Abel to Yzerman

Documenting The Suck: Game 7

Golly.  Didn’t see this coming…

Wow 6 games and you whine like a child. It makes me sick! If I was a wings fan I would tell you to man up. Maybe you need to forget about the wings for a while and work on yor entitlement issues. You blatantly offend other fans because your godly hockey team lost 6 games.

I hate the wings with a passion and I wish your journey of suffering was long and drawn out…but Im sure in a few weeks this will all be behind you and you can blog about how awesome the wings are.

Heck. I’ll blog about how awesome they are today. No need to wait.  But we’ll tackle a few other issues first.  That comment, of course, was in reaction to this post yesterday.

And it didn’t stop there. Oh, no.  We had one fella telling us that it’s up to “us”, the Wing fans to make a course correction.  Fix the problem.  Band together as a fan base and Tick Tock Ken Holland will listen.  I think it was Forlorn in Va who responded along these lines….if Holland ever makes one personnel move in reaction to what I or some other fan says? Fire him. Fire him immediately.  Jesus.  Oh, and get over to that comment section now and read JJ’s methodical deconstruction of “Pipes”.  An instant A2Y classic moment.

And here’s an interesting ditty from one of KK’s new bloggers, a BJ fan.

Detroit fans, it’s time to allow yourself to sink down and be one of us for a while. Come drink our warm whiskey and try your luck with the loosest girl in town. Enjoy the game and stop getting OCD over a damn hockey team and grow to enjoy your share of the slashes.

I’m not saying Detroit won’t come back, just chill. You suck right now, we all do sometimes. Don’t get your panties in a twist. Believe it or not the Red Wings aren’t Gods of Hockey…

An interesting twist.  Not only are we getting the expected brilliance from the acknowledged Wing haters, but now we have Columbus bloggers telling us to “enjoy the game” and stop getting “OCD over a damn hockey team.”  Ah yes.  The adults have spoken.

STFU.  You’ve been blogging about a shit team for 3 minutes.  I’m a Wing fan.  I don’t “enjoy” the game unless the Wings win.  In fact, “the game” is not what I enjoy at all.  What I “enjoy” is the Wings dominating teams like yours.  What I “enjoy” are Stanley Cup parades and an earned arrogance like something only Montreal fans can understand.

“Chill”, eh?  I’ll pass.  Thanks.

I guess this was expected.  Resolve.  Or at least what appears, on the public face of things, to be resolve.

Detroit News

“You have to go through this,” said Zetterberg, as his team prepares to host Anaheim tonight. “When we get through this, we’ll get stronger. We just have to find a way to get through it and move on.”

Yeah, you do.  I’m sure in February, traditionally the month when the Wings really suck ass, we’ll all look back at this and say, “man…we needed November.  It really strengthened this team to go through a stretch where we led the league in shots but scored six times in six games.  From a character standpoint it was just invaluable…”.  And then, in May, when we get the 5th seed instead of the 4th and we travel to Anaheim or Edmonton or LA?  Talk to me then about how you “had to go through this”.  Hey, how’d that Game 7 turn out last year…in San Jose?  Home ice is nifty.  Try it some time.

Is that “getting OCD over a damn game”?  Sorry.

Khan(!), that little muck raker, brings us something that should just warm your cockles this morning.  Yep, I said “cockles”.  Tick Tock took a little trip yesterday and I’m betting it’s one he hasn’t made five times in fifteen years.

Coaches met individually with players before practice Friday. Holland met with team leaders. Captain Nicklas Lidstrom has addressed the team.

Tick Tock and the “team leaders”, eh?  You know what’s coming.  Who the hell would that be?  And this won’t surprise you either…when Holland met with the “team leaders”, how’d Kris Draper react?  Did he and the other leaders respond positively to that? Did Draper…oh, sorry.  He “retired”. Got it.

All sorts of meetings.  Quiet conversations. Hushed tones. Nods.  Resolve.  I’m sure everything will turn around tonite against the *#$%@& poultry.  Woops. Are my “panties in a twist”?

If so, it’s because you’re wrong Nick.  The Wings are “Gods of hockey.”  The Cups, the banners, the rings, the consecutive playoff appearances, the fans all over the world.  It’s a proven fact and a six-game losing streak does nothing to change that.  Stay up on that perch and give us your sage advice, but remember…we’re Wing fans.  It may not sink in.  Nor should it.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 3 >       Next »

VooX's avatar

You can take the Wins away from the Red Wings, but you can’t take the STFU away from the Chief or the 19.  Swagger like Jagger, bitches.

