Abel to Yzerman

He’s Stilloutwiththe"Flu"zzi…So Let’s Live Blog It, Eh?

Todd Bertuzzi’s been struck down by the Babcockian Flu.  It’s a peculiar strain and the symptoms appeared about thirteen days ago.  The muscles start to ache, slowing the legs, numbing the mind.  The temper flares but it’s misdirected at times, resulting in short periods of quarantine, generally two minutes…or less, in extreme cases.

Most troublesome is that this nagging bug seemed to be infectious.  It spread quickly across the Wing roster, ravaging it.  Felling Swedes and Canadians and Fins, hookers and domestic pets.  Pucks were sent astray, idiotic penalties—stupid by even sociopathic standards—followed one after the other.  Sadness, and I mean extreme sadness, followed.  After five games, it became apparent that greater, more dramatic quarantine was required.  And so he sat, high above his friends.  Coincidentally, happiness followed.  Not for BBL himself (figure it out), but for the rest of us.

And so the sickness continues, isolated now.  Just one carrier, alone with this insanity.

Strange side effect to the Babcockian Flu though, is that it always seems to open doors for others.  Swedes, usually.  In this case, a new one gets another shot….

DetNews

A good game Saturday against Anaheim (as Bertuzzi remains sick) has kept Brunnstrom in the lineup tonight against Colorado.

“It was because Bert got stick, but you know that’s how it is,” said Brunnstrom of his return to the NHL. “Just do what I can do and make the best of the situation, and see how it goes.”

And an old one gets more minutes…

Roose

Holmstrom’s ascension to the top line – along side Pavel Datsyuk and Danny Cleary – was necessary when Todd Bertuzzi came down with an illness last week, which first sidelined the veteran forward for Saturday’s 5-0 win over Anaheim.

“I have my chance, but I have to go full out and try to make it hard for (coach Mike Babcock) to put me back to less ice-time,” said Holmstrom, who has a goal and three assists.

Sick, sick, sick. A sick man is Todd Bertuzzi.  Funny how that happens, eh?

Live Blog the Sickness, because it’s way frigging better than the Suck.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 3 >  Last ›      Next »

Sullyosis's avatar

First!

Posted by Sullyosis from A hateful lair in Post Apocalyptic US (or Arizona) on 11/08/11 at 07:40 PM ET

FranzensMouthguard's avatar

sick with “playing like crap-itis”

Posted by FranzensMouthguard from Chicago, IL on 11/08/11 at 07:47 PM ET

Crow's avatar

I was hoping the midget pimp was still sick so we can bring up Nyquist. Oh well, no stupid penalties boys, otherwise the #1 power play will put a hurt on us tonight. Go Wings!!!

Posted by Crow on 11/08/11 at 07:48 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

I got the Old Milwaukee cold and ready to go.  LRGW!

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 11/08/11 at 07:53 PM ET

SnLO's avatar

So the serial killer now a fluzzi? or has the fluzzi? Or maybe both?

Fluzzi: A strange illness that afflicts players. Symptoms: takes stupid penalties and makes blind passes to the other team in the offensive zone. Cure: rest and time in the sky box.

Posted by SnLO from beyond the M-1 on 11/08/11 at 07:59 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Let’s see if this team is really ready to get out of this funk or not.

I remain pessimistic until I see some consecutive wins. Wins against the Avs and Oil will go a long way from righting the wrongs.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 11/08/11 at 08:05 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

LET’S GO RED WINGS!!!!!

Posted by MsRedWinger from GlennieAbbyLand. Now in Flori-Duh. on 11/08/11 at 08:12 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Fluzzi: A strange illness that afflicts players. Symptoms: takes stupid penalties and makes blind passes to the other team in the offensive zone. Cure: unconditional waivers.

Fixt.

BBL:  Belly Button Lint?

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 11/08/11 at 08:25 PM ET

The Hurricane's avatar

Redolentitis?

Posted by The Hurricane on 11/08/11 at 08:33 PM ET

Wings_Fan_In_KC's avatar

Evenin’ Bitches!

Posted by Wings_Fan_In_KC from ...somewhere southwest of The Motor City... on 11/08/11 at 08:41 PM ET

Alzy's avatar

I hope Penaltuzzi keeps the flu for another 8 months or so.

Finally able to wear my Winter Classic jersey again. Had an exorcism performed on it over the weekend, because like a redolent William Tell, I missed the mark huge in my choice of player: Hossa. I really thought Tick Tock would sign both, so I went with Hossa over the Mule. But after sitting in my closet for two years, I finally had that mistake rectified. Love this jersey.

