Abel to Yzerman

Well Gary?

Knee-on-knee, knee-to-thigh, forehead to lower back. Whatever the case may be, the Franzen/Orpik thing is being ignored by the league.  Professional sport’s most inept commissioner has opted to do nothing and the reason he’s made that choice is because it was a Pittsburgh Penguin who attempted to injure a Detroit Red Wing.

Is that the truth?  It makes no difference whether it is or not because perception is everything in the eyes of the fans.  And the fans are the people you continue to alienate Gary.  When’s the last time a knee-on-knee wasn’t at least addressed?  Why no statement?  Why not at least announce that no suspension is in order? Why not tell us that since no video of the incident occurs, an accurate assessment can’t be made?

Because Little Gary Bettman is running the show and I’m here to tell you that this show sucks and continues to get worse.  For once, the officials got it right and kicked Orpik’s ass out for being a cheap, dirty piece of trash.  And that’s where it stopped.  Isn’t every game misconduct looked at by the league? Isn’t the NHL consistently telling us they’re doing more and more to protect the players from situations just like this?

TPSH said it earlier today and I’ll echo it, the league’s suspension policy is a joke.  It’s more than that though.  The league itself is a mockery, a barnyard folly where discipline is meted out only when it’s convenient and it’s run by a hobbit who learned at the calves of David Stern but can’t hold a candle to his management style.

And spare me the argument about the lack of video.  Somebody’s got it somewhere and every one of you knows it.  Fall on the side of Bettman on this and you’re more biased than I am, and that’s saying something.  In this case, it’s not about being a Wing fan or a Pen fan or whatever.  It’s about being a human being with a shred of intelligence who knows they’re being lied to, deceived and laughed at by a guy who makes seven million dollars a year to turn a once-respected league into a closed-circuit lemonade stand on the corner of a crappy tv network that pushes us to the rearview mirrors of “sports” like MMA, NASCAR and most likely the WNBA (as seen on ESPN).

Crickets from the little man.  Nothing but crickets after a knee-on-knee.  Classic Bettman.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 3 >  Last ›      Next »

Guilherme's avatar

I love hockey, I hate the NHL.

It doesn’t matter who did what to who, but how the league treats it.

And with a shitty comissioner like that, I wonder why people doubt when I post this bit (once every two weekes):

ESPN has wanted it back for 2 yrs. It’s Bettman that won’t do it. RT @mission1619: When you take over ESPN, make sure you get the NHL back. - Bill Simmons’ twitter

And yes, I hope the “NHL brass” reads this. Rosby.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 09/24/10 at 12:01 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

The fans speak out, and are ignored!!

Nothing new about that from Gary.Ass.

This was a deliberate action by Orpik, an impending accidental collision turned into an opprtunity to knee with intent to injure.  Why?  Because that’s in Orpik’s make-up.  That was his instinctive reaction and he acted on it.

Intent to inflict a career ending injury on another player, what will Gary do?

Odds are… nothing.  And the fact that he wants the Pens to get off to a good start in the regular season only elevates the scorn and unbridled contempt that the hockey fan feels for this most incompetent self righteous wee little man.

Posted by RWBill on 09/24/10 at 12:05 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

If I’m a member of the officials union who is trying to work out a deal with the league, I’m taking these two statements to the bargaining table along with a hammer for some fuching toes.

The fans give the officials shit all the time for their mistakes and one of the biggest complaints we’ve had is that there seems to be no accountability when they fuch it up.  Well, if the league is going to always have the officials’ back, then they should be able to make an accurate assessment on the Orpik hit based on what the officials did about it and had to say about it.

Or is this another situation where the refs get thrown under the bus, like when Daly said the ref shouldn’t have even given Malkin an instigator in the finals, despite the fact that he was instigating?

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 09/24/10 at 12:06 PM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

I can’t imagine why Orpik should be suspended
for a potential career ending (illegal) hit.

He did not make a rude gesture (Boynton)
He did not Trash talk (Avery)
He did not skip the ASG due to injury (Datsyuk & Lidstrom).

Get your sh*t together, Chief, your priorities are all wrong.

