Devil's Advocate

Is Zach Parise On His Way Out Of New Jersey?

From The Fourth Period:

The Devils, who need to meet payroll twice a month until the end of regular season, are considering trading team captain Zach Parise for draft picks.

Parise is set to become an unrestricted free agent this summer and the team’s reported financial woes could put the Devils in a tough situation as to whether they can or are even able to re-sign him.

The 27-year-old is earning a $6 million cap hit this season and his value is only expected to go up as he has posted 15 goals and 24 assists for 39 points in 47 games this season.

The full article can be read here.

Filed in: New Jersey Devils, | Devils Advocate | Permalink
  Tags: zach+parise

Comments

Oh boy, here we go.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 01/23/12 at 04:50 PM ET

Dear Lou,

What draft picks do you want.

With regards,

Ken Holland

Posted by Garth on 01/23/12 at 04:51 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

So here is where I’m ignorant of the minutia in the CBA.  What would Parise’s cap hit be if he goes to another team?

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 01/23/12 at 04:52 PM ET

tgummerer's avatar

Posted by bezukov from South of Detroit on 01/23/12 at 01:52 PM ET

The cap hit stays always the same, changes only once a new contract is in effect.

Posted by tgummerer on 01/23/12 at 04:57 PM ET

Pretty sure his cap hit this season would be whatever he is owed on the remainder of this season.  Just under $3 mill a year.

Posted by wingnut888 on 01/23/12 at 05:26 PM ET

NHLJeff's avatar

tgummerer, you are correct, but as the season goes on and clubs pay players, they use up their salary allotment.  Teams will often send more expensive players down and call cheaper players up for short periods of time to “save cap space” for the end of the season.  So, Parise will have $X left to be paid for the season once/if he gets traded, and I believe, in order to acquire him, a team will just need to have that much remaining to pay out over the rest of the season.

Posted by NHLJeff from Pens fan in Chicago, IL on 01/23/12 at 05:27 PM ET

Alzy's avatar

Bezukov, I don’t know exactly how much room the Wings have, but I’m 99% sure Parise’s cap hit prorated to only half a season’s worth is way under the about 5.5 million of cap space the Wings currently have.

Our first and second rounders in this year’s draft and next year’s draft. Tick. Tock

Posted by Alzy from Cambridge, Ontario, Canada on 01/23/12 at 05:28 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

The Wings DEFINITELY have the cap room to take on Parise without having to clear space. Now’s a matter of actually doing it.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 01/23/12 at 05:36 PM ET

tgummerer's avatar

CapGeek calculates it the other way round, saying the wings could add $14,282,599 cap hit today, and $26,779,874 at the deadline. So they sure don’t have a problem this season adding whatever cap hit a player has (even if there should be any injuries).

Posted by tgummerer on 01/23/12 at 05:38 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

There are 2 ways to build up little cushions of cap-room, but the pro-rating doesn’t matter.  Cash has been paid out, but the cap hit remains the same…...ie., if the player’s salary is to be considered halved, then so is the cap itself.  So Parise would still have 6 million out of the 64.5…......which means the Wings would have to trade or bury a few million in salary.
If the NHL is to make the financial decisions for this club, then I am guessing they will keep their star to try and generate playoff revenue, and thus have a hope of meeting their obligations.  These revenues should not be underestimated.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 01/23/12 at 05:40 PM ET

John W.'s avatar

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from Victoria on 01/23/12 at 02:40 PM ET

That’s not true.  It IS prorated, and the Wings would only be responsible for however much Paries has left against the TOTAL Salary Cap for the season.

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 01/23/12 at 06:07 PM ET

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from Victoria on 01/23/12 at 02:40 PM ET

False.

Technically speaking, the cap hit for each player is divided by 185 (185 days in the season), and for each day they’re on the roster, that 1/185th of their cap hit is counted toward the team’s allotment. As long as the team’s total cap expenditures are at or below the total allowed for the entire season UP TO THE CURRENT DATE, the team is cap compliant.

(So, for example, on day 113 of the regular season, the team may not have spent more than $39,275,135 against the cap so far that season—$64.3 million * (113 / 185.))

If a player is only on the roster for part of a season (e.g., players traded in or out), then only the days they spent on the roster count against the cap.

The reason CapGeek uses huge numbers like “the Red Wings can add $26 million in salary at the deadline” is because it’s a pain in the ass to try to figure out how many 185ths of a player’s hit remains over the course of the season. It’s much easier to think of it as how much the Wings can add in terms of full-season hits, since that number doesn’t change over the course of the season.

But the point is, the Red Wings are projected to finish about $5.7 million under their allotment by the end of the season, which means that they could, TODAY, add about $14 million worth of full-season hits without penalty (since those players would be on the Red Wings’ roster for less than half a season, and thus less than half their hits would count against the Wings this year).

Posted by Sven22 from Grand Rapids on 01/23/12 at 06:10 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

I think what this would boil down to is Ken would wonder if hes worth the rental and loss of draft picks for a run at the cup(obviously WE all think he is, I do). But nothing is guaranteed for next year. So you gotta ask if you couldnt hypothetically reach a contract with him in the off season, was it worth the move/draft picks? A top 6 forward for added scoring punch? Yes please. Tick Tock.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 01/23/12 at 06:30 PM ET

DrewBehr's avatar

I really can’t see Holland making a move like this if he can’t sign Parise long-term (which I’m drooling over my keyboard thinking about). Would it be great to add him for a cup run? Absolutely. But we all know how stingy Holland is when it comes to sacrificing the future of the club, which is one of the reasons the Wings are continuously solid.

There are only a couple guys I feel we need to re-sign in the off-season: Bertuzzi and Stuart. Obviously, Lidstrom as well if he decides to go one more year, but I’m thinking under the assumption he’s gonna be done, as well as Holmstrom. Hudler’s playing well, but he’ll probably go the Ericcson route and ask for more than he’s worth. There are a ton of hypotheticals involved here, but since we’re seeing an abundance of young forwards (Mursak, Emmerton, Nyquist, etc.) emerging, it really makes Hudler expendable.

I guess, if Lidstrom and Homer retire and we let Hudler walk, do we have the money to re-sign Parise AND a Top 2 defenseman?

Posted by DrewBehr from The Mitten on 01/23/12 at 07:16 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by Alzy from Innisfail, Alberta, Canada on 01/23/12 at 02:28 PM ET
—————-

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 01/23/12 at 02:36 PM ET

Thats what I thought, but I figured I should ask before I shoot my mouth off and look silly TBH.

Posted by NIVO on 01/23/12 at 03:30 PM ET

It seems to me that the Wings are pretty flush in the prospect department these days.  I’m fine with Kenny burning some draft picks to get Parise.  Pull the trigger Tick Tock!

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 01/23/12 at 07:17 PM ET

DrewBehr's avatar

I’m also operating under the thought of UFA’s only. RFA Helm will be back, but I’m not so sure about RFA Abdelkader at this point.

Posted by DrewBehr from The Mitten on 01/23/12 at 07:18 PM ET

Is he really that stingy?

He’s traded picks and prospects multiple times for players of much less prestige than an elite scoring winger.

And why Holland choose to sign Parise long term in the summer when, for a relatively nominal fee to the Devils, he could acquire Parise in February and have him play for the Wings for a quarter of the season plus the playoffs to see if he’s a good longterm fit with the team?

Plus, I think shoring up the top six with a Parise signing would greatly diminish any kind of loss of Holmstrom and Hudler, making it easier to shift in one or two Griffins into the bottom-six.

Posted by Garth on 01/23/12 at 07:44 PM ET