Abel to Yzerman

GDT - Game #2:  Red Wings at ‘Dique (9:00)

Another hockey season underway, and the quest for 12 continues.  Hope springs eternal, and if you are a Michigan sports fan, why wouldn’t it?  Lions, Tigers, and Red Wings, oh my.  I was at high school football last night, so did not see the game.  But I did manage the catch the tribute to Beast, the Wings are nothing but class; Godspeed to Brad’s family.  I was counted among the “19” who often chastised the Wings special team play, and McCrimmon in particular.  Perhaps I should have been more careful about what I wished for; 0-fer on the PP is bad enough, but surrendering 2 of 3 on the PK - C’mon man.

Uncle Mike wasn’t pleased either: “I didn’t like the way we played the third, that’s something we’ve got to get past. We were lackadaisical.”  “We gave up three goals at home. We didn’t need to give them up. We have to play the whole 60 minutes.”  Please, not the same old song and dance, my friends.

The ‘Dique open their season tonight.  Bring on the schadenfreude, and a few PBR!  Lets Go Red Wings(!)

Central Division Standings:

1 DET     1 1 0 0 2 1 +2 1-0-0 WON 1
2 NSH     1 1 0 0 2 1 +1 1-0-0 WON 1
3 CBJ 1 0 1 0 0 0 -1 0-1-0 LOST 1
4 CHI   1 0 1 0 0 0 -1 0-0-0 LOST 1
5 STL 0 0 0 0 0 0 E 0-0-0

Team Records:

DET:  1 GP,  1-0-0, 2 pts, (1 in Conf, 1 in Central), 5 GF, 3 GA, Last 10 1-0-0,  WON 1

COL:  0 GP,  0-0-0,  0 pts, (Last in Conference, Last in Northwest), 0 GF, 0 GA, Last 10 0-0-0,

Home/Away Record:

DET on road:  0-0-0 ( )
COL at home:  0-0-0 ( )

Stats (rank):

DET:  1.00 point% (1), 5.00 G/G (1), 3.00 GA/G (23), 5.00 F/A (1), 0.00 PP% (10), 33.3 PK% (17), 39.0 S/G (1), 32.0 SA/G (23),  50.8 FO% (9).

COL:  0.00 point% ( ), 0.00 G/G ( ), 0.00 GA/G ( ),  0.00 5-5 F/A ( ), 0.00 PP% ( ), 0.00 PK% ( ), 0.00 S/G ( ), 0.00 SA/G ( ), 0.00 FO% ( ).

Goal Differential/Game:

No Cold Players

COL: Hot:
No Hot Players

COL: Not Hot:
No Cold Players

Injury Report:

Mike Commodore (D) Back injury (Day to day)
Jan Mursak (RW/LW) Fractured ankle (Injured reserve)

Brandon Yip (RW/LW) Arm injury (Injured reserve)
Kyle Cumiskey (D) Groin (Injured reserve)
Mark Olver (C/LW) Head injury (Injured reserve)

Jeff Sagarin NHL Ratings, USAToday

NHL 2010-2011 through games of 2011 OCTOBER 7 FRIDAY

HOME ADVANTAGE=  0.24   RATING   W   L SCHEDL(RANK) VS top 10 | VS top 16

2 Detroit Red Wings     =  4.52   1   0   3.43(  18)  0   0 |  0   0
26 Colorado Avalanche     =  3.53   0   0   0.00(  0)  0   0 |  0   0

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Denver Wings's avatar

Commie is now on 7-day IR and Smith has been recalled.  Just sayin’.

I’ll be on the glass in Wings defensive zone tonight, sporting the #13.  Prediction:

Wings 4, Dive 3.  Dats, Mule, Helm, Kronner.

Otherwise, I’ll be first in line for opening-night-hangover-Floppa-circle-jerk-night jinx for the boys.

Posted by Denver Wings on 10/08/11 at 11:18 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Nice to have you back Jeff.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 10/08/11 at 11:29 AM ET

I will be down at the AssCan tonight with my kids.  We will have Lions, Tigers and Wings gear on.  Maybe the last time for me to see Homer and the perfect human live.

Posted by Jeff from CO. on 10/08/11 at 11:43 AM ET

Forlorn in VA's avatar

Welcome back!  I’ve missed these threads.

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 10/08/11 at 11:48 AM ET

sjketcheson's avatar

Indeed, nice to see the GDT back up!

Posted by sjketcheson from the floor of the Hasek on 10/08/11 at 11:53 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Jeff, great to have you back!!!

And I get the “we got to play for the entire 60 minutes” thing, but I’m not going to beat up on the Wings for letting up a bit in the third last night. They had the game in hand, and have to fly to Colorado and play at altitude tonight. The team looked great last night after tbey got their legs going. No worries here (yet anyway).

cool smile

Posted by MsRedWinger from the State where Tigers roam in the Spring on 10/08/11 at 12:06 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Great way to start each game day. Good to have this back, Jeff.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 10/08/11 at 12:06 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Anyone else spend their entire life until just now thinking this word was spelled “lacksadaisical”?

Posted by monkey from Prague on 10/08/11 at 12:38 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

It is great to be back among the bitches.  You’ll please pardon my distraction tonight.  I’ll be doing some serious channel surfing.  Go Tigers, and Lets Go Red Wings.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 10/08/11 at 12:56 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

It is great to be back among the bitches.

It sure is nice to see a GDT, OAkie. Thank you.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 10/08/11 at 01:57 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

I’ll be doing some serious channel surfing.

You and me both. Good to have ya back.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 10/08/11 at 02:05 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

From the LB last night-

Anyone else a bit concerned the third period looked an awfully lot like last season?

Posted by Red Winger from oft-injured shitsacks and half-evolved apes on 10/08/11 at 09:47 AM ET

Aye. They started slow, and ended slow, but in the middle 40, they played great.

If I were able to award stars last night, it would’ve been to Happy, Kindl, and Howard. Happy was great, but of course, he was on Pav’s wing. Kindl, while making some mistakes, outshined Ericsson by a long shot. Jimmy shook off his preseason rust and while sure, it’s easy to blame the D…they left him out to dry. Here’s to hoping Peters and Blashill can get things turned around; I’m tired of this defense-last play.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 10/08/11 at 03:27 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Thanks, Okie.

I’ll be doing some serious channel surfing.

Red Wings ...

Tigers ...

Meeech-eee-gin! - Go Blue! ...

Monday Night Football?

Lions ...

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 10/08/11 at 04:25 PM ET

hockeychic's avatar

I’ll be at the Can tonight as well.  Section 122, 3 rows up wearing my Datsyuk and the BF will be sporting Zetterberg.  LET’S GO RED WINGS!!!!

About last night, I had a family emergency so had to watch game on DVR.  Not really nice to see our PK still bites.

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 10/08/11 at 04:42 PM ET