Datsyuk Out With Hand/Wrist Injury UPDATE Broken Hand For Datsyuk

via Ansar Khan of Mlive,

Detroit Red Wings forward Pavel Datsyuk appeared to injure his right hand or wrist after tripping over former teammate Mikael Samuelsson in front of the Vancouver net with about 1:30 to play in the first period.

He landed awkwardly on his hand.

The team said he will not return to the game and gave no further details. Datsyuk likely was taken for X-rays.

added 10:25pm, via Elliotte Friedman tweet,

Babcock says Datsyuk broken hand 4 weeks

added 10:31pm, video of the Datsyuk injury below…

added 10:53pm, from Bill Roose of RedWings.com,

“He’s got a broken hand or wrist, or something like that,” Red Wings coach Mike Babcock said. “He’ll be out about four weeks.”

Filed in: NHL Teams, Detroit Red Wings, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: pavel+datsyuk

Comments

Osrt's avatar

Fuching Sammy. Forsure, fuch Sammy, forsure.

Posted by Osrt on 12/23/10 at 01:19 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

DAMMIT!!! If I ever meet that swede, he’s in for a massive ballcrush. I have tickets for NYE and was hoping to watch Datsyuk do his magic in person.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 12/23/10 at 01:28 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

Babcock at least said to the media (per WXYT and Jeff Riger) that it was a clean break, no surgery required, the hand specialist simply said he’d be in a cast for four weeks.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 12/23/10 at 01:34 AM ET

Babcock says Datsyuk broken hand 4 weeks.

I’m gonna puke.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 12/23/10 at 01:38 AM ET

UMFan's avatar

If I had broken my hand I’d be in a fetal position screaming bloody murder, yet Pav winces a bit and skates to the bench. Its a shame as he is having one hell of a year.

Posted by UMFan from Denver, Colorado on 12/23/10 at 01:45 AM ET

Nate A's avatar

Crap. I’m going to miss giggling at the stuff he pulls every game.

Maybe this will get Franzen to step up at least?

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 12/23/10 at 01:53 AM ET

Tony's avatar

That sux fellas, never want to see anyone get hurt….

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 12/23/10 at 02:08 AM ET

Primis's avatar

And there goes any hope of the Hart for him.

Posted by Primis on 12/23/10 at 02:13 AM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Here’s hoping Happy steps up.

*#$%@& Samuelsson.  Nice skate grab, bitch.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 12/23/10 at 02:46 AM ET

I’ve done that a few times. After the initial pain (and the disgusting snap sound) it just throbs. It’s really not that bad. It’s more annoying that you lose movement after a little bit. If it’s a clean break, he won’t be out more than a month.

However, I can’t imagine the agony Kurtis Foster went through, breaking a femur. Not cleanly, either.

Posted by StevieSteve on 12/23/10 at 05:30 AM ET

Alzy's avatar

The first thing that popped into my head when I saw it on DVR, was imagining Uncle Mike as Fat Tony from the Simpsons, addressing the team with:

“I want him DEAD.
I want his family, DEAD.
I want his dog, DEAD!”

Please please please heal fast Dangle, because I shudder to think how the Wings are going to play now.

But to use our Uncle’s line of thinking in that “this injury is someone else’s opportunity,” I’d like to see Tatar called up from GR. Give him a chance to play with maybe guys like Happy and Wally, and see what he can do. Or give Big Brother Fil a look.

Posted by Alzy from Cambridge, Ontario, Canada on 12/23/10 at 07:17 AM ET

Baroque's avatar

Stupid tripping Sammy Horseface. mad

I miss seeing Datsyuk in the lineup. #boo

Posted by Baroque from Michigan on 12/23/10 at 10:11 AM ET

MarkK's avatar

I want his house burned to the GROUND.  I want to go there in the middle of the night and I want to piss on his ashes?

Lots of time to rest up and he’ll still lead the league in takeaways come April.

Posted by MarkK from Maryland on 12/23/10 at 11:10 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

Fuch you Jobu!

I mostly feel bad for Pav, he was having a great season, getting the most pub he’s ever had, and it finally looked like he might be able to inch past the 90 point mark into 100.

The tough thing is the schedule is so dense while he’s out—seems likely he’ll miss 15 or 16 games, whereas if this had happened earlier in the season like Rafalski’s injury, he’d hardly miss any time.

If I try to find a silver lining, it would be that this team still has a ton of talent, and they had not been playing anywhere near what they are capable of the last few weeks. Maybe the injury to Pav will wake the team up, and they’ll tighten up the D and cut down on turnovers, which is something they need to do in the long run anyways.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 12/23/10 at 12:11 PM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

I bet Datsuyk could play better with one hand than half the centers in the league

Posted by Rdwings28 on 12/23/10 at 12:24 PM ET

Da lil Guy's avatar

Merry Christmas to my hockey pool

Posted by Da lil Guy from Guelph, Ontario on 12/23/10 at 12:25 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

I’m with you Nathan. Could be a team motivator. As to a call up, I would expect Mursak to be first in line, since his game is more complete than Tatar.  But I doubt Babcock is thinking about that now.

Posted by MoreShoot on 12/23/10 at 12:32 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Well, all that depth we’ve been hearing about: now it’s your time to shine.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 12/23/10 at 12:33 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

They don’t really have to call anyone up at this point, do they? Drapes slots right in and they meet the minimum roster requirements that way.

I don’t see any reason to call up Tatar, Elder Flip, or Mursak to sit in the press box. I think they want all three of those guys getting minutes.

The only reason it would make sense to call up one of those three is if you really wanted to play one of them 10 minutes a night for a couple weeks to see what you have. But then you are forcing Miller/Draper/Hudler back into rotating again, which is one thing to stomach when the team is healthy, but is probably a hard pill for those guys to swallow if they are rotating in favor of giving a full-time slot to a prospect.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 12/23/10 at 01:15 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

If they do call someone up, and you believe what McNamara has said, it sounds like I. Filppula may actually be the guy to get the call. I would think that if they do call someone up, being that Filppula is older and has played professionally longer than the other guys, they’d be more comfortable rotating him or putting him in the press box.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 12/23/10 at 01:17 PM ET

hockeychic's avatar

NO!!!!!  I’m so upset about this.

I have tickets (and good ones too) to see the Wings on Monday night.  I was so looking forward to watching Pavel work his magic.

Thanks a lot, Sammy.

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 12/23/10 at 01:47 PM ET

Maybe the injury to Pav will wake the team up

I’m thinking that, too.  Not so good for Pav, obviously, but this might be one of the best things for the rest of the team.  They have the talent and stepping it up for a month is much more doable than for twice that long.

Posted by BobTheZee on 12/23/10 at 03:18 PM ET

Does this mean he’ll miss the All-star game and get an additional two game suspension?

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 12/23/10 at 03:23 PM ET

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 12/23/10 at 12:23 PM ET

Hilarious, given that the Gary.ASSG is on January 30th.  Gives Gary.Ass plenty of incentive to screw over the Wings yet again with his new rules-on-the-fly BS.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 12/23/10 at 03:47 PM ET