Abel to Yzerman

“Dangle, dangle, dangle, pass and then goal.”

And that’s how you define Pavel Datsyuk, the best forward in hockey.  The quote’s from Big Jon Ericsson, hero to kids, man-child and suddenly dependable third-pairing defenseman for the greatest hockey team in the whole world.  Before we get into a completely non-biased analysis of last night’s come-from-behind-throw-your-child-in-the-air victory at the Joe?  I’d ask that you do me a favor and watch these two clips again.  There’s just so much to dissect, including the reaction of our two “homer” announcers.

And then…strap on your Hart monitor bitches because Datten’s in the house looking for a Panda and wrapping up a foal for the TPH (holy hell…if you’re new to A2Y I apologize).

Unfuckingbelievable.

Posted by Gabriel from San Diego, CA on 11/21/10 at 07:48 PM ET

Concur. And it is awesome, as SYF said last night, Ken and Mick sounded like little kids.  Mickey, on both goals, let loose with an articulate “Ohhhhhh!!!!!” just before both pucks sliced Kipper’s soul.

Hey, you know what’s fun? Here’s what I like to do. I like to look at Guralnick’s photos after the game and check out the crowd.  First, if you’re the parents of this redheaded kid?  Download these pictures in hi-res, frame ‘em and hang ‘em up.  Well, first you might want to send ‘em to the Flame PR guy and see if Kipper will sign them for you. I’m sure he’d be more than willing.

image image

And hey, dude, I don’t know you. I don’t know the stage this relationship’s in.  But, if this is your first date?  Move on.  Seriously. Look at her. She’s not counting the banners up there buddy.  She’s bored.  If you’re married? I get it. I’ve seen that look, but that was before I, you know, upgraded.  But if you’re still in the “wonder if this is the one” phase?  Yeah, ummm.  When the playoffs roll around, is this the woman who’s going to understand why you HAVE TO WATCH THE WINGS every other night for two months straight?

image

I didn’t think so.  Thank me later.

That was stunning.

Absolutely great shift from Helm.

And Kipper nearly got Lids’s shot. But he didn’t.

Captain Lidas meet douche captain Iginla. (Why the fuch is he star #2?)

As TDT pointed out: Sleep through most of the game and still win? We may have something special here.

Posted by Osrt on 11/21/10 at 07:48 PM ET

Sleep through the game is right.  They looked bad, like end of a long road trip bad, again, for the first fifty minutes of this game.  But, just like the clip we showed before the LB yesterday…that team had those qualities too.  The ‘02 Wings were so good, so immensely talented, that they had a tendency to sleep walk until the games got interesting and then turned it on.  Didn’t always work and it was always stressful, but the fun of it was in the knowing.  They knew. We knew.  And so did the other guy and the other fans.  Like this team?  Everyone knew that there was always a chance, a real good one, that a two goal deficit really doesn’t mean jack squat.
Calgary Sun

“They’re really skilled—(Pavel) Datsyuk, Zetterberg, go through it, (Johan) Franzen, (Brian) Rafalski, (Nicklas) Lidstrom—and when you give them time to just wheel at you, you’re gonna take penalties and be in your zone, and they’re going to have momentum.

“Give them credit, they always have confidence they can come back, but we feel like we helped them, too.”

You had a feeling when the 4 minute suck fest turned into an even-up four on four that we might be in for something cool.  Then you thought we were screwed when the puck left the zone with ten seconds left.  You shook your head in resignation when it was Datsyuk skating in 1 on 3 and then, like Ken, you got out of your seat and starting screaming like a little bitch even before he dished it to Hank.

So that was neat.

But Helmer. Out little Datten (thanks Paul, but that’s too good to pass up…I even considered editing that on the main page for you this morning, but it caught on so quick that I had to let it stay) turning into a by-god playmaker right before our eyes.  What is it about this kid that lets him get an ice-water injection when the game’s on the line?

