman from vegas on 04/19/10 at 02:56 AM ET

Luongo-is-my-hero's avatar

oh man, hahahha that is too funny.  What a game to end. SJ dominated the game despite what the scoreboard says, yet they lose the way they do.  I wonder how much this destroyed their psyche, people thought they were playoff choke artists before, now they just brought it to another level

Posted by Luongo-is-my-hero on 04/19/10 at 03:01 AM ET

Still waiting to hear from someone how Bettman and Crosby somehow were able to get Dan Boyle in on the conspiracy.  Anyone have any leads?

Posted by Chase on 04/19/10 at 03:03 AM ET

perfection's avatar

Hi-friggin-larious!!!

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 04/19/10 at 03:13 AM ET

Apparently luck>hard work. Ive never seen a more undeserving team win a sports game. As a Wings fan I felt really bad for the Sharks. Ive seen the Wings just completely outwork a team and come away empty handed.

Posted by EpicFail88 on 04/19/10 at 03:20 AM ET

I’ve watched many hockey games and I’ve never seen a game end like that. San Jose played it as perfectly as you could play it and still lost. If that’s not proof the Sharks are cursed, I don’t know what is.

I’m going to go out on a limb and boldly predict that Joe Thornton and Evgeni Nabokov are gone should the Sharks lose again. It’s becoming increasingly obvious that neither can deliver the goods when it matters most so it’s time for a change.

-DG

Posted by DG from Alliston, ON on 04/19/10 at 04:07 AM ET

There is something seriously wrong in San Jose. The mental destruction is beyond anything I have seen before. Maybe Fran Tarkington and the Minnesota Vikings, but at least they made it to the Superbowl 4 times. To have a team with so much talent and so little mental strength is unbelievable. The common denominator for all of this is Patrick Marleau, I think his personality dominates this team and it needs to be changed. I think Shark management knew this when they took his captaincy away, but they need to take the next step and trade him. I know they find it difficult because he is a nice guy, but that is the problem. Too many nice guys!

Posted by Timbits on 04/19/10 at 04:15 AM ET

EFWolverine's avatar

but they need to take the next step and trade him.

If the Sharks flame out again, they won’t have to, they can just tell him to kick rocks. He’s UFA.

Posted by EFWolverine from Dearborn on 04/19/10 at 04:23 AM ET

Sharks will win the next three games in a row.

Posted by Ryan from Toronto on 04/19/10 at 06:03 AM ET

Baroque's avatar

Oh, poor Dan Boyle. That’s awful.

Sharks will win the next three games in a row.

Posted by Ryan from Toronto on 04/19/10 at 04:03 AM ET

They have the talent. They always have had talent. This is going to be a test for them and their abilities to move on after a crushing loss, more than most teams ever have to cope with. Coming back to win the series after this may be the toughest test of the postseason if they can manage it.

Posted by Baroque from Michigan on 04/19/10 at 09:05 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

Seeing the dive celebrate afterwords really had to sting.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 04/19/10 at 09:50 AM ET

Wow That has Got to SUCK !!! YIKES !!!!

How Long does Wilson last if the Sharks crap the bed again?? They fired Ron Wilson, He is next in line

Posted by Evilpens on 04/19/10 at 10:49 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Part of me wants to feel sorry for Dan Boyle, but then the rest of me remembers that he’s Dan Boyle and an awesome wave of schadenfreude washes over me.

I’m really interested to see how the Sharks will respond.  This has got to be a terrifying wake-up call for them.  I don’t know if anything less than pure domination in game four is going to be enough for them now.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/19/10 at 11:07 AM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

The SJS came awfully close to that last night;  they outshot COL 43-8 after the 1st.

Evil Karma lurks in the SJS room - - it must be that - - maybe Jobu has found a new team to haunt.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 04/19/10 at 11:32 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

The SJS came awfully close to that last night; they outshot COL 43-8 after the 1st.

We, as Red Wings fans, have a better understanding than most that puck-possession and shooting differences don’t make up crap for domination if that goose egg stays on the scoreboard.

I think they’ll need a gap win.  Not one of those 1-goal games or one where you win by two or three thanks to the last-minute empty netters, but a three-goal win from start-to-finish where the opponents were never in it. They have to not only solve Anderson, but to crush him.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/19/10 at 11:42 AM ET

Osrt's avatar

If San Jose can mentally recover and win this series….they win the Cup. But they won’t.

Posted by Osrt on 04/19/10 at 12:09 PM ET

Moq's avatar

That’s just ridiculously unfortunate. A stern test of mental toughness coming up, but I think they can do it.

Posted by Moq from Denmark on 04/19/10 at 12:48 PM ET

Does anyone know if Joe Thornton, or Patrick Marleau willing be playing next game. Based on what I ve seen it appears both have been healthy scratchs 3 straight games.

Posted by Is Marleau even playing on 04/19/10 at 12:57 PM ET

Nabokov has to stop that. And should be just as embarrassed as Boyle.

Posted by greggiemchabfan from Nova Scotia on 04/19/10 at 01:57 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Nabokov has to stop that. And should be just as embarrassed as Boyle.

Posted by greggiemchabfan from Nova Scotia on 04/19/10 at 11:57 AM ET

Abslutely, 100%.

While it was a bad play by Boyle, it was an even WORSE play by Nabby.  Why is he not over there hugging the pipe?  You can’t let that in, form that angle, whether your own teammate shoots it or not.

While Boyle is the village idiot for the moment, Nabby is really the one at fault.

Posted by Primis on 04/19/10 at 02:19 PM ET

Posted by Is Marleau even playing on 04/19/10 at 10:57 AM ET

LOL…yeah I agree. Neither stepped up last night. I don’t think I heard any of their names called by the announcers during the game.

Nabokov has to stop that. And should be just as embarrassed as Boyle.

Posted by greggiemchabfan from Nova Scotia on 04/19/10 at 11:57 AM ET

Abslutely, 100%.

Posted by Primis on 04/19/10 at 12:19 PM ET

I agree that Nabokov is at fault, but I don’t fault him as much as Boyle. No goaltender could ever expect his own player to backhand the puck into his own net.

-DG