Dirty Players

from NESN Staff,

10. Tuomo Ruutu, Carolina: Believe it or not, Tuomo Ruutu is the cleaner of the Ruutu brothers, as Jarkko is usually the one to really step out of the bounds of decorum. But Tuomo can have his moments as well. He’s usually sly enough to get away with a lot of his antics, and is especially adept at crashing the net and bowling over goalies….

9. Alex Ovechkin, Washington: Ovechkin gets away with a lot as a star player in a league with a different set of rules for its stars, but not even the NHL could look away from everything Ovechkin did last season….

8. Patrick Kaleta, Buffalo: Kaleta always plays on the edge, which he needs to do to be effective as a checking forward for the Sabres. But he slips over that edge a little too often….

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Really NESN Staff?  Tuomo Ruuto got banned for three games for a viscous hit?

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 02/10/11 at 01:11 PM ET

Da lil Guy's avatar

Really? Tuomo Ruutu is one of the dirtiest 10 players in the league?

Marty Havlat has cleaned up his act a little, but I’m sure Hal Gill remembers being kicked in the crotch and Mark Recchi undoubtedly remembers being slashed in the face.

Colby Armstrong is at least arguable. Certainly comes to mind before T. Ruutu.

Diving Derek Roy probably has to rank up there, if one considers flopping on the ice in a light breeze ‘dirty’.

Posted by Da lil Guy from Guelph, Ontario on 02/10/11 at 01:16 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Well, at least they’re consistent, as they also charged Matt Cooke with having a thick consistency somewhere between liquid and solid.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 02/10/11 at 01:17 PM ET

Hank1974's avatar

I give the over/under at 30 seconds before gretzky_to_lemieux comes in here to whine about all the Cooke bashing.

I’ll get you all prepared:

Posted by Hank1974 on 02/10/11 at 02:44 PM ET

awould's avatar

Funny how an article that makes an outright declaration that Matt Cooke is the dirtiest player in the league hasn’t drawn the usual Penguin homers to defend him. I guess when it is spelled out so clearly, and compared to the other 9 d-bags in the league, it doesn’t leave a lot of room to wiggle. Besides, usually their defense of Cooke on any given dirty play is in the form of a lengthy explanation of the physics of the play with an emphasis on how fast the game is and why, given all that, it’s mostly the victims fault anyways for not having eyeballs in the back of his head. Or something. Oh, and didn’t anyone see how unfair that hit on Crosby was? So it all evens out.

Posted by awould on 02/10/11 at 03:03 PM ET

Are you guys kidding about Tuomo Ruutu shouldn’t be on there? He’s the same player as his brother, but with a great amount of hockey skill. When I watch him I see him pull the same moves, the slew-foots on goalies (and every other “accidental” move you can pull on a goalie), the trips behind the play, the wreckless hits.

I think he should easily be ahead of Ovechkin. I think Ovechkin’s dumber. Ruutu, like his brother, is ‘smart’ about it.

Posted by NathanBC on 02/10/11 at 03:16 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

I wholeheartedly agree Kaleta should be on that list. I watch a lot of Sabres games and am embarrassed for the team when he’s up to his usual tricks. Why is it that the goons are so often the fan favorites? HSBC is full of people wearing his jersey.

It makes me sad (come, Patsy).

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 02/10/11 at 03:28 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

And for good measure ...

LEAVE COOKIE ALONE!

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 02/10/11 at 03:30 PM ET

Glad to see NESN thinks the Western Conference is full of clean players.

Posted by mc keeper on 02/10/11 at 03:57 PM ET

awould's avatar

Glad to see NESN thinks the Western Conference is full of clean players.

ha. good point. it could be argued that pronger and avery started out in the west. pronger, certainly, carved out his dirty niche in St. Louis and Anaheim.

but really, what west conf. players would you suggest are more worthy of this list?

Posted by awould on 02/10/11 at 04:03 PM ET

Glad to see NESN thinks the Western Conference is full of clean players.
Posted by mc keeper on 02/10/11 at 12:57 PM ET

Haha, I didn’t notice that. East coast bias!

Posted by NathanBC on 02/10/11 at 04:03 PM ET

Posted by awould on 02/10/11 at 01:03 PM ET

Corey Perry, Jordin Tootoo, was Steve Ott on there?

Not many I could think of I guess. I’d put Tootoo in as #11.

Posted by NathanBC on 02/10/11 at 04:07 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

was Steve Ott on there?

I think he was #4.  Definitely on there though.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 02/10/11 at 04:11 PM ET

HockeyFanOhio's avatar

Glad to see they put Ovechkin on the list.  Can’t really argue with the top 3.  Is this supposed to be an Eastern Division only list?  I’m sure there are a couple more from the West that could be there.  Though I guess when you think of bruising hockey you do think of more Eastern teams.

Posted by HockeyFanOhio from Central Ohio on 02/10/11 at 04:28 PM ET

Hank1974's avatar

Glad to see NESN thinks the Western Conference is full of clean players.

You’d have to pay attention to the other conference to know who plays there.

Off the top of my head:

Perry, Ott, Burrows, Kostopolous, Tootoo and some might even say Kronwall.

