Abel to Yzerman

Anyone For A “Pummeling”?

Well, well…for an exhibition, more than a few people proved they’re in February form last night.

Chris Osgood looked (I mean sounded….thanks Gary. ass) exactly the way we remembered him: hapless.

Brooks Orpik played precisely the way we remembered him: like a piece of garbage coward.

And Thid Rosby ducked out with cramps when rumors surfaced that he might get hit.

Let’s start with the most serious.  Johan Franzen left with a “charley horse” after Orpik attempted to injure him with a knee-on-knee in the first period.

DetNews

Coach Mike Babcock talked Wednesday morning about the Red Wings-Penguins rivalry.

Well, it just got ratcheted up a few rungs.

That’s Kulfan and I suppose he’s right.  Orpik went after Franzen and attempted to seriously injure him.  And yes he did.  He stuck his knee out, according to reports.  He’s a professional hockey player, an Olympian, wears an “A”...he knew what he was doing.  It wasn’t “reflex”, it was intent.  Orpik’s a scumbag and he went after Franzen’s knee.

JJ from Kansas/Winging it in Motown

Preseason or not, there’s absolutely no reason for the that play.  I’ve yet to see video, but I’ve heard it described as one of those last-second bad decisions.  That’s all well and good to write it off as an “oops”, but it’s a serious problem.  For a player like Orpik who plays with an edge, the mindset needs to change.  I hope he loses regular season time for this.  For anybody who wishes to tell me to reserve judgment until after I’ve seen video, I’d like to answer that I trust Ken Kal’s description and I trust that it was a dirty hit based on the five-minute kneeing major and the game misconduct Orpik received.  I do want to see the video, but I’m going to have to see evidence that the play was not dirty to change the opinion I have based on the current information.  Orpik does not get the benefit of the doubt here.

Concur.  So, Todd Bertuzzi followed that with what Khan(!) immediately called a “pummeling.”

Let’s all climb on our unicorns and gallop to our happy place, the one with midget hookers fanning Jiri Hudler with pint-sized rolled up posters of Phoebe Cates in all her “Fast Times” glory, fire trucks sit idly by waiting for the puppies and the kids all have Charleston Chews because it’s still frigging hot in Tawas even though it’s mid-September. Get there now and let’s pretend that Franzen’s ok, that it is actually just a charley horse.  There? Great.  Because even if that’s the case we’re still looking at troublesome news for the Wings.

Forget the exhibition game (except for Osgood giving up 5 on 27 over two periods…don’t forget that shit), and let’s focus on what George told us on his way out of TC: the Franzen, Bert, Wally line needs all the time together they can get because they’re not really on the same page yet.

Clearly Bertuzzi was thinking the same thing when he went after Orpik.  In my imagination, the one Little Gary forced me to use because he wouldn’t let me watch this game on tv, Bertuzzi saw Orpik try to end Franzen’s career with a knee-on-knee and went bat-shit frigging Bundy on him.  Frothing, pounding his fists into Orpik’s ears and forehead.  Ten, thirty punches, maybe more.  Khan(!), that master of prose, said Bertuzzi “pummeled” him so that’s what must have happened.  Stu Nahan, like he did in II, might have referred to it as “plain old butchering”.  Did it happen that way?  We’ll never know, only the fifty thousand Pens “fans” filling the House That Gary Built on the banks of the Kansas City/Hamilton reservoir know for sure.

But, at the least we know this:  in his first opportunity to prove that some sociopathic tendencies still reside in that blackened soul of his? Todd Bertuzzi went after a guy who needed his ass kicked.  That’s a good thing.  We need that and hopefully Bert’s reached a place in his life where he feels comfortable enough to be mean to people who deserve it.

Holland and all the diggers are telling us Franzen wasn’t seriously hurt.  Strong chance that everyone’s lying to us? Absolutely.  We could easily find out today that Orpik’s dirty maneuver results in months of rehab for 93.  We’re used to it, so just do it.  Violate us quickly with that news so that the anticipation of it isn’t worse than the actual thing.  We’ll find out today, according to Tick Tock in Khan(!)‘s “pummeling” story.  TT says they’ll be looking for swelling, etc.

Meanwhile, I’m sure there will be no suspension for Orpik (or Malkin, in case you were still waiting).  Obvious attempts to destroy another player’s knee just don’t carry the same weight these days, eh Gary?  No, I didn’t think so.

