No Love For Philly?

via Sam Carchidi of Broad Street Bull,

At the risk of sounding like a homer, you can call the Flyers “Team Snubbed.”

When the NHL announced its three finalists for the Calder Trophy, given the league’s rookie of the year, Matt Read was bypassed _ even though he led first-year players in goals and game-winning tallies.

Jaromir Jagr, the Flyers’ 40-year-old winger, was surprisingly not named one of the three finalists for the Masterton Trophy, awarded for perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to hockey.

The Calder and Masterton are selected in a poll of the Professional Hockey Writers’ Association.

On Tuesday, Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren gave the Flyers a Snubbed Trio.

No GM in the NHL came close to matching the guts Holmgren displayed by remaking his team and trading away Mike Richards and Jeff Carter, the faces of the team.

Yet, Holmgren was not one of the three finalists for the General Manager of the Year award. The finalists: St. Louis’ Doug Armstrong, Nashville’s David Poile and Florida’s Dale Tallon.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Philadelphia Flyers, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

As they should be. The high GAA, The high PIMs, and the low 5 on 5 production all bode unwell for the Flyers. If they run into a team with any kind of discipline, they will lose. They got a tired Pens team to take their bait and provide a steady stream of guys to the box and the Flyers feasted on their suddenly woeful PK. I’ll be surprised if the Flyers win 2 more game this post season.

Posted by billvill from Boston on 04/25/12 at 02:23 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

Even in a perfect situation, I can’t see the NHL giving Jagr much accolades since he bolted to the KHL for the paycheck. It seems petty, but this is Bettman’s league.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 04/25/12 at 02:27 PM ET

phillyd's avatar

So now the Pens were a tired team even though every prognosticator had them winning the cup? I love how people change their tune on a team when they feel the lost to an inferior opponent or “didn’t play their game”. Anyone ever think they couldn’t play their game because the Flyers didn’t let them? Hmm. As a fan, the only one I didn’t understand was Holmgren not being a finalist for the GM award as I don’t think a team ever did what the Flyers did in trading their captain and leading goal scorer and for the most part not missing a beat.

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 04/25/12 at 02:38 PM ET

What a Homer of an article, terrible! None of the choices on the Flyers are better than those selected, not even close.

Posted by Roboshow from Calgary on 04/25/12 at 02:39 PM ET

petshark's avatar

The only one I consider a proper snub is Read.  I guess he didn’t get enough assists, or the NHL still can’t cope with rookies being over 19.

Holmgren did some interesting things (crazy? genius?) but without a coach who is awesome with rookies, it would have been a mess.  Maybe he knew all that but I think the more impressive feat was what Lavy did with the players Holmgren gave him.  Signing Jagr was a very good move, I don’t think any team needed him as much as the Flyers did.  But PH still made enough very strange decisions (Lilja for 2 yrs?) to make me wonder if it was really a good plan or luck.

As redxblack said, Jagr will never be forgiven for honoring a promise to anyone but the NHL.  I’m sure he cries himself to sleep over it. (not)

Posted by petshark from Nor Cal, and on Twitter @petshark47 on 04/25/12 at 02:40 PM ET

phillyd's avatar

Posted by petshark from Nor Cal, and on Twitter @petshark47 on 04/25/12 at 01:40 PM ET

Lilja signing was strange, however, it was kind of made clear he would be the 6th/7th defenseman on the team from the get go. He just wound up playing 5th (or worse, 4th) defenseman minutes. I don’t think Read being snubbed rubbed me more then Homer because Read would disappear for stretches at a time (offensively). I think the other ones in the top-3 were much more consistent. On the coach, remember, Homer hired him and made the decision because he knew the guy would be good with the rookies/young players.

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 04/25/12 at 02:44 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I don’t consider Jagr much of a sportsman, and based on his (admittedly often funny) barbs thrown out this season, I don’t consider him a Masterton snub at all.

No idea on Read or the Calder. I really dropped the ball paying attention to rookies this season.

Holmgren made a lot of tough choices and this is certainly his team. Did Holmgren get “lucky” that Laviolette is good with rookies or did he put in place a coach that’s good at taking care of the team he put together?  I think Holmgren is a better GM than Tallon, but I still think Poile wins it this year as the lifetime achievement award.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/25/12 at 03:01 PM ET

petshark's avatar

phillyd, I agree, PH was smart to hire Lavy but it was under such odd circumstances that I’m not ready to label it genius.  I do like Holmgren as a GM, but I think the other candidates did a better job.  I really like Tallon for the award just because he put together such a surprising bunch, including so many “also rans”. Only did ok on goaltending.  I think getting Ramsay was very smart (tho not genius, those who didn’t try to get had to be blind).  I give more points for making experienced guys work together quickly than rookies, since rookies are very pliable and vets come w/ baggage.

So I don’t think PH was the worst by any means, just not the best this season.

Posted by petshark from Nor Cal, and on Twitter @petshark47 on 04/25/12 at 03:02 PM ET

phillyd's avatar

Posted by petshark from Nor Cal, and on Twitter @petshark47 on 04/25/12 at 02:02 PM ET

My beef with Tallon is he overpaid guys to reach the cap floor and most of the guys contributing were probably there before he got there (don’t know enough about Florida, making an assumption). I agree that Poile probably wins it regardless.

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 04/25/12 at 03:09 PM ET

petshark's avatar

philly d, Tallon brought in a bunch of players, but maybe I should give him less credit for it working, it had to be coaching too.

Posted by petshark from Nor Cal, and on Twitter @petshark47 on 04/25/12 at 03:15 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

Lilja is vastly underrated.  He’s kind’ve a “I’ll give you defense and nothing but defense” kind’ve guy and people tend to look down their nose at those guys.  He’d fit in just fine on a trap team and be very effective.  Minnesota, a couple years back, had plenty of them.

For a team that plays on the edge and incurs a lot of penalties, a guy who is an above average penalty killer who expects no offensive shifts and plays cleanly enough he won’t give up many penalties in his own right doesn’t seem all that bad.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 04/25/12 at 04:52 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

I’m glad Lilja’s concussion symptoms are a thing of the past. I really liked the guy when he played in Detroit.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 04/25/12 at 08:55 PM ET

hey bill,i’d be surprised if the Bruins won another game since thats hard to do from the golf course…boom!

Posted by provolone from florida via south philly on 04/27/12 at 04:19 PM ET