Abel to Yzerman

So Hurtful

Forgive me for being childish, but I couldn’t resist this one.  I’m sure you’ll enjoy it, as well.

“I Freaking Hate The Red Wings”

No, what I hate about the Red Wings are the “fans” that make everything that I just highlighted completely unbearable. The self-entitled, so far up their own team’s recent success that they can’t recall a time when the Red Wings were not a good team…at all. Most of these folks aren’t populating Winging it in Motown. Rather they are populating the comment threads at Puck Daddy and every other general hockey website; they are filling in the seats at Jobing.com Arena in their Niklas Kronwall jerseys with the tags still on and trying to throw an octopus (or more likely a squid because who can even tell the difference) onto the ice of the Coyotes barn. They’ve never stepped foot in Detroit, know nothing about even Steve Yzerman, but are “passionate” about their team…yeah, that’s why I frickin’ hate the Red Wings.

And you know when he really hates us don’t you?  Of course you do. On nights like tonite. Don’t be sad little guppy.  Fans of 29 other teams hate us just like you do, and for the same reasons.  Same reason they hate us in Nashville and St. Louis and Chicago. Same as Toronto and Anaheim, even San Jose where the Cups won’t go.  Those fans hate us because our organ-I-zation is the best on earth and has been for more than twenty years.  Yours is a punchline. Suck it.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

creasemonkey's avatar

My first game at JLA was the last time the Coyotes whimpered out, where I sat behind the goalieS getting slapped for 5 goals in 20 minutes. It was a beautiful sight.

Makes me debate about invading Phoenix next week with my 98 Finals Ozzie sweater. Just to rub the salt in the wound.

Posted by creasemonkey from sweet home san diego on 01/13/12 at 04:42 AM ET

Wah.  Get in line.  Waaay back far behind everyone else.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 01/13/12 at 05:02 AM ET

Chet's avatar

yea. whatev.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 01/13/12 at 07:57 AM ET

Alzy's avatar

You can’t be too mad Master Chief, afterall the dude only has at most a season and a half left to bitch about the Wings owning his Desert Dogs. He’s gotta get his jabs in now.

I love the hate, because we all know when you strip away the “Detroit’s a dump” insults, the jabs about being too soft, Euro and so on, the real reason for the hate, is because we… sorry the Detroit Red Wings, are just plain better than them. And it eats away at them, knowing we’re never going away, because we’re just too damn good.

LET’S GO RED WINGS (exclamation point)

Posted by Alzy from Cambridge, Ontario, Canada on 01/13/12 at 09:51 AM ET

dougie's avatar

I cannot imagine that ANY Wings fan knows nothing about The Captain.

But I have to feel a bit sorry for this Yotes fan.The only real opportunity he has been given this season is practice in discarding Yotes merchandise, after Shane Doan’s hat trick a few nights back.

And yeah, I stole that thought from “Down Goes Brown”, but I thought it was funny enough to repeat.

Posted by dougie on 01/13/12 at 10:10 AM ET

dougie's avatar

Trying to keep last night “pencils up the butt”  theme rolling.

Posted by dougie on 01/13/12 at 10:21 AM ET

Mandingo's avatar

Phoenix Coyotes hockey: TASTE THE EXCITEMENT

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 01/13/12 at 11:16 AM ET

42jeff's avatar

Man…I just never learn…  This’ll probably be deleted over there pretty soon.  smile

Wow. Every team has those bandwagon “WOOO YOUR TEAM SUCKS” fans. Yes….there are even Yotes fans who troll the Wings blogs during game spouting “RED WINGS SUCK”. From a Yotes fan. Truly humorous. Most times we just pat him on his head and send him on his way. It never has been socialy acceptable to pick on a kid while he’s licking the windows.

they are filling in the seats at Jobing.com Arena
Isn’t this something you should be grateful for? Or would you prefer they be empty like usual?

Tsk tsk tsk…boy are the 19 ever going to fee left out. How DARE you forget the most mature group of Wings fans you ever did see over at Able to Yzerman.

And for the record…Peter Gabriel *#$%@& ROCKS!

Don’t Panic!

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 01/13/12 at 11:35 AM ET

I hate people who say “freaking” instead of *#$%@&.

Posted by Garth on 01/13/12 at 11:59 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

I’m HURT that Phoenix writers dislike Wings fans.

Sadly, if it weren’t for Wings fans (and other NHL team fans), Phoenix would not have had a team for the last 2-4 seasons. When I buy licensed NHL merchandise, it helps keep your empty arena open. Keep on biting the hand that feeds.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 01/13/12 at 12:03 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I hate people who say “freaking” instead of *#$%@&.

Posted by Garth on 01/13/12 at 08:59 AM ET

SB Nation has a pretty strict “no f-bombs in your post titles” policy that I was pretty disappointed to learn about.

I’m glad that they’ve hated us for so long; that they’re upset by fans who they’ll happily claim don’t remember anything about hockey before…oh… say… 1996?

