Everyone Wins In The Doughty Deal

from David Shoalts of the Globe and Mail,

On the face of it, Drew Doughty finally beat down the Los Angeles Kings, forcing them to accept his terms on a new contract.

But this is a win for the Kings just as it is for Doughty, 21, who agreed to an eight-year deal for an average of $7-million per year late Thursday night. The agreement ended a bitter standoff between Doughty and the Kings, which grew increasingly nasty in the last few weeks when the Kings refused to increase their offer beyond the $6.8-million per year centre Anze Kopitar, 24, is making. Doughty and his agent, Don Meehan, would not take less than $7-million a year.

By giving in to Doughty and Meehan, the Kings secured its most important player, who is already one of the league’s best defencemen, for the next eight years. It reassures a fragile fan base they are serious about winning.

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, Los Angeles Kings, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: drew+doughty

Comments

TheFreak's avatar

Yup…everybody wins. Including fans that want the $175 jersey and $75 ticket to their games. More like everyone “pays”.

Regardless, hope this soap opera ends now.

Posted by TheFreak on 09/30/11 at 01:35 PM ET

Luongo-is-my-hero's avatar

what a pre-Madonna.  Seriously, I wonder who some young players think they are after coming off of a massive 3 year entry level contract.  so selfish sometimes.  I swear.

Posted by Luongo-is-my-hero on 09/30/11 at 02:36 PM ET

what a pre-Madonna.

Prima donna.

Posted by Garth on 09/30/11 at 03:31 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Everyone wins

Except Doughty who didn’t want to sign for that many years.

And the Kings, who didn’t want to pay him that much.

In a weird way, by both sides having blinked, you really could say that everybody wins.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 09/30/11 at 03:47 PM ET

Luongo-is-my-hero's avatar

LOL, I have no idea how it came out as pre-madonna. The asian in me came out right there.

Posted by Luongo-is-my-hero on 09/30/11 at 04:07 PM ET

DocF's avatar

Those who think LA is a contender for the Cup need to rethink how much damage this pissing contest did to the team.  The Kings will have to work very hard and avoid injuries to win their division, let alone the western conference.  Doughty is now a spoiled commodity and will be questioned about every lapse in his game.  It takes at least 5 years at the NHL level to really learn how to play d.  He is still learning.  If I were the owner of LA, I would have fired Lombardi for getting into this mess.  He deserves to collect unemployment.

Doc

Posted by DocF from Now: Lynn Haven, FL; was Reidsville, NC on 09/30/11 at 04:50 PM ET

what a pre-Madonna

This is very funny! I think you had it right, if anyone is a pre-Madonna, Doughty fits the bill.

Posted by timbits on 09/30/11 at 07:35 PM ET