Entries with the tag: Brent Sutter
From Stan Fischler at MaxHockey.com:
Simply put, Sutter undermined the Devils organization in several ways and put his (former) boss in a most difficult position. To wit:
* CONTRACT: Brent was under contract for three years and ducked out after two. As we say in Brooklyn, “N.G.” NO GOOD! (Although maybe that’s how they do things in Red Deer, Alberta.)
* ALIBI: Sutter acted like a six-year-old, claiming he was homesick for the prairie life. Nonsense. He could have—and should have—brought his family with him to the Garden State. He knew that Alberta was far from New Jersey when he took the job. He knew the score when he signed his New Jersey contract. This blissful ignorance does not work in the East.
* DISRUPTION: Lamoriello had long-range plans for Sutter when he hired the man. Young players such as Zach Parise and Travis Zajac were to be developed under Brent. Free agents were to be lured to New Jersey BECAUSE of Brent. Instead, Lou may not have a new coach in place at the start of Free Agency, July 1st. That could be a major detriment to Devils’ plans.
Click here for more. That’s certainly an interesting take. What do you folks think?
The New Jersey Devils seem to do this every single season and now, it may not be hard to think about the reasons why they exit the playoffs in the early rounds.
Last night’s 6-1 loss to the Pittsburgh Penguins was their sixth in a row. The team didn’t play with any urgency, they had poor defensive zone coverage, they did not generate enough scoring chances and even their future hall of fame netminder Martin Brodeur was less than stellar last night.
So, to my Devil fan readers out there, I have a few questions for you:
- Why does the team seem to go on losing streaks prior to going into the playoffs?
- Should the team consider starting backup goaltender Kevin Weekes? Brodeur has not looked like himself in the past few games.
- Does the team not care anymore about the regular season because they already clinched a playoff spot?
- Lastly, will head coach Brent Sutter still be behind the Devils bench when next season begins?