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 01/13/12 at 12:13 PM ET

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

“Sadly, if it weren’t for Wings fans (and other NHL team fans), Phoenix would not have had a team for the last 2-4 seasons”

I still contend that if it weren’t for the influx (yep) of transplants (yep, again) that the Nashville Predators would have never existed at all.

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 01/13/12 at 12:24 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

As a Wings fan, a Native Detroiter, and a former Phoenix resident for 13 years, I can say without a doubt, that the Yotes would not even exist if not for the transplanted fans of any hockey club. I was at every game that the Wings played there with my family, and, friends that soon became Wings fans on their own.

But Detroit is a special gem in the crown of franchises that have no true fan base. The fans that constantly help to fill the Jobbing.com arena are the sons and daughters of people like myself that do know their history.

My kids are very lucky to have parents that have schooled and drilled into them the fine tradition of Octopi throwing, or a Gordie Howe hat trick, as well as what the #19 means to all Wings fans of any generation.

#19 was drafted the same year my youngest son was born. So, to say these fans have no knowledge of the Wings, or the game, is just plain stupid.

I can say with all honesty, that my family has 4 generations of knowledgeable Wings fans.
So, the Whiners and Haters can SUCK IT.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 01/13/12 at 12:52 PM ET

awould's avatar

All this Coyotes writer needs to do to learn what a real bandwagon fan is is to go to Jobing.com Arena during a rare playoff game. Suddenly it’s full! What bandwagon fans do not do is go out of their way to attend a game to cheer on a team from out of town. For several years, I would drag my ass 100 miles roundtrip to get to the 2 games Detroit played in town. The arena is so far out west that for most fans in the valley, just getting there graduates you from bandwagons status by default.

Also, pretty much every major sports team in Arizona has nothing but bandwagon fans. It’s mostly because everyone here is from someplace else, and the teams are mostly too new to have gained any real, ingrained following. To get a real solid foundation of die hard fans takes a couple of generations of fans, at least. Which is why the Suns are really the only team that has any passionate fans in town. The Cardinals, Dbacks and Coyotes have all been in town for less than 25 years, which is only slightly longer than Detroit has been dominating the NHL. During that time, all four major sports teams in Phx have brought home 1 championship combined, while the Red Wings have brought home 4. This guy can’t even concieve of what it’s like to be a true fan of a truly great team. Not many people can. Viva la Red Wings!

Posted by awould on 01/13/12 at 01:08 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by creasemonkey from Murph’s flask on 01/13/12 at 01:42 AM ET

Well, I’d do it if you can swing it at all.  The Yotes may soon disappear all together, and if realignment goes off as planned the Wings will only be out to SoCal once a year, not twice.  Opportunities to see the glorious Wings in person for you may disappear quickly.

Besides, in PHX you’ll be surrounded by about 5,000 of your closest friends all wearing the same colors.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 01/13/12 at 01:09 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Mandingo’s photo is one for the ages.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 01/13/12 at 01:11 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Actually, both of Mandingo’s photos…

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 01/13/12 at 01:12 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Thinking about it, this hurtful comment is also particularly amusing because at the HandJobing Arena last March when my daughter and I saw the game, most of the memorabilia for sale in the hallways was Red Wings material… Dozens of autographed pictures in expensive frames, both individual and team, etc..  Very little was of any Coyote piece, due I suppose to the lack of anything to treasure in their history.

After they were eliminated last spring, correction, swept, by the Wings they held a public demostration of support to keep Bettman’s franchise there. About 25 people showed up.  Hell, if I lived anywhere near Glendale I would have shown up to keep the Yotes there just so I could see the Wings in person twice a year.

Truly the large number of Wings fans there was impressive.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 01/13/12 at 01:23 PM ET

rrasco's avatar

Haha…I’m still banned from FFH from the 2010 playoff series.  Apparently I’m allowed to browse but not participate.

You are banned from Five For Howling.

You can browse the blog, but you can’t participate.

Posted by rrasco from TEXAS on 01/13/12 at 07:23 PM ET

rrasco's avatar

And for the record, I drive over 600 miles twice a year to see the boys take the ice.  Tuesday will be one of such trips.  My second this month as a matter of fact.  Last one was a blast, I left my voice for good measure.

Posted by rrasco from TEXAS on 01/13/12 at 07:27 PM ET

Wings_Fan_In_KC's avatar

Five For Howling is run by a bunch of whiny asssed fags who can blow me.  They hate the Red Wings because the Red Wings OWN the Yotes.  They also OWNED the Jets.

They can kiss my “been a Red Wings fan since 1975 when I did live in Detroit” ass.

Posted by Wings_Fan_In_KC from ...somewhere southwest of The Motor City... on 01/15/12 at 04:43 AM ET

Wings_Fan_In_KC's avatar

Oh, and my favorite personal sweater is a #16 Konstantinov.  He was Kronwalling people many years ago but we couldn’t say “Konstantinoving” without sounding like a bee had stung our tongues.

Posted by Wings_Fan_In_KC from ...somewhere southwest of The Motor City... on 01/15/12 at 04:47 AM ET