Abel to Yzerman

Homer Via Guralnick

Been a while since we pointed you to A2Y official photographer, David Guralnick.  It’s highly unlikely that Gary.Ass and the Canadien(an) mainstreamers would ever allow Tomas Holmstrom into the Hall, but here’s the picture the organ-I-zation should use to create his permanent mural at The Joe.

image

Great work from Guralnick, as usual.  And a note to the shrivs at the News: no, Guralnick’s not on the payroll. He’s just the best in the business so we’ve claimed him.

If you want a collection of Homer quotes, stories and some reminders of how badly he’s been shafted by Gary’s refs over the years, click here.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Thanks for the early Christmas present Master Chief.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 12/18/11 at 12:11 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

I’m afraid to click the button because it will be too piss-off-ify-ing.

Congrats Guralnick and thanks for the many standard-bearing, history documenting photos over the years.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 12/18/11 at 12:34 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Seger will be at the Mandalay Bay Events Center on Dec. 30th.  Will see if I can get the tix to see him.  Been a while since I’ve seen him.

Posted by SYF from a rudderless Wings dressing room on 12/17/11 at 02:16 PM ET

Awesome.  I’ve never seen him in concert, but I have seen two Doors knock-offs in concert, and thanks to your advice a couple of years ago have become a big fan of the double double animal style,

and look forward to it whenever I travel west of the Miss.  Even their fries seem better, I forget why they’re different, and better.  I think it was you, could have been Stay Outta Malibu, or someone else, but I’m giving you credit.

Fortunately, my favorite watering hole is 2 blocks from the venue. I’m figuring a 4 martini minimum, but more likely 6. That way, I’ll be too drunk to grasp the sharp stick I will feel like jabbing in my eye 10 minutes into the show.
Posted by dougie on 12/17/11 at 03:42 PM ET

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA ROFL I thought you were making an excuse for excessive drinking, then I watched the video…. for as long as I could stand it.  They actually seem pretty good and in the 2 minutes I watched did as good of a job as possible at varying up a cappella.  But it reminds me of an old Far Side cartoon that was a spin off of a movie, 2 guys on a bar stage, both dressed in tuxes each playing sets of drums.  The only person left in the audience was passed out on his table with his bottle knocked over.  I think Larson called it “The Fantastic Johnson Brothers” or something.

My ears actually perk up whenever I hear a Barbershop Quartet, like in The Music Man, but I imagine even that would have a 2 song limit.

Congrats for sticking with it, but it sounds like a Night Of Long Knives.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 12/18/11 at 01:13 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Top it off with a post-show visit to Krispy Kreme, and 4 hot donuts in 3 miles….I’m good.
Now Imma watch the game on DVR, with my dog. It’s fuchin’ great to be alive, bitches.

Posted by dougie on 12/17/11 at 11:15 PM ET

I was feeling sorry for you, kinda, until I read your review of the evening.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 12/18/11 at 01:25 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

How about Emmerton’s game?  About as timely as he could get, having been a healthy scratch while The Rifleman clawed his way into the starting line up.

What happens for playing time when Mursak gets back?  He was the one that earned a spot over the safety net back in September, will he have to earn again the spot? I’d say yes.  How about damn Eaves, a hard working staple and exemplary PK specialist, or Miller, often a healthy scratch but always jumps in with both feet whenever brought back into the starting line up.

Babcock has a way with words, this on describing Emmerton’s near brush with Wings-roster elimination,

“I think it’s real good for him confidence-wise,” Babcock said.

“He’s got NHL skills. He’s got to decide he’s an NHL player. When you don’t play for a while, mentally it might get to you, you start getting close to the door. You don’t want to be close to the door. You want to be in the middle of the room hanging out. So it’s a good sign for him.”

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 12/18/11 at 01:41 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Thanks for that photo, Master Chief.  Perfect Homer In Action.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 12/18/11 at 05:33 PM ET

Alan's avatar

That picture? So much win!

I can almost hear Homer say “See my ass? Isn’t it nice and big? Look at this nice ass… oh whoops! Puck goes in the net!!”

Thanks for the post, Master Chief!

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 12/18/11 at 06:46 PM ET

dougie's avatar

Posted by dougie on 12/17/11 at 11:15 PM ET

I was feeling sorry for you, kinda, until I read your review of the evening.

