Crosby gets scrappy

Updated at 1:07 AM on Sunday, November 27th: Per the Canadian Press, Sidney Crosby took some flak for engaging in a little tussle with Ottawa Senators forward Nick Foligno on Friday night:

Crosby mixed it up with Ottawa’s Nick Foligno early in the third period, the start of a brief dust-up in which Crosby and Foligno exchanged cross-checks, before the Penguins star elbowed Foligno in the head. Both players earned minor penalties—Crosby for elbowing, Foligno for roughing—and Foligno took exception with Crosby hitting him up high to clear space in front of goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury.

“It’s not a big deal, but it is something that he preached all summer about that we should limit that and then he goes and does it, so I was just a little disappointed,” Foligno said. “But, you know, that’s a small part of the game and it’s over now.”

TSN posted a pair of videos of the incident, but given the level of mania surrounding his return, I’m surprised that this is the only YouTube clip I could find:

Even as one of those over-critical Red Wings fans…I’ve seen worse…

Update: I’m not gonna make a new post for this, but here’s what TSN found Crosby had to say about the incident:

“I don’t what he’s talking about. I was preaching about the hits like [Max Pacioretty’s hit on Kris Letang] tonight, not a scrum,” explained Crosby. “I don’t know what he expects after he runs a goalie three times. He’s probably lucky it was me that was handling it and not someone else. I think if he’s going to do that, he should be ready to expect a response.”

Friday’s incident began when Foligno fell over Penguins goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury in the third period. Crosby responded by cross-checking the Senators forward twice. Foligno answered back with a cross-check of his own before Crosby delivered an elbow to the head of Foligno.  At that point, Penguins forward Chris Kunitz jumped in and a scrum ensued.

“It’s not a big deal, but it is something that he preached all summer about that we should limit that and then he goes and does it, so I was just a little disappointed,” Foligno said Friday. “But, you know, that’s a small part of the game and it’s over now.”

Crosby was assessed a two-minute elbowing penalty on the play while Foligno received a roughing minor.

“I think he’s blowing it totally out of proportion,” stated Crosby. “Two nights before that I go into a scrum and I get punched in the head. I accept that. I’m going into a scrum that’s part of playing the game.”

Continued

Filed in: | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

JBytes's avatar

...the Penguins star elbowed Foligno in the head.

I take it that this “Penguins star” will be hearing from Sheriff Shanahan, right?  Right?  I mean, after all, we wouldn’t it to look like he was getting special treatment from the league, would we?

Posted by JBytes on 11/26/11 at 11:48 AM ET

Tony's avatar

Elbow to the head is not accurate…

Forearm to the chin is….

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 11/26/11 at 12:22 PM ET

Wow two minutes for elbowing? No penalty for cross checking? I don’t know George, at the risk of drawing the wrath of Evilpens(be still my beating heart), it looked pretty blatant to me. Did Foligno do something before that to raise the ire of “HIS HOLINESS”?

Posted by From The Hockey Wastelands from Cleveland on 11/26/11 at 12:29 PM ET

Tony's avatar

Yes, he fell over Fleury….

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 11/26/11 at 12:32 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

...before the Penguins star elbowed Foligno in the head.

Such a good ambassador for the game. Such a good leader.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 11/26/11 at 12:45 PM ET

Krononymous's avatar

So the play gets a little bit chippy and Crosby loses his temper.  He goes to the box and your team keeps him off the scoreboard.  The Blues got it right the other night - no points and 6 minutes in penalties (including another elbow).

Posted by Krononymous on 11/26/11 at 12:51 PM ET

Yes, he fell over Fleury….

No he didn’t. Fleury tripped him with his stick and he fell on top of him. Maybe you should watch the video again Sherlock.

Posted by From The Hockey Wastelands from Cleveland on 11/26/11 at 12:58 PM ET

Link_Gaetz's avatar

I think that happens every single hockey game. Literally.

Posted by Link_Gaetz on 11/26/11 at 01:08 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Two elbowing penalties in three games for Crosby the goon.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 11/26/11 at 01:26 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Can’t wait until someone punches him in the head.  Hard.

Posted by Primis on 11/26/11 at 01:27 PM ET

Greg's avatar

it was the cuff of his glove…plus a nice head jerk back by Foligno.  there were a few good cross checks though…

Posted by Greg on 11/26/11 at 01:38 PM ET

BrendonR's avatar

However it ended up impacting Foligno, Crosby still clearly raised his arm up and directed his elbow at the guy’s head.  Can’t play a real physical game so he has to resort to these cheap cross-checks.  Reminds me of his cheapshots on Zetterberg when Jimmy came in and gave him a face wash.  Foligno is right, for a guy who was whining about the hits he got all summer, neither of which were directed at the head, it’s ridiculous that he resorts to this kind of stuff.

