Can’t Get Out Of Nassau Coliseum

from Mike Harrington of Sabres Edge at the Buffalo News,

So I thought I had struck paydirt. How wrong I was. Went into the vestible and the 20 or so doors leading to the parking lot were not padlocked but they were all locked. OK, so I turned around to go back into the concourse and see if there were any other open doors. Uh-oh. Here’s where the problem began.

The doors back into the concourse locked behind me. The doors to the parking lot were locked. I was stuck in the vestibule. Picture an area roughly the width of the gate area inside the HSBC Arena pavilion. So I started banging on the doors leading back inside and yelling. No one around. Not a soul. There’s a stairway leading downstairs by a couple restaurants and the MSG studio. No one around. Not a soul.

My flight from JFK was in the 10 p.m. range so that wasn’t an issue—unless I spent hours inside. And how was I getting out? I had no choice. I dialed 911. Nassau County 911 was a little confused.

“There’s nothing going on at the Coliseum.” Um, there was a hockey game.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Buffalo Sabres, New York Islanders, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Glad it wasn’t me but that is the funniest thing I have read in a while

Posted by rdgamblr from Northern Illinois on 01/24/11 at 01:10 PM ET

Alan's avatar

“There’s nothing going on at the Coliseum.” Um, there was a hockey game.

Best line ever.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 01/24/11 at 02:00 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

Great write up. It read more like a blog than an article, which I guess says something about the legitimacy of bloggers (or that sports journalism isn’t real journalism?). Either way, that was an amusing story.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 01/24/11 at 02:11 PM ET

pensfan29's avatar

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 01/24/11 at 12:11 PM ET

It was a blog actually

Posted by pensfan29 on 01/24/11 at 02:34 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

It’s kind of funny how the lines blur. When you’re credentialed and traveling, publishing on the newspaper’s dime, it’s sometimes a tough call to make as far as which is which. But regardless, it had the tone of a blog and was highly amusing.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 01/24/11 at 02:40 PM ET

“Just see if you can find an open door.” Um, why do you think I’m calling you?

I’d be asking the same thing if I was Nabokov.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 01/24/11 at 03:06 PM ET