Abel to Yzerman

I’ll Take A Cup Of Mitchell While We’re At It

In The Caine Mutiny?  Ensign Keith’s name was Willie.  He was kind of a candy-ass. An uppercruster and a perfect portrayal of an officer who would get eaten alive in the fleet.

Willie Mitchell is no ensign.  He likes to hit people.  He likes to hit them hard and I’d like him to hit people who wish the Wings harm.  And I’d like him to do that for the next few years with new BFF’s Nik Kronwall and Brad Stuart.

Rumors, one cultivated by the Emperor himself (in the comments), indicate Detroit may be in the running.  I find it hard to fathom an economic situation that would allow it.  But…

...if so?

The Wings would be blasting MF’ers.  Kronwall and Stuart.  Mitchell and…whoever.  Johnny?  A change of pace and a few rushes with TPH and Rafalski, then it’s back to hammering bitches.

Can Detroit afford this thing?  Probably not, but all the cool kids are saying it’s down to the Wings and 3 other teams.  Mitchell will probably play for relatively cheap considering the concussion he’s trying to prove is no longer a factor.  We’d have to deal some salary, etc, etc.

Is it realistic? I’d say no chance in hell. But as long as others are discussing it, and as long as the only others aren’t wedding singers, we may as well too.

Come to Hockeytown Willie.  We can’t pay you much, but a parade’s a comin’.  And everybody loves one of those, you know?

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

GrahamWIIM's avatar

Willie, here’s the deal. You can take millions from the Sharks or Caps, and flame out in the first round. Or you can take millions from the Canucks and flame out in the second round.

Or, you can accept league minimum, play on the same team as the Best Defenseman in the NHL (eat it, Dater) and be part of a fancy little party with floats and lots of people and shiny new objects in June while wearing a fantastic looking sweater.

Your call.

Posted by GrahamWIIM from Chicago via Toronto on 08/03/10 at 10:39 AM ET

MarkK's avatar

no chance in hell…

Then it’s a done deal.

... 46 days to training camp….

Posted by MarkK from Maryland on 08/03/10 at 10:44 AM ET

Chris from NOHS's avatar

Parades are fun.  Do it Willie.

Free blade tape too.

Posted by Chris from NOHS from Columbus, OH/Grand Rapids, MI on 08/03/10 at 10:51 AM ET

edillac's avatar

how the *#$%@& could that be possible?

Posted by edillac from isolation on 08/03/10 at 11:05 AM ET

Leo_Racicot's avatar

This would be massive.  They’ve got a surplus of forwards once Helm and Abdelkader are signed, wonder if something could be brewing.

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 08/03/10 at 11:06 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

For this to happen, some guys are gonna have to get traded.

Mitchell can poke check the other team’s goalie from the neutral zone with the stick he uses.

My brain hurts from processing the Modano thing, I can’t even fathom this.  I’m glad Ken Holland is much smarter than I am.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 08/03/10 at 11:32 AM ET

Osrt's avatar

Sour news Jack. He’s already like Enigma. The hair, the apathy, the mystery as to what he’s going to bring.

Posted by IwoCPO

I hope you’re wrong. He brings speed, diminished skills and a great amount of experience to teach the youngsters that there is no better place to play than Detroit. Perfect for the third line.

Big Willie Style? That would be sweet, but yea, not sure how that’s at all possible.

Posted by Osrt on 08/03/10 at 11:40 AM ET

Guilherme's avatar

If it fits, why not?

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 08/03/10 at 11:49 AM ET

AndrewFromAnnArbor's avatar

The Port McNeill, B.C., native has narrowed it down to four teams including the Canucks; the other teams are believed to be the Red Wings, Sharks and Capitals.

Screw Willa’s Wife.  I want my Willie.  If we get him, I’ll call him Kinmont Willie because this whole mess started out in Scotland, apparently.  And if Mikey Mo and/or Turckey are still there by the time I’m up there in a few weeks, I’ll find ‘em and try to reason with ‘em.  Or beat them.  Whatever works.

Look, I started out pimping Mitchell against Modano.  Still holding fast to the position because I’m a bullheaded SOB.  Do it Kenny.  Tell Modano to haul his waffling ass somewhere else, and get us Big Willie.