Just another reminder of the massive canyon-sized gap between the Red Wings’ captain and the Pens’.

Posted by BrendonR on 11/26/11 at 01:59 PM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

With “the kid” it is “scrappy”, all others you’re a dirty hockey player.

Posted by Rdwings28 on 11/26/11 at 02:01 PM ET

cs6687's avatar

Fall on a goaltender for the second time in a game and you’re asking for it. End of story.

Posted by cs6687 on 11/26/11 at 02:16 PM ET

Losers gonna be losers

Maybe someday this “best player in the world” will win a stanley cup without the league and the refs backing him up

Posted by Zqto from Brazil on 11/26/11 at 02:20 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

He was penalized on the play so I don’t really see this as an issue of favoritism. I don’t like the guy but I just didn’t think that the hit was a big deal given what goes on in front of the net on a very regular basis. :shrugs:

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 11/26/11 at 02:35 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Well at least it was Foligno. If it was Homer, it would have been a no call or a dive.

Posted by MoreShoot on 11/26/11 at 02:59 PM ET

I just didn’t think that the hit was a big deal

Yet you post the video, knowing full well it will rile up the moron fans and non-fans on here.  Got it.

Posted by yayamo on 11/26/11 at 03:03 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Karma’s a bitch, Crosby.  Shanahan might be turning a blind eye, but the players won’t take kindly to a whinny little bitch throwing headshots.  Practice what you preach, or reap what you sow.

Posted by Hootinani on 11/26/11 at 03:03 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Not trying to feign ignorance, yayamo…My original statement was that I’ve seen worse, and I have. I knew it’d cause a stir but I’m honestly surprised that it’s this contentious.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 11/26/11 at 03:11 PM ET

Flashtastick56's avatar

Posted by Zqto from Brazil on 11/26/11 at 11:20 AM ET

He already did that.  I guess you’ve only been watching hockey since the 2009-2010 season?

Posted by Flashtastick56 from Meriden, CT on 11/26/11 at 03:30 PM ET

Fair enough.  But I wonder if there is anyone who doesn’t already hate Crosby, his family and his descendants that thinks this should be suspendable?

Posted by yayamo on 11/26/11 at 03:32 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

I don’t like Crosby.

This was a high shot that connected with the forearm instead of the elbow (call it luck if you want), and he got penalized in accordance.

Now, if he elbowed the guy in the head, would he feel the wrath of Shanahan? Doubtful, but we won’t know since he really didn’t elbow him in the head.

FWIW, he must truly feel 100% if he’s engaging in these activities…good for him.

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 11/26/11 at 03:46 PM ET

That is Crosby’s game, elbow in the head, cross check, punch in the balls and whine to the ref. Our Hero Returns!

Posted by timbits on 11/26/11 at 03:59 PM ET

His first “elbowing” penalty on Jackman was an absolute joke.  But as it was most likely a makeup call for Malkin’s dive sending Jackman to the box earlier in the game it wasn’t worth complaint.

If you wanna consider him a goon for it though I suggest you YT it because Jackman checks Sid and then falls over but since Sid raised his arms bracing for the hit they thought he elbowed him.

Also spare us your bullshit about the ambassador to the game.  Lidstrom is rightfully TPHB, but Gordie’s legend isn’t tainted by his “sharp elbows”.  Terrible Ted just got a trophy named after him! Because despite the fact he was dirty son of a bitch on the ice he was one of the greatest people to influence it off it, and a damn great player on it.

It’s fun to assume the moral high ground in the comment sections of the internet era but don’t confuse yourselves to think your opinion is anything more than fringe one that will fade as time progresses.  I’m sure plenty of O6 fans had their reasons to bitch about Ted and Gordie but obviously no one gives a shit about that now.

Harrold Ballard and Punch Imlach are far more villainous than ‘Rosby’s’ cantankerous attitude that drives opposing fan nuts but I’m not sure he’s even as objectively dislikable as other stars like the Rocket.  I get it, all that matters to everyone is their opinion, which usually stems from the present than the past, but you Wings fans should know all of this more than anyone else.

Posted by JBM on 11/26/11 at 04:03 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

George Malik Anything about Crosby & Red Wang fans Lose their Minds, You should realize this by now

Posted by Evilpens on 11/26/11 at 04:08 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Posted by JBM on 11/26/11 at 01:03 PM ET

So it’s not so much that Crosby is a goon that Malkin is a diver?

Okey doke then.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 11/26/11 at 04:19 PM ET

Posted by Evilpens on 11/26/11 at 01:08 PM ET

Funny I was at a local junior hockey game the other night the PA announcer mentioned Crosby’s name and the 4000 fans in attendance loudly booed. BTW this was no where near Michigan.

