Abel to Yzerman

Pens Fans and A2Y:  The Surprises Keep On Comin’

This is the Live Blog, and I changed the post title…which is going to make Paul crazy and screw up your feeds and all that.  A note and reason why at the bottom.

In sixty minutes Mrs. Iwo and I are climbing in the Chief Mobile and headed north to the Staples Center.  We’re going to watch the Wings. They’re going to win.  A serial killer will re-emerge, so will a couple Swedes.  Jim Howard will be brilliant, and I probably will be as well.

But that’s not the story, the whole story anyway.  Check this out.

This is the text of an email I got about two months ago:

I’m writing you from up the road in Los Angeles. I’m in charge of a couple pairs of Kings season tickets, and as a thank you for your service to the country and as an acknowledgment of your antagonistic and excellent blogs I’d like to offer you my pair of “downstairs” tickets for the Wings at Kings game at Staples Center on Saturday 11/19 at 1:00 p.m. In this case “downstairs” means the 16th row in Section 111, which is center ice. I share my tickets with a loose configuration of folks and I’m bringing one of the 19 as a guest and using the “upstairs” seats for this game.

Since you probably don’t get many readers who are not one of the 19 offering you tickets to games, here’s a bit about me: I’ve been a Kings fan since moving to LA in 2002 and adopting them as my Western Conference team, I’m originally from Pittsburgh and first and foremost have been a Penguins fan since the late 70s. I was as disappointed as you were that our teams did not get to have the “Clubber Lang” round in 2010, but two straight trips to the Finals followed by the Olympics will do that. Maybe it’ll happen this season if the Kings don’t get in the way.

Anyway, please let me know if you’d like the tickets, and thanks again.

Amazing, eh?  And so we’re taking him up on that today.  You look back at why you do something like this, blog about hockey, and the reasons don’t include generosity like that.  But when it happens, I have to take a step back and shake my head.  What a gesture.

So we’re LA bound and the beers are on me.

For the rest of you…it’s a Live Blog bitches.

IwoNote:  I should have mentioned this at the start, but didn’t.  This isn’t the first, or even third or fourth, instance of friendship between this blog and Pens fans.  It started back in 2008, under the craziest circumstances, and it’s continued.  The PensBlog guys are readers of this blog and frequent hilarious antagonists of mine over email.  We all know Tony and what he’s meant to KK and us over the years.  And there are more than a few Pens fans commenters here at A2Y who are always welcome, despite their allegiance to the team who is our most legitimate rival when you consider the high stakes.  Just an interesting relationship between us and them. One that could have been pretty ugly (like the dick Blues fans), but has somehow turned out differently.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 3 >  Last ›      Next »

redxblack's avatar

That guy might give Tony (from The Confluence) a run for the title of “Classiest Penguins Fan.” Kudos to him, to the 19, to St. Lidstrom and the entire Organ-i-zation.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 11/19/11 at 01:49 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Have a wonderful time, Chief and Mrs. Chief!

LET’S GO RED WINGS !!!!!

Posted by MsRedWinger from the State where Tigers roam in the Spring on 11/19/11 at 01:50 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

What a treat! Looks like a great day to hit the road to LA.

LGRW !!!!!

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, fanning the flames, with rum..... on 11/19/11 at 01:56 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Spec-Friggin-Tacular!  Kudos to the season ticket holder and I’d like to tell him thank you somehow.. Thanks to him for keeping the larger, big-boy issues in perspective that allow us the freedom to engage in this juvenilicity in our free time.

Enjoy the day and the game.  And may the RedWings wake up from this apparent Stanley Cup Hangover.

Posted by RWBill from lead guitarist for The Pompous Dicks. on 11/19/11 at 01:58 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Rumbear, nice fireside chat, without the chat!

Posted by RWBill from lead guitarist for The Pompous Dicks. on 11/19/11 at 02:03 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Too cool, Master Chief. Enjoy!

And may I also again Thank You! for your service to ensure our freedoms.
The generousity gesture of Americans noted above is what makes this country great and the sacrafices of our service personnel and their families is what keeps it that way.

now, ...

