Move Malkin?

from Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review,

There are three steps Shero can take this offseason to get the Penguins back to where they once belonged.

Crosby and Malkin will be more dominant with a young, skilled wing to grow with.

However, given the cap constraints, the only way to land that wing is to move one of them for a package that would upgrade the roster and replenish a system that lacks impact forwards beyond top prospect Eric Tangradi.

Staal’s development as a Selke Trophy candidate for his defensive work and offensive upside—at 21, he has produced three 20-goal seasons as a third-liner—gives the Penguins the option of trading Crosby or Malkin. Staal is a prototype No. 2 center and an emerging dressing-room leader.

The Penguins won’t trade Crosby, who aside from being team captain is the franchise’s face. Malkin, already a scoring champion and playoff MVP at 23, is the guy to shop.

Shero should start making calls to his contemporaries, and his first words should be: “Make me an offer for Malkin.” It must include a top-line wing, a top-pairing defenseman, two roster players and either two top prospects or two first-round picks.

read on

added 9:33am, from Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal,

Malkin, who has four years left on his contract, is hardly excess baggage, but if Shero were to pick up the phone and start canvassing his lodge-brothers he might get what he sorely needs—two top-six forwards. If he could get two wingers who make about $8 million total that would be less than Malkin’s $8.7-million cap hit, and maybe a team would throw in a stocking stuffer, too.  A good draft pick or a top-nine, young-20s forward.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Pittsburgh Penguins, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: evgeni+malkin

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

Baroque's avatar

What team could afford to gut their roster for Malkin, though? For the same reasons Pittsburgh should trade him (in this writer’s opinion) other teams should shy away from it for the same reason. One extremely talented player does not make up for losing many competent NHL players off of a team’s roster.

Posted by Baroque from Michigan on 05/16/10 at 11:33 AM ET

Moq's avatar

Well, no one saw this one coming.  rolleyes

Admittedly, you could argue the trade from cold fiscal realities and promises of a great return. Pittsburgh has depth at center on the roster in Staal with system centers capable of playing his third role good enough. Getting a couple of young and capable wingers would seem ideal (with a bit of cap relief) would seem ideal. However, these deals often end up as failures, the extreme talents continued production and the return a bitter disappointment (Pittsburgh even has experience in that area). The chances of getting a sufficient return for Malkin aren’t that significant.

I would rather live with Malkin’s inconsistencies for now while hoping to see the full development of his immense talent. Especially only a year removed from his most successful and dominant season. Perhaps it’ll be an aberration, but more evidence is needed.

Posted by Moq from Denmark on 05/16/10 at 11:47 AM ET

Evilpens's avatar

1st off When has Staal EVER consistently proven he is a 2nd Line Center ??? Anyone Bueller Bueller ??? ANYONE ??

Also I didn’t Know you Got the Selke Nomination for your “offensive Upside”

Posted by Evilpens on 05/16/10 at 12:08 PM ET

Tony's avatar

Rossi is so full of himself nowadays that he rarely posts an article that DOESN’T talk about how buddy-buddy he is with one of the players, or wants to make some journalistic splash to make himself seem like Mr. Hockey Know-It-All….

Did you see the video reports he was making in the last few games ?  He was actually on the ice, banging himself on the boards and at the blue line….

It’s actually funny reading how much of a joke he’s becoming online….

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 05/16/10 at 12:20 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Well Tony I think the Proble is, The Trib sees Sports as a Necessary evil with Having paper, They are MUCH MORE WORRIED & INTERESTED In News & Especially POLITICS !! Which being a Libertarian Rep. I can’t appreciate That , But look at who their Columnists are Now & who they Have been in the Past & look at who the Beat Writers are for the Teams sick

I avoid Rossi like a Vampire avoids Sunlight & Holy Water

Posted by Evilpens on 05/16/10 at 12:29 PM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

“Retard Rob Rossi again never fails to disappoint!! Rossi Hates Geno !! Loves Staal & BLows MAF & Basice is a Short Bus Window Licking Retard who has been a FAILURE at everything he has EVER done in the Sports media “

Gee whiz, I wish for just once you tell us what you really think….....  wink

Posted by Rdwings28 on 05/16/10 at 12:29 PM ET

Rdwings28

I am In the Pgh. area & I have had the Unfortunate “Ability” to see his career from the Beginning to now

Believe Me, Just ask Tony & I am sure he will agree with Me, Maybe not as vociferously as Me, But he will agree   LOL

Posted by Evilpens on 05/16/10 at 12:32 PM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

We’d love to hear Tony’s unvarnished thoughts….. By the way I’ll say Hawks 4, Minnows 2. Habs 3, Phliars 1. Philly spends too much energy trying to do damage hitting, Habs get at least one breakaway goal.