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 09/24/10 at 12:07 PM ET

Love this!  Orpik is always playing close to the edge and crosses over that line frequently.  I wasn’t at the game and admitttedly haven’t seen the hit but I agree it should, at the very least, warrant further review by the league.  But Bettman has done NOTHING and ironically that is what he is worth as commissioner, NOTHING!  I hate Bettman!  He is a little weasel!  I never thought I’d say this but I’d rather have John Ziegler!

Posted by Nooch99 on 09/24/10 at 12:09 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Jeebus HTT way to stir the pot by bringing up the all star game episode.

Li’l Gary establishes what his priorities are by his actions, or lack of action.  Number 1? Stroking his insatiable ego.

He is a wee little man.

Posted by RWBill on 09/24/10 at 12:13 PM ET

Boynton gets a suspension for running his hand across his throat, where the worst result could be a wind burn. Orpik (who has a history of suspensions) gets nothing for a hit the referees deemed to be illegal and dangerous. Keep in mind, these were NHL referees, who never met a call they couldn’t make.

Consider that the NHL suspended Avery for comments he made off the ice. The NHL is concerned about its “image” so much but fails to address the actual safety of the players on the ice. If this were the NFL (you know, a well-run league), Orpik would be out.

Maybe someone should start a FireGaryBettman.com site - Chief, you interested in pulling double duty?

Posted by GrahamWIIM from Chicago via Toronto on 09/24/10 at 12:16 PM ET

Mandingo's avatar

The important thing is that Bettman suspended Boynton for his Mummenschanz routine.

It’s more important the the league address it’s perceived softness when it comes to pantomime. Bettman should consider an automatic five-game suspension for jazz hands.

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 09/24/10 at 12:20 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

You’re missing the point, Chief. All some of us (myself included) are saying is that it’s a little unfair for me, on a personal level, to demand severe punishment for something that I’ve got very little evidence to go on.

I’m not denying Orpik made a stupid play. The box score tells us that… any time you get a major for a knee and kicked out of the game you probably made a big mistake.

I agree with your entire post as far as the joke that is NHL discipline, but I really think that this is hardly the “incident” to focus on.

If we want to talk about the joke that is NHL discipline, let’s look at the “fizzix” Pronger laid on Holmstrom, the “instigator but not instigator” from Malkin, or one of the many other terribly cheap hits that have concussed players over the last few seasons.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 09/24/10 at 12:25 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

I don’t care if I saw it, or you saw it, Nathan.  Somehow the league did, and if they haven’t they have the words and the eye-witness accounts of the officials on the ice…who made the decision to give him a Game Misconduct.  Shouldn’t that be enough?

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 09/24/10 at 12:27 PM ET

Matt Saler's avatar

And at least one somebody is the Wings (sorry grammar Nazis). You know they sent it to the League and the fact that the League still opts to do nothing is pretty pathetic. Especially when Boynton gets a game for a throat slash motion that didn’t actually hurt anyone.

Posted by Matt Saler from Grand Rapids, MI on 09/24/10 at 12:29 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Are you telling me TPSH actually wrote something worth reading?

But you’re right. Regardless of the intent and severity of the hit, the league should respond to it int one way or another. Even if its just to say “Faux you Detroit” again.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 09/24/10 at 12:31 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

That the league went with this particular course of action (and inaction) is mind-bogglingly pathetic.

Good to hear Bert delivered some sweet chin-music justice, though, perhaps this sort of inability of the league to regulate attempts to injure will revive the era of the enforcer.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Somewhere West of Detroit on 09/24/10 at 12:36 PM ET

Matt Saler's avatar

Nah, because the League would come down like a storm on any established thug doing anything but sit on the bench for 57 minutes each game. It’s the stars and the mid-range guys like Orpik that get away with it.

Posted by Matt Saler from Grand Rapids, MI on 09/24/10 at 12:40 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Gary Bettman
a sad, strange, little man.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 09/24/10 at 12:41 PM ET

Stevis's avatar

I’m sorry, siggy.  Are “women” synonymous with “weak” on your planetoid?

Posted by Stevis on 09/24/10 at 12:44 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

I got to the part that cited TPSH, I threw up in my mouth a little and could read no further. TPSH is the Imadinnerjacket of hockey bloggers.

Chief, you can make an excellent argument about what a worthless, two-faced, hypocritical POS Lil Gary is without resorting to citing another worthless, two-faced, hypocritical POS to support that argument.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 09/24/10 at 12:47 PM ET

Sullyosis's avatar

Worded perfectly, but it really goes without say.  It’s why trolls hate us, it’s why the other fans fear us, it’s why our dominance is translated to elitism, it’s why the Hockey Gods reward us with eternal glory, it’s why Bertuzzi bombs federal buildings.  It’s because we’re the best.