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 11/19/11 at 02:23 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

We’re going to watch the Wings. They’re going to win

You better hope so.  It just wouldn’t do to have the Gamewrecker mantle hanging around the blog founder, now would it?

Enjoy the day, sailor.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 11/19/11 at 02:26 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

Awesome stuff Chief.  I know for a fact that the abysmal trolls who roam this and other hockey blogs.  Having seen Wings games in many different venues, I can’t tell you how many post-game drinks I’ve bought and how many have been bought for me at various watering holes where hockey fans gather before or after games.

On the other hand, we’ve been cursed at, told that Detroit is a shit-hole and that anyone who comes from there is sub-human—ah but I digres.  san jose was the exception after all, not the rule.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 11/19/11 at 02:41 PM ET

Datfan's avatar

Great gesture, enjoy the game.  Wings win 3 - 1.

Posted by Datfan on 11/19/11 at 02:44 PM ET

DATFAN : If they win 3-1 I will buy you beer….any predictions on who might be on the scoresheet?

Go Wings!!!!

Posted by Nathalie from Montreal on 11/19/11 at 02:46 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

fixt

I know for a fact that the abysmal trolls who roam this and other hockey blogs don’t represent the majority of hockey gans

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 11/19/11 at 02:47 PM ET

Andy from FightNight's avatar

Kudos to that Pens fan. Classy thing to do.

Have fun at the game, Chief, hope they bother to play like they mean it and give you something to cheer for!

Posted by Andy from FightNight on 11/19/11 at 02:48 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

gans=fans

shit,.  it’s early and i clearly need coffee.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 11/19/11 at 02:50 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

I’m in charge of a couple pairs of Kings season tickets, and as a thank you for your service to the country and as an acknowledgment of your antagonistic and excellent blogs I’d like to offer you my pair of “downstairs” tickets…

Every once and a while something happens that reminds all of us that there really are “loyalties” that go beyond hockey. This guy clearly gets the concept of “country (and service to it) beyond all else.” A full salute to him for that.

And if a well-turned phrase like “your antagonistic and excellent blogs” doesn’t deserve to be in the righthand column, I don’t know what does. This guy’s words and his generosity need to be there for others to see every day.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 11/19/11 at 03:50 PM ET

Anytime you want to get together for some steak and beer let me know… Bring the steak and beer.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 11/19/11 at 03:54 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Great stuff, chief.  Just shows that hockey fans are in general fantastic people.

It really has been strange with Pens fans though. There are plenty o’dickbags amongst ‘em, but I probably know more good, decent pens fans on the Gore than fans of any other team.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 11/19/11 at 03:56 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

So awesome, Chief. Enjoy.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 11/19/11 at 03:58 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

From Gretzky’s mouth to Lemieux’s ear ...or something like that.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 11/19/11 at 03:59 PM ET

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

“plenty o’dickbags”

Didn’t that guy play for the Bruins in the 1970s?

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 11/19/11 at 04:01 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

So we’re LA bound and the beers are on me.

For the rest of you…it’s a Live Blog bitches.

Hi-de-ho, bitches. Here’s to a good outing for the Winged Wheel since our Master Chief and his bride will be in attendance.

And Master Chief, please do not embarrass Mrs.Master Chief. And, to the Wings, do not embarrass our Master Chief and his bride.

Let’s Roll.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 11/19/11 at 04:41 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Bertuzzi comes off of IR, White goes on IR.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 11/19/11 at 05:05 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Bertuzzi comes off of IR, White goes on IR.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 11/19/11 at 02:05 PM ET

>>> BOOM <<<

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 11/19/11 at 05:43 PM ET

Primis's avatar

You’ve earned it Master Chief, enjoy.

Now for the Wings to hold up their end of the bargain and play like something other than a bag of steaming dog crap.

My son’s basketball team got SMOKED today by like 30 points, which is impressive considering most of the time neither team even reaches 30 points for the game.  Their problem?  Playing uninspired, and taking bad shot after bad shot behind the arc and then failing to get back to play defense on breaks.  It was like watching the Wings.  And it was *infuriating*.  They even had a Bertuzzi today—making bad fouls and basically refusing to play defense.

