Abel to Yzerman

Missing Mule

Udpdated 141 PST: More from HSJ.  It’s a hip flexor.  “Should” be ok for Friday, which means he’s probably out for weeks.

Franzen figures he’ll be ready to play Friday, though, when the Wings take on the Oilers.

“It’s been sore for a couple of days, so I’m just taking a day off, see if it settles down,” Franzen said.

Franzen said the injury has been nagging him for a bit and that “it went away but it came back in the game last night.”

Helene St. James doesn’t say why or which BFF sent her the text, but this might not be good…

More from the Freep.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Guilherme's avatar

Oh WTF?

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 11/04/10 at 06:23 PM ET

Sullyosis's avatar

I heard he suffered a head injury when he sneezed really hard.  Probably shouldn’t be snorting things with Happy, Mule.

Posted by Sullyosis from A hateful lair in Post Apocalyptic US (or Arizona) on 11/04/10 at 06:25 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

He still thinks it’s Halloween.  She’ll find him in an hour or two wearing glasses with a red & white striped shirt and hat.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 11/04/10 at 06:29 PM ET

Holy hell…

I pooped./

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 11/04/10 at 06:40 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Khan(!) teaches Helene to work:

EDMONTON, Alberta—Detroit Red Wings forward Johan Franzen didn’t practice Thursday at Rexall Place due to a hip flexor that flared up, but he believes he’ll be able to play Friday against Edmonton (9 p.m., FSN).

“It’s been sore for a couple of days so I took a day off to see if it settles down,’’ Franzen said.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 11/04/10 at 06:41 PM ET

EDJ's avatar

Dear Helmgod,

for the love of all that is good and holy…. and for aspiring pack animals around the world… please don’t let franzen miss any more games.

Posted by EDJ on 11/04/10 at 06:43 PM ET

WingsFaninCO's avatar

Well,

the good news is, that if Mule is out Hudler can get back into the lineup and have a chance to prove that he belongs there

Posted by WingsFaninCO on 11/04/10 at 06:51 PM ET

edillac's avatar

Posted by WingsFaninCO on 11/04/10 at 04:51 PM ET

lol,thats only good if Mule decides to sit one out intentionally

Posted by edillac from isolation on 11/04/10 at 06:55 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Ugh!

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 11/04/10 at 07:11 PM ET

Mandingo's avatar

Bad news.

The hip flexor is like the groing of the upper crotchal region, but slightly offset from the love shank. I read about it on the Medipedia.

Franzen is like a bird’s egg. Is there any way we can just give him 20 coats of lacquer and call it a day? It worked for my dining room table.

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 11/04/10 at 07:14 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Franzen is like a bird’s egg.

That’s why I’m trying not to call him “the Mule” anymore. If I had a mule like him, the pink shot would’ve been used a long time ago.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 11/04/10 at 07:16 PM ET

calquake's avatar

I really hate it when people start talking all medicalally and stuff.

Posted by calquake on 11/04/10 at 07:26 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Yeah, I’m with Herm… how can we call this guy Mule anymore? I mean, he’s strong and big, but only if you don’t touch him…

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 11/04/10 at 07:26 PM ET

Mandingo's avatar

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 11/04/10 at 05:16 PM ET

I’m thinking Barbaro might be a more fitting nickname.

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 11/04/10 at 07:27 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Is that anything like a colored groing?  I love those things.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 11/04/10 at 07:36 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

I’m thinking Barbaro might be a more fitting nickname.

Dude, 8 months from the fracture to the sacrifice? I thought horses were euthanized right there on the track.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 11/04/10 at 07:42 PM ET

pgoody's avatar

Thanks for digging up that lovely story fellas…

Posted by pgoody on 11/04/10 at 07:44 PM ET

edillac's avatar

Posted by Nathan from the chiropractor on 11/04/10 at 05:26 PM ET

cos’ he can carry the load - score when needed - ,
and not because he can take a beating, do you enjoy beating your animals?

Posted by edillac from isolation on 11/04/10 at 08:02 PM ET

calquake's avatar

do you enjoy beating your animals?