And so I have a few questions, since the Troll Commissioner wouldn’t let me watch the game:

Salei played 22 minutes. Modano played 17. I’d like to know how each of them looked.  I want to know if Willa looked fast or lethargic.

Ericsson played 25 minutes last night,  the most of any Wing.  That’s by design and you know it is.  Uncle Mike is gonna test that kid this season and the pressure’s on.  You don’t show glimpses of brilliance like he did two years ago, then expect people like Babcock to forget about them.  Kindl played 24.  He’s clearly going to have plenty of time to prove himself the next few weeks too.

A few more: how’d McCollum look, and little Filppula?  I guess we’ll find out more tomorrow night against Chicago, another “meaningless” exhibition game between two teams that hate each other.  Hate like Pens/Wings hate?  Nope.  Not yet, but getting there, especially with a home/home this Friday and Saturday.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

Nathan's avatar

It’s really hard to judge without having been able to see the game. Hopefully it wasn’t a dirty play, but if it was, he should be suspended. But probably won’t be. Whatever, at this point I really don’t care, I just hope Franzen is fine.

Can’t say I’m surprised about Osgood though. Obviously nobody cares about Ws and Ls in the preseason, so I say Babs should just ride Osgood here and see exactly what he has and if he can truly have a 1A/1B with Howard, or if he needs to forget it and roll Howie again.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 09/23/10 at 10:15 AM ET

Matt Saler's avatar

I know it’s fun and easy to pile on Osgood, but come on, Bill. The Lashoff/Meech pairing was a combined -7. Tell me that had nothing to do with it.

Obviously, Osgood wasn’t incredibly sharp, but the Penguins stomped all over the Wings’ baby rabbit pairing and poured the blood and cuts down Osgood’s throat. It was a defense lacking three of the top four guys and a forward corps missing a Selke-winner and another guy who could have won it a couple times that lost that one, not strictly goaltending.

Posted by Matt Saler from Grand Rapids, MI on 09/23/10 at 10:16 AM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

yup. no big surprises, the good,  the bad, and the bfugly. Jimmah’s the man, they both know it. No sophomore slump for JH, just a surging ahead to be the Cup winning goalie in Detroit for the next few seasons.

Posted by Rdwings28 on 09/23/10 at 10:19 AM ET

I’ll admit that when I did hear Ericsson’s name last night, it was because he was taking a shot or playing the body on someone. I can’t think of a specific instance where Ken and Paul were talking about him being out of position or not making a play. Chief, you’re absolutely right in that Babcock is going to throw him out there in all situations to see how he reacts. If he messes it up, then at least the games don’t count.

Posted by GrahamWIIM from Chicago via Toronto on 09/23/10 at 10:28 AM ET

Osrt's avatar

Link to a photo of the hit

That’s the closest thing I’ve seen so far.

Obviously, I hope Franzen is ok but I’m really glad to hear Bert responded. That means a lot, especially on a night Downey got his asskicked. But Tuzzi might have done more to solidify that line than playing the rest of the game would have.

Meech is getting lost in all this. He played well during the scrimmage but may have just lost his spot because of his concussion, which is supposed to put him out at least a week. That really sucks for him; he doesn’t even have the chance to show what he can do for other teams.

Posted by Osrt on 09/23/10 at 10:30 AM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

Osgood gave up at least 3 goals in 13 out of his 23 games played last year Matt. I’d say last night was February form for him.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 09/23/10 at 10:42 AM ET

Chief, you don’t have the same amount of hate for Little Brother that you do for the Pens? Come to the city for a Wings/Hawks game; I guarantee that by the end of it, you will wish for many bad, painful things to happen to every single Hawks fan.

Posted by GrahamWIIM from Chicago via Toronto on 09/23/10 at 10:51 AM ET

HeilThom's avatar

It starts.

Posted by HeilThom from Hockeytown, USA on 09/23/10 at 10:55 AM ET

w2j2's avatar

Great news about Bertuzzi.
This means he is not only comfortable as a Wing.
Even more, he has put the past behind him and he is willing to fight for his teammates.
Shades of the Betuzzi we remember from his Vancouver days!

Posted by w2j2 on 09/23/10 at 11:09 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Beauty!