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 11/05/11 at 01:23 PM ET

Tuba Guy's avatar

Not sure if I should go to tonight’s game. I haven’t seen a victory in person since the 2009-2010 season.  My apologies in advance.

Posted by Tuba Guy from Royal Oak, MI on 11/05/11 at 01:34 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Only you could make me feel good about a six game losing streak Chief.  Lets hope the “team leaders” were scolded like little children and made to stand in the corner for a few hours.

The Wings have had a few good games in the past week.  But they haven’t gotten effort from all of their lines.  Lookin’ at you Franzen, Bertuzzi, and Filppula.  Hopefully the team leaders gave these guys a good “shit rolls down hill” ass chewing after they were released from the corners of Tick Tock’s office.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 11/05/11 at 01:37 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Passion

(defined by the Detroit Red Wings)

the hate to lose. period.

bring it tonight, boys. bring the passion tonight.

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 11/05/11 at 01:42 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Come drink our warm whiskey and try your luck with the loosest girl in town.

I thought the 19 already lived that way. This Lorenzi guy really doesn’t know much about KK’s Wings fans, does he?

...how’d Kris Draper react?  Did he and the other leaders respond positively to that? Did Draper…oh, sorry.  He “retired”. Got it.

Saw a bit of the WMU vs U of M game last night, and in the rafters watching it all were Tick Tock, Bobcock, Draper and (supposedly) Blashill and Peters. I’m guessing they were there to see how hockey should really be played, and maybe to pick up some pointers from the new Broncos coach, Andy Murray.

But just seeing Drapes leaning over the rail and staring intently at the action made me wish he was back in uniform again. I don’t think he’d be spewing the ridiculous platitudes that come out of the mouths of Babs and Hank these days.

And during the game tonight, when Bert takes his third idiotic penalty or hands over the puck for the fifth time on a blind, behind-the-back pass, mull this quote from Griffins coach Curt Fraser over in your mind…

“What a great addition for us,” Fraser said. “Big, strong, skates like the wind, good skill. Terrific. Hopefully we have him for a while.”

Wanna guess who he’s taking about?

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 11/05/11 at 01:50 PM ET

christpuncher's avatar

Thanks Chief! You rock! I feel bad for the Ducks…Kinda…Not really…

Posted by christpuncher from Detroit, MI on 11/05/11 at 01:53 PM ET

christpuncher's avatar

Ha! As I cruse by “Khan’s site”, I read “Burt sits”, well, they claim it’s an injury, but we all know what time it is…

Posted by christpuncher from Detroit, MI on 11/05/11 at 01:58 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Thanks, Chief.

Dear Hank:  I love ya, but stop talking about finding a way. FIND IT. TONIGHT.

As always,  LET’S GO RED WINGS !!!!!

Posted by MsRedWinger from the State where Tigers roam in the Spring on 11/05/11 at 02:02 PM ET

SnLO's avatar

Wanna guess who he’s taking about?

Brunnstrom

Posted by SnLO from beyond the M-1 on 11/05/11 at 02:11 PM ET

Wings_Fan_In_KC's avatar

Swagger like Jagger!

THAT right there is why fans of other two bit teams hate us so much.  We swagger even when there’s no reason to do so.  It’s part of being a Wings fan, as in FANATIC.

You want humble pie eatin’, “enjoy the game” types?  Go to STL, CLB or COL and you’ll find them.  In here we’re the “rape, pillage and burn” types and we’re looking for victims.

As my long suffering Detroit Lions fan Uncle once said after a Sucktown Bears fan said something about “his” team…....“F*ck you and anyone who looks like you!”

Posted by Wings_Fan_In_KC from ...somewhere southwest of The Motor City... on 11/05/11 at 02:15 PM ET

EDJ's avatar

Blue Jackets fans? I didn’t know they exist. There are Red Wings fans and people that wish they had a real team. The Red Wings give us something to live for.

We live and die with the Red Wings.

You’re telling us to grow up? We’re hockey fans so we don’t have to grow up. Otherwise we’d be out there playing for ourselves. No, the Red Wings allow us to be part of the game.

We live and die with the Red Wings.

We are like Montreal fans. Arrogance? Hell yeah. We eat arrogance for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and then as a midnight snack because we can’t have enough. Like Montreal. Except we don’t speak French and we don’t suck. LGRW

We live and die with the Red Wings.

