Abel to Yzerman

Finals Preview?

No, that will come on 13 December when the Wings play Pittsburgh.  Tonight is something almost as special though.  As Okie pointed out this morning, “we” have ourselves a measuring stick game.

And if the rulers are coming out, brother…

Wait.  A word of caution to all the high-brow readers who haven’t blocked A2Y from their KK front page yet: I’m going to do something juvenile and borderline obscene after the click.

If the rulers are coming out then you’d better believe Uncle Mike’s got his Conk ready.

I told you.  I’m sorry. But I did.

And speaking of dicks, don’t think the Wings have forgotten about this one.

September 6, Washington Post

The Caps’ new goalie said he chose Washington over Detroit for a few reasons, most notably the fact that he believes the Caps are closer to winning it all than the Wings.

“Looking at Washington’s lineup compared to Detroit, they are comparable teams,” Vokoun said. “But Detroit in last 10 years won three times Stanley Cup. And Washington never won it. But that’s a lot better challenge for me and the team, to be able to do something special.”

He later added: “My belief is this team has a better chance to win than Detroit does. And they showed a lot more interest, so that was the key for me, too.”

We may not have realized it then, way back in September, but Tomas Vokoun provided the Wings with their first STFU moment of the season and I’ll bet more than a few Swedes and probably a Russian all took a minute to check their schedules.

It should make for a special night in the capital, special for the thousands of transplants who will fill the Verizon Center and even more warm and unique for Vokoun as he’s reminded, again, to keep the word “Detroit” out of his mouth.

I woke up wondering this morning, though, if Tommy’s still got the same problem with his mouth.  I clicked on over to the Post, hoping for a bit more ammo, but couldn’t get past the headline in hockey-crazed DC’s main paper.

image

Hey, they spelled “Red Wings” right. I guess that’s all that matters.

Now as for Tommy? Well, since he’s moved to DC he’s been reading up on the wacky Constitution and he’s found some parts he likes.

“It’s a free market and I believe in free markets,” he said. “That’s why I like living in the U.S. It didn’t work out for me in a sense because I didn’t get what I was expecting. But it’s a free market and I can live with it. I never had a chance to be a free agent. I always signed contracts before they expired and I thought, ‘I’m 35, why not try one?’

“In a sense I got burned a little bit, but that’s life. What are you gonna do?”

Yep.  That’s life.  Most likely it’s life to the tune of about 4 pucks buzzing past that big mouth and into the net tonight.  We’ll see how the tale of the measuring tape turns out then.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

And they showed a lot more interest, so that was the key for me, too.”

Guess K.H. hurt his feelings.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 10/22/11 at 03:33 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Treat em like Jose three or four , or Turco. Great locker room posting material. Good excuse for a circus breakout. Step right up folks.

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 10/22/11 at 03:33 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Working for Bubba must cause mental issues, maybe all those damn whistles down there.

Should be a great tilt tonight, great for US.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 10/22/11 at 04:44 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Khan(!) confirms:

Forward Fabian Brunnstrom will make his Red Wings debut, replacing Tomas Holmstrom. Patrick Eaves is in for Drew Miller and Ty Conklin will start in goal.
“(Brunnstrom) is going to be in a good situation,’’ Babcock said. “I’m staying with (Cory) Emmerton because he’s a center. Emmerton’s been good, but Miller’s been good, too. Tough decisions.’‘

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 10/22/11 at 04:46 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Ode to a Toad

This is the story of Tommy Vokoun,
who got a Panthers offer that didn’t make him swoon.
So he packed up his bags and headed for the road,
thinking he was a prince; but, alas, just a toad.

He went to the Capital, where nothing gets done.
He didn’t want Hockeytown. He wanted to be Number One.
That was fine with Tick Tock, who wished him “Good luck.”
But Tommy kept talkin’, and Detroit said, “What the f*ck?”

