Abel to Yzerman

Delusional Daddy, Dumb Or Devious?

Shocking.  Two straight posts claiming Jim Howard as the league’s best goalie and “suddenly” (less than an hour after our final Howard post), Puck Daddy’s got a post of his own listing the top 5...a list that doesn’t include JFH.  Not only does the list not include Howard, the entire post is missing that one single name (minus a reference claiming Quick as the Team USA goaltender in 2014).  So, not only does he not rank in Greg’s top five, but when you include the other 8 he throws in there who could be mentioned by his genius readers?  Yeah…Jim Howard’s not even in the top 13.

Here’s what we know about Wyshynski…he’s not necessarily anti-Wing, but he definitely knows how to push our buttons.  And that’s exactly what he’s doing today.  Naturally, I fall for it (with “faux” outrage, of course) and the hits just keep coming at the search engine.

And “objective” or not, it’s always interesting to see a “neutral” blogger who writes something just to agitate a particular fan base, especially when the post in question is so remarkably idiotic.  Howard…not in the top 13?  Seriously.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

yreland's avatar

I prefer to ignore Wysh and do not visit his dumbed down hockey blog.

Posted by yreland from Hockey's black hole South Carolina on 12/03/11 at 05:57 PM ET

Well to be fair, Puck Daddy’s not in the top 13 hockey blogs either… so it sort of balances out, right?

Posted by HockeyinHD on 12/03/11 at 06:02 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

The hell?

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 12/03/11 at 06:05 PM ET

ANYTHING related to Yahoo in general is a complete fu*king waste.

Posted by godblender on 12/03/11 at 06:09 PM ET

Don’t blame him, it’s his parents fault that he’s an ignorant bitch.

Posted by cementslinger from Midland MI on 12/03/11 at 06:11 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Maybe it’s a ranking of the top goalies who are on the All Star Ballot tongue laugh

And already selecting the 2014 team USA goalies??????

We all know it’s gonna be UM alum Al Montoya right??????

Posted by Down River Dan on 12/03/11 at 06:28 PM ET

I’m of the emphatic “FUCH YOU” to PD and his groupies.

Posted by SYF from Twerkin' with Anastasia Ashley on 12/03/11 at 07:01 PM ET

I think this is overreacting. (And I’m a Wings fan.) He does mention Howard.

“5. Pekka Rinne, Nashville Predators

This could have been Ryan Miller, but I’m not entirely sure we’ll see him as good as he was in 2009-10 again. This should have been Roberto Luongo; maybe if he gets out of Vancouver it might be again. This could have been Carey Price or Jimmy Howard, but I think the Predators keeper is just a bit better.” [emphasis added]

Wysh is a Devils fan, and he’s no Red Wings booster, but I don’t think he’s completely unfair here. Howard is having a stellar season so far. He isn’t yet in the top five in save percentage though, which is arguably the strongest indicator of goaltender quality. Wins is complicated by the quality of the team as whole. And of course any goaltender playing behind Nick Lidstrom and the rest of the defensively responsible Red Wings is going to have to be more than above average to be able to demonstrate that he isn’t just getting bailed out by his team every night. You can make similar arguments against including Rinne, but Rinne has a longer track record of being consistently excellent.

Now, I wouldn’t trade Jimmy for any other goal tender in the league right now. And I think he’s arguably in the top five, but I think Wyshynski acknowledges that.

If Jimmy plays this well for the entire season, then I think we’ll have a legitimate Vezina candidate on our hands. But we have to see how the next three quarters of the season go. Then we can bitch if he doesn’t get recognized.

Posted by anony2 on 12/03/11 at 07:14 PM ET

SolidTG7's avatar

The comments are even worse, trying to say the top 5 has had a lot of success before this year, remind me what Quick has ever done?

Posted by SolidTG7 on 12/03/11 at 07:41 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Puck Daddy comments are like the shit you’d expect to see scrawled on the bathroom walls at the Mos Eisley cantina.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 12/03/11 at 08:02 PM ET

Link_Gaetz's avatar

Posted by anony2 on 12/03/11 at 04:14 PM ET[/quote

Whoa, whoa, whoa….that is WAAAY too reasonable for this blog. Find another spot, son.

Posted by Link_Gaetz on 12/03/11 at 08:07 PM ET

monkey's avatar

It’s early still.  Al Montoya is 11th at .928 while Josh Harding is second at .938.  Jimmy’s .931 is right in that jumble.  Jimmy has a low 93%, top five would be high 93%.  Not exactly a canyon there.

Brian Elliot is killing it at .951, if he keeps this up he will be hard to catch.

Posted by monkey from Prague on 12/03/11 at 08:39 PM ET

calquake's avatar

I have to laugh when I read the reasons Jimmy isn’t yet a top netminder because of the team in front of him.  Oh really?  You mean the old and slow Red Wings who are going to fall on their face any season now?  Either Jimmy is a top ‘tender because of the old and slow team in front of him or Jimmy isn’t a top goalie because the team in front of him is so solid.  Which is it douchebags?  You can’t have it both ways.

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake, workin' on my manifesto on 12/03/11 at 09:34 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

You can’t have it both ways.

I found an alley in Bangkok where you could, but it cost a lot more.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 12/03/11 at 09:45 PM ET

calquake's avatar

You can’t have it both ways.

I found an alley in Bangkok where you could, but it cost a lot more.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 12/03/11 at 06:45 PM ET

Dude… I definitely want to travel with you.

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake, workin' on my manifesto on 12/03/11 at 10:49 PM ET

Wings_Fan_In_KC's avatar

JJ never fails to make me laugh whereas PD and his contributing bloggers never fail to make me puke.  It’s like opposite ends of the speculum…...er…...spectrum.

Posted by Wings_Fan_In_KC from ...somewhere southwest of The Motor City... on 12/04/11 at 12:46 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

I never read that Yahoo poor-excuse-for-a-blog.  And I don’t give a fuch what anybody thinks about our Jimmah.  We know how great he is and we’ll be laughing all the way to Cup #12 with Jimmah’s name on it.

And as for the All-Star Farce, it’s such a joke I wish none of the Red Wings had to be involved.  I think we should vote for all the players we hate and not for the Wings.  Let the Wings have a few days off while our enemies wear themselves out.

Posted by MsRedWinger from the State where Tigers roam in the Spring on 12/04/11 at 11:52 AM ET