Abel to Yzerman

Add A New Name: Cam Barker

Yeah, I know. You like the Polish guy. So do I. He’s ornery.  But as you may know, Cam Barker was released by the Wild today and that sounds downright interesting…

Russo’s Rants

According to sources, the Wild placed defenseman Cam Barker on waivers at 11 a.m.—the first necessary step to likely buying him out. If he clears, it’ll be 11 a.m. Wednesday. Then he’d have to run through waivers again to be bought out.  Barker, if bought out, would become an unrestricted free agent Friday.

Young, good shot, yet underachieving.  Guys like that, you know, achieve in Detroit.  Guess who saw this coming?

This guy, on 17 June.

Off Wing View

Cam Barker is a guy I’ve always liked, even though he’s played most of his career so far for Chicago. The Blackhawks dumped him at the deadline a year ago in a salary cap move, but it also landed them stud defensive prospect Nick Leddy. Minnesota would probably take a redo on that one if given the option. Even still, Barker is a solid player who put up 40 points just two seasons ago, but seems out of place in Minnesota. He could be moved.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Jordan_NOHS's avatar

I’m all about getting this done. *#$%@& Error’sson, lets snag this kid off re-entry waivers at half the hit and sign him to an extension for whatever we were going to give that big piece of shit.

Posted by Jordan_NOHS from Detroit, MI on 06/28/11 at 03:21 PM ET

Leo_Racicot's avatar

<eyebrow raises>

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 06/28/11 at 03:23 PM ET

Why not both?

Posted by Garth on 06/28/11 at 03:24 PM ET

WingsFaninCO's avatar

I believe if you listen closely you can HEAR Kenny smiling smugly.

Give this boy a year with Norris Nick and the structure that is the Detroit Red Wings and that word “underachieving” will no longer be paired with his name.  I’ll buy that for $1.5M/year in a heartbeat.

Posted by WingsFaninCO on 06/28/11 at 03:38 PM ET

tgummerer's avatar

He’s on waivers an I don’t think he will be put on re-entry, so it will be the full $3M salary. But I like the idea of bringing him in.

Posted by tgummerer on 06/28/11 at 03:55 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

$3M for Cam Barker is ridiculously high.  I like the thought of bringing him in cheap to see if he wants to show the talent he hinted at in Chicago (to keep us from overspending on this year’s free agency and ending up not having the cap room to make a run at Suter next year).

But… I’d rather let him get bought out and then offer him $1.5 to see if he can’t live with making the exact same money (with the buyout) while only coming in at half the cap hit.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 06/28/11 at 04:02 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Eh, not thrilling, but sure. Give it a shot.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 06/28/11 at 04:07 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 06/28/11 at 02:02 PM ET

This.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 06/28/11 at 04:28 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

$3 million is too much for him, but if he hits re-entry waivers why not put a claim in for him then instead of waiting for the buyout?

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 06/28/11 at 04:29 PM ET

tgummerer's avatar

I don’t think he has to be put on re-entry waivers, just on $125 waivers and can then be bought out. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Posted by tgummerer on 06/28/11 at 04:32 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

That’s my understanding.  He’s on unconditional waivers and then will be bought out.  He does not have to clear re-entry waivers.

A team either takes his $3M salary or signs him as a UFA.  Those are the two choices.  There is no reasonable way to get Cam Barker for $1.5M before July 1st.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 06/28/11 at 04:35 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Cam Barker?  Who?

It’s the fourth of July weekend.  I am too busy working offline to import banned fireworks for the deprived & needy chillern of Sandy Eggo. (aka the Rumbear Youth)  I may even have to go to Orange County….Jeebus, that’s dedication.  Call it community service….that way I can write off the price of gas. Zoom, zoom…..

Carry on.

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, hanging with Dan Cleary.... on 06/28/11 at 05:59 PM ET

AndrewFromAnnArbor's avatar

Cam Barker?  Sh*t, I never saw that comin’.  Someone get the name of that truck?  I think it said “Hell Yes” on the side…

BTW, Chief, Kenny’s on the phone for you.  He says “STFU.  Until after July First, please.”  Somewhere, Tick Tock is making this happen.  And by December he’ll look like a friggin’ genius.  Again.