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 08/03/10 at 12:06 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 08/03/10 at 11:06 AM ET

I suspected you like the Big Willie every now and then.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 08/03/10 at 12:10 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

I’ve closeted myself in a stall at work (again) reading Chief’s threads this morning, biting my finger to keep from chuckling out loud so they won’t hear me and wonder what’s goin’ on behind that door.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 08/03/10 at 12:14 PM ET

I find it hard to fathom an economic situation that would allow it.

It could have happened before Kenny decided to go out and sign a decrepit old skeleton of a man to play the third line.

Why would he want to accept league minimum when we’re shelling out over a million for a big-choppered mummy?

Posted by Garth on 08/03/10 at 12:27 PM ET

My favourite Willie Mitchell moment: Here

Posted by NathanBC on 08/03/10 at 12:32 PM ET

AndrewFromAnnArbor's avatar

I suspected you like the Big Willie every now and then.

I really can’t keep from thinking about the Big Wilie whenever I see the mouth on Choppers.  I just wonder how anybody could prefer Big Mouth over Big Willie.  Besides, I’m not the only one who wants to see Big Willie in the red.  There are quite a few other people here who want Big Willie in our locker room.

Precisely.  Economically, it probably can’t happen if he wants Willa’s Wife too, but if Kenny declines on that front, there’s space for Kinmont Wilie without having to make any trades, and he won’t further the logjam at forward.  Plus, with him stabilizing the third pairing, his minutes can be limited.  And if Big E rebounds and Kindl proves to be dependable, he can even rest a few games and be ready to hit bitches left and right when the playoffs roll around.

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 08/03/10 at 12:56 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

I’d say no chance in hell….

Gotta agree with MarKK…. the odds are in our favor.

RW…you painted a picture in my mind that I did not need.  Unless you are in the ladies room ...

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, with 3 fingers of rum & a cigar.. on 08/03/10 at 12:59 PM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

Leave Mitchell on the fence until there is no chance in hell of signing Lilja.

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 08/03/10 at 01:25 PM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

No way Mitchell comes to Detroit.  I’d love it, but there’s just no way.

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 08/03/10 at 01:31 PM ET

GrahamWIIM's avatar

Posted by HockeyTownTodd from A. K. A. NostraGrampus on 08/03/10 at 12:25 PM ET

Leave Mitchell on the fence until there is no chance in hell of signing Lilja.

Hasn’t the Lilja ship already sailed? I thought he was done as a Wing.

Posted by GrahamWIIM from Chicago via Toronto on 08/03/10 at 01:44 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Screw Modano, I’d rather have Mitchell.  I’d rather have Mitchell than Lilja as well.

Willie over Willa any day.

Posted by Primis on 08/03/10 at 01:45 PM ET

Animal Drew's avatar

Willie…take a million dollars and come win the Cup.  You’ll have plenty more chances to destroy Jonathan Taves and even have a chance to knock out another one of Alexandre Burrows’ teeth…you know you want to.

Posted by Animal Drew from A Nightmare on Helm Street on 08/03/10 at 01:50 PM ET

Cliff's avatar

Sign Modano for $1.25M.
Sign Helm for $1.0M.
Sign Abdekkader for $850,000.
Trade/Waive Drew Miller.
Trade/Waive Ritola.
Trade/Waive Meech.
Sign Willie Mitchell for $1.25M.

Remaining Cap Space:  $574,624.

Wings start season with 13 Forwards, 7 Def, 2 G.

Posted by Cliff on 08/03/10 at 01:52 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

I think it is hilarious that:
A) You’re all second-guessing Ken Holland. Haven’t we learned not to do this?

B) You’re worried about a $1.25 million/1 year deal for a guy that fits the mold of the type of veteran player that has worked out well for this club for the last 15 seasons. If this were a multi-year pact or really meant they wouldn’t be able to sign Abdelkader and Helm, then yes, I’d have my panties in a bunch. But this is about as close as you get to “no risk, high reward” when signing a player in free agency.

C) People think Willie Mitchell is a difference maker. I’d love to have him, but face it, he’s going to cost twice as much as Lilja, and isn’t twice as good. Kindl’s gotta get ice time, and Big Rig deserves a chance to overcome his tough season. It’s not surprising that a kid that’s only been playing D for a few years had a tough go in his first full NHL season…

What happened to “In Kenny We Trust?” Didn’t that used to be our motto around here? It’s still mine.

If you really want to flip out, look at the fact that Kris Draper, god bless him, is going to eat $1.5 million of our cap space this season. That’s the biggest salary-related problem Kenny Holland has considering Drapes may not even crack the lineup regularly this year.

