It’s An All Crosby Night

NHL.com has 11 Sidney Crosby related stories or videos on their home page as of five minutes ago.

I can understand that but please NHL.com, do remember there are other players in the league who are having great seasons but not getting the proper attention.

Don’t put all your eggs in one basket!

See a screenshot of NHL.com below…

image

Filed in: NHL Teams, Pittsburgh Penguins, NHL Talk, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: sidney+crosby

Comments

1 2 3 >       Next »

WingMan's avatar

You will have to explain to me how this is a bad thing?

Arguably best player in NHL making a return to the game…  yea, no need to mention that.

It’s not like it is the same guy tweeting this stuff.  I am sure you must know Paul that NHL.com has many many contributors and their articles are not filtered by content.

Wow, Wing fans need to move on… it was like 3 years ago… lol

Posted by WingMan from The Q C on 11/21/11 at 02:28 AM ET

...with 11 articles/videos? Yeah, this guy hasn’t been stroked enough.

Wow, Wing fans need to move on… it was like 3 years ago… lol

4 Cups in 11 seasons. Not to beat a dead horse or anything but…that’s sooo fu*king impressive. But yeah…that one year…

Posted by godblender on 11/21/11 at 03:35 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Wingman, you make it sound as if there is just a mention of Crosby.

The home page of NHL.com is strictly controlled byt NHL.com editors.

I just feel it is too much and believe me, it will be even worse tomorrow.  Just wait.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 11/21/11 at 03:58 AM ET

Forlorn in VA's avatar

There were 4 games yesterday, and yet 2 of the 5 rotating “main stories” were “Sid Returns” and “Crosby Returns”.  Really?  Why is that necessary?  One of the two would be fine, and allow them to cover ALL FOUR GAMES.

I understand that Crosby returning is news, but it is not the ONLY news in the NHL, and I think that the editors of the NHL front page really dropped the ball by not including the Vancouver/Ottawa game in the rotating headlines.

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 11/21/11 at 08:51 AM ET

Right back at it ehh Paul?

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 11/21/11 at 09:22 AM ET

You will have to explain to me how this is a bad thing?

Wow, Wing fans need to move on… it was like 3 years ago… lol

Posted by WingMan from The Q C on 11/21/11 at 12:28 AM ET

I’m pretty sure the NHL didn’t fall apart while he was gone, right? Oh and I don’t think the annoyance with the over the top Crosby-love that the NHL engages in is Red Wing fan exclusive. My guess is if you poll any large group of fans, over the age of twelve and not living in Pittsburgh, you’ll find a fair amount of disgust with the leagues over the top promotion of Mr. Crosby.

Posted by From The Hockey Wastelands from Cleveland on 11/21/11 at 09:26 AM ET

yzer19man's avatar

Paul, thanks for pointing this out. I guess we should allow Sid to have his day, but still this is pretty ridiculous.  I know I will be watching the game tonight, in hopes that Matt Martin will welcome Rosby back to the league (and this is especially likely since he leads the league in hits) although I don’t think he will get much playing time against the Pen’s top line. Maybe Hamonic or Comeau can do the honors. I sincerely wish Thid no harm, especially not another concussion, but you know what I mean…

Posted by yzer19man from Chicago, IL on 11/21/11 at 09:54 AM ET

You will have to explain to me how this is a bad thing?

You will have to explain to me how eleven articles on the front page is nothing more than “mentioning” something.

It would be one thing if it were a website that compiles hockey stories from all over the globe into one easily accessible page, and there were articles from all over, but this is ONE SITE doing it.

If you honestly don’t get that…

Posted by Garth on 11/21/11 at 10:05 AM ET

Evilpens's avatar

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAmbulance coming

Posted by Evilpens on 11/21/11 at 10:23 AM ET

The Red Wings are on a two game win streak.  They should have 11 articles pointing that out.  That’s a much bigger story than the best player/face of the league returning to the game after a 10+ month injury.

I will do something about this, Red Wings fans don’t feel they are getting enough respect.  I’m taking to the streets!!