I don’t expect the same thug douchebaggery from anyone on in-division rivals the BlackHawks, whom we play six times in the regular season and six more when we defeat them in the Western Conference Finals.  When you can’t run and hide from someone you don’t do cowardly things, but the Penis can and did.

You expect nastiness to develop in the playoffs, not in a meaningless tryout game before the season.

Posted by RWBill on 09/23/10 at 11:14 AM ET

Wings_Fan_In_KC's avatar

Orpik = PoS Coward

I’m glad Bert beat the stuffin’ outta him.

Posted by Wings_Fan_In_KC from ...somewhere southwest of The Motor City... on 09/23/10 at 11:25 AM ET

AndrewFromAnnArbor's avatar

Clearly Bertuzzi was thinking the same thing when he went after Orpik.

Damn good to see that, that he’ll serve as a part-time enforcer in addition to his other duties, and earn that 28% raise he got over the summer.  As for what he was thinking?  He just saw the guy who he has the most chemistry with on the team get knocked out of the game and who knows for how long, by a dirty hit.  He saw his point totals halved if Mule spends another three months on the sidelines.  He saw any potential cash that he could make and then split with Moore’s lawyer drop significantly.  In short, he saw red.  And he responded like an enraged bull is supposed to.

Just…what happened to the solid, crablike Ozzie from training camp?  And you can mention a lousy defense, but McCollum didn’t have a suddely better defense in front of him for a whole third period and still have a .818 save percentage.

It would take more of their bandwagoner fans figuring out the internet and trolling to do that.  I never figured Chicagoans could be so technologically illerate.

Forklift?  You out there?

Not to play devil’s advocate here JJ, but as Wings fans, we know that the refs don’t always get it right.  That being said, this is Orpik we’re talking about.  There’s precedent for him being a dirty player.

Hope Orpik has a concussion from a Unabomber right hook that keeps him out as long as Mule.

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 09/23/10 at 11:26 AM ET

Matt Saler's avatar

Sorry, Chief, I don’t think you can make that assumption. It’s impossible to look at a boxscore in a vacuum and fairly assume the goalie was practically sidestepping shots like Osgood was in February. All we can say is that he clearly wasn’t as sharp as he needed to be for this particular game. That doesn’t mean he was in February form. It’s not all or nothing. Or it shouldn’t be. If Jimmy has the same exact game, everyone’s laughing and saying, “Oh, Jimmy, haha, no worries. Just a pre-season game, bro, and your defense sucked. Keep your nose to grindstone or whatever.”

From the evidence contained in the audio record of the game, it sounds like the defense played like crap in front of him. Or at least the pairings that ended up mattering did. I know it’s a popular way of thinking in Detroit that the goalie should just stop it all no matter what, but that’s not realistic. You get a bad defense that’s allowing free flow to the front of the net, pucks are occasionally going to get in for anyone short of the ‘99 version of Dominik Hasek.

Maybe I’m splitting hairs here, but I tend to think it’s a little too early to be taking dumps on Osgood before anyone here has actually, you know, seen him play. Even accounting for the sport that is Osgood bashing in Hockeytown.

Posted by Matt Saler from Grand Rapids, MI on 09/23/10 at 11:39 AM ET

Krononymous's avatar

Let’s hope it’s not Deja vu all over again but it sure feels like it.  I hate myself for saying that.

Posted by Krononymous on 09/23/10 at 11:42 AM ET

Twig's avatar

since i was also forced to use my imagination for the pummeling, i think it went something like this:

bert sees orpik try to retire franzen, so bert charges him. he pulls out two uzi’s, aims one at orpik’s face, the other at his balls and tells him to kick his own ass. so orpik starts decking himself until he’s bloody. meanwhile, rosby is ducking behind the pittsburgh bench, sobbing uncontrollably, because he happened to look up and see jimmah in the pressbox wearing his catching glove and making a facewash gesture at him.

that’s how i pictured it anyways.

Posted by Twig from Houston, TX on 09/23/10 at 11:43 AM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Not ironic, actual question: did the pairings changed when McCollum was on net?

Dude, haven’t you met us? We’d be freaking out about a sophomore slum and making excuses like “he played better when playing a shitload of games”.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 09/23/10 at 11:48 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

Just for the record, I’m not dumping on Ozzie, just saying, based on his terrible season last year and what was frankly also mostly a terrible regular season the year before, I think they should play him a ton this preseason. Got to know what’s there anymore. Can’t experiment with it during the regular season.