Then why don’t we have more faith? Why can’t we relax and enjoy the game? Either you have faith of steel or you don’t care enough. We will wear our tin foil hats and blame Gary Bettman every season for loaning out the Cup to some team that will get its grimy fingerprints all over it. And that worries us.

We live and die with the Red Wings.

Wait, we devolve into whiny bitches every time we lose? Yes, yes we do. You spend two and a half hours every few days watching your games but we spend twenty-four hours everyday and maybe more anxious about the next Red Wings game. Why? Because we’re on the Stress Train. When the ride’s smooth, we’re on it. When it’s bumpy, we’re on it. And when it crashes, we’re on it.

Because we live and die with the Red Wings.

Posted by EDJ on 11/05/11 at 02:19 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Wanna guess who he’s taking about?

Brunnstrom

Bingo. After just one game, Fraser sees very clearly what Fabian brings to his team. Makes you wonder why the Wings couldn’t find a spot for a guy like that.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 11/05/11 at 02:20 PM ET

Nicholas Lorenzi's avatar

I don’t “enjoy” the game unless the Wings win.

You’ve been spoiled and lost your way. Just remember that this is the greatest sport in history and enjoy it. Don’t become the emo-fan everyone hates. Depressed all day because your team lost. If I were that way I would’ve offed myself a loooong time ago.

Every game is a battle and you should be happy just to watch it. Detroit isn’t the Goliath you once knew.

STFU.  You’ve been blogging about a shit team for 3 minutes.

Real mature on all counts, DIAF. I’ve been a fan since day one and have seen the few ups and many downs. I don’t expect Columbus to fail, I’m just excepting of it. Their winning streak will come, like it does every year. They just keep yanking the cord of the Jacket’s weed whacker and I’ll be damn if it doesn’t start soon.

Just because I’m new here doesn’t mean jack. You should show some courtesy to
a fan that deals with a losing team when you’re on the fast track to become just like me. O_O

You guys will never learn. The NHL fan base is going to be plagued by your fans for years to come. Constantly blaming the officiating for your losses, confused as to why it’s so easy for a team to roll you over. Dragging your feet to see the greatest sport known to man live.

I thought I could learn something from you wings fans and I think I did. To never EVER become you. When Columbus wins the Stanley cup or hell even the Campbell Bowl I won’t ever forget that it was a hard road to get there. More importantly that I didn’t whine when it was happening.

And btw they are geared to get the cup from now til 2017(<-delusions of grandeur in times of a slump), laugh because I know you will.

I’m sorry but you are SORELY mistaken. I am NOT in ANYWAY a Wings hater. There has been no evidence of that in anything I’ve said. I have just been patting you guys on the back while wiping your tears and telling you to get over it. Bezukov and I have been friends for 12 years now and I’ve NEVER given him shit for liking the Red Wings, in fact we drive up to Detroit every year while I wear a Red Wings jersey.

I’m an ex wings fan. Why was I a wings fan? Because obviously being in Ohio before 2000 meant you had to pick the Penguins or the Red Wings. Because I wasn’t a dick when I was a kid I picked Detroit. I’m a fan of watching them play but not a fan of the moans I’m reading here today. I’m just trying to be nice. This entire time I’ve just been trying to get you to understand that sometimes those guys in red lose, it’s just important to never abandon ship like many other fans do. That’s a problem with some fans.

I don’t goto Jackets games to see a win, I go to GO.

Good luck against Anaheim tonight. I doubt you’ll need it. If Columbus could be them then I’m sure you can. Then again, they did beat Minnesota and took Washington to an overtime. Scratch that, you’ll probably win.

Posted by Nicholas Lorenzi on 11/05/11 at 02:21 PM ET

Forlorn in VA's avatar

I’m just excepting of it.

I am taking exception to your misuse of the word except.  I should just accept that not everyone is a wordsmith, but I find I’m just not that accepting.

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 11/05/11 at 02:26 PM ET

SnLO's avatar

Makes you wonder why the Wings couldn’t find a spot for a guy like that.

The emperor decreed that Brunnsrom is recalled today here

Posted by SnLO from beyond the M-1 on 11/05/11 at 02:26 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I’m sorry but you are SORELY mistaken. I am NOT in ANYWAY a Wings hater.

I believe it.