No.  You don’t start Joey MacDonald this Wednesday, next Wednesday. Any Wednesday.  Now, if Wednesday was part of a back to back? Then maybe that’s a Wednesday to sit Howard?  But it’s not.  So don’t.  Howard starts.  And then Osgood gets himself a BJ.  Joey MacDonald is not a backup. He’s an emergency.  That’s it.

Dan(ny) Cleary out with an “upper body” injury and I suppose we’ll find out today.  Not good.  He’s been the engine the last ten days.  Modano with a shoulder and it looked worse then it probably is. I thought separation when it first happened.  Ericsson? I thought we were looking at many weeks.  Why…the…FUCH doesn’t every Wing wear those shin/ankle guard things?  Jesus. Visors is one thing. Vision and all that but c’mon already.  Get used to the discomfort and save us the aggravation, eh?

Every defenseman on this team is joining the play on practically every shift.  Every single one of them.  When’s the last time you saw TPH with so many chances close in? It’s happened so much the last two games that it’s as if he’s not used to it and he has to remember how to bury a chance close in.  Naturally, because he’s awesome, he seemed to recall that particular skill just in time.  But Kronwall, Ericsson, Stuart, even frigging Salei…they’ve all had unusually good chances in tight recently and it’s got to be a philosophy rather than a coincidence.  I dig it, but with a goalie who appears worn out? It could be dangerous.

Worn out mentally. Not physically.  I don’t think it’s Jim Howard’s body we have to worry about right now.  I think it’s gotta be tough to maintain the kind of focus a goalie needs to win in this league when you’re playing as much as Howard is.  Oh, I know. Hasek did it.  But that bastard was in-fuching-sane.  That’s why.  Howard’s not there…yet.

11 points out of a possible 12.  If not for the Friday we’re not speaking of, it could have been perfect.  But at 13-3-2, first place in the West…it’s hard to complain.

And you know what makes it even tougher to find fault with a hockey day like yesterday?  This.

What’s better? That the league’s biggest bitch scores on himself, or that it happened at home, or that the last-place Oilers made fun of him for doing it, or that he walked out throwing a tantrum with seconds left to play?  Suck on it Corey.  You know you want to.  Bitch.

Finally…a big thanks to the So Cal contingent of the 19 who could make it over yesterday to watch the game.  Rumbear, Surfer Ken, Captain Dennis Polonich’s fantastic wife Sylvia and the Captain himself hit the Coronado A2Y headquarters yesterday and we had a great time.  Also, a big thanks to Andrew from Ann Arbor for the gift delivered by the Captain.  One bottle down, another own gone later this afternoon.  You’re a good man Andrew.  Much appreciated.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

perfection's avatar

i can’t find an update on Cleary yet anywhere… the silence has been deafening. not a word since the game of even an estimate of the severity. if he’s out for any period of time, it’s a twisted way to get Babs off the hook for the whole healthy scratch issue. I’ve been waiting for the first injury - it sort of makes the Miller/Eaves rotation seem like a savvy move because now both can step in playing at the top of their game.

i mean Cleary’s probably ok (seeing that he was alright enough to go start shit after)... although it did look to me that he was trying to get injured on every shift in the second period before it finally worked. Even Mickey had gone out to say that Cleary takes some of the most dangerous hits of anyone in the league. Few minutes later, he’s gone for the night. I assume one of the diggers will wake up soon enough and get down to the rink to get us an update. But that might be too much to ask for.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 11/22/10 at 02:51 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

Preparing my “Datten needs more foals” banner for H2H2 as we speak.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 11/22/10 at 02:53 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Re: Cleary, day to day, bell rung and shoulder.  Wanted to play, but team held him out.

All per Khan.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 11/22/10 at 03:25 PM ET

hockeychic's avatar

I’m so glad you put up the Perry video.  That just made my week (well, that and the Wings coming from behind to pull that game out yesterday).

So Ericsson is o.k.?  Was so worried about him and Cleary too.  Still just in disbelief over that game.  WOW.