I feel like that line you wrote there is the optimal way of letting others know what we all know and feel already, but never need to share.  It’s wonderful.  As an entry-level blogger now, I aspire to Chiefdom, but, as is my philosophy with most campaigns, it will never be achieved, only approached.

Posted by Sullyosis from A hateful lair in Post Apocalyptic US (or Arizona) on 09/24/10 at 12:53 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Any news on Happy’s condition. Did he break anything blocking that shot in the red and white game?

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 09/24/10 at 01:01 PM ET

scpensfan's avatar

I still laugh everytime a cry for Malkin’s instigator comes out.  Did you guys ever consider working for fox news, who also believes that the last foul was the only foul.  Zetterberg croschecked Talbot in the chops, Malkin stepped in for his teammate, got punched in the face, then dealt the thunder.  Who was instigating again?

Posted by scpensfan from South Carolina on 09/24/10 at 01:15 PM ET

UMFan's avatar

One would think that both teams have video of the game for coaching and analysis purposes. There might not be as many cameras compared with a television production, but I can’t imagine that in this day and age that a practice and/or game occurs without it being taped in some fashion.

Posted by UMFan from Denver, Colorado on 09/24/10 at 01:18 PM ET

Alzy's avatar

On a somewhat happier note:

Just purchased two tickets to the Wings/Oilers game on Nov. 5th. I can’t believe there’s as many cheap bastards as me though. I make sure I’m on ticketmaster right at 10 am MDT, looking to score some centre seats in the second level. Well, the first that came up were at an end, last row. So I hit refresh, and next thing I know, nothing. I try again, and I get STO. Then I try again, and the only things popping up are “gold” and “silver” section tickets (aka right around the glass). So I originally went in with a budget of about $120 max a ticket. The ones I just purchased are second row from glass, section 118 on the blueline, in the end the Wings shoot twice at. 251 dollars apiece.

That was a pretty redolent move.

Posted by Alzy from Cambridge, Ontario, Canada on 09/24/10 at 01:23 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

Zetterberg stood up for his goalie via double-fisted smack to the face after Talbot speared Osgood in the chest.  No stick involved, no crosscheck. Malkin jumped Hank and tried to decapitate him with his stick, Wu-Tang sword style. Who was instigating again? Malkin, dumbass.  That’s why he got a penalty for instigating.

Fixt.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 09/24/10 at 01:30 PM ET

DocF's avatar

The point, for those who do not get it, is that Oprik has a long history of dirty hits with intent to end opponent’s careers.  This goes back to before his hit from behind on Erik Cole that broke Cole’s neck.  That was so obviously intentional that Oprik should have received a very long suspension at the very least.  Every year, Oprik manages to inflict an injury to an opponent that results in the opponent missing many games.  This guy needs to become an example of the kind of crap that will not be tolerated.

Good for Big Bert for flailing the evil Oprik.  Now it is essential that the league office nail his ass to the press box seat for at least 30 games.  He has the history to justify even more, but it will be a miracle if he is even politely asked to write a get well soon card to Franzen.  Buttman and his henchmen are a joke.

Doc

Posted by DocF from Now: Lynn Haven, FL; was Reidsville, NC on 09/24/10 at 01:37 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

The league is a know quantity. Even before Lil Gary, the NHL suspension policy was based on the result of an incident rather than the conduct during the incident.

Fortunately for waterpik, Franzen and the Wings responded with honesty and integrity. Franzen and the Wings could have said it was more severe (“We won’t know the full extent of the injury until the swelling subsides and an MRI is taken.”). This would have forced the NHL to suspend waterpik.

There was a deliberate attempt to make knee-knee contact. Only waterpik’s bad aim prevented a catastrophic knee injury. A responsible pro sports league that is genuinely concerned for the health and safety of its players would suspend waterpik. We all know the NHL is not, nor ever has been, that type of league.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 09/24/10 at 01:47 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Jazz hands?  Pete Rose was banned for less.