Posted by Rdwings28 on 05/16/10 at 12:36 PM ET

Tony's avatar

Well, Staal is a strange bird to figure out….

His combination of offensive and defensive abilities, as a 3rd line center, are nearly unmatched in the NHL….

However, previous attempts at either moving him up to 2nd line center, or even putting him on one of the top two lines at forward have failed….

Now, is that worth $4M a year ??  That’s the question…..

In terms of Malkin, in my view you simply cannot trade world-class talent like that…  Have excellent/good players been traded recently ??  Sure…  I would think the Bruins are still hurting from the Thornton trade… And Heatley sure didn’t mind a change of scenery….

But those players don’t have the capability to frankly take a game over like Malkin “can”.... Now, he only had a couple of those type of games this past season…..

So because he didn’t have a MVP and/or Conn Smythe year, now GMRS must trade him ??

I would hope that GMRS is laughing when he gets reports on these rumors….

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 05/16/10 at 12:49 PM ET

Paul's avatar

While I understand how you folks feel about Rossi, after all, you know his style better than I do, Matheson is writing just about the same thing.

You can probably expect the rumor fools to be all all over this in the coming weeks so if I were a Pens fan, I would just get used to it.

If they were to trade Malkin, I imagine the best way to do it is the way the Bruins handled the Thornton deal and keep it quiet as much as possible.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/16/10 at 01:23 PM ET

cs6687's avatar

Rob Rossi has no clue about hockey. He suggested the Penguins reacquire Petr Sykora at the trade deadline this year. Enough said. He’s clueless.

Posted by cs6687 on 05/16/10 at 01:32 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Yes Paul it was Started by the IDIOT from Hockey News John Grigg when questioned on the Fan 93,7 host Jon Seibel about would you trade one of the 5 Best players in the League, That Moron SCOFFED at Malkin being one of the 5 Best Players   HUH ??? he Did win the Scoring title a couple of seasons a go Didn’t He?? & Also won the Conn Smythe Trophy didn’t He ??& now the Bottom Feeders are picking it Up, Quite Frankly Matheson, Just Mentioned that IF it happened what Shero Could Get for him

Matheson isn’t much Better in My eyes!! He is writing a “Rumors” column every Sunday, So he has to fill it up with something

Posted by Evilpens on 05/16/10 at 01:36 PM ET

Greg's avatar

How about let Gonchar go, use some of his $5mill and get a decent 1st-2nd line winger.  Then pray that Letang and Goligoski keep improving, and Despres is progressing well…that should make up for his loss on PP.

Then move Malkin to Sids wing full time since he sucks on faceoffs anyway…

Staal can then center the 2nd line with a few offensive guys…

Posted by Greg on 05/16/10 at 01:37 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Good Lord, WTF don’t you Understand about Geno being a CENTER Sid & Geno are Both Better with the Puck than without it!! SO unless the Other teams agree to play with 2 Pucks you Limit Both guys abilities

Staal isn’t very good at faceoffs either Lets move him to Sid’s other wing OK oh oh

Posted by Evilpens on 05/16/10 at 01:46 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

This is exactly what I knew would Happen The KOOL-AID drinkers are now parroting the Media morons, Geno had a “FOR HIM” Bad season & Playoffs , So lets trade Him, Hey Sid didn’t exactly play well in the 2nd round either lets trade Him, & Damn MAF was HORRIBLE all Playoffs except for 1 Game, Lets Trade Him too

Posted by Evilpens on 05/16/10 at 01:49 PM ET

Moq's avatar

There are other solutions, and I would probably prefer to pair Malkin with Staal (mostly for defensive responsibility reasons), but Greg’s plan is superior to trading Malkin. Then again, most plans would be a better alternative to that scenario.

