Abel to Yzerman

Live Blogging A Dynasty…The Road To 12. Game 1.

The last time we saw this team they’d clawed from an impossible deficit, only to fall short to an enemy that would—naturally—bow out the following round.  Again.  Like previous years, I can barely remember the last game. I’ve blocked it out because that’s what you do when you have 27 series clinching games to recall instead of the bad stuff.  And that’s just back to 1996.

Think about that.  27 times you’ve enjoyed a series clinching game.  Just as a point of reference, not to be mean or pretend I’m pharmacist-smart or anything…but in that span of time, Blues fans have seen 5 clinching games.  5.  Now that’s just a fun conversation to have.

And so we begin another one tonite, another season where the only reasonable expectation is the ultimate one.  You’re like no other fan base.  If you want to go back to 1994, you’ve literally expected a Stanley Cup every single year.  Who can say that?  Nobody. Nobody but you.  Legitimate Stanley Cup contenders every year.  Favorites going into the playoffs. Every…Single…Year.

Revel in it. Flaunt it. Remind others of it with a single raised eyebrow and a knowing grin. Rub it in because don’t doubt for a second that they wish for your sadness. They dream of it.

There are teams in our town succeeding right now and they’re doing so despite years of futility. It’s an awesome time to be a fan in Detroit.

We’re watching the Tigers and the Lions in amazement, because we’re just not used to them…winning like that.

And then there’s the dynasty just down the street.  Which street?

Frigging Woodward, where the parades live.

Here we go. The Road to 12.  Live blog it Bitches.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 3 >  Last ›      Next »

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Uh, Master Chief, I have expected a Stanley Cup every year for as long as I can remember.

I was born in 1953, so, I guess my expectations are very high. I do not recall the exact day I became a Wingaholic, but, I am sure that I was underage.

Let’s Roll.Bitches.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 10/07/11 at 08:14 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

I can see the cup coming down Woodward now.  Thanks for the pep talk Chief.  LGRW!

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 10/07/11 at 08:18 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

(oh look, another post)

The waiting drove me mad
You’re finally here and I’m a mess

Chief is back, A2Y’s back, hockey is back.

Shame it’s my cousin’s birthday and I’ll miss the game…

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 10/07/11 at 08:22 PM ET

Thank you Chief for the grandest words of a fan .  . . .

Boy,  I’d like to see you do that speech live.

Go Wings

Posted by bobbo from Romeo, Michigan on 10/07/11 at 08:28 PM ET

FranzensMouthguard's avatar

Welcome Back, My Friends, to the Show That Never Ends.

Posted by FranzensMouthguard from Chicago, IL on 10/07/11 at 08:32 PM ET

Since71's avatar

FSD pre-game is on.

Posted by Since71 from Bucharest, Romania on 10/07/11 at 08:36 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

Oh, it’s good to see all of your ugly mugs again, bitches. I got my Sam Adams Octoberfest beer ready and I’m ready to roll. DTPA!

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 10/07/11 at 08:39 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

Oh, and for those that have no way to see it on TV, there are several links to watch it on the pc, as stated above.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 10/07/11 at 08:40 PM ET

Trish's avatar

Hi gang, I’m so happy I’m able to use my RedWingsLive feed in this crappy hotel.
Drop the damn puck(!)
LGRW

Posted by Trish from Tampa/Clearwater FL on 10/07/11 at 08:42 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Drinking Stroh’s here.  Little Caesars pizza in the kitchen… must be a Wings game day.  LGRW!

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 10/07/11 at 08:45 PM ET

PuckStopsHere's avatar

The National Hockey League recognizes nine Stanley Cup dynasties in the Hockey Hall of Fame:

Ottawa Senators of 1919–27 (4 championships in 8 years) 1920, 1921, 1923, 1927
Toronto Maple Leafs of 1947–51 (4 championships in 5 years) 1947, 1948, 1949, 1951
Detroit Red Wings of 1950–55 (4 championships in 6 years) 1950, 1952, 1954, 1955
Montreal Canadiens of 1956–60 (5 consecutive championships) 1956–1960
Toronto Maple Leafs of 1962–67 (4 championships in 6 years) 1962, 1963, 1964, 1967
Montreal Canadiens of 1965–69 (4 championships in 5 years) 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969
Montreal Canadiens of 1975–79 (4 consecutive championships) 1976–1979
New York Islanders of 1980–84 (4 consecutive championships) 1980–1983
Edmonton Oilers of 1984–90 (5 championships in 7 years) 1984, 1985, 1987, 1988, 1990

Which one are you live blogging?

Posted by PuckStopsHere on 10/07/11 at 08:49 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Mike Babcock still looks like the Green Goblin to me… I hope he drills Joe Thornton with a pumpkin this year.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 10/07/11 at 08:50 PM ET

SnLO's avatar

there are several links to watch it on the pc

Or smart phone for those of us in remote locations with access to neither tv nor pc. Not going to be on the lb due to using the phone to watch the game. Damn phone can only do one thing at a time.