As for Meech… big bummer for him. Can’t catch a break.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 09/23/10 at 11:50 AM ET

pomthillips's avatar

What is the likelihood that footage of the hit comes out later?  Does that ever happen in the preseason?

Also, I now want to go to that March 21st game and sit behind the Penguins bench and insult every single member of Orpik’s family. stupid shitt, flightless-bird team, worse-than-Detroit city…why is it that all of their dirtiest players have woman names?

If I were from Pittsburgh, I would kill myself every day.

Posted by pomthillips from Royal Oak on 09/23/10 at 11:51 AM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

As the biggest Osgood supporter of the 19, I agree with the concern. If he doesn’t have it anymore then so be it.

Until then, I will continue to worry aboot him being able to handle his duties.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 09/23/10 at 11:55 AM ET

Matt Saler's avatar

Not ironic, actual question: did the pairings changed when McCollum was on net?

Well, they changed when Meech went down, but I don’t know to what, but by then the damage was already done. As for the third period, my guess is the Pens backed off a bit. Or at least that’s how it sounded.

Maybe to a degree, but this ragging on Osgood is a special form of commentary in Detroit. Freaking out about Jimmy in that way would be entirely different than what we’re talking about with Osgood here.

Absolutely agree. He does have to play a lot here. And I think that’ll pay off. I keep saying this, but it bears repeating: he looked focused in camp and that should translate to on-ice success, last night notwithstanding. Just hang on. If it doesn’t… he truly is done. Which would be sad.

Posted by Matt Saler from Grand Rapids, MI on 09/23/10 at 11:55 AM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

It was just a matter of time before the Unibomber started sending mail bombs again.  I hope this is a sign of things to come.

Fuch with my team your fuching with your life.  Kill ‘em, Bert.  Kill ‘em.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 09/23/10 at 11:57 AM ET

pomthillips's avatar

And god dammit I love Bertuzzi.  He messed up before but now he’s one of us.  Ken Holland never would have encouraged Bert to take someone out like Brian Burke and Marc Crawford undoubtedly did.

In fact, when we play the stupid flightless birds in March, you know that Holland and Uncle Mike will tell Bertuzzi NOT to seek any sort of retribution.

That’s the difference between the Red Wings and other teams in the league - class.

Posted by pomthillips from Royal Oak on 09/23/10 at 11:57 AM ET

That’s because we will have locked up the division by then and we are just playing out the string, trying to stay healthy before the playoffs. But that doesn’t mean that if Crosby ends up in front of Jimmy that he’s not on the receiving end of a small love tap.

Posted by GrahamWIIM from Chicago via Toronto on 09/23/10 at 12:04 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

In the words of the Wings’ future captain (paraphrasing as I can’t find the original quote) spoken during the 2009 series with the *ucks-

“If you want to come at us with dirty plays, fine with us, we’re going on the power play.”

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 09/23/10 at 12:07 PM ET

pomthillips's avatar

A small love tap that would probably result in a suspension 5 games longer than Orpik’s suspension (you don’t mess with Little Gary’s golden goose)

Posted by pomthillips from Royal Oak on 09/23/10 at 12:08 PM ET

pomthillips's avatar

That’s a tight quote…when did Meech say that?

Posted by pomthillips from Royal Oak on 09/23/10 at 12:11 PM ET

BTCBen's avatar

Chief, Since I was in attendance I’ll try to answer as many of your questions as I can without turing this into another entire post of my own:

Orpik’s “hit”: I saw the whole thing unfold as Franzen was coming up in the rush.  Orpik was beat by Franzen’s speed and his own flat-footedness.  I don’t think the hit was “intentional” in the sense of injury, but it was intentional in the sense of stopping Franzen from getting free clearance to the net.  It was a blatant sticking out of the knee.  Minimum he should get 3-5 regular season games for it…but we all know he won’t.  There is no excuse for a play like that in the pre-season, especially when I don’t think Brooks Orpik is exactly fighting for his spot on the roster.  It was a dirty and stupid play that is well worth a suspension.  Even some Pens fans I know admitted it was a “bad call” at best by Orpik.