This team and cap has been disgustingly well managed by Holland and the Braintrust. Consider the cap crunch that teams like the Devils, Flames, Wild, Leafs, and Senators are under. Then consider that none of those teams are even remotely close to being as deep, talented, and experienced as the Wings.

Now that you’ve thought that through, put your trust back in Kenny, support Mikey Mo, and let’s enjoy the season.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 08/03/10 at 01:55 PM ET

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

“Sign Modano for $1.25M.
Sign Helm for $1.0M.
Sign Abdekkader for $850,000.
Trade/Waive Drew Miller.
Trade/Waive Ritola.
Trade/Waive Meech.
Sign Willie Mitchell for $1.25M.”

I’d sign Modano for $1.25M
Sign Helm for $1.0M
Sign Abdelkader for $850,000
Trade Draper
Trade Meech
Send Ritola to Grand Rapids
Sign Willie Mitchell for $1.25M
Keep Drew Miller in case of injury (Seriously, can’t he take Draper’s “skate fast, hit the goalie in the chest” role??)

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 08/03/10 at 02:16 PM ET

Animal Drew's avatar

Trade Draper?

Seriously?

Posted by Animal Drew from A Nightmare on Helm Street on 08/03/10 at 02:26 PM ET

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

“Trade Draper?

Seriously?”

It’s not ideal, but if Kenny is serious about going and getting Willie Mitchell, then yeah. If not, then no big deal.  Draper’s cap hit is high, imo for what he’s been bringing to the table lately.

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 08/03/10 at 02:28 PM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

I’ll shit a baby bear if Kenny trades Draper.

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 08/03/10 at 02:32 PM ET

Animal Drew's avatar

Trade Draper

Chris…I love ya…but no….just….no.

Posted by Animal Drew from A Nightmare on Helm Street on 08/03/10 at 02:36 PM ET

Leo_Racicot's avatar

@ Cliff and Chris in Hell….

How does Helm justifiably get 1m in the market this summer?  Curious to know where you’re baselining that figure from.

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 08/03/10 at 02:40 PM ET

GrahamWIIM's avatar

Trade Draper? Besides the fact that he still has a fairly important role on the team, who would take him at that salary? There are a bunch of fast guys out there looking for work, and most of them will be cheaper and younger.

Posted by GrahamWIIM from Chicago via Toronto on 08/03/10 at 02:45 PM ET

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

I see I’ve touched a nerve.  It was just a suggestion.

@Leo Racicot: for me, it’s just a round number.

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 08/03/10 at 02:46 PM ET

perfection's avatar

i just posted about this in the other Modano thread… i totally agree that Draper is the odd man out. It’s his last year of his contract, he’s 40, his skills have been made obsolete by the likes of Helm, Eaves, and Miller, and even his experience and leadership is a wash with Modano coming in. plus, as mentioned above, he’s slotted to sit in the press box.

I think the Wings will probably waive/trade Ritola before Draper out of loyalty, just no so sure it’s the right thing to do at this point.

of course, i’m with Nathan when it comes down to it - Kenny knows what he’s doing. everyone needs to get over all the fake Modano drama that got built up out of shear summer boredom and start to digest the fact that we are adding a HALL OF FAMER as a 3RD LINE center for a million bucks… all while the Hawks disassemble. as i stated in my other post… this is NO Jason Williams here. This is the greatest American born scorer of all time. Even on the downswing that means something. I think Modano, Hudler, and Cleary are at least on paper the most dominant 3rd line in the league. And meanwhile, Abbie’s taking boxing lessons getting ready to show Detroit what being on the fourth line is all about…. a highly competitive 4th line with Eaves, Miller, Helm, Abbie, Draper, Downey, Ritola, fighting it out. we are seriously deep… at least till the injuries come.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 08/03/10 at 02:47 PM ET

Leo_Racicot's avatar

Posted by Amerinadian from Chicago on 08/03/10 at 01:45 PM ET

Further, how many teams would be in the market for Chris Draper v2010?  His face off’ and PK value-added presence have been all but eliminated, so now you’re talking about his biggest redeeming value being found solely in the lockerroom.

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 08/03/10 at 02:47 PM ET

rrasco's avatar

Drapes is not getting traded and I think Ritola is out of minor-league options…isn’t he?

