Craig Adams, Pittsburgh Pengiuins fined

Per TSN’s Bob McKenzie:

PIT will be without Craig Adams in game four. His instigator in last 5 minutes stands. Auto 1 game suspension. $10K fine for Dan Bylsma.

added 5:43pm (Paul),

NEW YORK (April 16, 2012)—Pittsburgh Penguins forward Craig Adams has been suspended for one game and Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma has been fined $10,000 for Adams’ actions in the final five minutes of Sunday’s Eastern Conference Quarterfinal playoff game against the Flyers in Philadelphia, the National Hockey League’s Department of Player Safety announced today.

Adams instigated a fight at 15:18 of the third period. He was assessed a minor penalty for instigating, a major penalty for fighting and a game misconduct.

Filed in: | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

mrfluffy's avatar

But Malkin…

Heh…no…nevermind.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 04/16/12 at 06:42 PM ET

well if adams is suspended, then for sure the other two are going to be as well.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 04/16/12 at 06:44 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

This one was the easiest of the bunch.

Now let’s see if they get the other two right.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/16/12 at 06:49 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

I’m kind of surprised Babcock didn’t get a fine for his comment in Game 1. Forgive me for my ignorance but why is Bylsma getting fined here?

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 04/16/12 at 06:51 PM ET

Pens should have been fined $500,000 for the circus they call a hockey team.

Posted by timbits on 04/16/12 at 06:51 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 04/16/12 at 04:51 PM ET

The fine is automatic for a coach of a player who is assessed an instigator in the last five minutes of a game.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/16/12 at 06:53 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Ah. Control of the players and all of that jazz. Thanks.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 04/16/12 at 06:55 PM ET

Eh. He’s the only guy who didn’t do anything wrong. As a fourth-liner you can’t be letting a bigger guy fight your captain. Sometimes you need to save him from himself.

even if he did something to deserve it

or started the fight and got his ass kicked

Posted by larry from pitt on 04/16/12 at 06:56 PM ET

Should say of all the players who got press for all the wrong reasons, Adams is the only one who didn’t do anything embarrassing.

Posted by larry from pitt on 04/16/12 at 06:57 PM ET

Adams is the only one who didn’t do anything embarrassing.

except for the pulling of the hair and punching a guy from behind that was already being held by another player. I hate Hartnell’s mop, but hair pulling? When the between board crew is calling you out, it is hard to hide.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 04/16/12 at 07:01 PM ET

if you grow it like that, it should be fair game just like in the NFL.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 04/16/12 at 07:09 PM ET

Maybe all you Red Wing fans should worry less about the Pens/Flyers series and more about beating Nashville. Wouldn’t be shocked at all if the Wings are on the golf course with the Pens after this round.

Posted by John Scanlon from Pittsburgh, PA on 04/16/12 at 07:13 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Why? Are you only capable of thinking about one thing over the course of any given day?

That must be very taxing for you.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/16/12 at 07:14 PM ET

*blindly grabs back of Jersey in tight quarters
*feels hair

“better let go of him. Don’t want to have pulled hair when I’m trying to punch a guy in the face”

*is clocked

Please.

As for the other thing, part of a 4th liner’s job is to make sure his captain doesn’t get in fights with bigger guys. If you have to punch from behind to get his attention, fly in when he’s squared off, hit him under the ref…well…that’s the job. Always been the job. Always will be until fighting’s banned. Adams didn’t do anything wrong.

Posted by larry from pitt on 04/16/12 at 07:14 PM ET

YYZerman's avatar

if you grow it like that, it should be fair game just like in the NFL.
Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 04/16/12 at 05:09 PM ET

So you should be able to pull hair in a fist fight just because he has long hair? What about a hockey fight does hair pulling belong? Should you also be able to poke someone in the eye because they have eye’s? Or bite their ears off because you can bite ears with your mouth?

Come on, you drop the gloves for a reason. To fight with your fist’s. It’s one thing if it get’s mixed up in the jersey when you’re trying grab someone. But he flat out grabed it.

Posted by YYZerman from Detroit, Michigan on 04/16/12 at 07:16 PM ET

We are not all Wings fans, they all have a red and white picture attached to their name plate.

Posted by timbits on 04/16/12 at 07:18 PM ET

YYZerman's avatar

Posted by larry from pitt on 04/16/12 at 05:14 PM ET

Have you ever played hockey? Not once did I see anyone go and jump in the middle of Gretkzy while he was fighting someone. It’s one thing to start a fight with a guy who’s been hounding your best player to let him know not mess with him. It’s another for the said “captain” to start a fight and then have someone jump in the middle and take over for him. If you’re tough enough to start something, then you should finish it. You didn’t see anyone jump in for Geroux did you?

Posted by YYZerman from Detroit, Michigan on 04/16/12 at 07:21 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

If the attitude is that you’re supposed to punch guys in the back of the head and jump in as the third man in an altercation to get your star player out of a problem he created for himself, then I’m afraid this suspension wasn’t long enough and the fine wasn’t big enough.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/16/12 at 07:22 PM ET

You mean like when Hartnell bit Letang in 2009 simply because he “had a finger”?

Posted by bobbo on 04/16/12 at 07:26 PM ET

Posted by YYZerman from Detroit, Michigan on 04/16/12 at 05:21 PM ET

Gretzky didn’t fight. That video with Yzerman not good enough for you?

Posted by larry from pitt on 04/16/12 at 07:27 PM ET

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/16/12 at 05:22 PM ET

Then go write a diatribe about how Yzerman and Probert were bums. Not my problem you don’t like how they played.

