Abel to Yzerman

GDT - Game #17:  Red Wings at Sharks (10:30)

Counting tonight, DET (9-6-1, 9th in WC) have 4 games remaining prior to Thanksgiving (US).  As has previously been mentioned, the rule of thumb is that a team must be within 3 points of a playoff spot at Thanksgiving to have any realistic chance of making the post-season.  8th seed in the WC is, ironically, held by SJS (9-5-1) with 19 points (same as DET, the Wings having played 1 more game).  DET play Saturday at LAK (9-6-3, 6 in WC), and Sunday at ANA (6-8-4, 13), before finishing this important stretch at home on Wednesday hosting CGY (7-9-1, 15).

If DET play the way they did Tuesday at STL, they have zero chance of doing anything positive, let alone making the playoffs.  The Master Chief mentioned yesterday, that the Tuesday abomination was “the worst game I’ve seen the Red Wings play.”  I’ll admit I’m older than Chief, and my memory likely isn’t as clear; but I whole-heartedly agree that the game was butt-ugly in more ways than one.

As most of you know, the primary reason Chief asked me to post the GDT, is to provide you bitches with some statistics in order to have some quantifiable measuring stick on the Wings play.  The numbers establish what the “19” have seen all year, the Wings special team play is simply abysmal (21st on PP, 25th in PK). At even strength, DET are actually very good (due in no small part to the play of non-ASG worthy, Jimmy Howard).

But, please allow me to briefly digress, Tuesday’s mail-in game was something many of the A2Y stalwarts have seen on the horizon for quite some time. For the past three seasons, many have ranted that the Wings need better special teams coaching, or they need a top 6 forward/sniper.  Many have questioned whether Babcock has lost the locker-room, or the “C” needs another holder.

I’ll offer this; the Wings have better talent than their record.  What they do not have, and have not had for some time is character. How many among you thought DET totally mailed-in the Blues game (save the 4 line and Howard)?  How many thought it was an absolute disgrace that no Wing stepped-up after Kronwall suffered that ridiculously cheap shot (and isn’t that a glaring condemnation, repeated ad nauseum these past several years). As just an example from this season, I noticed on the Tuesday broadcast that when the 2 line score, DET win; when they do not, DET lose.  To the point then (and I am paraphrasing due to time constraints): Character isn’t truly revealed in “good times”, it is easy to display character when things are going your way.  A person truest character shines when times are challenging. I’ll submit the Wings have great talent, but have displayed little or no character - and it is their failing.  Ken Holland is a wizard at finding talent.  It takes more than talent to win, it takes drive and determination.  I think we are witnessing what the “19” already know; the Wings were abundantly blessed with the character of “The Captain” (the finest example of an athlete I have ever witnessed in my lifetime) and others of that determination in the dressingroom.  DET have talent aplenty, a cursory review of career statistics establish that.  They do not have the heart of a champion (and that is damn painful to witness and to write).

Central Division Standings:

GP W L OTL PTS GOAL DIFF
1 CHI 19 12 4 3 27 +14
2 NSH 17 9 5 3 21 +3
3 DET 16 9 6 1 19 +8
4 STL 17 9 7 1 19 +3
5 CBJ 17 3 13 1 7 -26

Team Records:

DET:  16 GP,  9-6-1, 19 pts, (9 in Conf, 3 in Central), 43 GF, 35 GA, Last 10 4-5-1, LOST 1

SJS:  15 GP,  9-5-1,  19 pts, (8 in Conf, 4 in Pacific), 44 GF, 39 GA, Last 10 7-2-1,  LOST 1

Home/Away Record:

DET on road:  2-4-0 (27)
SSJ at home:  4-3-1 (18)

Stats (rank):

DET:  .594 point% (14), 2.69 G/G (18), 2.19 GA/G (5), 1.58 5-5 F/A (2), 14.3 PP% (21), 77.4 PK% (25), 34.9 S/G (2), 26.6 SA/G (2),  51.4 FO% (8).