Posted by Hank1974 on 02/10/11 at 04:41 PM ET

Perry, Ott, Burrows, Kostopolous, Tootoo and some might even say Kronwall.
Posted by Hank1974 on 02/10/11 at 01:41 PM ET

If you put Kostopolous in, I would add Kronwall just to make it even.

Burrows I think has cleaned up a bit, like Kesler. When he pitchforked Marc Staal’s nuts earlier this season he admitted after the game how dumb it was, and that those things can’t be done, he just reacted without thinking. So I think he’s going in the right direction.

Posted by NathanBC on 02/10/11 at 04:57 PM ET

awould's avatar

I would agree with Tootoo wholeheartedly; he is super dirty. Burrows is dirty but not “top-ten dirty”. Perry is sort of dirty but he’s more of that puss that likes to talk smack and then run and hide behind his team. He rarely removes his helmet if he does get stuck in a fight. I don’t think Kronwall is dirty. I know everyone will say I’m a Wings fan so biased and maybe that’s true. But I really don’t think he’s dirty, mainly because I never see any intent to injure or overtly dirty plays. Sometimes his hits are late or a bit high, but not like he targets guys. Pronger stomps on legs and Cooke goes for headshots. Big difference IMO.

Posted by awould on 02/10/11 at 05:12 PM ET

awould's avatar

Also, you could include most of the Calgary Flames just as a team.

Posted by awould on 02/10/11 at 05:13 PM ET

Having Avery on the list just took away all credibility from the list. Avery may be hated by his peers, but it’s for his trash talking not for his dirty play. You list the Smid incident and that immediately sky rockets him to #2 on the list? I agree that was a cheap shot, but there are still many that didn’t even think that play was cheap. He certainly has a reputation for being disliked, but I’ve never heard players say that Avery intentionally tried to injure them.

Burrows speared Staal in the nuts 3 weeks ago, does that automatically mean he’s a dirty player? I don’t think so. One play doesn’t make someone a dirty player.

I think Kaleta should be A LOT higher. I’d say that if Cooke is #1A then Kaleta is #1B

There’s a huge difference between trash talking and trying to injure someone. Sticks & stones may break your bones but names will never hurt you wink

Posted by Puckcentral.net on 02/10/11 at 05:29 PM ET

Posted by Puckcentral.net on 02/10/11 at 02:29 PM ET

Burrows had been a rat before he got moved to the Sedin line, then he became a 30 goal scoring rat, and he’s more of a straight ahead player now.

I pointed out that incident to show that he’s aware, and is reforming his play. Ever see him skate near a goalie? Used to be Matt Cooke-like in that area. Ever see him behind the lay, out of view of the camera? Used to be more Matt Cooke-like in that area.

Posted by NathanBC on 02/10/11 at 05:35 PM ET

awould's avatar

I agree about Avery. Hard to defend the guy, but he’s not as dirty as most of the guys on the list. I don’t follow East Conf or Buffalo but this Kaleta guy intrigues me now…..

Posted by awould on 02/10/11 at 05:49 PM ET

Jovanowski is a good bet from the West and throw in Phanuef from the East to trade Defensemen. Both have never seen a blindside hit or elbow they woulnd’t be willing to drop. Tootoo was a good pick up from the West as well. Throw in Shelley and CArcillo in case they were missed as well, but then I’d be picking on the wrong team from Pennsylvania and they are already repped by Pronger.

Avery is a hard one to figure, he has done enough to merit inclusion on the list, but not top three. He’s number one in the jackass category by a landslide, but dirty to me implies more of an intent to injure and he slides down the list for me as well.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 02/10/11 at 06:33 PM ET

Jovanowski
Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 02/10/11 at 03:33 PM ET

Jovanovski. It’s also pronounced with a “v.”

Posted by NathanBC on 02/10/11 at 06:56 PM ET

Avery’s too high. Not even sure if he belongs at all. Most hated does not necessarily mean most dirty. If that one incident with Smid is enough to make this list, Doan should be there, Lucic should be there, Scott Walker should be there, etc. etc.

And Jarkko Ruutu’s another guy like Avery who spends much more time making a fool out of himself than trying to hurt people. Elbowing another guy on this list shouldn’t necessarily be seen as a bad thing. Far as I know, the only guy Jarkko Ruutu hurt on a marginal hit was Jagr and that was years ago. I know I’d certainly feel less safe on the ice with Carcillo out there than Ruutu, even though I’d be madder at Ruutu.

Chris Niel should be on there as well, probably near the top. And possibly Perry.

Posted by StevieSteve on 02/10/11 at 07:13 PM ET

It’s NESN people… The same glorious network that brings us the “dirtiest” announcer in Wack Edwards.  That douchenoggle should be banned from every hockey rink in North America, Europe and Russia… According to Edwards, Randy Jones is pure evil.

What an amazingly flawed list….  There is nothing else to say.

Posted by Unicorn Force from DC (but like everyone here, I'm not a local) on 02/10/11 at 11:25 PM ET

K24's avatar

I agree about Avery…they use his suspension from the Kings and “sloppy seconds” as their proof that he’s a dirty player.  Those have nothing to do with being a dirty player!

Posted by K24 from NYC on 02/11/11 at 01:23 AM ET