Posted by larry from pitt on 04/16/12 at 07:29 PM ET

statelouis26's avatar

Posted by John Scanlon from Pittsburgh, PA on 04/16/12 at 05:13 PM ET

Somebody’s upset.  Even if the wings get out, they ain’t going down in the flames the pens are.  EMBARRASSED.

Posted by statelouis26 from Detroit, MI on 04/16/12 at 07:29 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Okay, everybody got some shots in, time to get back on topic.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/16/12 at 07:32 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Posted by larry from pitt on 04/16/12 at 05:29 PM ET

All the way back to 1987, huh?  Nice.

These plays aren’t very comparable, but if Probert would have been suspended for 3 or 4 games back then, I wouldn’t have a problem.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/16/12 at 07:39 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Mike Babcock and the players are not commenting here, so there’s that.

Also, I recall McCarty grabbing players by the collar so they wouldn’t go near Lidstrom. But there’s a huge difference between grabbing the guy and puching him.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 04/16/12 at 07:57 PM ET

I’m obviously biased, but to me, it’s not like Adams yanked on Hartnell’s hair.  He grabbed his collar and his hand got caught up in the orange fro.  Not that it matters, because that wasn’t what was suspended.

As far as Adams going at it for Sid I have no problem with that.  Crosby already fought once in the game and would have a 2nd time if Schenn would have said yes.  4th line guys on any team would do what Adams did.

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 04/16/12 at 08:06 PM ET

YYZerman's avatar

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 04/16/12 at 05:57 PM ET

my hole point is that Crosby went and started a fight and then ran away. Lidstrom never went looking for anything.

Posted by YYZerman from Detroit, Michigan on 04/16/12 at 08:42 PM ET

YYZerman's avatar

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/16/12 at 05:39 PM ET

I agree with this totally.

Posted by YYZerman from Detroit, Michigan on 04/16/12 at 08:43 PM ET

I’m a Flyers fan, but ahead of that truth is my love for the game of ice hockey.  I grew up freezing in rinks all up and down the East Coast watching both of my brothers play.  It’s not just a sport; when played as it’s meant to be executed, it’s also an art.

I don’t give a damn what color jersey a player’s wearing.  No one has the right to intentionally hurt another human being - on or off the ice.  I have no allegiance to Detroit other than a friend in the 19 who is a devout Red Wings fan, but Shea Weber’s abuse of Zetterberg made me physically sick, not because he’s a Wing but because he’s a person.

Anyone who chimes in on this board or elsewhere and tries to justify the barbaric behavior thus far in the playoffs as excusable, accidental, or what the 4th line is supposed to do, is just as guilty as the NHL administrators whose cowardice, ball-less, ineptitude is defiling the sanctity of the sport.

My greatest fear is that it’s going to take the death of a player before this reprehensible behavior by the players (hell yes, Flyers included), and the ambiguous disciplinary policy and laissez-faire attitude of favoritism and general stupidity of the League Officials ceases and desists.

God forbid such a casualty, or even a tragic occurrence on a lesser scale, should ever come to be, but if it did, I wouldn’t give a damn what color jersey that player had been wearing.  I’d mourn for the person and I’d mourn for the sport.

I love the game of ice hockey, but I despise with every fiber of my being what this League has become.

Posted by Karen Weaver from United States on 04/16/12 at 08:50 PM ET

YYZerman's avatar

Posted by bobbo on 04/16/12 at 05:26 PM ET

I love how Pens fans always try and bring something else up that happened before. Just because Hartnell did it back in 2009 doesn’t mean it’s right. I’m sure pens fans cried about it back then but are now using it as an excuse it’s ok.

Posted by YYZerman from Detroit, Michigan on 04/16/12 at 08:50 PM ET

cs6687's avatar

Hartnell bit Letang’s finger two years ago. He’s scum. His hair is fair game. I don’t care what the NHL says.

But Malkin…

Heh…no…nevermind.

Get. Over. It. You must be a woman.

Posted by cs6687 on 04/16/12 at 09:13 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Get. Over. It. You must be a woman.

Posted by cs6687 on 04/16/12 at 07:13 PM ET

You are a misogynistic failure.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/16/12 at 09:29 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Posted by Karen Weaver from United States on 04/16/12 at 06:50 PM ET

Thank you. Your comment is a good summation of everything that is wrong with the game today.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/16/12 at 09:34 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

I’m looking into the logistics of getting streams of the Euro elite leagues. I like hockey more than circuses.

But on point, Crosby grabbed Hartnell, and when Hartnell pushed back, Adams came in. If Captain Crosby doesn’t instigate the confrontation, it doesn’t happen. Adams needs to let Sid fight his own battles.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 04/16/12 at 09:46 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

But Malkin…

Heh…no…nevermind.

Get. Over. It. You must be a woman.

Your troll-fu is strong.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 04/16/12 at 10:09 PM ET

Salty's avatar

Get. Over. It. You must be a woman.

Posted by cs6687 on 04/16/12 at 07:13 PM ET

You’re whining about something that happened two years ago while telling somebody to get over something that happened not quite three years ago.

Posted by Salty on 04/16/12 at 11:02 PM ET

Forlorn in VA's avatar

Get. Over. It. You must be a woman.

Posted by cs6687 on 04/16/12 at 07:13 PM ET

Excuse me, can you tell me what, exactly, is wrong with being a woman?

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 04/17/12 at 12:19 AM ET

cs6687's avatar

And now do you see my point?

Posted by cs6687 on 04/17/12 at 12:57 AM ET

cs6687's avatar

You are a misogynistic failure.

Speak when spoken to, Kate.

Posted by cs6687 on 04/17/12 at 12:57 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

Whatever happened to gender-neutral terms like fartknocker, doodoohead and asshat?

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 04/17/12 at 01:27 AM ET