And, Evilpens, I think you could put all your substanse into one comment.  wink

Posted by Moq from Denmark on 05/16/10 at 01:58 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

And, Evilpens, I think you could put all your substanse into one comment

Sorry Moq I thought of that after I had posted my 1st comment

& Geno was a Better Player all Around than Staal was now 2 Season ago that is why he was up for the MVP & why He won The Conn Smythe Trophy, Stop the KOOL -AID drinking!!, Was Geno good this season all around ?? NO, was He good Defensively this Season ?? NO BUT you Don’t move him to anyone’s wing

Posted by Evilpens on 05/16/10 at 02:02 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Having a center play on a Wing if you can afford it is always nice.  I’ve thought quite a few times this year that Malkin might do better on a wing full-time.  While some people have stretched so far to say that Malkin is defensively below average, I won’t say that much, but I will say that his defensive game is behind Crosby’s and Staal’s and that making him Crosby’s winger would help limit the impact of the two areas of his game which are considered his weaknesses, faceoffs and defensive zone play.

Let Malkin cherry-pick just a little bit more and have Crosby hit him with outlet passes all day.  Any big forward who’s willing to take punishment in front of the net with those two should become a 15-25 goal guy, just on picking up rebounds.

Then, you have to get a decent offensive threat for Staal on the 2nd line.  Staal has pretty good production, but it seems like he has a problem finishing.

I’ll leave it up to people more familiar with the Pens to tell me who that would make their 3rd-line center.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 05/16/10 at 02:11 PM ET

NO BUT you Don’t move him to anyone’s wing

OK, realistically then, if you don’t trade Malkin and you don’t move him to Sid’s or Staal’s wing, and you don’t move Staal to Sid’s or Malkin’s wing, then how do you solve the problem of neither Sid nor Malkin having high-enough-calibre wingers?

Posted by Garth on 05/16/10 at 02:11 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

As I have Stated Many Times !! Staal has to be traded, He is NOT worth 4 Mill a year as a 3rd Line Center & doesn’t Have the Finishing Skills to his game to Play wing

If traded Someone would Overpay for Him & Voila There would be your Wingers for Sid & Geno, Kunitz stays & plays on Sid’s Line & you Use Tangradi or Nick Johnson on the Other wing for Geno’s Line.

You Still Have Talbot, Letestu & Dustin Jeffrey in the Minors as Guys who can Play the 3rd Line Center

Posted by Evilpens on 05/16/10 at 02:39 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Good Lord there are People Pushing to Sign Matthew Lombardi & play him with Geno & Staal !! FACEPALM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Evilpens on 05/16/10 at 02:56 PM ET

How is a a teams best defensive player, a consistent 20-30 goal scorer, and all of that in his early 20’s not worth 4 million a year? Honestly, I’d rather have Staal at 4 million than Geno at 8.7. I’d prefer to keep them both, but if they’re going to trade one, make it Malkin. IMO it doesn’t matter anyway, I highly doubt they’ll be making any major moves this offseason.

Posted by Kstewy16 on 05/16/10 at 03:22 PM ET

Lindas1st's avatar

However, the Penguins are also a one-and-done title team.

Done. Done! Done?
It’s a little early in the careers of most of the core players to right their biography just yet.

Posted by Lindas1st from New England on 05/16/10 at 03:24 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Brilliance !! because he is a 3rd Line Center That can’t be anything more than that He isn’t a winger because he has the Hands of Venus De Milo

Good Lord Another Clueless KOOL-AID drinker

Posted by Evilpens on 05/16/10 at 03:31 PM ET

Moq's avatar

Trading Staal seems a little ridiculous with the recent Selke nomination, but I’ve read my share of eternal Staal critics to accept that nothing matters, Staal’s meagre $4 million is a giant obstacle to the future of the Penguins. Only another Cup would have postponed the nonsense for another few months. The truth is that neither Crosby, Malkin, or Staal needs to be traded anytime soon to ensure continued Pittsburgh success.

