Kukla's Korner Hockey
And not much happened...
from Mike Harrington of the Buffalo News,
Ryan O'Reilly's second date in London, Ont., court has become a third date. The case involving the Sabres center's ill-fated drive into a Tim Hortons was pushed back again today, this time to Oct. 1.
O'Reilly was charged with impaired driving and leaving the scene of an accident on July 9 after crashing his 1951 Chevrolet pickup into the cafe in Lucan, Ont., not far from London. O'Reilly had said earlier in the week he was hopeful the case could be wrapped up today but that was not the case. O'Reilly was represented by an attorney and did not appear.
"That's what we do in Canada -- we remand and remand and remand and lawyers get paid," General Manager Tim Murray joked today in First Niagara Center. "As long as the end result is what he believes is the truth to be and what we've been told ... Would it have been better that it ended on Aug. 10 or today? Maybe. But as long as it's done right vs. done in a speedy fashion, I'm fine with it."
via Lisa Dillman of the LA Times,
WASHINGTON, September 9. /TASS/. US immigration authorities confirmed on Tuesday that they seek to deport Slava Voynov, a Russian ice hockey star from NHL’s Los Angeles Kings.
The Russian defenseman was detained by US Immigration and Customs Enforcement [ICE] last week shortly after being released from a California jail where he served a three-month sentence for domestic violence in regard to his wife.
US Immigration & Customs Enforcement Western Region Communications Director Virginia Kice told TASS that ICE's decision to take Voynov into custody and place him in removal proceedings was based on "a comprehensive review of the case."
"As with anyone who's facing deportation, he'll be afforded due process and the immigration court will ultimately determine whether he'll be subject to removal from the U.S.," she said.
An ICE official, who asked not to be identified, told TASS that ICE Enforcement and Removal Operations has declined to set a bond in Voynov’s case "given his prior conviction for a crime of violence.".
TASS in a major Russian news agency.
from Lisa Dillman of the LA Times,
Kings management spent the better part of the summer on a fact-finding mission, exploring avenues to help promote education and enhance awareness regarding domestic violence and substance abuse issues.
These meetings and plans to bring in guest speakers for the staff and players are one thing. But potentially the most significant step was the move by Kings General Manager Dean Lombardi to hire former NHL player Brantt Myhres.
Lombardi confirmed the hiring of Myhres, who will be the team’s player assistance director. Myhres, who played for six NHL teams and was suspended four times by the league for what he called “dirty” drug tests and then hit with a lifetime ban, arrived in Los Angeles over the weekend and will be on hand for the Kings’ training camp and available to players and coaches throughout the season.
from Nathan Fenno of the LA Times,
Slava Voynov was taken into custody Wednesday by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, throwing the NHL future of the young Kings defenseman into question.
Voynov had been jailed at the Seal Beach Police Detention Center since July 7 following his no contest plea to a misdemeanor domestic violence charge in Los Angeles Superior Court.
After Voynov's release in Seal Beach, ICE took him into custody and is holding the Russian citizen at an unspecified detention facility pending a hearing by an immigration judge, an agency spokeswoman said Thursday.
Because of the violent nature of Voynov's legal entanglement — which brought him to the attention of ICE in the first place — the agency didn't set a bond.
The Kings declined comment while Voynov's agent didn't immediately return a request for comment.
from Jon Rosen of LA Kings Insider,
Anze Kopitar has been eligible to sign a contract extension with the Los Angeles Kings since July 1, but don’t expect an announcement on an extension for the star center in the immediate future.
The Kings and Kopitar are are “not even in the ballpark” in their discussions, Kings General Manager Dean Lombardi told LA Kings Insider over email when asked whether the two sides were “close” to reaching an agreement.
Kopitar has one year remaining on the seven-year, $47.6-million contract he signed in September, 2009. The nine-year NHL veteran will be paid $7.7-million in the final season of a contract that carries a $6.8-million cap hit. In 683 career games, Kopitar has 218 goals, 610 points and a plus-45 rating. The two-time Stanley Cup winner was a finalist for the Selke Trophy in each of the last two seasons and was a Lady Byng Memorial Trophy finalist in 2014-15, when he was an NHL All-Star for the third time. In 70 career playoff games, Kopitar has 18 goals, 60 points and a plus-22 rating.
"I honestly don't know what's going to happen moving on. I mean I have one year left on my contract, and there's a possibility that I can hit the [unrestricted free agent] market.
