Kronwall Staying In Detroit

via TSN,

The Detroit Red Wings have agreed to terms with defenceman Niklas Kronwall on a seven-year contract extension worth an average of $4.75 million per season.

Kronwall, 30, was in the final season of a five-year contract and is one of nine Red Wings set to become unrestricted free agents next July.

The Red Wings selected Kronwall with the 29th overall pick in the 2000 NHL Entry Draft.

In 394 career NHL games, the native of Stockholm, Sweden has posted 35 goals and 148 assists with a plus-50 rating. Last season, he scored a career-high 11 goals.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Detroit Red Wings, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: niklas kronwall

Comments

mrfluffy's avatar

Wow. Great deal, nicely done by Tick Tock…considering what E 52 twisted out of him. Now settle the F down and play decent D.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 10/31/11 at 12:51 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Woah. Very nice. Still cheaper than Wisniewski.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 10/31/11 at 12:56 PM ET

awould's avatar

I figured he’d more than $5MM. Great deal. Hopefully this will settle him down so he can start not sucking this season and get back to being awesome.

Posted by awould on 10/31/11 at 01:16 PM ET

TheFreak's avatar

Excellent.

Posted by TheFreak on 10/31/11 at 01:21 PM ET

Itrusteddrrahmani's avatar

Any word on total payout or structure?

Posted by Itrusteddrrahmani from Nyc by way of A2 on 10/31/11 at 01:27 PM ET

Paul's avatar

via Darren Dreger tweets,

Kronwall breakdown yrs. 1) SB $1.25 + $3.25 mil. Years 2-4..$6 mil. Year 5) $5.5. Year 6) $3.5. Year 7) $1.75. Full NTC for 1st 5 yrs.

Kronwall also has limited no trade in final 2 years. He selects 10 teams he won’t go to. $33.25 million total deal.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 10/31/11 at 01:30 PM ET

awould's avatar

Kronwall breakdown

Seems very reasonable, though he probably has earned more than $3.25 in the first year. But $6MM for the next 3 years makes up for it.

Posted by awould on 10/31/11 at 01:34 PM ET

Itrusteddrrahmani's avatar

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 10/31/11 at 11:30 AM ET

Thanks Paul

Posted by Itrusteddrrahmani from Nyc by way of A2 on 10/31/11 at 01:37 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Very nice re-signing.  Kinda makes the Wisdoucheski and Ehrhoff deals look pretty bad in comparison.

Now, if Holland can only lock up Ericsson at a ridiculously high price for what he bri…

... oh, wait.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 10/31/11 at 02:05 PM ET

11B4PF7 in MN's avatar

What a relief; now KH just need to lock up Suart.

With the Wings waiving Brunstrum and KH track record of bringing former Wings back; when I saw the news that the Rangers placed avery on re entry waivers, I had a mild heart attack.  When I came through, I realized that if the wings lost ten in a row, they would still not be dumb enough to bring that train wreck back.

Posted by 11B4PF7 in MN on 10/31/11 at 02:44 PM ET

Joe Z.'s avatar

am I the only one who thinks that Lidstrom will play next season after seeing this contract details?

Posted by Joe Z. from Austria on 10/31/11 at 02:47 PM ET

awould's avatar

Posted by Joe Z. from Austria on 10/31/11 at 12:47 PM ET

You might be the only one. I don’t see him coming back. I think this season is the last the Red Wings will see of Holmstrom and Lidstrom, and possibly Bertuzzi.

Posted by awould on 10/31/11 at 02:50 PM ET

11B4PF7 in MN's avatar

Awould,

I feel the same way.  The funny thing is, it that happens all of the media outlets will still say that the Wings are old and slow—stupid media.

Posted by 11B4PF7 in MN on 10/31/11 at 02:57 PM ET

Great signing by the Wings? Now If we could land Shea Weber next season It would be complete thou I’m not holding my breath that they will!

Posted by Gary from Winter Haven, Florida on 10/31/11 at 03:00 PM ET

Joe Z.'s avatar

Posted by awould on 10/31/11 at 12:50 PM ET

no offense against white, I mean he fits nicely for the cap-hit, but he is not the skilled guy the wings need on the top pairing, like they had the last 20 years… So let’s say Kronwoll is one part of the duo, who is the other one if Lidström retires? Suter? Lilles? what will other teams offer them?

time will show anyway

Posted by Joe Z. from Austria on 10/31/11 at 03:13 PM ET

awould's avatar

Guys like Lidstrom and Rafalski don’t grow on trees. Heck, a guy like Lidstrom doesn’t grow on rare trees in the deep jungles of a distant planet. It’s a bit much to expect either to be magically replaced. And I don’t think Lidstrom will base his decision on what the Wings have or don’t have in way of filling that void - he’s past the point where anyone should expect him to consider the team anymore, he’s given more than enough.

White is about 10 games deep into his career with the Red Wings. I expect he’ll improve as he gets acclimated to their system, gets more comfortable with his linemates and learns what is expected. Will he be Rafalski? Probably not, but I think he’ll be a great player for Detroit long-term.

Kronwall will never be Lidstrom either, but he will be great. As for the rest, many expect B. Smith to become the next great Wings defenseman. That will take a couple/few years before he grows up. In the meantime, I think they’ll make a good run at a FA defenseman either pre-trade deadline or FA. Suter would be great.

