Abel to Yzerman

Haze Gray

By now you’ve seen Uncle Mike’s comments regarding The Diva (Mike Modano).  It would appear he’s headed to Hockeytown afterall.  That’s nice, but I don’t feel like talking about that very much anymore.  This will be my last post on that subject until he signs or drags his candy ass out here to the West Coast.

If he wears red, we’ll be fine.  If he doesn’t, we’ll be just as fine. Babcock says a bunch of stuff emphasizing his belief that Willa’s husband will be here before long, and he talks about how awesome the Wings will be even if Willa says no.

But this was the quote that jumped out at me…

Rosen/NHL.com

“We want him to be thrilled to be a Red Wing. We are big believers in that,” Babcock said.

Yep.  Bow down to the Winged Wheel before you sign your name Mikey.  It’s best that you understand playing for the Wings is a privelege, not a right or an opportunity.  It’s a privilege, bitch.  All in or stay out.

image

My warship got underway today.  Connectivity may be scarce. Not sure yet.  There’s a chance you may not hear from me for a few days, and an equal chance that I fill your lives with even more babble.  We’ll see.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Baroque's avatar

Stay safe and don’t fall off the ship. smile

Posted by Baroque from Michigan on 07/16/10 at 08:31 PM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

Good luck, and smooth sailing.

Have we missed Voox’s obituary..?

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 07/16/10 at 08:35 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

thanks Baroque. I’ll try. No guarantees though.

Gramps: I heard from Voox last week. He’s been traveling the world, laying pipe probably.  I’d expect him back soon.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 07/16/10 at 08:38 PM ET

Wings_Fan_In_KC's avatar

Haze Gray and Under—motherf*ckin’—way!!

I wish you and your warship fair winds and following seas, Chief.

Posted by Wings_Fan_In_KC from ...somewhere southwest of The Motor City... on 07/16/10 at 08:43 PM ET

cephalopod's avatar

Dude, where’s my Hornet?

Posted by cephalopod from Chicago...nope, still not over it. on 07/16/10 at 09:23 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

Chief, I’ll echo Baroque’s sentiments about not falling overboard.  That’s some sound advice.  Also, just remember the two sure-fire warning signs that something really insane is about to happen on board a Navy vessel:

a commissioned officer saying, “I was just thinking…”

or a CPO chuckling and saying, “Watch this shit…”

...love that shit!!!

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 07/16/10 at 09:35 PM ET

Primis's avatar

I’ve been saying that all along.  Mikey isn’t respecting the org, the winged wheel, or the red and white by going through all of this.  He should have been grovelling on his hands and knees and then publicly thanking the org and fans for the privilege.

So I don’t want him.

Posted by Primis on 07/16/10 at 09:37 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

If Mikey plays, he’s got his nickname. Regardless of where.
“Willa”.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 07/16/10 at 09:48 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I’m calling it, Helm and Abby sign while Chief’s out.  Kenny showed them this post.

Good luck on the boat, Chief.  Remember, there’s no such thing as mermaids.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/16/10 at 09:54 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

If Mikey plays, he’s got his nickname. Regardless of where.
“Willa”.

And so it is done.  Good call.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 07/16/10 at 10:06 PM ET

Twig in Houston's avatar

good luck, chief.

the longer willah takes to make up her mind as to where modano can sign, the less i want her husband on the team.

still… it would be delicious to wear a modano shirt in front of the few stars fans i know of.

Posted by Twig in Houston from Houston, TX on 07/16/10 at 11:06 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

It’s a privilege, bitch.  All in or stay out.

Are we there yet? Bitches? Just get this drama over with.

No, I still won’t like it. Not one bit.

Godspeed Chief.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 07/16/10 at 11:09 PM ET

AndrewFromAnnArbor's avatar

I know some people who always called him Willa’s Wife.  I see no reason to give that one up.

And if we get Willa’s Wife, yeah, we’ll be better.  If we don’t, we’ll still be good.  But one thing you can be sure of…

It’s pretty obvious by now that that’s not going to happen.  And THAT’S why I want him even less now.

Fair winds and smooth seas, CPO.  Godspeed.

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 07/17/10 at 03:44 AM ET

I can’t believe how everyone is so quick to turn their back on this guy. Honestly I don’t think we know 10% of the real situation. I think were just mad that he didn’t sign with the Wings immediately. Wherever he goes he’s doing it to win a cup, so he’s going to give 100% esp when he’s uprooting his family to do so. Its not his fault there is a salary cap.

Posted by callmedrw on 07/17/10 at 08:50 AM ET

Cwix's avatar

Best of luck, Chief. Kick ass if need be.