Posted by monkey from Prague on 09/24/10 at 01:48 PM ET

Keyser S.'s avatar

If it was Gary’s beloved Sid who had a knee-on-knee collision, you can bet all hell would come down from the league. Suspensions, fines, wearing a “G” on your jersey all year (for goon), etc.

Posted by Keyser S. on 09/24/10 at 01:50 PM ET

I love Mike Babcock, and I liked this quote from the Penguins (I don’t know exactly what, he runs all the media or whatever in the new building, here’s his blog)
“Had to run a temporary video cable to get to Detroit’s video coach.  No joke Mike Babcock helped me tape the cable down across the floor. Rivalries aside, that earns him some points.”

Posted by DocF on 09/24/10 at 12:37 PM ET
The point, for those who do not get it, is that Oprik has a long history of dirty hits with intent to end opponent’s careers.”

Please give us at least one more example.

And there has to be video, as some have said each team’s video review, and quite obviously the game was shown on the scoreboard as the game happened. Franzen just dumped the puck, so there must be.

Where did anyone say the league didn’t take a look at the hit? They look at everything.

Posted by NathanBC on 09/24/10 at 01:56 PM ET

monkey's avatar

I will join the minority (amongst Wings fans) and say that I do not believe the Malkin incident was a true “instigator” event.

Posted by monkey from Prague on 09/24/10 at 01:59 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Malkin threw a punch at the back of a guy’s head with his stick still in his hands.

Is he retarded?  Does he glue his stick to his gloves to keep from dropping it while he slashes people?  How do you forget to drop your stuck when throwing that punch?

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 09/24/10 at 02:08 PM ET

I would attribute that to just a guy who’s not been in a fight and obviously doesn’t know how to fight, or for more damage. I’d say the first two, much like men who when they throw a ball or swing a bat, look like another man doing the same, but with his opposite of dominant hand. Semin is another example of a guy who’s not fought before.

Posted by NathanBC on 09/24/10 at 02:13 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

“Drop your stuck” is a euphemism for dropping your stick.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 09/24/10 at 02:14 PM ET

Semin I’d say is another example of “a guy who’s not fought before.”

Posted by NathanBC on 09/24/10 at 02:19 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Posted by monkey from bat country on 09/24/10 at 12:59 PM ET

You and Pen(i)s blog basement dweller above need glasses. Sure looks like Malkin instigated it to me. Here is the video. Hank is standing at the right goal post (goalie’s right). At :08 second, Malkin skates counterclockwise around behind the net and attacks Hank. Contrary to pens douche faulty recollection, the video clearly shows Malkin instigating with the first punch.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 09/24/10 at 02:19 PM ET

scpensfan's avatar

Orpik’s “history of dirty hits” is no longer than your golden boy Kronwall, who leaps for the rafters anytime a player on the opposing team gets near him.  Orpik’s hit on Cole was questionable, for the mere fact that Cole saw orpik coming, and turned into the boards.  Suspension worthy, yes - but Only because orpik forgot to ask Cole to stay still and get hit.  He already committed to the hit, then Cole turned…

Its nothing like leaving your feet on every check.

Posted by scpensfan from South Carolina on 09/24/10 at 02:20 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Oh and you gotta love Satan trying to restrain Hank at one point so Malkin can whail on Hank. Satan quickly thinks better of it and lets go. That should have been a 3rd man in suspension.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 09/24/10 at 02:22 PM ET

Behind_Enemy_Lines's avatar

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 09/24/10 at 01:08 PM ET

In Soviet Russia stick punch you.

Franzen must be so bad ass he is a blur and the refs and video cameras cannot see him. Dicklick and the Western Canadian face slasher both know of this and have used it against us.

Posted by Behind_Enemy_Lines from Evanston,IL on 09/24/10 at 02:29 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal on 09/24/10 at 01:19 PM ET

First off, *#$%@& you for throwing me in with that lot, and secondly, there is absolutely nothing in that video that establishes Malkin as the instigator of anything.  There was a general scrum in front of the net that escalated into a fight between Malkin and Zetterberg.  Whatever.  That kind of shit happens all the time.

Posted by monkey from Prague on 09/24/10 at 02:29 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

um, Amerinadian?

or were you being sarcastic?

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 09/24/10 at 02:30 PM ET

monkey's avatar

I like how the name “Orpik” has evolved so rapidly.

Posted by monkey from Prague on 09/24/10 at 02:33 PM ET