In modern hockey, the rigidity of center and wing roles are less pronounced. If the players know their roles offensively and defensively it’s not that important who’s the nominal center. Malkin occasionally as wing on a line centered by Staal will not deprive him of puck contact in the offensive zone, and it’ll help a lot defensively. Whether it could be a permanent solution is an interesting question. I assume that the three-center model will continue to be the desired solution, even with substandard wingers, but they did experiment a little this season without disastrous results. I wouldn’t object to giving the Malkin-Staal line a few extra looks. We wouldn’t be the first team to pool assets. Especially in a salary cap world where you can’t have everything.

I wouldn’t have a problem with Matthew Lombardi. Good wheels and attitude, and not completely inept with the right linemates.

Posted by Moq from Denmark on 05/16/10 at 03:39 PM ET

Lindas1st's avatar

BTW, Malkin today @ the IIHF World Championships: 1-2-3,+2. Just Sayin’.

Posted by Lindas1st from New England on 05/16/10 at 03:40 PM ET

Moq's avatar

BTW, Malkin today @ the IIHF World Championships: 1-2-3,+2. Just Sayin’.

Don’t remind me, they played against Denmark. Datsyuk had a hat-trick (thanks for tanking, Detrot!).

Posted by Moq from Denmark on 05/16/10 at 03:48 PM ET

BTW, Malkin today @ the IIHF World Championships: 1-2-3,+2. Just Sayin’.

And playing on the wing with Datsyuk (hattrick) at center and Kovalchuk on the other wing.

Posted by murphy from Slovakia on 05/16/10 at 04:04 PM ET

Flashtastick56's avatar

Good Lord Another Clueless KOOL-AID drinker

Seriously?  God forbid someone has a differing opinion from the almighty Evilpens.  Christ you’re annoying sometimes (all the time?).

Jordan Staal is absolutely worth the $4 million they’re paying him.  He’s probably worth more.  He’s getting 3rd-liner minutes…and STILL putting up 20+ goals and 40+ points on a consistent (3 out of 4 years) basis.  He’s THEE best penalty killing forward in the league.  I don’t think anyone could sway me from thinking otherwise.  He’s a Selke Trophy nominee this year…and he’ll probably win it sometime soon.

If the Pens hadn’t locked him up before he was a FA, he’d have gotten more on the open market.  $4 million for Jordan Staal might not be a “bargain”, but it’s pretty damn close to one.

He’s 21 years old.  How in the hell can you write him off as never being able to be any better than what he is now…already?  Ridiculous.

And I’ll take a guy who had played more than 300 games in a row and has 84 goals as a 21 year old than a LOT of other players in the league - including just about any $4 million winger you can come up with.

I’m with JJ on this one.  If ANYTHING, they should put Geno on Sid’s wing.  That would silence the “Sid needs a winger” crowd and eliminate Malkin’s faceoff deficiencies and/or any defensive liabilities (which…what the hell happened there?  I thought he was really good defensively last year…).  You move Staal up to the 2nd line and THEN you see what he can really do getting that type of playing time.  My prediction?  He’d become a 30 goal/60 point guy.

The dude is a beast.  He plays hard all the time.  Perennial 3rd line 20-25 goal scorer.  Best PK forward in the league.  If that isn’t worth $4 mil a year, I don’t know what is.

Posted by Flashtastick56 from Meriden, CT on 05/16/10 at 04:25 PM ET

edillac's avatar

I always thought that Malkin could be an exellent winger,he is too good of a shooter for a center,have Staal center 2nd line and switch Malking between 1st and 2nd line,depending on opponents or importance of the games,...
maybe not signing Gonchar and some forward- if possible,get in a solid defensive defenseman and a top six winger,and you’re set

Posted by edillac from isolation on 05/16/10 at 05:02 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

because Genius his hands & Shot aren’t Going to get any Better !! I just love the “He’ll Grow into His Body” Mindset !

Like He had this INCREDIBLE growth Spurt where he went from a Munchkin to a To his size in a year !! he has always been big !!

