Good Goal?

from NESN,

The Bruins season is over.

What the usually means is it’s time to start finger pointing, but not all fingers will be directed toward the B’s offense, defense, power play or bench—it will be at the officiating.

Joel Ward’s game-winning goal comes with some question marks as it appeared as though Mike Knuble made contact with Tim Thomas before and while the puck trickled into the net. Should the goal have been disallowed?

Here’s how Thomas saw it: “[Knuble] put it at the net backhanded, and his momentum continued into me. I’m not calling sour grapes, but it’s reality and it pushed me out of the way just enough to open up the net for Ward to put it in. I didn’t even see Ward put it in. I knew the rebound was going that way but I had guys, well my head was probably in about his stomach.”

continued with video…

Filed in: NHL Teams, Boston Bruins, Washington Capitals, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

I didn’t like it and thought it should have waived off. Thomas couldn’t have made a play on it. If that’s regular season and not playoffs in OT that doesn’t count.

That said I was rooting for the Caps so I didn’t mind the end result.

Posted by moocat on 04/26/12 at 01:04 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Why does the NHL have to be inconsistent with everything it does?  Can we just reinstitute the “no standing in the crease” rule?  I’m tired of seeing this grey area crap deciding games/series.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 04/26/12 at 01:17 PM ET

hockeychic's avatar

I was also rooting for the Caps and thought the goal was interference.  No way can Thomas make a play on that.  I can’t stand the Bruins but I also believe in fair play.

I was thinking if it was Holmstrom, it would have been waived off for sure.

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 04/26/12 at 01:28 PM ET

awould's avatar

I’ve seen less interference called many many times before. If it were the Red Wings, I would’ve been super pissed.

I’m surprised Thomas didn’t make a huge stink about it. From the way the Bruins reacted, they didn’t seem to think it was a penalty.

Posted by awould on 04/26/12 at 01:44 PM ET

Agreed. Julian is one of the biggest “I’m not whining, but….” coaches in the league. Surprised he didn’t lash out.

Posted by Chris M. from Ottawa on 04/26/12 at 01:58 PM ET

SolidTG7's avatar

After they let the second Ottawa goal count from the other night this is not at all surprising.

Posted by SolidTG7 on 04/26/12 at 02:15 PM ET

Tim Thomas whining? Maybe he’s just annoyed a visible minority scored on him.

Posted by Mike from Toronto on 04/26/12 at 02:23 PM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

ahh the good old inconsistent NHL. sigh…....

Posted by Rdwings28 on 04/26/12 at 02:56 PM ET

goon's avatar

Tim Thomas whining? Maybe he’s just annoyed a visible minority scored on him.  Mike from Toronto on

That’s a stupid comment. Thomas is for limited government and is not a racist.  Just pecause one is considered a conservative or a Tea Pary Member doesn’t make him a racist.

Posted by goon from Grand Forks, ND on 04/26/12 at 04:01 PM ET

phillyd's avatar

My gut reaction when it went in was they’re going to waive this off but they didn’t and Thomas and the rest of the Bruins didn’t really blow up about it. I don’t know, if that had been game 1, maybe, but game 7? I probably would’ve been jumping all over the ref on that non-call to the point linesman would’ve had to peel me off them.

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 04/26/12 at 04:10 PM ET

If the shoe fits…

Right, “limited government” like all that spending building an army to go to Iraq.

It’s because Obama is black. The sooner you realize that, the sooner you’ll understand why, when Bush was in power, the Tea Party members didn’t believe in what they argue for now.

Posted by Mike from Toronto on 04/26/12 at 05:12 PM ET

Was it goalie interference? Yeah, maybe, though I’ve seen worse. Should it have been called? Maybe. But it doesn’t make a difference. You start picking nits about this not getting called back, and then maybe you then have to look back at game 3, where the game winning call comes on an entry that should have been called offsides. Wave that goal off, and maybe the Caps get an OT goal to win in 5, instead of going to 7 games and there is no goalie interference at all to be had. And I’m sure that we can point to many missed opportunities for both sides in our wishful thinking that perhaps we might have a different outcome. And maybe we would have. But the fact of the matter is, that’s the way the puck rolls.

Posted by sca on 04/26/12 at 05:14 PM ET

Paul's avatar

This won’t turn into a political debate, please stay on topic.

Thanks.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/26/12 at 05:18 PM ET

I’m going to chime in on the"political” thing and ask mike a question.
Mike, have you any idea what the tea party is about? It doesn’t sound like it. Not throwing stones. I see you’re from toronto. Not part of the u.s. Tea party is anti-foreign military involvement. They are also called constitutionalists, meaning they don’t believe in the government going significantly beyond the constitution.

Posted by teldar on 04/26/12 at 06:13 PM ET

Paul's avatar

NO MORE POLITICS.  If you want to discuss, use the PM feature in your profile.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/26/12 at 06:17 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Kerry Fraser at TSN,

Mike Knuble was not pushed, shoved or fouled by a defending player so as to cause him to come into contact with Thomas. It matters not if the contact on Thomas by Knuble was deemed to be deliberate or incidental other than a minor penalty that might result. What matters most is that all the elements of rule 69.1 were violated and the goal should have been waved off.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/26/12 at 06:27 PM ET

tkfergy's avatar

should be no goal. Holmstrom does less and gets called all the time

Posted by tkfergy on 04/26/12 at 07:03 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Good goal? Good enough. It counted.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/26/12 at 07:08 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

If Holmstrom’s shadow was where Knuble’s body was, that goal gets waived off. I was surprised it counted, but not disappointed. Tim Thomas and the Bruins should apparently try to be more like Nashville (if you believe the hockey press).

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 04/26/12 at 10:33 PM ET