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 11/22/10 at 03:32 PM ET

perfection's avatar

great news… he’s one of those guys - along with Franzen and Kronwall - that you expect to be out either a month or 5 months at some point every season. hoping this gets it out of his system.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 11/22/10 at 03:32 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Well that lowers Defcon status to three instead of the previous four…thanks Paul.

Jimmy saves, there’s no doubt about it, but I think Ozzie is going to shine in December. It’s about time for some old Wizard magic…or at least one sure as hell hopes so.

Posted by mrfluffy from the phone, calling Detroit, telling them it's on 11/22/10 at 03:33 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

Chief is so right that there is just so much to dissect on those two plays, so I ain’t even gonna try.  But damn that was sweeeet!

Relatively good news on Cleary.  The guy’s a difference-maker.  Saw the Perry own goal last night and laughed LOUD.  Damn near a perfect day!!

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 11/22/10 at 03:41 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

Joey MacDonald is not a backup. He’s an emergency.

some people (you) have the ability to do things other people (me) don’t.  in this case, it’s saying so much with so few words.  poetic.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 11/22/10 at 04:24 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

Wanted to play, but team held him out.

unfortunately that doesn’t help me much.  as far as Cleary’s attitude toward playing…

it’s just a flesh wound!  put me in, coach!

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 11/22/10 at 04:28 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

my fiance, after I showed her highlights of March 26, 1997…suggested we get married on…March 26.

yeah.

anyway, March is cutting it a bit close as far as planning and all that, so we decided on June 11.

I did warn her that the Stanley Cup Finals are usually the first couple weeks of June.

and you know what she said?  if there’s a game on June 11 we’ll just set up a big-screen at the reception.

so, uh, yeah.  she gets it.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 11/22/10 at 04:40 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

Thanks Chief. Looks like at least one member of the19 has been nice this year.

An early Christmas present all wrapped up in jolly laughter. Bitches.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 11/22/10 at 04:55 PM ET

Sullyosis's avatar

But if the Red Wings are in the Finals they’ll be over sooner, since Gary will try mashing the first two games into two nights after a 1 day break from the WCF.  So yeah, shouldn’t take more than 6 days to play 4 games (wherein we sweep Boston, btw).

Posted by Sullyosis from A hateful lair in Post Apocalyptic US (or Arizona) on 11/22/10 at 04:55 PM ET

MarkK's avatar

I’m certain that kid is wearing a Wings Winter classic t-shirt.

Posted by MarkK from Maryland on 11/22/10 at 05:03 PM ET

MarkK's avatar

Ignore that f-word.

Posted by MarkK from Maryland on 11/22/10 at 05:06 PM ET

joedaiceman's avatar

With moves like that for the GWG, Nick forgot he was a defenseman. I swear I could have closed my eyes and guessed it was Datsyuk that slipped that pass pass Kipper. What’s all this crap about Kipper almost stopped it? Who the hell cares. I almost won the lottery, but the bank ain’t accepting that as a deposit.

Posted by joedaiceman on 11/22/10 at 05:09 PM ET

Gabriel's avatar

But at 13-3-2, first place in the West…it’s hard to complain.

Not only that, we’re only 2 points behind the league leader but with three games in hand. For over a decade, this team has been the standout leader in every single team statistic imaginable. Players from Yzerman on down have demonstrated a willingness to sacrifice personal numbers for the sake of the team.  And yet…remind me again, who’s the face of this league?

Posted by Gabriel from San Diego, CA on 11/22/10 at 05:24 PM ET

I stayed up last night watching youtube user RedWing1340’s upload of the last 25 seconds and the OT GWG by TPH.  I got drunk on it.