I just think you’re jealous of Wings fans’ swagger.  And that’s ok.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 11/05/11 at 02:27 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

I’m an ex wings fan.

Awesome. You just typed like a thousand words and those five (six with the contraction) are the only ones that matter.

“Ex Wing fans” = zero credibility.  “Except” it.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 11/05/11 at 02:29 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

You guys will never learn.

And yet here you are trying to teach us anyway…

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 11/05/11 at 02:30 PM ET

dougie's avatar

Below, please find something I posted on Georges blog last night,after I read some comments aboot our TWENTY YEAR playoff record being endangered. THAT just crossed my line.

So, it’s noon…..and I’m feeling manly. Just grilled chicken wings and thighs, while simultaneously smoking a 12 lb. Boston Butt that will come off about 7 pm. Deeply rubbed with my homemade “Burn yer Bunghole for 2 Days Chipotle and Habanero Rub”. And I am already deep into a gallon of 8.3% Double Strong Ale from my local Big Boss Brewery.

Some gayrod came in there last night inquiring whether their beer was “vegan friendly”.
Jesse, the bartender, told him “NO!! Our our beer SHITS on your vegan beer. Please leave.” Made my day.

Please know that anything from me the rest of the day will be an unapologetic drunken rant.

Again, my post to the handwringers at Malik last night.  I offer the same bet to anyone on A2Y.

For any of you who SERIOUSLY think our 20 year playoff run may be over….....Let me offer you 10 to 1 odds. You bet 10 bucks, and the day the playoffs start this season, without the Red Wings playing I will send you a hundred bucks.

Put your money up, or shut the *#$%@& up.

Posted by dougie on 11/04/11 at 08:45 PM E

Posted by dougie on 11/05/11 at 02:30 PM ET

Behind_Enemy_Lines's avatar

They all like to talk shit right now, but every single person who does always follows up or starts with: “I’m not saying Detroit won’t come back” or “You guys will be fine,but..”
Even though they want to talk shit, and they think they should, deep down inside they know we are Gods and they should not blaspheme.  LGRW

Posted by Behind_Enemy_Lines from Evanston,IL on 11/05/11 at 02:31 PM ET

Nicholas Lorenzi's avatar

I’m an ex wings fan.

“Ex Wing fans” = zero credibility.  “Except” it.

I never knew how childish this would get. As long as a point was made in a comment box on the internet spelling matters little. You won’t find me calling someone out for petty things like this.

Enjoy your day children.

GO JACKETS!

Posted by Nicholas Lorenzi on 11/05/11 at 02:34 PM ET

Alzy's avatar

Oh happy day! Penaltuzzi(yes i’m gonna try to introduce a new nickname for him) is out tonight. For the love of god Detroit, PLEASE win by a landslide so Uncle Mike keeps him out of the lineup.

LET’S GO RED WINGS (exclamation point)

Posted by Alzy from Cambridge, Ontario, Canada on 11/05/11 at 02:36 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

And like that, the tail tucks, but the ego swells.

A common exit strategy for those who want to dish it out, but who can’t take it.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 11/05/11 at 02:37 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

Some of us here grew up following this team in a dark and hideous time called the 70s and 80s.  Most of us have decided however that we like winning a whole helluva fuchin’ lot better than we liked losing.  Get back to me with your morality play after yout team sucks ass and blows shit chunks for another fifteen years or so.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 11/05/11 at 02:40 PM ET

Nicholas Lorenzi's avatar

Shit was not spoken, that’s what people aren’t seeing. That Pittsburgh fan that signed up for KK yesterday started the shit tossing.

Place your rage correctly. I only say that the Wings will arrive back on the winning train because EVERY TEAM hops on that train EVERY season. What it important is how long you ride it and where it takes you.

Posted by Nicholas Lorenzi on 11/05/11 at 02:41 PM ET

Behind_Enemy_Lines's avatar

This is so *#$%@& stupid that I have nothing funnier to say than to post the ignorant statement again for your enjoyment. All that keeps going through my head when I read that is: derrrp. I need to watch some TPH highlights to counter the stupid that invaded my brain.

Posted by Behind_Enemy_Lines from Evanston,IL on 11/05/11 at 02:42 PM ET

Nicholas Lorenzi's avatar

It doesn’t matter to me I’ll still be watching. I am a sucker for an ice hockey game.