And now, lets see if I piled up enough points to change some travel plans that had us in Nashville for bidness Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday after Xmas.

I believe a certain hockey team is playing there on Monday night.  A 550 mile drive in one day may be a tough sell. What if she wanted to listen to the Straight, No Chaser CD she bought at the show last night in the car?

Maybe I better rethink this.

Posted by dougie on 12/18/11 at 08:41 PM ET

calquake's avatar

You know they do sell noise-cancelling ear phones don’t you. grin

Posted by calquake on 12/18/11 at 09:12 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Posted by RWBill from the customary position atop the western conference on 12/18/11 at 10:13 AM ET

Yum, yum, yum, loves me some double-double animal style.  I read recently that “Five Guys” burgers have overtaken In ‘n Out for best burgers.  Haven’t had one yet.  Anyone out there tried both and care to weigh in?  Figuratively, of couse.

Posted by calquake on 12/18/11 at 09:16 PM ET

Ah, you’re welcome, Bill.  Just trying to spread good word about the culinary scene here in Vegas.  We have the five-star Michelin heroes but the local scenes are just as fun.  If you dig crustaceans, “Hot And Juicy Crawfish” on Spring Mountain Rd. and Decatur Blvd in Chinatown is glorious.  You order by the pound, what kind of spice, and how spicy hot you can handle.  Oh and they give you a friggin’ bib.  Heh.

As for Guralnick’s photo of Homer’s big gigantic Swedish-meatball farting ass in front of Bernier’s noggin?  Glorious.  Guralnick is this generation’s Walter Iooss, Jr. - despite his other enviable habit of photographing half naked supermodels in some of the most exotic locations in the world (I hate that guy).

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 12/18/11 at 10:18 PM ET

Haven’t tried Five Guys, yet, cal as it’s a relatively new shop.  It’s near my home so I’ll check that out, too.

Hockey and burgers.  Gotta be a Detroit tradition.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 12/18/11 at 10:19 PM ET

I’m in such a nostalgic mood right now.  Youtube user, awood, also a Wings fan, uploaded this superb compilation.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 12/18/11 at 10:22 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

We just got a Jimmie John’s in Minot.  The place is absolutely packed everytime I go past it.

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 12/18/11 at 11:54 PM ET

dougie's avatar

Posted by calquake on 12/18/11 at 06:16 PM E

I will not eat a hamburger anywhere else but 5 Guys. They are that good to me. Their french fries are killer, also.

Posted by dougie on 12/19/11 at 12:02 AM ET

calquake's avatar

Posted by SYF from a rudderless Wings dressing room on 12/18/11 at 07:22 PM ET

Major kudos to awood and to you SYF for passing that along.  Watching that still gives me chills.

Posted by calquake on 12/19/11 at 12:37 AM ET

Nate A's avatar

There’s several 5Guys burgers around the Detroit area for about a year or 2 now, including one in Greektown. The burgers are delicious. Not a huge fan of the fries, but they’re ok.  Haven’t had In-and-Out, so can’t compare.

There is a new local chain called Bagger Dave’s too. Started in Ann Arbor i think, with a couple locations around the burbs. It’s a burger tavern with build your own and a solid selection of beer and even some wine.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 12/19/11 at 12:39 AM ET

creasemonkey's avatar

Five Guys is about the same taste as In n Out, burger-wise. Fries are thicker and the ones served to me are always half raw.  I’d give the benefit to In n Out for having food at half the price of Five Guys.

Also, anyone in San Diego should check out BABs burgers on Convoy—awesome burgers and sandwiches at a cheap price.

Posted by creasemonkey from sweet home san diego on 12/19/11 at 01:03 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Posted by calquake on 12/18/11 at 06:16 PM ET

Hang a bit negative on the Five Guys over In-n-Out. Besides, Five Guys doesn’t have shakes.

Kind’ve like the Wings system…why mess with the original?

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 12/19/11 at 03:09 AM ET

MarkK's avatar

care to weigh in?

About 3% heavier than when I walked into Five Guys last time. Worth every pound.

Posted by MarkK from Maryland on 12/19/11 at 12:15 PM ET

Posted by calquake on 12/18/11 at 09:37 PM ET

Sure thing, cal.  Bored with no-game days on youtube, you’re bound to find something amazing.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 12/19/11 at 04:04 PM ET