As always, thanks to the Emperor for the update on Cleary.  Willa probably got rung last night and I wasn’t all that worried as much as I was about Cleary.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 11/22/10 at 05:29 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

I must have watched that video 20 times already.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 11/22/10 at 05:32 PM ET

edillac's avatar

I thought we were all about swagger this year,I mean Wings have loads of points, they can start an emergency backup if they want to.
and JoeyMac deserves a game,screw it,Babs can tell him no pressure,take it easy,give it a go,no worries,Ozzie blows-I mean forget that one, try one out,maybe a decent game could do something for his confidence

Posted by edillac from isolation on 11/22/10 at 05:43 PM ET

I must have watched that video 20 times already.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 11/22/10 at 02:32 PM ET

I love the crowd reaction at the Joe.  They knew something special was going on and damn if they’re going to leave.  The anticipation when Datsyuk broke free from Kostopolous’ ridiculously blatant clutching and grabbing and Zetterberg sneaking in from the weak side proves once again that NOBODY not one fanbase in the NHL knows how to watch a hockey game better than HockeyTown USA.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 11/22/10 at 05:43 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Another noticeable thing was only the Zetterman knew what Datysuk was trying to do and chugged up the ice as fast as he could. Never say die.

Posted by mrfluffy from the phone, calling Detroit, telling them it's on 11/22/10 at 06:10 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

I’m swearing off the swaggerisms until I see the Wings annihilate a team in the first ten minutes - instead of the last ten minutes.

That is all.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 11/22/10 at 06:27 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Suck it, rest of the NHL.

You’re jealous, and you should be.

And, where is that Munchkin Jimmy from Windsor? Bitch has been awfully quiet so far this year.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie, MI on 11/22/10 at 06:40 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Beautiful.

June 12th, 2009, Stanley Cup Finals Game 7 vs Valentine’s Day. My lady accepted going out the day before. She’s a keeper.

Great players/teams are like that. Michael Jordan sometimes would drift away from the game, then find himself a little challenge (aiming at 20 pts in the 4th quarter, getting a rebound over a big center, stuff like that) and he’d accomplish it.

Late game heroics I remember: West clincher in ‘09, in OT; empty-netter against Denver on New Year’s Day (when he also had a shortie); the 52 saves game when He scored with 17 seconds left; yesterday.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 11/22/10 at 06:54 PM ET

Gabriel's avatar

You have a probem watching an animal play with its food?

Posted by Gabriel from San Diego, CA on 11/22/10 at 06:55 PM ET

joedaiceman's avatar

You have a probem watching an animal play with its food?

Just beautiful !!!

Posted by joedaiceman on 11/22/10 at 07:09 PM ET

Osrt's avatar

An angry sad Correy Perry failing to comprehend why the universe hates him…

...it’s just so beautiful. No, no, these are tears of joy honey.

Posted by Osrt on 11/22/10 at 09:33 PM ET

pucked up's avatar

Just got off the phone with my brother whose best bud was at the Joe last night.  Said it was like there were high voltage power lines strapped to the underside of every seat and connected to some giant unseen generator painted red and white. Like you knew your a** was going to get a massive jolt and every fan was begging for the current to rip up through them and lay them to waste.  He described it as frenzied confidence, and in hearing that and watching the video until I was bleary eyed, I can honestly say that I would have killed someone to be at that game.

It’s not going to make or break our season, but dammit it was the stuff to remember.

Posted by pucked up on 11/22/10 at 09:39 PM ET

Posted by pucked up on 11/22/10 at 06:39 PM ET

That’s gorgeous.  Only Wings fans know this feeling.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 11/22/10 at 09:49 PM ET

Osrt's avatar

“We need those guys to be special,’’ Babcock said. “We split them up today. They love playing together. I know that. I don’t know if I was just going to try to make them mad and get them going, but it didn’t really matter.’‘

Via Kahn.

There are two people in the world that really understand Babbles: The Joker and Iwo. You sick fuch.

Kenny is Batman in this analogy. Chief stars as himself.

Posted by Osrt on 11/22/10 at 11:03 PM ET

sean's avatar

That game-winning pass brought to you by a weak piece of carbon-fiber.  Boy, if the tables were turned, Mickey would have gone bananas!

Also, gotta love Lids’ iceman-esque demeanor on that play.  I would have been smackin’ my stick on the ice, yelling, etc..  He was sneakin’, for sure.

Posted by sean on 11/22/10 at 11:22 PM ET