"It's obviously something that's been a dream of mine since I've been a kid, is to play in your hometown and play for the Canucks, but right now the main focus is going down to L.A. and trying to make the most of that."
-Milan Lucic of the Los Angeles Kings. More from Mike Battaglino of NHL.com.
from Eric Macramalla of TSN,
Richards was arrested when Canadian border guards found "some pills in a single bottle" during a random search of his car. According to Westhead's breaking report, it was small quantity intended for the hockey player's personal use.
That means Richards is looking at a simple possession charge rather than a charge for possession for the purpose of trafficking, which is a lot more serious. A trafficking charge means that a person was in possession of drugs for the purpose of selling or distributing. Richards is facing up to six months in prison and/or a $1,000 fine. Given the small amount, Richards is not going to jail assuming he's guilty of the offence (he may not be). Worst case scenario for Richards may include a fine and community service.
The issue being raised now is whether being charged will hurt Richards' likelihood of success in connection with his grievance against the Kings for unlawfully terminating his contract.
The short answer is no. Before criminal charges were filed against Richards, he stood a good chance of having an arbitrator overturn the termination of his contract. While Richards has now been criminally charged, nothing has changed as far as his chances of success.
from Lisa Dillman of the LA Times,
Prosecutors in Manitoba could proceed summarily, a course of action for less-serious offenses, or by indictment, reserved for more serious matters.
"This is an offense for which there is a huge [sentencing] range," said University of Manitoba law professor Debra Parkes. "It will all depend on the seriousness. I've seen examples of people getting discharges for possession of Oxycodone. There are some examples of that across Canada, if the person is an addict, if it is a relatively low amount, no record, that kind of thing. It could be a fine, or could possibly be imprisonment.
"Without a record, and assuming if it was a small amount, it would be possible to argue even for a discharge. But we don't know enough about the facts."
Less than two weeks after Richards was detained at the border, the Kings moved to terminate his contract, citing "a material breach."
The Kings declined to comment on the legal developments in Manitoba, citing the ongoing litigation regarding the contract grievance. Richards' agent also declined to comment.
But when the Kings terminated Richards' contract, they said in a statement: "We are not prepared to provide any more detail or to discuss the underlying grounds for the contract termination at this time."
from Scott Burnside of ESPN,
Training camp is so close you can almost feel it, so it is time to shake more of the rust off and do a little rambling.
Pretty darned good summer for Calgary Flames general manager Brad Treliving, who stole Dougie Hamilton away from the Boston Bruins at the draft and then locked him in long-term while adding useful forward Michael Frolik, a former Cup winner with the Chicago Blackhawks. Then, earlier this week Treliving took care of priority No. 1: Locking up heart-and-soul captain Mark Giordano to a very salary cap-friendly six-year deal worth an average of $6.75 million per season. It's a deal that gives Treliving lots of cap-room flexibility moving forward, even if there's always a risk in such a long-term deal when Giordano will have just turned 33 when the deal kicks in next October. Many believe the Flames are due a step back this season after a surprising run to the second round of the 2015 Stanley Cup playoffs. But that run was accomplished without Hamilton and Giordano, who was out with a torn biceps tendon. Nothing is guaranteed in the wild Western Conference, but Treliving has his Flames well-positioned to return to the playoffs, not just this season but for the foreseeable future.
One byproduct of the Giordano signing is that the attention on top-end players entering their contract years is amped up. Tops on that list of course is Tampa Bay Lightning captain Steven Stamkos, followed closely by Los Angeles Kings center Anze Kopitar. The slower-than-expected rise in the salary cap coupled with benchmark contracts like those extended to Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane by the Blackhawks last summer that kick in this season has made life more difficult for all GMs, but specifically for Lightning GM Steve Yzerman and Kings GM Dean Lombardi. Locking up Stamkos and Kopitar are obvious priorities for the Bolts and the Kings respectively and we assume the deals will get done, but the longer it takes, the more speculation will percolate that things are amiss.
continued with more topics...
While I don't loathe Kings loopholing contract like some do - I'm a Lamoniello guy after all - this all comes back to Lombardi's failure
Dean could have bought out MR, didn't. Could have dropped hammer on Voynov, didn't. Now he's hypocritical at best/moral bankrupt at worst
About Kukla's Korner Hockey
Paul Kukla founded Kukla’s Korner in 2005 and the site has since become the must-read site on the ‘net for all the latest happenings around the NHL.
From breaking news to in-depth stories around the league, KK Hockey is updated with fresh stories all day long and will bring you the latest news as quickly as possible.
Email Paul anytime at email@example.com