SJS:  .633 point% (9), 2.80 G/G (12), 2.60 GA/G (13),  1.18 5-5 F/A (11), 21.4 PP% (4), 75.5 PK% (28), 35.7 S/G (1), 27.9 SA/G (6), 51.1 FO% (9).

Goal Differential/Game:

Antti Niemi (G) 2-0-0, 1.50, .943 in last 2 GPI
Thomas Greiss (G) 2-1-0, 1.96, .933 in last 3 GPI

SJS: Not Hot:
Martin Havlat (RW) 0 pts in last 3 GP

Injury Report:

DET:
Todd Bertuzzi (RW/LW) Sinus infection (Injured reserve)
Ian White (D) Cheekbone injury (Day to day)
Jan Mursak (RW/LW) Fractured ankle (Injured reserve)
Brendan Smith (D) Suspended ()

SJS:
Antero Niittymaki (G) Hip surgery (Injured reserve)
Alex Stalock (G) Left leg injury (Injured reserve)
James Sheppard (LW/C) Left knee surgery (Injured reserve)

Jeff Sagarin NHL Ratings, USAToday

NHL 2010-2011 through games of 2011 NOVEMBER 16 WEDNESDAY

HOME ADVANTAGE=  0.16   RATING   W   L SCHEDL(RANK) VS top 10 | VS top 16

13 Detroit Red Wings     =  4.26   9   7   3.83(  26)  1   2 |  3   5
4 San Jose Sharks       =  4.40   9   6   4.08(  9)  3   2 |  7   4
———————————————————————————————————————————
Khan(!):

Datsyuk has gone 11 games without a goal, picking up only five assists during the stretch. He has only two goals and eight assists in 16 games. At that pace, he would finish with 10 goals and 51 points.
He has a minus-3 rating. Datsyuk has posted a minus rating only once in his first nine seasons (minus-2 in 2003-04). He does, however, lead the league with 27 takeaways.
Fellow star forward Henrik Zetterberg hasn’t been any better, with three goals and three assists.

Khan(!) again:

Brendan Smith practiced Wednesday as if he were preparing to play Thursday, paired with Niklas Kronwall at even strength and partnered with Nicklas Lidstrom on the power play.
Afterward, Smith spoke like a man who was poised to make his NHL debut for the Detroit Red Wings against the San Jose Sharks at the HP Pavilion.
But coach Mike Babcock wanted to sleep on it for another night.
“I’ll decide in the morning,” Babcock said.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Ducksworth's avatar

Tonights the night Pasha breaks out of his slump…hopefully. Wings need to get it going after that poor game against the Blues, man it was painful to watch.

Posted by Ducksworth from Brownstown, MI on 11/17/11 at 01:51 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

Excellent digression OkieJeff.  Excellent GDT as usual.

Dallas Drake.  That is all.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from Where the GM likes his team. on 11/17/11 at 01:52 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Thanks Okie.

When I become a voice of reason that is truly a sign of despair.
Posted by calquake on 11/16/11 at 08:48 PM ET

When calquake is the voice of reason and monkey is the moral standard bearer we must be approaching End Times, or as Bettwad calls it, parity.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 11/17/11 at 01:55 PM ET

AndrewFromAnnArbor's avatar

DET have talent aplenty…They do not have the heart of a champion

First, San Jose mirrored us.  Now, we’re mirroring San Jose.

Sigh…

(Tap of the stick for all your great work, Okie.)

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 11/17/11 at 01:55 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

And
maybe…
just maybe…
give Hitchcock a little credit for last night.

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 11/16/11 at 08:21 PM ET

Absolutely the main theme that should have been pulled from the last game.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 11/17/11 at 01:58 PM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

Aaron Downey, always willing to drop. May I show some hope….