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 06/28/11 at 06:52 PM ET

Yeah, I’m definitely interested, too.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 06/28/11 at 07:29 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Cam Barker was released by the Wild

This is exactly what everyone was thinking when they thought “spend $6M on a top four defenseman”.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 06/28/11 at 08:27 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Hey-o, Master Chief.

If cheap, count me in the Cam Barker ferry-boat.

On unrelated news (shocking), I’m belatedly reading Deadspin’s Draft diary and just got this:

Devils take Adam Larsson and his New Wave hair. Pierre McGuire immediately calls it the steal of the draft even though Larsson’s listed comparable is Sami Salo. Then McGuire tells us that the Devils need defense because they have lost Scott Stevens and Ken Daneyko to retirement, and Brian Rafalski and Scott Niedermayer to free agency. Daneyko retired in 2003, Stevens in 2004; Niedermayer left in 2004 and Rafalski in 2007. Pierre McGuire has not watched a Devils game since 2003.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 06/28/11 at 08:44 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

Back in 2008/09, Cam Barker put up 40 points in 68 games for Chicago, in what was essentially his first full NHL season.  The next year he was having a decent follow up year (4 goals, 10 assists, +7 in 51 games) when Chicago traded him to Minnesota—a move that was nothing more than a salary dump.

His career in Minnesota consisted of a 19 game stint (1 goal and 6 assists) after the trade in 2009/10 and an injury-plagued 2010/11 season that saw him play only 52 games due to a lingering back injury (1 goal, 4 assists, -10)...

Although he clearly has yet to live up to the potential that made him a third overall pick, he at least showed some promise early on in Chicago.  Becoming an NHL- caliber defenseman rarely happens overnight though, and I think taking a step back after the trade to Minnesota was actually fairly predictable.  Factor in the back injury last year and I feel like this would be a pretty resaonable risk to take assuming you can get him, as others have suggested, at a cap hit of around $1.5 million.

The guy has the skill set the Wings typically like.  Good skater, puck mover, plays with is head up, makes a good first pass.  He still makes too many mistakes, but he’s also two years younger than Jonathan Ericsson and, in my opinion, has way more upside than the Big Rig.  I think confidence is no doubt an issue at this point in his career but, as the Chief pointed out, the Wings’ style of play might be just what the doctor ordered.

For anything under $2mil, I’d be totally on board with this.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 06/29/11 at 02:45 AM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

I’d way rather see him signed for 3 mil than Errorson signed for 2.

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 06/29/11 at 10:30 AM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

To clarify:  2 Mil is a good fair price for Barker.  1 year at 2 mil.  Let’s see what you got kid.  You play good, then you earn a better contract.  However, if he was to get signed for 3 mil, I feel it would be a better deal than signing Errorson for 2 mil.

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 06/29/11 at 10:33 AM ET

Lucce's avatar

Errorson could favorably play forward…..

Posted by Lucce from Kingdom of Zweden on 06/29/11 at 10:35 AM ET

monkey's avatar

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 06/28/11 at 06:44 PM ET

Bonus:  ALL of those players are now retired.  McGuire is the gift that keeps on giving.  Although I do like the idea of a team drafting in 2011 to fill a hole that opened up in 2003.

Add A New Name: Cam Barker

The price is wrong, Cam.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 06/29/11 at 11:19 PM ET

monkey's avatar

I can’t get over this, actually:  the image of Lou Lamoriello sitting at the draft table, last Friday, thinking “Hot Holy Fudge! Ken Daneyko retired! What are we going to do?”

Posted by monkey from Finland on 06/29/11 at 11:24 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Brilliant.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 06/29/11 at 11:49 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

On the other hand, if it was, oh say Dale Tallon, rather than Lou Lamoriello, then yeah, it kinda makes sense.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 06/30/11 at 05:33 AM ET

AndrewFromAnnArbor's avatar

You can see Milbury doing the same thing, except he’d be thinking, “Crumbs!  Denis Potvin is no longer an Islander!  I MUST have Rory Fitzpatrick!  I think a fair price would be Tavares, Niederreiter, and two first-rounders…”

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 06/30/11 at 09:11 AM ET

monkey's avatar

Now we’re faced with wondering if Mike Milbury, Pierre McGuire, and/or Dale Tallon would have signed J Ericsson for $3.25 million per year.

Tallon would have given him $6 million easy.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 07/01/11 at 12:47 PM ET