Posted by tbassett on 11/21/11 at 10:30 AM ET

He will be back on IR before the first period is over.

Posted by Red Winger from work on 11/21/11 at 10:31 AM ET

Navarath's avatar

A cracked Egg at that!

I kind of hope he doesn’t regret waiting til next season when the soft pads start being used.

Posted by Navarath on 11/21/11 at 10:32 AM ET

Posted by tbassett on 11/21/11 at 08:30 AM ET

No, we feel the NHL’s man-crush on Sid is now a running joke. If you don’t believe me, then talk to the half-dozen very lukewarm hockey fans I was with this past weekend. One made a comment about how foolish the NHL looks in throwing all their eggs into the Crosby Basket. They find the NHL’s marketing strategy to be slightly below Neanderthal standards.

Crosby does very, very little to ignite interest in the mediocre and non-fan. His whiny personality no doubt is a big reason.

Posted by Red Winger from work on 11/21/11 at 10:35 AM ET

Guys I’ve started a new non-profit organization it’s called Red Wing Fans Are The Most Insecure, Fantastical, And Jealous Fan In All Of Sports or RWFATMIFAJFIAOS for short.  We want 11 stories about Pavel Datysuk and his progress in speaking the English language on NHL.com.

LET’S DO IT!!

Posted by tbassett on 11/21/11 at 10:46 AM ET

Primis's avatar

I won’t lie, I hope he gets blasted and has to sit out again.

Crosby is pretty much the worst thing to happen to the game in decades, and I’m sick of him.  The league really blew a great opportunity with him out, they could have broadened appeal to the casual fan.

Crosby does very, very little to ignite interest in the mediocre and non-fan.

Posted by Red Winger from work on 11/21/11 at 08:35 AM ET

This, a million times this.  Nonfans and casual sports fans routinely look at him and say “What’s the big deal?”.  He honestly does not put up impressive numbers compared to his peers (like Gretzky could).  He does not score highlight reel goals.  He does not dominate a game and take over.  They don’t get it either.

Maybe the league should try promoting someone ELSE?

Posted by Primis on 11/21/11 at 10:57 AM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Pavel Datysuk and his progress in speaking the English language on NHL.com.

How’s Malkin’s mastery of English progressing?
I will say it’s a good thing for the game to have a premier player return, but this is just a “tad” over the top. If you call that whining or a Wings fan being anti-Crosby…. you’re a fool.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 11/21/11 at 11:01 AM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

I was wondering how Marc Savard is doing?  I bet I’d find a ton of information on the NHL.com home page.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 11/21/11 at 11:07 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

If Penguins fans spent their time reading all the articles about Crosby’s return instead of fighting people who think it’s a bit much, we wouldn’t have an issue.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 11/21/11 at 11:11 AM ET

NHLJeff's avatar

Paul, I am as big a Crosby fan as you’ll find, but I do agree that 11 posts about him on the front page is overkill; however, I’m surprised to see you create a whole post about it considering it could only lead to bickering, which you tend to avoid and discourage.

Posted by NHLJeff from Pens fan in Denver on 11/21/11 at 11:13 AM ET

Wangs fans are the most pompous fans in all of sports, can’t even enjoy the greatest sport on earth without getting in a tiffy about their favorite team going on a short cold streak.

“This, a million times this.  Nonfans and casual sports fans routinely look at him and say “What’s the big deal?”.  He honestly does not put up impressive numbers compared to his peers (like Gretzky could).  He does not score highlight reel goals.  He DOES NOT DOMINATE A GAME AND TAKE OVER.”

25 game streaks aren’t nothing compared to the 5 season streak zetterberg and his buddy Lidstrom put up together, right?

best hockey player on earth.  not sure how anyone can really argue that.

not even sure how people complain crosby is cry-sby.  24/7 HBO you see him get not only hooked, but slashed across the face (i.e. helmet) by Green’s stick on a breakaway, no penalty.  would you complain about that non-call if you were in that position, devoting your life to the game you love so deeply? don’t fool yourself and fight the urge to disagree.

go on and sulk in your team’s glory, 11 years and 4 cups, bluh bluh bluh, just can’t accept your team won’t win a cup in at LEAST 15 years.  how bout them sharks and the playoffs?  HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

Posted by bob errey on 11/21/11 at 11:24 AM ET

NHLJeff's avatar

When did you start deleting so many comments?