Bertuzzi: He turned right around after the hit and came out swinging on Orpik.  Good to see from Bert.  It was probably one of the most legitimate hockey fights I’ve seen in a while.  Bert looked possessed and got a few good punches in on Orpik.  Orpik barely had a chance to fight back the whole time.

Salei: Looked fantastic for being our #5 defenseman.  I cannot say enough about how excited I am to have a rock-solid and sturdy guy back there.  He was consistently solid the entire evening and I’ve got NO complaints about his performance.  He has decent movement on the offensive side, but he is much more suited to sturdy play in the Wings zone and in just getting the puck back out as quickly as possible.

Modano: Bland.  He was good at times in that he can still skate, he won some key faceoffs, he can send and receive passes with the best of them.  At other times though, he looked sluggish backchecking, one goal being a direct result of him not marking his man coming back up the ice.  I think he’s still worth the money we’ll pay him, but he is definitely suited for more of 12-14 minutes a night I think.

Ericsson: Played OK.  Frustrating at times when he would commit poor turnovers or get caught too far up in the rush. (He was behind the Pens goal at least twice in the game) Still though, for playing against Malkin and Crosby a significant amount of time, he looked alright and acquitted himself well.  He’s still growing, and I think Kindl is going to challenge him to keep his game up, but the fact that the Big Rig was an Even +/- in this game was very encouraging considering everyone else kinda sucked in that department.

Kindl: Looked decent.  He made some of the same mistakes that Big Rig makes occasionally in trying to do too much offensively, but to note that he was also an even +/- is a nice addition.  He moved real well and I think he has a better presence at the point right now than Big Rig.  I like Kindl and I think he’ll be ready to step in if/when we have any blueline injuries (please Jobu no….)

McCollum: Looked alright.  He gave up some pretty juicy rebounds a la Tiberius anytime before last December.  He didn’t give up a goal though and played strong.  Granted by the 3rd he was mostly playing against the Pens 4th line and guys from the minors.  Still a decent showing.

Other Filp:  He needs some SERIOUS work in GR.  He didn’t seem to be able to keep up at all with the Pens and was consistently rubbed off the puck.  I’d like to see him do well, but I see no way he makes it to the big club anytime soon.

Finally, Ozzie:  He gave up some bad rebounds.  However, in all honesty, I think only 1 of the 5 goals can be attributed to him.  The other 4 the defense got beat…and beat really bad.  Meech, who I do pray gets better, was atrocious.  At one point Sid stepped right around him and was able to get more or less a breakaway shot for a goal on ozzie.  At multiple times Lashoff and Meech were terribly out of position.  Stuart was alright, but playing against Crosby and Malkin all night will get you a couple minuses.  Frankly, Ozzie didn’t look terrible, but our bottom D-men were really, truly, awful.

Let’s hope for continued development of the lines and I’d like to see more of Ritola…looked pretty good last night as well.  Sorry this was so long, but I figure the 19 would appreciate some “in house’ perspective.  Fuch the Pens.  LGRW.

Posted by BTCBen on 09/23/10 at 12:19 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Posted by BTCBen from Pittsburgh, PA on 09/23/10 at 10:19 AM ET

Awesome, man.

Just sent an email to the address on your site.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 09/23/10 at 12:28 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Yeah, I get that and I understand.  I still have to be convinced that it wasn’t a dirty hit though, especially considering I can’t imagine refs give out many majors/game misconducts in preseason.

Plus, I haven’t seen a Penguins fan who had anything nicer to say about the hit than what BTCBen laid out, they just did it with an assumed shoulder shrug and “what-are-you-gonna-do-shit-happens?” spin to the way they’ve written it up.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 09/23/10 at 12:30 PM ET

BTCBen's avatar

Thanks J.J.  Just sent a reply your way via email.

Posted by BTCBen on 09/23/10 at 12:34 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Thanks Ben.

Posted by RWBill on 09/23/10 at 12:44 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Gosh, I’d almost forgotten what it was like to start the day with a “the sky is falling” post from the Chief – in spite of the best efforts of a legion of hookers, puppies and fire trucks. Game on.

Like others here, I’m thrilled to see that Bert is starting to show his teeth again. Okay, bad analogy since he doesn’t have any teeth. So let’s call it his “snarly” side. When Mule gets back, those two could cause some serious mayhem (of the legal kind only) on the ice. Great to see.