Posted by awould on 10/31/11 at 03:21 PM ET

Yup White Is no Weber or Suter? Should be Interesting to see what happens down the road! I believe this will be Nicks last season with the Wings. He will retire after this season where the Wings will go from there as a replacement remains to be seen! Like I stated It would be nice If we could land Shea Weber he would be the closet to a Nick Lidstrom Clone out there but he will command more than Kenny Holland would be willing to pay there’s no way he will make more than Dats or Zetterberg bottom line he would would ask for more!

Posted by Gary from Winter Haven, Florida on 10/31/11 at 03:21 PM ET

squirrely's avatar

Maybe Weber would take less to play on a team that can actually win in the playoffs, just a guess.

Posted by squirrely from Dirty Jersey on 10/31/11 at 03:45 PM ET

Yeah I was thinking the same thing It seems that players are willing to take less to play In Detroit with their rich history and all like I said only time will tell? If Shea Weber or even Suter would play here both would be great assests to the organization!

Posted by Gary from Winter Haven, Florida on 10/31/11 at 03:54 PM ET

Primis's avatar

I can’t say I’m all ga-ga about this signing.  Kronwall hasn’t been impressive lately.  We’ll see…

Posted by Primis on 10/31/11 at 04:02 PM ET

John W.'s avatar

Regardless of what he’s done so far this year, Kronner would have gotten $6M+ on the open market next summer, so this is a great deal and still leaves every possible door open at the deadline and next summer.  If Kenny is half as good as we all think he his, the Wings should be loaded next season (possibly even this season after the deadline) with the money they have to spend assuming Lidstrom retires.  I’m still looking at a Suter-Parise signing/trading…

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 10/31/11 at 04:18 PM ET

awould's avatar

I’m still looking at a Suter-Parise signing/trading…

I two big signing like that will put the Wings in the position the Blackhawks are in. Great core with little support on the 3rd/4th lines. Does not bode well for playoff success.

Posted by awould on 10/31/11 at 04:21 PM ET

A Suter and Parise signing would be awesome I could live with that move?

Posted by Gary from Winter Haven, Florida on 10/31/11 at 04:26 PM ET

Posted by Primis on 10/31/11 at 02:02 PM ET

Well certainly they should base their signings on a 9-game sample size instead of a career, right PSH?

Posted by Garth on 10/31/11 at 04:39 PM ET

Great core with little support on the 3rd/4th lines.

I don’t know, if Lidstrom, Holmstrom, Bertuzzi and Hudler say goodbye at the end of the year there’d be a lot of money to play with…

Posted by Garth on 10/31/11 at 04:41 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

What a great signing.  Just another Wing taking less money to be part of the greatest show on ice.  I’m glad its a tradition that is looking to continue after Lidstrom retires.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 10/31/11 at 04:48 PM ET

awould's avatar

Posted by Garth on 10/31/11 at 02:41 PM ET

There will definitely be money to spend, but they have to consider the future money they’ll have to spend to keep the younger guys when they have new contracts. Either way, it will be interesting to see how it all unfolds because this season and next is by far the most money KH has had to spend since the lockout.

Posted by awould on 10/31/11 at 04:52 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Kronwall staying, Brunnstrom clears waivers, Nyquist called up and likely to play in the top six…

I’m really looking forward to tomorrow.  I have a good feeling.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 10/31/11 at 05:00 PM ET

John W.'s avatar

Posted by Garth on 10/31/11 at 02:41 PM ET

Exactly, I went thru the numbers in an earlier post (can’t find it yet, the ‘show all posts from this member’ feature isn’t working) but even with giving everyone a raise next year who will be coming back (Helm, Abby, Kronner (who I think I had making more than he got), Stuart etc) we still had enough to sign 2 star players and be plenty deep.

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 10/31/11 at 05:19 PM ET

Posted by awould on 10/31/11 at 02:52 PM ET

No doubt, I’m mostly living in a fantasy world, I know that…

Posted by Garth on 10/31/11 at 05:25 PM ET

awould's avatar

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 10/31/11 at 03:00 PM ET

I can’t wait to see Nyquist on the team full time.

Posted by awould on 10/31/11 at 05:30 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

I’m really looking forward to tomorrow.  I have a good feeling.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 10/31/11 at 03:00 PM ET

Yes!  And it’s nice to have things to feel good about right now.

cool smile

Posted by MsRedWinger from the State where Tigers roam in the Spring on 10/31/11 at 06:02 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

that’s bizzarre, I was just bitching last night about not understanding why they weren’t bringing in offensive Nyquist who’s a natural sniper and see what he can do with players on his skill level.. can’t hurt at this point and might bring some creativity.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 10/31/11 at 06:32 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Could you perchance spend all night bitching about how they don’t win games on Tuesdays 10-0?

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 10/31/11 at 06:40 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

I have a good feeling.

Yeah, we… err… they might actually score?

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 10/31/11 at 06:41 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Yeah, we… err… they might actually score?

You had it right the first time.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 10/31/11 at 07:18 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

That the chatter I’ve been seeing in non-wings blogs is nothing short of vitriolic on this deal has made a happy me.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 11/01/11 at 03:10 AM ET