& your Pissed because you’re one of the Staal KOOL-AID drinkers !! I Love the Prove he we never be anything more than he is now argument, Wait I’ll get in my time Machine & go ahead in time & then I’ll come back & tell you what he becomes OK? rolleyes

Posted by Evilpens on 05/16/10 at 05:37 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

The question isn’t really what Jordan Staal would be but what he’s worth.

Evilpens, how much should it cost for a center who’s good for 20+ goals / 50+ points consistently with third line even-strength minutes who will lead your penalty kill and be a perennial Selke Trophy competitor?

Joe Pavelski, the 7th round pick is probably going to get around that much when he goes on the open market and I think Staal is more valuable than Pavelski.

So who do you think is out there for a scoring winger that you think a team will give up in favor of Staal?  Who around the league is he worth? You hinted that maybe they could get two scoring wingers for him…  are there two wingers out there (or, more realistically, a Winger, a prospect, and a decent pick) that you can think of that he’d go for?

What would this immediate winger have to bring to be worth it?  I’m assuming he’s going to get top line minutes, but probably won’t be as defensively good.  So is he going to have to be a 40-goal scorer and 70-80 point guy to make up for what you’re giving up in Staal?  That’s cool, but who can do that for around Staal’s $4M per year?

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 05/16/10 at 05:50 PM ET

Lindas1st's avatar

Who around the league is he worth?

No matter if they trade Malkin or Staal the Pens will end up on the short end of the deal.

Posted by Lindas1st from New England on 05/16/10 at 05:56 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

You CAN NOT Pay your 3rd Line Center 4 Mill a Year when you are already Paying Sid & Geno a combined 17.4 mill, That is 21.4 mill a year at 1 position, You could Have them all when the were under their Rookie Contracts, Now you can’t ! or you end up with Guerin, Kunitz, Fedostinko & Dupuis as top 2 line wingers & NONE of those guys are LEGIT top 2 Line wingers

Posted by Evilpens on 05/16/10 at 06:00 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

You mean as opposed to Sid & Geno having to put up with 3rd Line Wingers now short end of the deal ?

Posted by Evilpens on 05/16/10 at 06:09 PM ET

Lindas1st's avatar

Evil,
What first line winger can they get to pair with Sid that will add up to a better combo than the 3 first line ceters with third line wingers they currently employ?

Posted by Lindas1st from New England on 05/16/10 at 06:16 PM ET

Moq's avatar

Well, Malkin as wing means that Staal will be a dirt cheap second line center, not to mention facilitate a dramatic increase in winger quality. Problem solved.

Posted by Moq from Denmark on 05/16/10 at 06:17 PM ET

Lindas1st's avatar

I like this idea better. They basically play all the PP togetther, try a season (a whole season) with Malkin on Sid’s wing.

Posted by Lindas1st from New England on 05/16/10 at 06:22 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

I’m Not Ray Shero & I don’t Know who is available, BUT did you Not watch what Montreal did?? Neutralize Sid & Geno the Best you can & make everyone else beat you !

Tangradi isn’t going to be any better than What they had this year & their are no Wingers in FA in The Pens price range

They don’t have a LEGIT top 2 Line Winger on the Team !! The Pens are Like a Pitcher with a 98 MPH fastball , But can’t get anything else Over, Sooner or Later Hitters catch up to that Fastball & crush it

I don’t want to trade Staal, I am Not part of the Staal SUCKS crowd. It is reality Though Geno or Staal or going to have to be traded & what teams can Absorb a 8.7 Mill a year hit to their Salary Cap & also Trade what the Pens need ?? That Moron from The Hockey News Said The 1st Pick, Magnus Paarjaarvi-Svenson & Sheldon Souray ?? Souray @ 5.4 Mill a year for the Next 2 seasons ??? UMMM No thanks The Don’t need a Slightly Younger Gonchar!! & that is what Souray is He is a Train wreck Defensively & a PP specialist

That’s the HUGE problem with trading Geno!! is that team is going to want/need the Pens to take Back a Big Salary

Posted by Evilpens on 05/16/10 at 06:26 PM ET

Lindas1st's avatar

That’s my point and that player won’t be as good as Malkin. That’s why I think what Moq wrote makes the most sense.

Posted by Lindas1st from New England on 05/16/10 at 06:35 PM ET