Posted by timbits on 11/26/11 at 04:21 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

beavis I am talking about Here at KK’s Capice

Posted by Evilpens on 11/26/11 at 04:56 PM ET

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 11/26/11 at 01:19 PM ET

Cherry picking is always cool.  Almost as cool as making blanket statements but you don’t seem interested in really addressing things so carry on.

Posted by JBM on 11/26/11 at 06:46 PM ET

I was at a Junior game the other night and they mentioned kittens and the 5000 fans in attendance loudly booed.  Hey it is fun making stuff up on the Internet!  BTW they were not dogs.

Posted by yayamo on 11/26/11 at 07:13 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by JBM on 11/26/11 at 01:03 PM ET

What you said about Gordie is true, he was well renowned for his elbows.  But lets also call to mind that when Gordie played, when the players were allowed to police themselves.  If you threw a cheap shot, you’d have to answer the bell.  I’ll call to mind the “Gordie Howe Hat Trick”...  doesn’t seem that Gordie had a reputation for backing down from a fight, taking cheap shots when the refs weren’t looking, and complaining to the refs and press all the time.  I don’t know about you, but I don’t expect to see Sidney backing up his game with his fists anytime soon.  I’m not going to cite a “pro-Crosby conspiracy” here because I think it makes his critics look stupid, besides I think its just about of envious bullshit.  However, my respect for him go up when he stops hiding behind the officials and his teammates, and stands up like a man for the way he plays.  Its true a lot of people hate Sidney simply because he is a dominant player, but I think a whole lot more people hate him because he only plays the tough guy act when he is protected.

Also, they didn’t wear hard plastic elbow pads in those days either, so elbows weren’t quite the weapons then that they are now.

So, what I am saying is, you’re not wrong about Gordie, but he and Sid don’t really compare.

Posted by Evilpens on 11/26/11 at 01:56 PM ET

Ah, Professor.  Have you reached tenure as of yet?

———

Anyway, as for the play itself, two minutes seems apropos.  It would be better for Sidney and the Pens though if he close the high road in the future.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 11/26/11 at 07:15 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by yayamo on 11/26/11 at 04:13 PM ET

Thats a nice straw man argument you made there.  Create the illusion of a false premise and then attack it, while never actually addressing the point Timbits was making, which was that plenty of people outside of Detroit hate Crosby.

That tactic works great if your running for President, but it will get you an F in Rhetoric and Logic.

Try again.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 11/26/11 at 07:23 PM ET

LiteWork's avatar

Posted by Zqto from Brazil on 11/26/11 at 11:20 AM ET

Posted by Flashtastick56 from Milford, CT on 11/26/11 at 12:30 PM ET

Please stop posting Flashtastick56. You’re an idiot.

Posted by LiteWork on 11/26/11 at 07:33 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I don’t feel I need to explain myself when I call Sidney Crosby a goon.  If you took that comment seriously, then you made a mistake.

But please don’t compare him to Gordie Howe for toughness.

When Crosby took off the visor after being chirped by… shit was that Michael Ryder?  I don’t remember who it was, but the guy had gotten under Crosby’s skin to the point where Sid was ready to fight and the guy told Sid to take off his visor and he’d oblige him.  Sid lost the visor and whomever the hell that was lost his nerve.

At any rate, when Sid did that, I thought it was a ballsy move.  But he’s no Gordie Howe.  Gordie never built a reputation as a whiner. I don’t believe anybody ever called Gordie a diver either. Gordie didn’t quite chirp the refs the same way either. Sid is still fighting the reputation that he earned for himself and he’s taken a step back here with the shit he pulled.

But Foligno had a point… Crosby spent 11 months talking about the need to get headshots out of the game and the need for respect and, whether it was his glove or his elbow, Crosby has been penalized for attacking somebody in the head for two consecutive games.

I wouldn’t be so worried about whether his flaws will still be apparent 50 years from now though, I’m sure there will be all new young phenoms to complain about by then.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 11/26/11 at 08:02 PM ET

Posted by yayamo on 11/26/11 at 04:13 PM ET

Alrightt, you may not like what I have to say, but I don’t lie. So if you need facts here they are. The game was the WHL Junior game between the Seattle Thunderbirds andt the Regina Pats. Between periods the announcer mentioned one contestant was wearing a Crosby Jersey, the place booed loudly. I confess I misjudged the crowd, there were only 3074 fans at the game.

So back off assh@le!

Here is the game summary.