Tues WAS sucky,icky, stinky, and vomit worthy, but recall they showed after the six game hope killer that they are a hockey team. Optimistically, Z and 13 CANNOT possibly continue at this pace and when they pick it up, then look out. Jimmy is MORE than adequate when we score a few. Ian White’s absence is a bigger hole than we may have reckoned on and he’s missing all three games due to his heart and courage, and his “do what it takes” attitude, hat’s off to the new #18. Let’s be pleasantly SHOCKED by Brandon Smith on this trip, his heart sure wasn’t in Grand Rapids, it may be in Detroit.

Posted by Rdwings28 on 11/17/11 at 02:21 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Thanks, Okie.  I’m not sure I am willing to say the Wings lack “character.”  Drive and determination are words that come to my mind, but also maybe lack of confidence.  A couple of years of more than their share of injuries, and maybe a little puzzlement over parity; in other words, that players like Z and Pav can’t be as dominant as they used to be.  Maybe it’s not as much fun as it used to be for some of these “elite” players.  (The young guys don’t seem to be suffering from whatever-it-is.)

But that’s where the drive and determination come in.  And that’s what these guys have to find inside themselves.  We know they can.  We saw it in the first five games and in the recent four game winning streak.  And Jim Howard is the MVP of this team right now because every night he gives them every chance to win.

I still think they just need to get out of their heads and play!

LET’S GO RED WINGS !!!!!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 11/17/11 at 02:31 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

P.S.  And Pav needs a big hug.  It was clear that he was devastated by the plane crash and loss of the Lokomotiv team.  And he was not mentally ready to get fired up for the new season.  Grief is a process, and it takes time.  We can only hope he learns to put it out of his mind when he is on the ice.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 11/17/11 at 02:34 PM ET

I just gotta say that we are WINGS fans. We are too used to seeing them succeed all the time. If this team put their minds to it they could win 60+ games. But I think we all know what the Wings do in the regular season, they dont play at full throttle. They save that for the play offs. Dont lose hope. This team is still the best in the league. Stand tall and know this will not last. And come trade deadline when good ol’ Ken will make the trade this team needs. I think we need a gritty sniper/PF who has never won a cup. Iginla would be a perfect fit. He’s got the drive no one else has as a majority in the Wings locker room have hoisted the most beautiful trophy in sports. Plus he has said before how much he respects the Wings and especially Babcock.

Tonite will be a measuring stick of how much the Wings want to win. Beating San Jose is a matter of pride.

L.G.R.W!!!!!

Posted by hockeygirl25 from Calgary on 11/17/11 at 03:13 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I think if the “19” already “know” that the Wings lack the heart of a champion, then I am no longer part of the 19.

Because there’s no way I’m letting that garbage speak for me as a fan.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 11/17/11 at 03:32 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 11/17/11 at 12:32 PM ET

Pardon my poor grammar skills.

^^ intended as a general observation ^^

^^ my personal observation ^^

I do try to avoid any generalization at all.  I am not so presumptuous to speak for anyone else.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 11/17/11 at 04:22 PM ET

calquake's avatar

or as Bettwad calls it, parity.
Posted by RWBill from above a steaming pile of vomit. on 11/17/11 at 10:55 AM ET

I agree Bill.  I don’t think enough consideration is given to that point.  Bettwad wants a different team to win the Cup every year.  Nearly every team emulates the Wings style of play.  I swear that if you put the Red and White on that team in teal you’d think it was the Wings.  Watching them play (I get to see them fairly often) they are the Wings 2.0 if you will.  If Bert would play more like Dallas Drake and the Wings picked up someone like Selanne at the deadline (he could be available if the Ducks don’t make the playoffs) they would be just fine.  I have no idea where or how the Wings will finish but I’ll always root for them.  I have no use for bandwagons or the people that use them.  That doesn’t mean I won’t criticize them for lackluster play but I’m no pharmacist and don’t pretend to know more than Tick-Tock or Kenny.

