Boston Bruins offer support and/or ‘meh’ responses to Tim Thomas’s sabbatical

Via NHL Gossip on Twitter, hockey fans (including this one) might not understand why Tim Thomas has chosen to take a year off from playing hockey, but Comcast Sportsnet Northeast’s Joe Haggerty reports that the vast majority of Thomas’s Boston Bruins teammates are either relatively supportive of their probable ex-teammate’s decision…Or they plain old don’t care that much, which tells you about the strained relationship the B’s have been rumored to have with a player some call Tim-ME…

Nobody on the team begrudged Thomas leaving the team to be with his family in Colorado, and rightfully so. But it was clear his teammates also recognized the Vezina Trophy level goaltending they might be missing out on – an elite level of play that led them to their Stanley Cup title last season.

“He’s a big part of our team. Everyone has the responsibility to make their own decisions in life. I haven’t lost any respect for him,” said Tyler Seguin to CSNNE.com. “I’ll miss him. He’s got my best wishes. Hopefully I’ll be able to be out on the same ice with him again.”

Two other Bruins players reached by CSNNE.com didn’t feel strongly enough about Thomas leaving to comment, and defenseman Dennis Seidenberg was supportive of his teammate attending to family matters.

“If he feels like that’s what he needs to do for his family then that’s okay, I guess,” said Seidenberg. “It’s tough to judge.”

Continued

Filed in: | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Chet's avatar

thomas went from blue collar hero to out of touch primadonna in record time. the second T stands for “tool” these days. what a waste of his time, our time, and his teammates’ time.

people marginally criticized lidstrom for retiring during the SCF saying it took away from the spotlight event of the year. he was excused, it seems, because he’d handled himself with unselfishness and class for 20 years. thomas, sadly, is no lidstrom.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 06/04/12 at 04:44 AM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 06/04/12 at 02:44 AM ET

This.

I once had tremendous respect for Tim Thomas, but his carrying on (regardless of his politics) has been disappointing.  Hockey players usually spoil us by skipping the prima donna crap.  I hope Thomas is the last guy who does this for a good long while.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 06/04/12 at 12:31 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I’d like to know what his wife thinks and whether she’s ok with trading $5M for a year of spending every day with her husband.

I mean, it seems obvious that she is, but I don’t want to get caught assuming things.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 06/04/12 at 01:09 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 06/04/12 at 11:09 AM ET

If my spouse had the option of retiring or deferring retirement for one year to collect five million more dollars, the answer would be “suck it up honey.”

I guess we’ll know the answer when Thomas is spotted working at a gas station “just to get out of the house a little” and/or “for a little extra money” haha.  That usually translates to: “My wife got sick of me hanging around all the time.”

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 06/04/12 at 01:42 PM ET

awould's avatar

trading $5M for a year

He’s set to make $3MM this year. So, you know, chump change!

$6, $6, $5, $3 was his salary schedule, according to capgeek.

That part of this thing bugs me too, it looks like he’s bailing on them just as his salary was reduced. Wonder if he’d really leave $5MM on the table. I can’t imagine leaving $50k on the table to sit around the house, but I’m just a schmo.

Posted by awould on 06/04/12 at 01:45 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

My bad, $3M it is.

I mean, there is a much different dynamic here. I go home and see my wife and kids every day. I don’t have to have such a grueling schedule where I’m away from my family for long stretches and sometimes worn out from my work schedule when I do see them.

We see what that pressure has driven Brad Stuart into doing as well.

Then again, I also don’t make $3M for my trouble.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 06/04/12 at 01:49 PM ET

awould's avatar

I go home and see my wife and kids every day.
Then again, I also don’t make $3M for my trouble.

I don’t think any of us can really understand either side of that dynamic. I can say it’d be really tough to not see my daughter every day, much less once a week or something. But making that kind of money must make all that a lot easier.

Posted by awould on 06/04/12 at 01:56 PM ET