Posted by rrasco from TEXAS on 08/03/10 at 02:50 PM ET

perfection's avatar

noone is trading anyone for Draper. this could be his last season anyway as his contract is up. he would have to be waived if we wanted to rid ourselves of the 1.5 mil… and yes, Ritola is out of options and would also be waived (although we probably could find someone to give a draft pick for Ritola). i’d take Ritola over Draper. one’s an asset and ones a relic.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 08/03/10 at 02:57 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

I’d sign Modano for $1.25M
Sign Helm for $1.0M
Sign Abdelkader for $850,000
Trade Draper
Trade Meech
Send Ritola to Grand Rapids
Sign Willie Mitchell for $1.25M

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from COLUMBIA, TENNESSEE on 08/03/10 at 01:16 PM ET

Chris, I’m not going to rag on you, but there’s a couple reasons Draper simply won’t be traded.

First, he has a NTC. Why would a guy that’s been a life-long Wing, laid his family and roots down in Detroit, and near the end of his career agree to waive his NTC? Generally, this happens if you’re sending a guy somewhere with a chance to win… and Draper has no better chance to win than right here.

Second, he’s an organizational guy. I think he’ll be a part of this club for a lot of years. Name three guys that embody the “Red Wing” way since 1995? Yzerman, Lidstrom, and… Draper. It would be crazy of the club to burn that bridge for a little cap space.

And just for clarification, you can try to send Ritola to GR, which may or may not work, because he is out of options. Given the types of forwards that are still free agents, it’s hard to judge whether or not Ritola would be picked up by another club. I still have to lean toward “yes” because some other club will, just like too many Wings fans, see a Datsyukian, Zetterbergish, Homer-like, etc. luster on Ritola that truthfully probably doesn’t exist. And he’s cheap and costs no assets to pick up.

Posted by perfection on 08/03/10 at 01:47 PM ET

Yes. This is part of my point. Modano may not score 20 goals and 70 points, but his ability to be effective in the third line role will allow the fourth line to be that much better. A fourth line of Helm, Abdelkader, and Eaves is the type of trio that can terrorize the opposition’s D on the cycle.

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 08/03/10 at 01:47 PM ET

Draper’s “locker room” value is probably way higher in Detroit than it is anywhere else. Like I said above, he’s a Detroiter now, a Red Wing. This is his home, this is his identity. I don’t think he’d have the same presence anywhere else, and I don’t think his heart would be in it as much. At this stage Draper probably has more value as the 13th forward for the Wings than he has for any other team as the 12th.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 08/03/10 at 03:05 PM ET

edillac's avatar

why do we need Modano on the 2nd PP unit,thats Happy’s place

Posted by edillac from isolation on 08/03/10 at 03:07 PM ET

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

Ok, maybe I need to clarify my postion here. We’re talking about the possibility of acquiring Willie Mitchell here. Most of us are wondering how we’d be able to fit him in under the cap. I never said that I didn’t like Draper or wanted him traded or think he will be traded or that there was a market for him (although, Maple Leafs?? Lebda?? just sayin’). All I was attempting to do was offer another scenario that might make it possible for us to land Mitchell. I’m well aware that Draper still has a role on this team and that Kenny doesn’t make a ton of trades anyway. But I do still think that Draper’s cap hit IS high, and I believe that if he were to be traded, that his role could be filled. I was just basically playing Devil’s advocate.

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 08/03/10 at 03:08 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from COLUMBIA, TENNESSEE on 08/03/10 at 02:08 PM ET

That’s a fair position and I don’t think less of you for bringing it up, but he’s simply an untouchable to me.

Willie Mitchell is not worth that to me.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 08/03/10 at 03:17 PM ET

it’s hard to judge whether or not Ritola would be picked up by another club.

Tampa.

Is Abdelkader/Helm/Eaves really better than Miller/Helm/Eaves?

Posted by Garth on 08/03/10 at 03:18 PM ET

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

“Remember during one of our bad stretches last year, the Wings came out of the locker room for a 2nd period followed by just an awful 1st and played like they were being chased by bees and the puck was the only antidote?  Remember when Lidstrom told the press that it was because Draper tore them all brand new assholes?”

Great analogy, J.J.

Of course I remember. Character definitely is one of those intangibles that most teams in this league don’t have *cough* Sharks *cough*. You and Nathan are right, Drapes isn’t going anywhere, I know that.  Drapes is a lifer, deservedly so.

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 08/03/10 at 03:21 PM ET

1 2 >       Next »