Posted by Nicholas Lorenzi on 11/05/11 at 02:44 PM ET

Behind_Enemy_Lines's avatar

Not shit talk? Sinking to your level? I would rather kick myself in the dick and stab hot pokers in my eyes than sink down to the level of a Columbus fan. That is almost the worst thing you could say to me.

I don’t goto Jackets games to see a win, I go to GO.

Case and point.

Posted by Behind_Enemy_Lines from Evanston,IL on 11/05/11 at 02:51 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

I don’t goto Jackets games to see a win, I go to GO.

Wow, just like church bingo night.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 11/05/11 at 02:53 PM ET

Behind_Enemy_Lines's avatar

Hey Nick I thought I might add that it is fun to spar with a BJ fan. I have never met one in real life before.There have been documentations of findings, but to chat with one on the interweb is really neat.

Posted by Behind_Enemy_Lines from Evanston,IL on 11/05/11 at 02:56 PM ET

You shouldn’t be using proper grammar and spelling because it’s the internet, you should be using proper grammar and spelling because you are a grown up person.

Posted by Garth on 11/05/11 at 02:58 PM ET

Nicholas Lorenzi's avatar

We are the few. Most fans that attend games are families just having a good night hard. I’m trying to get the hardcore fan base going after 11 years of shit. We suck and we know it. Knowing is half the battle.

If you really hate me, then start commenting on my blogs. It’s hard to get ANY attention on a site that is predominately Red Wings fans but is also trying to suck fans in from all teams. Being rude just kills the site and we don’t want that now do we? Attract more people because this is getting annoying.

Btw this has been a blast for me too. Learning that when I type fast that I key in incorrect words that I don’t go back to edit and that not all hockey fans are the same.

Posted by Nicholas Lorenzi on 11/05/11 at 03:05 PM ET

Forlorn in VA's avatar

Posted by Behind_Enemy_Lines from somewhere in the North….Winter Is Coming on 11/05/11 at 12:56 PM ET

Didn’t I introduce you to my brother-in-law?  He is of the same “I was a Red Wing fan until Ohio got a team” ilk.

There’s another BJ fan that trolls my nieces Facebook.  I tell her it’s her own damn fault for going to Ohio State.

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 11/05/11 at 03:05 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

from the GDT:

Brunnstrom recalled. Burt sick and Eaves still out with back issue.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 11/05/11 at 12:05 PM ET

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 11/05/11 at 03:08 PM ET

Nicholas Lorenzi's avatar

Ha! Screw OSU, football to be more specific. I’m anticipating their fall because the rebuilding process will be more exciting than their constant winning. It’s not worth buying a ticket to a game you will probably leave because the score is 45-3.

Wait, what have I become? What is a win?! MY MIND!!!!!!

Posted by Nicholas Lorenzi on 11/05/11 at 03:10 PM ET

Forlorn in VA's avatar

and that not all hockey fans are the same.

Posted by Nicholas Lorenzi on 11/05/11 at 01:05 PM ET

You had to come to A2Y to figure that out?

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 11/05/11 at 03:12 PM ET

jennyquarx's avatar

I’ve just read through the last four threads and you guys fill my heart with happiness.  I have missed you.

Posted by jennyquarx on 11/05/11 at 03:18 PM ET

dougie's avatar

Yeah, I hear ya, This is the place to be, iff’n you are a Wings fan.

Posted by dougie on 11/05/11 at 03:23 PM ET

Nicholas Lorenzi's avatar

and that not all hockey fans are the same.

Posted by Nicholas Lorenzi on 11/05/11 at 01:05 PM ET

You had to come to A2Y to figure that out?

I guess I did. Come to Nationwide Arena. This isn’t in invite to be rude or to fight, it’s just an open invite to anyone to go see the Wings play for $10 in February with yours truly. I’ll buy anyone a beer as a sign of a treaty.

If not you could see me at Joe Louis in January. I won’t be hard to spot. I’ll be in a Wisniewski jersey screaming my flipping head off.

Jackets fans were mostly Detroit fans at one time but Ohio pride is Ohio pride. Don’t forget that. No hard feelings and again good luck tonight, I’d really like to see the Ducks get squashed again.

Posted by Nicholas Lorenzi on 11/05/11 at 03:36 PM ET

Forlorn in VA's avatar

Posted by Nicholas Lorenzi on 11/05/11 at 01:36 PM ET

None of my trips to see family coincide with the Wings playing at Nationwide this year.  I am going to see the Bruins there though.

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 11/05/11 at 03:43 PM ET