Posted by NHLJeff from Pens fan in Denver on 11/21/11 at 11:25 AM ET

Krononymous's avatar

Don’t even think about watching NHL on the Fly if you want to keep your breakfast down.  We’re flashing babk to His greatest moments and the Pens have just been annointed the best team in the NHL as a result of the Second Coming.  And then the quote “The NHL will get it’s superstar back on the ice Monday night…The biggest star in the NHL…”.

I think I just threw up a little bit in my mouth.

Posted by Krononymous on 11/21/11 at 11:31 AM ET

Paul's avatar

When did you start deleting so many comments?

Posted by NHLJeff from Pens fan in Chicago, IL on 11/21/11 at 09:25 AM ET

What are you talking about, not one comment has been deleted.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 11/21/11 at 11:34 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Posted by NHLJeff from Pens fan in Chicago, IL on 11/21/11 at 09:13 AM ET

This really should not turn into a Detroit/Pittsburgh thing, it was not my intention.

All I want is for the NHL to understand there is more than one marketable player in the NHL.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 11/21/11 at 11:39 AM ET

You don’t have to be a Wings fan to gag at the thought of Crosby. And to all those comments about his personality, they are right on. He is completely unlikable!

Posted by timbits on 11/21/11 at 11:43 AM ET

NHLJeff's avatar

Primis, you have got to be kidding.  Type in his name on YouTube and I guarantee you will be refuted 100x over.  Yes, the NHL is going overkill with all of the hype, but there is no denying that he is, at the very least, a top 5 player in the game.  You guys are far too sensitive about it.

Posted by NHLJeff from Pens fan in Denver on 11/21/11 at 11:54 AM ET

If I was a Detroit fan I would know enough to stay off most major hockey sites/NHL Network today as there is only one thing they will be covering.  Once the game happens and tomorrow comes around it will be back to business as usual.

But when it comes to Sid logic just can’t come into play for a Red Wings fan.

Posted by tbassett on 11/21/11 at 11:55 AM ET

bezukov's avatar

I’d be a lot less disgusted with the Crosby crap if he had actually done something to distinguish himself above the rest of the leagues all-stars.  But what really pisses me off about Crosby is that he was anointed the second coming of Wayne Gretzky before he even played a game.

Sid is an outstanding player.  I make no bones about that.  I might hate his persona, but his production on the ice is undeniable.  However, what has Crosby done to distinguish himself from the leagues other all-stars, so much that he deserves 80% of the limelight over all the other players?  Kane and Toews/Datsyuk and Zetterberg have Stanley Cups too.  How about the Sedins and Ryan Kesler?  St. Louis and Stamkos?  Those are all great players as well, but they had might as well not exist if you watch the NHL’s national media.  This is what 90% of non-Pittsburgh hockey fans hate about Crosby, it has little to do with the ‘09 Cup, but keep on telling yourself that anyway.

To the Pens fans on this thread:  Why so defensive?  Anytime someone beefs over Sid you guys get all sensitive and upset… Anyway, you can rip Wings fans all you want, and I’ll go as far to say that some of the things you say about us are true.  But going on my count the most immature comments are coming from your end, so let me say thanks for having enough respect to have a serious conversation about it.  Introspection is the better part of observation…. have that near sightedness check out guys.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 11/21/11 at 11:58 AM ET

~ Says the cute blond girl in the corner, as she smiles and plays with her hair.

Paul, you stir the pot.  Playing coy, only makes it worse.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 11/21/11 at 12:09 PM ET

Paul, you stir the pot.  Playing coy, only makes it worse.

Did Paul mention the Wings?