Posted by Cwix from Grand Rapids, now Roanoke, VA on 07/17/10 at 09:12 AM ET

Baroque's avatar

I don’t care about his “Detroit or retire” comments (because at the time that was all that he seemed to have as options), and I don’t begrudge him the time to make certain of his decision. What I worry about is if he is taking the time not to assess if he is able to train and play all the games for an entire season (or maybe two),

What worries me is if he is taking the time to talk himself into playing when his heart isn’t in it anymore - when he wouldn’t necessarily be not thrilled to be a Red Wing, but he wouldn’t be thrilled to go through the hassle of playing hockey at all.  If he has to convince himself against his better and deeper judgment to keep playing, then he won’t play well, he won’t enjoy it, and he might leave mid-contract after realizing that and stick Detroit with the cap hit.

If he’s checking himself over mentally to decide if he still wants to play, that’s one thing - if he is trying to talk himself into playing one more year, that’s another, and he’s the only one who knows which one is going on in his head.

(And don’t like the idea of him taking time from Abdelkader, though, but that’s because I like Abdelkader a lot more.)

Posted by Baroque from Michigan on 07/17/10 at 09:31 AM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

He’s been traveling the world, laying pipe probably.

The farthest I travel to lay pipe is about 5 feet from my bedroom.  Usually around 6:00 AM every morning.

Smooth sailing there Chief.  If need be, motherfuchin’ get some.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 07/17/10 at 11:13 AM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Thanks for watching our backs, Chief.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 07/17/10 at 11:58 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I think were just mad that he didn’t sign with the Wings immediately.

Bingo.  I’m an impatient, unapologetic dick.  I’ll make peace if he signs with us and war if he signs in San Jose; I just don’t like to be kept waiting.

Modano’s paying with a check in the express lane.  I hate that shit.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/17/10 at 12:05 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

I know enough. I know that he could have signed the second my hero Tick Tock offered him a deal.  That’s what any hockey player should do, when given the chance to play for the greatest franchise in all of sport.

This is the Detroit motherfauxing Red Wings we’re talking about.  Holland says “we want you” and the only acceptable response should be, “thank you. pen?”

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 07/17/10 at 12:59 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Is it October yet?

I miss hockey.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 07/17/10 at 01:34 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by callmedrw on 07/17/10 at 06:50 AM ET

And I can’t believe that some of you will give an infinite leash to a past-his-prime free agent who has very few options and seems reluctant to make the smart, obvious choice.

He didn’t need to sign “right away”.  But to drag this out for weeks is ridiculous.  There’s not that much demand for him.  What is there to decide on, exactly?  I wouldn’t care if he signed somewhere else quite frankly, it’d be a non-issue then.

So no, we’re not being too harsh or turning our back on him.  I don’t want players who don’t really want to be here in Detroit.  End.  Of.  Story.

To whom much is given, much is expected.

Posted by Primis on 07/17/10 at 03:03 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

I think this sort of behavior is to be expected when a hall-of-fame great is facing the end of his career.  I’d be peeved if we were talking about a $4M payroll asset here, but if he comes in around $1M then it’s not an issue.

Kenny needs to move ahead and get Helm and Abby locked up without any thought to Mike’s decision making process, however.  That is a certainty.

Smooth sailing, Chief.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 07/17/10 at 05:18 PM ET

pgoody's avatar

Willa the Thrilla…

Posted by pgoody on 07/17/10 at 06:06 PM ET

pgoody's avatar

I think I know why he hasnt signed yet… he wants the #9 to be un-retired so he can wear it as a Wing…

Posted by pgoody on 07/17/10 at 06:07 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Posted by pgoody on 07/17/10 at 04:07 PM ET

I’ll pretend I didn’t see that ...

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 07/17/10 at 06:28 PM ET

MarkK's avatar

Smooth sailing, Chief.

Like you said, either way we’ll be fine, even if we prefer it to be one way over the other.

I’m not worried.  There are a lot of different ways that peoples’ minds work.  Given the fact that we really don’t know what MM might be debating, I’ll leave it up to Tick Tock to be the judge of character.  I’ll come around to it either way, and he remains a hockey great and a respectable character in my mind either way.

Posted by MarkK from Maryland on 07/17/10 at 06:40 PM ET

MarkK's avatar

he wants the #9 to be un-retired so he can wear it as a Wing…

Willa must have gotten #9 tattooed on her crotch since her last photoshoot, so that is indeed the holdup.

Posted by MarkK from Maryland on 07/17/10 at 06:41 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Have a good cruise Sailor.

Has anyone watched a show on PBS that deals with an aircraft carrier’s cruise movements? I believe it is the Nimitz (or as we used to call it numnuts) and was made 2 years ago. Gave me some flashbacks when I was on the JFK in the early 80’s.
Come on Willa Choppers. Make up your mind. If the wings asked me to take a job, I would ask how much I would have to pay them.
Come on October allready

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 07/17/10 at 07:42 PM ET

Fair winds and following seas, Chief.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 07/18/10 at 03:41 PM ET