(Sidenote: Somebody please stop me!  Ever since I was named president at the stupid meeting I’ve been feeling the need to write paragraphs of semi-reason)  LOL

Posted by calquake on 11/17/11 at 04:29 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Thanks, Okie.

This:

1,900 times This.

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 11/17/11 at 04:29 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Thanks Oakie!!

quote]“How many thought it was an absolute disgrace that no Wing stepped-up after Kronwall suffered that ridiculously cheap shot (and isn’t that a glaring condemnation, repeated ad nauseum these past several years).”

Somebody, anybody, hell even the equipment guy…has to get pissed off.  Probert, McCarty, Downey, Kocur, Shanahan, The Captain…it did not matter what the score was the message was clear, do not tread on any Wing player.  Lately, we play with poise. Poise.  The announcerpersonman said it the other night, “The Wings have the poise back from the first period.”  Poise.  I don’t want poise I want a fricking Cup!

To paraphrase that olde poster,

Poise, my a**, I want to kill something.

Next thing you know the Wings will be “affable”....

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, for the 23rd postseason.... on 11/17/11 at 04:49 PM ET

Behind_Enemy_Lines's avatar

TY for GDT Okie

If this is true:

First, San Jose mirrored us.  Now, we’re mirroring San Jose.
Sigh…
Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 11/17/11 at 10:55 AM ET

Does this timeline follow the employment and departure of Todd McLellan?

Jimmy is a freak. #11, #13, #51 and #40 need to step it the f up. I was not thinking about the crash and it’s effect on 13, so I will let him off the hook for the past 16 games (vomit). Time to dry those tears now Pav. Don’t shit the bed again tonight Wings, I’m sure the sheet count is getting pretty low…..

Posted by Behind_Enemy_Lines from Evanston,IL on 11/17/11 at 04:50 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

You mean like the beeline Stu made for for Stewart immediately after? Or how Z and Mule were in on it within seconds too?  The only reason Stewart wasn’t mauled was because Stu in red lost his balance and the officials stepped in quick. The response from the wings looked nothing like the hesitant “what do we do now” bit of pushing that resulted in from Buffalo. And I feel pretty confident that Abby, Ericsson, and probably Commodore would’ve been after Stewart had he not received a game misconduct.

I don’t buy this lack of character. Some system problems and lack of confidence along with a little bad luck, sure. But you cant get me to believe they’re not trying.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 11/17/11 at 05:09 PM ET

#11, #13, #51 and #40 need to step it the f up.

I’m not really sure why you’ve got #51 in there, he’s got six points in his last five games and as streaky as he’s been he’s still on pace to absolutely blow away his career high in points.

Posted by Garth on 11/17/11 at 06:10 PM ET

Thanks, Jeff.

Johan Franzen (LW/RW) 9 pts in last 5 GP

Wouldn’t one of those points be an assist for the B’Lose?  Heh…

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 11/17/11 at 07:14 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Thank you OAkie.

Bitches.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 11/17/11 at 08:00 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

But you cant get me to believe they’re not trying.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 11/17/11 at 02:09 PM ET

Nate, I don’t doubt they try most of the time.  But the last half of that STL game raises alot of questions. The system works most of the time, and we will win our share of games.  But fuch, there used to be more, alot more passion in the Winged wheel.

What get in a little scrum, a little pushing/shoving.  Fuch that.  That was just a pure ass cheap shot, and deserved way more than a little “pushback.”  Fuching Kronner was damn near killed.  Several Wings jerseys should have annilahted Stewart, Ref’s be damned.

What I’m trying to get at, in the whole damn post, whatever happened to the mental make-up of this “team?”  Where is the “I hate to lose” mentality?  What happened to taking a stand for a teammate?  Shit like the STL game, and others lead me to believe it isn’t part of the Wings make up anymore - -  if it is, it is hiding awfully fuching well.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 11/17/11 at 08:38 PM ET