Hey Chief that reminds me…. you don’t suppose they can fit a full sheet o’ ice on that flight deck, can they?.....  Hmmmm….

Posted by Primis on 11/19/11 at 05:48 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Enjoy the game Chief.  I take my hat off to the Pens nation today, classy move.

LGRW

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 11/19/11 at 05:55 PM ET

Little Redhead's avatar

SWEET~Chief and the Mrs. Enjoy-You deserve it!

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Little Redhead from the Engineer's chair on 11/19/11 at 05:57 PM ET

edillac's avatar

great starting time,at 11PM here,
hope someone does something special today and ignites the team,
or maybe all of them just need glasses.
Anyway,this is a must win,LAK have my hometown hero Kopitar,and most people jumped on the Kings bandwagon,so imagine the crap I could be hearing tomorow if we lose.

Wings win 4:2,Big Error scores one

Posted by edillac from isolation on 11/19/11 at 06:32 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Wings win 4:2,Big Error scores one

Into which net?

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 11/19/11 at 06:34 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

ouch

looks like they put merpff in the nose bleed section

steady, big guy, steady.

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 11/19/11 at 06:40 PM ET

edillac's avatar

Into which net?

yeah,maybe I should shut my .....

Posted by edillac from isolation on 11/19/11 at 06:43 PM ET

dougie's avatar

I just ate 4 hot dogs, and drank a half gallon of 8.5% English Ale. Got another half gallon in the fridge.

No guarantees on how this “voice of reason” thing is gonna work out.

Posted by dougie on 11/19/11 at 06:48 PM ET

TheRealYooper's avatar

all west coast games should start at 4pm eastern time. then the west coast swing would not be too bad.

must be winter. have been getting an inch or two of snow every day now. ‘cept for tonight and sunday. 4-8 is called for. guess hard water fishing is just around the corner.

Posted by TheRealYooper from within sight of the edge of the Earth. on 11/19/11 at 07:01 PM ET

Gabriel's avatar

An epic gesture by Master Chief’s Secret Santa, made even…uhhh…epic-er…(?)...by the fact that most fans of West Coast teams tend to despise the large turnout of Wings fans in their buildings.  Very, very cool of him.

Posted by Gabriel from San Diego, CA on 11/19/11 at 07:03 PM ET

AndrewFromAnnArbor's avatar

No guarantees on how this “voice of reason” thing is gonna work out.

Monkey’s become our Moral Compass, but the job’s still open for an Arbiter of Decency.  And provided you didn’t steal that beer, you’ve already got a clear advantage over most of the candidates.

Tap o’ the stick to a classy fan of the Pens.  No surprise that he remembers the lean years, and hence is a more tempered and magnanimous fellow than those too young to follow the widely-accepted grammatical rules of American English.  To those who have known nothing but winning…it’s so much sweeter when you know the sting of losing.

Enjoy yourself, Chief.  It’s well-deserved.  Show the lady a good time, but more importantly, hope the team shows you a good time.

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 11/19/11 at 07:04 PM ET

Gabriel's avatar

And provided you didn’t steal that beer

Or brew it himself in the tub out back.

Posted by Gabriel from San Diego, CA on 11/19/11 at 07:07 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Z… WTH?  Givaway in yur own zone?

Posted by calquake on 11/19/11 at 07:10 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Or brew it himself in the tub out back.

Posted by Gabriel from San Diego, CA on 11/19/11 at 04:07 PM ET

“moon shine”?

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 11/19/11 at 07:10 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 11/19/11 at 04:10 PM ET

Looks more like an ass-teroid to me. cheese

Posted by calquake on 11/19/11 at 07:11 PM ET

Gabriel's avatar

Looks more like an ass-teroid to me

I think that’s one of the moons of Uranus, no?

Posted by Gabriel from San Diego, CA on 11/19/11 at 07:12 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Sorry I’m late. How we lookin today?

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 11/19/11 at 07:13 PM ET

calquake's avatar

I think that’s one of the moons of Uranus, no?

A self-portrait if you will.

Posted by calquake on 11/19/11 at 07:13 PM ET