Let’s get this season started on the right track with putting one in the win column.

Posted by SnLO from the Northern Guard on 10/07/11 at 08:50 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by PuckStopsHere on 10/07/11 at 06:49 PM ET

You’re so cute when you’re angry.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 10/07/11 at 08:51 PM ET

Surfer Ken's avatar

Welcome back Chief and my 19 fake friends.  Here we go again, a whole long season to 12.  Lets get this mother fkr going.

Posted by Surfer Ken from San Clemente on 10/07/11 at 08:51 PM ET

Forlorn in VA's avatar

Posted by PuckStopsHere on 10/07/11 at 06:49 PM ET

Why are you here trolling?

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 10/07/11 at 08:53 PM ET

Trish's avatar

Posted by PuckStopsHere

Take off you hoser . . .

Posted by Trish from Tampa/Clearwater FL on 10/07/11 at 08:55 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

As the Old Milwaukee TV commercial use to say ...“it doesn’t get any better than this”...

It’s Friday night, the Tigers have dispatched the yankees, it’s opening night for the Wings, and the Chief is posting once again!!

Welcome back sailor !!  Welcome back everyone !!  Let the march to 12 begin.!!!!

Posted by Down River Dan on 10/07/11 at 08:55 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Which one are you live blogging?

The best one.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 10/07/11 at 08:59 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Posted by PuckStopsHere on 10/07/11 at 06:49 PM ET

The Troll Stops Here needs hits.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 10/07/11 at 09:01 PM ET

PuckStopsHere's avatar

Which one are you live blogging?

The best one.

Ahh.  Montreal Canadiens of 1956–60 (5 consecutive championships) 1956–1960

Posted by PuckStopsHere on 10/07/11 at 09:02 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

The best one.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 10/07/11 at 06:59 PM ET

+19.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 10/07/11 at 09:02 PM ET

Gabriel's avatar

Sup peeps?  Did I hear hear Don Cherry was wearing #11?

Posted by Gabriel from San Diego, CA on 10/07/11 at 09:03 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

He spells his name is What A Friggin Idiot.

Back to something that matters, Let’s Go Red Wings!

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 10/07/11 at 09:03 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by PuckStopsHere on 10/07/11 at 07:02 PM ET

Must be boring in your mom’s basement eh?

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 10/07/11 at 09:04 PM ET

TheRealYooper's avatar

Man it sure is hard to get off the phone tonight. Talking to my mom, and trying to explain to her the game starts soon and i have to go, and she keeps going on, and on, and on, and on…

Placed the phone down and got the game on. better go check and see if she is still there or not, hope she does not think i was rude or anything. I mean, a guy has got to have his priority right?

Posted by TheRealYooper from within sight of the edge of the Earth. on 10/07/11 at 09:06 PM ET

dougie's avatar

Whodathunk my first post on this live blog would be a reminder to not feed the trolls.

The poor schmuck is probably hearing crickets over at his place, and needs some attention.

Now, drop the damn puck.

Posted by dougie on 10/07/11 at 09:07 PM ET

Honoring the McCrimmon family—all class, as always.

Posted by heyheyhockeytown on 10/07/11 at 09:07 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Pavs is tearing up. Nice tribute.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 10/07/11 at 09:08 PM ET

Gabriel's avatar

Not Salei?

Posted by Gabriel from San Diego, CA on 10/07/11 at 09:08 PM ET

Forlorn in VA's avatar

Is it dusty in here?

Posted by dougie on 10/07/11 at 07:07 PM ET

I bet you’re right, I know I made sure I never see his blog posts as soon as Paul made that feature available.

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 10/07/11 at 09:09 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

it’s all about family ...

#2

#24

... amen.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 10/07/11 at 09:10 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Seeing the MacCrimmons was a tear jerker, my hearts goes out to them.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 10/07/11 at 09:11 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Whodathunk

I just know that The Reason one… what else can you indicate me?

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 10/07/11 at 09:11 PM ET

TheRealYooper's avatar

the singing of the nations songs. drop the puck eh?

lgrw!

Posted by TheRealYooper from within sight of the edge of the Earth. on 10/07/11 at 09:12 PM ET

jennyquarx's avatar

Hey everyone!

Budd Lynch was awesome.

The memorial thing was so sad.  So nice but sad. :(

Posted by jennyquarx on 10/07/11 at 09:13 PM ET

dougie's avatar

Whodathunk

I just know that The Reason one… what else can you indicate me?

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 10/07/11 at 07:11 PM ET

Most definitely.

Posted by dougie on 10/07/11 at 09:14 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Whisky ready

Posted by RWBill from lead guitarist for The Pompous Dicks. on 10/07/11 at 09:18 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

MURPH

I missed that grin

grin

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 10/07/11 at 09:18 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

Evening Bitches.

Goddam it’s great to have the Master Chief and the Wings back.

LGRW

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 10/07/11 at 09:19 PM ET

1 2 3 >  Last ›      Next »