Or choking your chicken or spanking your monkey or lashing out at your love shank…  I get your drift.

Posted by calquake on 11/04/10 at 08:09 PM ET

Crater's avatar

Well, i’d be comfortable with Hudler on the 2nd line. He always seemed to do better when he had to play at a higher level. It would be interesting to see if that is still the case. He didn’t play too terrible the last game he was in, just no conversion.

Posted by Crater from SoCal on 11/04/10 at 08:11 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Dress him up in Lidstrom’s EOD suit from last year?

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 11/04/10 at 08:26 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Fuch - - Mule injured.

I get wanting to change his nickname and all - - but I caution against that - - b/c I believe it was “The Captain” himself who coined that one - - and you never fuch with that mojo, never.

On a much more positive note:

Defenseman Brian Rafalski participated in his first full practice Thursday since having his right knee scoped on Oct. 12.

“If I’m feeling good Monday, I’ll take it from there,’’ Rafalski said. “Monday’s a possibility. I don’t know what the odds are. Thursday for sure.’’

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 11/04/10 at 08:37 PM ET

monkey's avatar

spanking your monkey

Now that’s what I’m talking about.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 11/04/10 at 08:38 PM ET

spanking your monkey

Too bad that website is gone.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 11/04/10 at 08:42 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

cos’ he can carry the load - score when needed - ,
and not because he can take a beating, do you enjoy beating your animals?

Way to be literal, dude. I’m not into beating animals (?), but mules are known for carrying a lot of weight and being very resistent (and stubborn, but that’s another story). My point (a joke, by the way), is that Franzén never gets more than 15 games going without some body part breaking down.

Yeah, apparently Stevie said he can “carry the load”. (can he?)

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 11/04/10 at 09:12 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Well, I’d be comfortable with Hudler on the 2nd line. He always seemed to do better when he had to play at a higher level.

I remember it differently. He would torch the tavern for a while on the third line and then disappoint everyone on his stint on the second.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 11/04/10 at 09:15 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

All that talk about 2 goals for or 3 goals against between HTT and Chief got a little complicated.

Hell, it doesn’t take an Einstein to figure… wait, maybe it does.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 11/04/10 at 09:33 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Never trust wikipedia. I found Mule articles as old as March ‘08. There’s this one from April that year with The Captain himself talking: “He’s big and strong and he reminded me of a mule that day,” Yzerman recalled Friday. That’s from after game 1 against Denver that year.

The nickname itself was born in ‘05, apparently.

(and my point still stands. it may not be the reason why he’s called the Mule, but mules are strong and resistant. and oh what-the-fuch, I need to shut up)

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 11/04/10 at 09:34 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

upper crotchal region

Damn

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 11/04/10 at 09:53 PM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

Hell, it doesn’t take an Einstein to figure… wait, maybe it does.
Posted by RWBill from boarding The Hasek, beer me v00x! on 11/04/10 at 07:33 PM ET

That is terrific;;;
I love it….and now I am in trouble….it is gonna last longer than 4 hrs…
Do I really need to call a doctor…?

Please….
Keep that around, Bill, it is going to need re-posting from time to time.

Thank you.

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 11/05/10 at 12:06 AM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

Keep that around, Bill, it is going to need re-posting from time to time.

Thank you.

concur. funny stuff.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 11/05/10 at 12:09 AM ET

Sullyosis's avatar

An answer to all your Mule Nickname Woes, 19.

And yes, Calquake, that one’s especially for you.

Posted by Sullyosis from A hateful lair in Post Apocalyptic US (or Arizona) on 11/05/10 at 12:45 AM ET

Behind_Enemy_Lines's avatar

Posted by Sullyosis from A hateful lair in Post Apocalyptic US (or Arizona) on 11/04/10 at 10:45 PM ET

Magnifico Giganticus hahahahahaha:

In his hands the Visi Sonor not only creates exquisite sounds, but colors, shapes and with the Mule’s mental ability, emotion. The Mule disguised as Magnifico Giganticus uses his concerts and fame to brain wash everyone.

Posted by Behind_Enemy_Lines from the Big House,January1,2013. on 11/05/10 at 02:00 PM ET