So now there’s a big battle to settle it all.
And everyone knows Tommy’s in for a fall.
So tonight comes the Circus, the Kids, and the Saint.
All to make Tommy wish that he was where he ain’t.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 10/22/11 at 04:53 PM ET

Hey, Chief.  Just glad you’re home and consuming mass quantities of fried chicken from the Filipino chicken shack behind the house.  Or Yeungling, whatever keeps you sane.

Two words:  Pavel Datsyuk.

Posted by SYF from Ball's Hill on 10/22/11 at 05:09 PM ET

As a Pens fan, the best outcome would be a mushroom cloud over the Verizon Center, but I have to say that I side with you guys on this one. The Capitals are pretenders, and I just can’t stomach the annual hype.

Vokoun sounds eerily like someone else we all know who searched several teams looking for the one that could get him the Holy Grail. The 3rd try was the charm. Wonder where Vokoun will be next year on that search?

Posted by VAHockeyFan on 10/22/11 at 05:35 PM ET

w2j2's avatar

3 Stars for Older Than Chelios!
The 19 now have a Poet Laureate!
OTC, free drinks for you in the Hasek Car this evening!

I must be getting old…I can still remember winning the Stanley Cup in D.C.!!!

Posted by w2j2 on 10/22/11 at 05:36 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

I must be getting old…I can still remember winning the Stanley Cup in D.C.!!!

The post game will be with me forever.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 10/22/11 at 05:43 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Caught this gem over at NHL.com:

“Obviously, he was touched by a wand by God. He’s beyond gifted mentally and physically, but the thing I think is very neat about Nick is that he’s embraced doing the same, simple things every day. That’s what a pro does. You come in and do the same monotonous things every day and you love doing it.”—Red Wings coach Mike Babcock on Nicklas Lidstrom

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 10/22/11 at 05:56 PM ET

AndrewFromAnnArbor's avatar

The post game will be with me forever.

Given how many Caps fans yelled at the Chief on the Metro that evening, I expect it’ll be with him forever toon.

And as a well-endowed fellow, I never thought I’d say this, but I’m getting REALLY SICK of the term “measuring stick.”  (Come to think of it, that could also apply if I was below-averagely endowed…but I’m not).  In any case, I understand, class of the League and all that, yada yada, and I understand that Bruce Boudreau makes his living through coaching and the occasional Barry Trotz impersonation and not as being a wordsmith, but really…it’s just lazy soundbiting.  Come on, man.  How about playing it as your young hopefuls versus those with the rings?  Now that’s a storyline we don’t get in October, right?

Whatever.  There was another cocky Mitteleuropano with very little experience of the postseason who was also blown away the first time he played the Wings when it counted.  If Vokoun doesn’t think that the 1500th game for the greatest defenseman to ever pull the Winged Wheel over his head counts, then I hope he likes the taste of frozen rubber.

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 10/22/11 at 06:05 PM ET

w2j2's avatar

So Lidstrom was Harry Potter in a previous life, annointed by Dumbledore’s Wand?  And he starred at Quidditch?  And I thought Babcock was a muggle!

Posted by w2j2 on 10/22/11 at 06:09 PM ET

stayouttamalibu's avatar

As a Pens fan

The Capitals are pretenders, and I just can’t stomach the annual hype

Oh the irony.

Posted by stayouttamalibu from California on 10/22/11 at 07:09 PM ET

Oh the irony.

You do know that the Pens won a Stanley Cup relatively recently, right?  And the year before that they made the finals?  That hardly makes them pretenders.

Posted by Garth on 10/22/11 at 07:37 PM ET

stayouttamalibu's avatar

I was mainly referring to the “stomaching the annual hype” aspect.

Posted by stayouttamalibu from California on 10/22/11 at 08:47 PM ET

I was mainly referring to the “stomaching the annual hype” aspect.

Fair enough.

Posted by Garth on 10/22/11 at 10:50 PM ET

SandysWingingit's avatar

What kind of wicked head games are we playing with Vokoun, essentially reaffirming his assessment of the team with the better chance at the Cup with that display the Red Wings put on last night? It’s gonna be so cruel when we have to burst that bubble later….

Posted by SandysWingingit on 10/23/11 at 03:53 PM ET