And thanks for the Malik-like report, BTC.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 09/23/10 at 01:10 PM ET

Forlorn in VA's avatar

Posted by BTCBen from Pittsburgh, PA on 09/23/10 at 10:19 AM ET

Thank you so much for this!

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 09/23/10 at 01:13 PM ET

rrasco's avatar

Thanks for the details Ben.  I’m still hoping someone gets some footage up, even if it is a cam video.

Looking at the box score, the pens had 20 shots in the first period, that alone tells you a bit about how our defense was playing.  It appears to have settled down after all the shit hit the fan, but as someone said above, the damage was already done.

Last night I was out so I couldn’t listen to the game, but the first time I checked on the game it was nearing the end of 2, the score sheet said 5-1 in favor of the goons, and the penalty summary told a story of its own.  I was disgusted, then enthralled at what I saw.  The 5 on the scoreboard is not what caught my attention, it was all the 5s and 10s in the penalty summary.  Downey was apparently reinforcing his enforcement role.  Then a kneeing major?  Has anyone ever seen a kneeing penalty before?  And a major at that?  Then the fisticuffs that followed from The Tuzzi.  Man would I have loved to see this game, as I’m sure we all would.  Everything seems to have settled down after the 1st period, but Stuart and Kennedy did end up with unsportsmanlike minors as well, so maybe there should have been a third round?

I can’t say much else, seeing as how none of us actually watched the game (insert obligatory anti-bettman statement), but I’m disgusted at how things unfolded and I wasn’t capable of witnessing it, even in tape-delay-form.

Posted by rrasco from TEXAS on 09/23/10 at 01:32 PM ET

FranzensMouthguard's avatar

Thanks Ben, good stuff!

Pens fans on my facebook have been yapping all day about how we suck and we’re old, yadda yadda yadda.

Posted by FranzensMouthguard from Chicago, IL on 09/23/10 at 01:36 PM ET

BTCBen's avatar

Perhaps the opinion that matters most…Straight from the Mule himself, Craig Custance is twittering: @CraigCustance

Johan Franzen thought Brooks Orpik’s hit last night was suspension-worthy: “It was terrible.”

Posted by BTCBen on 09/23/10 at 01:48 PM ET

CaptNorris5's avatar

Jeeeeheesus Chrimany.

Already?

We’re already going to pile on Ozzie? For a game we haven’t seen? With defensemen in front of him that couldn’t clear rebounds or stop rushes?

Fuching really?

I’ll wait. Sounds like dude had a great training camp. Sounds like he’s got his head on right over the offseason. And as long as we’re trusting Ken Kal, he didn’t seem too quick to say it was all Ozzies fault. I heard a lot of defensive breakdowns, a lot of uncared for rebounds, and a deflection or two. Would I have liked the Wizzard to do better? Absolutely. Am I willing to take one preseason effort with a third of a roster, an injured dman, against a team thats icing their top line and use it as an excuse to motherfuch a true team player with three fuching rings?

No. Sounds about as bad as a pens troll shouting “OsBAD! LOLOLOLZLZLLZZ!”

Posted by CaptNorris5 from The Winged Wheel, stuck in Chicago on 09/23/10 at 01:55 PM ET

AndrewFromAnnArbor's avatar

But that doesn’t mean that if Crosby ends up in front of Jimmy that he’s not on the receiving end of a small face wash.

Fixt.

Very excellent, thanks.  Elaborate on Ritola, will you?  From what I’ve seen, all he can offer us currently is some abrasive physical forward play, which he’s always been underrated at (I’ve loved this aspect of his game, but that can’t be the only one), but if we want him to bring an offensive dimension, then…dunno.

Plus, I haven’t seen a Penguins fan who had anything nicer to say about the hit

Got a point there, JJ.  There’s NO defense of the hit coming from any trolls, so that’s got to mean something.  Honestly speaking, knowing as much as you know, I actually agree with you in that it was probably dirty—just wanted to point out that the refs thinking something’s dirty hardly makes it so.

Pens fans on my facebook

That’s what you get for friending classless scum.

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 09/23/10 at 01:56 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Next you’re going to try to tell me that Brad May scored in a game against Dallas last year.  wink

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 09/23/10 at 01:59 PM ET

moocat's avatar

that’s how i pictured it anyways.

Posted by Twig from Houston, TX on 09/23/10 at 09:43 AM ET