Posted by Herm from the office on 11/21/11 at 12:12 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Paul, you stir the pot. Playing coy, only makes it worse.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 11/21/11 at 10:09 AM ET

If I wanted to stir the pot, I would have posted this blog while the Wings were playing and many Wings fans were commenting in an A2Y blog.

I waited on purpose for the game to complete and then even waited some more, just to make sure the Detroit fans were no longer hanging around.

When someone assumes I did something that I have not intention of doing, i will defend my stance.

You are wrong, now just move on.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 11/21/11 at 12:19 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

I hope Matt Cooke inadvertently knocks Crosby out tonight.

At least it will make NBC’s league mandated Crosby intermission reports more interesting on Friday.

Because we all know that, regardless of the teams that are actually playing the game that day, all that NBC will be talking about will be Crosby.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 11/21/11 at 12:24 PM ET

Perhaps your intention is to insult the intelligence of your readers by suggesting you have no disdain for the penguins or Crosby.  How many personal opinion threads have you posted this week?

Better yet, perhaps your intention is have have KK dedicated to only wing fans?

From this side of things, your intention is not so fuzzy.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 11/21/11 at 12:28 PM ET

Better yet, perhaps your intention is have have KK dedicated to only wing fans?

Again, when did Paul mention the Red Wings?

Posted by Herm from the office on 11/21/11 at 12:31 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

You know what’s at least as big a discussion point as Crosby’s return (which Penguins fans don’t really seem to want to discuss very much at all)?

The media coverage of Crosby’s return.

Crosby-watch has been a story since he missed game number one and it’s still a story.  This isn’t about him, it’s a discussion about the concept of how much coverage any one player deserves and how both the league and the media choose to carry on with it.

This story isn’t about Crosby’s return. If you want that, then Paul already put up that story.

So let’s try discussing this rationally, Penguins fans.  NHL.com is league-controlled.  What benefit is there of having two different Crosby-is-back stories on their main rotating page?

Does it bother you that his return has been so hyped?  Are you concerned that the huge amount of media attention is going to create undue pressure on Crosby or paint a target on him?

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 11/21/11 at 12:32 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

Better yet, perhaps your intention is have have KK dedicated to only wing fans?

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 11/21/11 at 10:28 AM ET

Yup.  That’s why he welcomed a bunch of bloggers over this past summer that write about teams that are not the Wings.

Like Paul said.  “You are wrong, now just move on.”

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 11/21/11 at 12:32 PM ET

I understand non-Pens fans frustrations on this, really do.

But it’s comments like “I guess we should allow Sid to have his day” that continue to irritate me.

Once again, it’s perceived as if Crosby, or even the Penguins are doing some sort of self-promotion towards his return.

When in reality, both Sid and the Penguins have done nothing but suppress any speculation as his return got closer.

Personally, I’ll be happy when tonight is out of the way and the Pens start their march towards another Cup….

Posted by Va Beach Pens Fan on 11/21/11 at 12:32 PM ET

No, it isn’t. Did you read the post?

Posted by Herm from the office on 11/21/11 at 12:34 PM ET

Forlorn in VA's avatar

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 11/21/11 at 10:28 AM ET

Only Penguin fans have gotten offended by Paul posting that he wished the NHL would remember that they have 29 other teams to promote.  Maybe because the fans of the 29 other teams AGREE with him?  Perhaps you should take a step back and try to look at it objectively.  Paul did not, in any of his posts in this thread, make any disparaging remarks about Crosby, or say that the Red Wings specifically are being treated unfairly, and yet you and several other Pen fans have attacked Red Wing fans and Paul.  I think that speaks volumes about you, and them.

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 11/21/11 at 12:39 PM ET

Here’s what I feel the top 5 NHL.COM’s headlines should be in order of importance:

- J. Franzen Can He Be Stopped?  Tied for 13 in the league in scoring
- Detroit Tearing Through the League, Winners of Two Straight
- Best Coach in the League, Babcock Explains How to Conduct Douche-Chill Inducing Interviews on a Regular Basis
- 2008 Stanley Cup Champs Discuss Their 2008 Summers With The Cup