LET’S GO RED WINGS (exclamation point)

Posted by Alzy from Cambridge, Ontario, Canada on 11/08/11 at 08:54 PM ET

BBL…big beautiful leper?

Posted by chad from albuquerque on 11/08/11 at 08:55 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Bertuzzi Been Loozy

I cast my vote for Bert’s new nickname of “Bubbles”.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 11/08/11 at 09:01 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Bertama Bin Laden

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 11/08/11 at 09:04 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Poor Bert.  All it would take is one great game and everyone would love him again.

Posted by MsRedWinger from GlennieAbbyLand. Now in Flori-Duh. on 11/08/11 at 09:04 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Bel Biv Lowblow

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 11/08/11 at 09:10 PM ET

monkey's avatar

You had a new name and number sewn on?

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 11/08/11 at 09:10 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Ansar Khan, what the Hell does this mean?

The Avalanche is 2-5-1, following a 5-0 road trip.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 11/08/11 at 09:12 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Being a Red Wings fan means Call of Duty will have to wait 3 hours.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 11/08/11 at 09:13 PM ET

monkey's avatar

The Avalanche is 2-5-1, following a 5-0 road trip.

They pulled a “Detroit” by first going 5-0 on a road trip and then 2-5-1 in their next eight games.  Their first game was a loss at home to Detroit, thus they are 7-6-1.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 11/08/11 at 09:16 PM ET

monkey's avatar

And no I didn’t understand that either, I looked up their schedule.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 11/08/11 at 09:16 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

I’m in. Lets keep up the good vibes from Saturday.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 11/08/11 at 09:17 PM ET

TheRealYooper's avatar

lgrw!

don’t know if i will like the ‘new’ regional play off or not.

Posted by TheRealYooper from within sight of the edge of the Earth. on 11/08/11 at 09:18 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Hola bitches,

Wings better be fast tonight, or it’ll be a long one.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 11/08/11 at 09:21 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

lgrw!

don’t know if i will like the ‘new’ regional play off or not.

Posted by TheRealYooper from within sight of the edge of the Earth. on 11/08/11 at 07:18 PM ET

I know what you mean.  I care less about the travel.  I’m sick of watching the pretend franchises in Nashville and Columbus.  I want Montreal and Toronto back.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 11/08/11 at 09:23 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Almost forgot:

Good evening, bitches.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 11/08/11 at 09:25 PM ET

Little Redhead's avatar

Evening Ya All!  Agree-Skate Fast, but also…..Play Smart, Stay Focused, Shoot More=WIN!

Lets Go Red Wings!!!

Posted by Little Redhead from the Engineer's chair on 11/08/11 at 09:27 PM ET

TheRealYooper's avatar

Almost forgot:

Good evening, bitches.

Posted by monkey from slipping into a comma

ya, ya, evenin’ bitches.

Posted by TheRealYooper from within sight of the edge of the Earth. on 11/08/11 at 09:28 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

Posted by MsRedWinger from Florida, but wishin’ I was back in the Mitten. on 11/08/11 at 07:04 PM ET

Reminds me of my family.  We just have a really odd way of showing our love.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 11/08/11 at 09:30 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

I’m here.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 11/08/11 at 09:31 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Any feed?

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 11/08/11 at 09:32 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Herm - - good to see you(!)

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 11/08/11 at 09:33 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 11/08/11 at 09:33 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Awesome. The Yak is back.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 11/08/11 at 09:34 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Herm - - good to see you(!)

Last two months of college are keeping me a little away from A2Y. Still love ya’.

Posted by monkey from slipping into a comma on 11/08/11 at 07:33 PM ET

Thanks.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 11/08/11 at 09:35 PM ET

TheRealYooper's avatar

singing of the pre-game song.

Posted by TheRealYooper from within sight of the edge of the Earth. on 11/08/11 at 09:36 PM ET

MarkK's avatar

Thanks for the link, monkey.

Evenin’ to the rest of ya

Posted by MarkK from Maryland on 11/08/11 at 09:36 PM ET

Since71's avatar

FSD link

Posted by Since71 from Bucharest, Romania on 11/08/11 at 09:36 PM ET

alukacs's avatar

Hi folks - do we have a Bingo-Bango FSD feed? Or just a feed from that city?

Posted by alukacs on 11/08/11 at 09:38 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

‘Sup bitches?

Bert got a case of suckitis and the only remedy is a Pine enema.

LGRW

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 11/08/11 at 09:38 PM ET

1 2 3 >  Last ›      Next »