GAME SUMMARY 1008260
Wednesday, November 23, 2011 - Status: Final

SCORING 1 2 3 Total
Regina Pats 2 0 0 2
Seattle Thunderbirds 1 1 3 5

ShoWare Center - Kent, WA

Attendance: 3074
Start: 7:10 PM
End: 9:27 PM

Posted by timbits on 11/26/11 at 08:11 PM ET

JJ your use of the word goon keyed me into the fact your most likely joking but when you say “Crosby has been penalized for attacking somebody in the head for two consecutive games.” you’re really justifying why I addressed it.  He didn’t attack someone in the head for two consecutive games!  He gave it to Foligno last night and if you wanna consider that one I can’t argue, but the Jackman elbowing penalty was nothing at all, which is why I addressed your “two elbows” comment.  I already conceded it was most likely a makeup call on a Malkin dive towards Jackman earlier so I hope you can understand my perspective in this discussion isn’t simply STOP TALKING ABOUT MY CAPTAIN LOLOL, but rather focused on this single issue.

Also the reason I mention Howe isn’t to compare the two, you guys rightfully pointed out the major major differences between them.  (And for what it’s worth I’ve come to learn that Howe was probably better than Mario despite the fact we Pittsburghers seem to have the idea Mario was the greatest ever until he happened to run into that whole cancer thing.)  I’m simply stating that what we look at today as the villainous things Sid does to tarnish the league as a whole are totally baseless, especially when you provide the simplest bit of context.

Gordie and Ted are great examples of how players can cross that fine line but still be heroes and loved.  Crosby will never play the style either did but I just think it’s laughable when people suggest he’s a detriment to the league.  I realize he was pissed off at the end of a losing game and like and idiot cross-checked Z a bunch and is just generally unlikeable.  (I know this isn’t an isolated incident but it’s the most apparent one I think).  I mean Gordie elbowed people up and down the ice carrying the puck.  He punched out a rookie in training camp for stealing the puck off him.  Terrible Ted skated across the other side of the ice to hit a fan with stick because the fan reached over and grabbed Gordie’s stick.  Obviously the difference in scale of these incidents is affected by cultural changes outside the game but I just find it hilarious when I see everyone so up in arms about what are surely very minor yet irritating incidents by Sid and think it affects his entire persona and the game as a whole.  But then on the same token praise the legends of the game who did things far, far worse than anything Sid will ever dream of.

Posted by JBM on 11/26/11 at 09:01 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

For what it’s worth, I think elbowing Barrett Jackman in the head should be legal.  I hate that guy.

I don’t think Crosby is a detriment to the league, but I think the way the NHL chooses to cover him at the expense of a lot of very talented guys is a mistake on their part.

Unfortunately, as a part of that, it puts his flaws under a microscope. I know Crosby didn’t choose to be anointed as the second coming, but by know he has to know the weight his words carry and so to say headshots have to go and then get caught committing a headshot in his third game back is disappointing.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 11/26/11 at 09:08 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by JBM on 11/26/11 at 06:01 PM ET

JBM, your point is well taken here, and I hope you believe me on that.  Sid’s problem is that he represents a perceived double standard by the rest of the NHL’s fandom.  I don’t believe that the commissioner and the referees have been part of a secret pro-Pens/Crosby agenda, but the idea is popular enough outside of Pittsburgh.  I don’t think I need to go through all of the examples that fans have pointed to over Sidney’s career, we all know them.  Crosby has a reputation for whining, blah, blah.  Thats not really who he is anymore, and I’m willing to buy in to that.

HOWEVER, Sid at the very least should have an awareness of the way he is perceived and take care not to feed the flames.  You can point to Howe and Lindsay, and you’re not wrong for doing so, but that doesn’t change anything about Sid’s reputation.  Sid would do himself and his organization a big favor if he didn’t preach one thing off the ice and do another on the ice.  All it does is feed the “double standard” that the fans see.  It may not be fair to pass everything Sid does through that filter, but thats just reality and he needs to bear that in mind if he wants his reputation to improve.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 11/26/11 at 09:47 PM ET

cs6687's avatar

Sid did what a good captain does. I know the blind hate from most of this site can’t see it or refuse to admit it, but Crosby was defending his goaltender. That instance was the second time Foligno fell on Fleury last night. Foligno obviously didn’t get the message the first time. Anybody who’s every played hockey will tell you that if a player initiates or gets involved with the goaltender, he’s asking for trouble. Crosby defended his goaltender. There’s more than one way of being a good captain, and not the cookie-cutter image Detroit fans have in their heads from Yzerman and Lidstrom. Mark Messier wasn’t the quietest captain, but his leadership style was effective. Crosby’s a very good captain. His teammates have vouched for that many times. If anybody wants an example of a bad captain, there’s this guy in Washington who wears number 8.

Posted by cs6687 on 11/26/11 at 09:52 PM ET